Riding Buddies - Calgary/Alberta/Southern BC - IDBDR ride - July 2020

Discussion in 'Canada' started by superfunkomatic, Feb 17, 2020.

Tags:
  1. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Funky Monkey Trunk

Oddometer:
    I'm interested in riding the Idaho Backcountry Discovery Route this summer from Calgary and following the route south to Jarbidge. I will go solo but it would be more fun to go with a small group of riders and make some new connections and friends.

I'm thinking about going in the first or second week of July (Canada Day is midweek this year) and taking 10-12 days return for the trip, although if it takes a day or two longer I have the free time during the summers.

I've had pretty good luck over the years meeting riders from Canada and the US for group rides and some of my long-term riding friends are from those experiences.

If you're interested in going send a quick reply here.

About me as a rider:

• Lots of experience of touring Canada and US over the past almost 20 years
    • Quite a bit of forestry roads and two-track type adventure riding on big bikes (Honda Varadero, Africa Twin, and CRF250L)
    • Pretty easy going guy
    • Not in a hurry and not looking for riding partners that are going to be leaving each other miles behind or lost
    • Not interested in going with 'type A' personalities, close-minded, ultra-rightwing or racist rednecks (plenty of places on this trip are First Nations lands and sites)
    • Like to stop and take pictures and take in the sights but still aim to make reasonable time each day
    • Interested in camping out (I'm fully equipped to camp - spent a month last summer doing just that) - USFS or wild camping (not hotels/motels unless it is biblical rain)
    Mike
  2. *Esox*

*Esox* n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Mike. I plan to do the north half this July. Hooking into the IDBDR south of Missoula. At present there will be three of us but I am the only one firmly committed. Leaving Lethbridge July 1, starting the BDR July 2.
    I'm still a working stiff so my schedual is not flexible.
  3. superfunkomatic

Oddometer:
    That might work. I'll keep in touch as the date gets closer.
  4. Fatallybitten

Fatallybitten Slow and getting slower Supporter

Oddometer:
    A few of us ran the IDBDR from the north the first week on July 2018 and only got as far as Avery before we had to bail due to snow on the high passes. I went back last year in the middle of August to do Avery south to Pierce and then the Lolo Motorway and Magruder Corridor. The passes were open but I had to hang out for two days because of torrential rain to let things dry out. I hope you have better luck with weather and road conditions.

Both year's we headed west from the middle of the Idaho BDR rather than run all the way to Jarbidge and rode the Washington BDR south to north. That was a great way to return to Canada.
    BenzADV59 and Lycan1 like this.
  5. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would love to go, but don't know when I will return from the MOA rally in June??

We did the Idaho route a couple of years ago in September. We got a little bit of snow along the Lolo motorway and the coldest night was about 23F at McGruder Hot Springs.
    Once we dropped out of the mountains near Mountain Home, it got pretty hot......90F in Jarbidge......which was uncomfortable for me.
    It's a great route and not very technical, so keep me in mind if the dates change a bit.

You can also PM me if you want more info.

Cheers
    superfunkomatic likes this.
  6. superfunkomatic

Oddometer:
    I've read from other reports that snow was an issue as well. Thanks for that information.
    I'll have to see then if it's doable at that time of year this year - snow levels and road reports.
    I guess if it is snowed in you have the right idea of detouring back through Washington and doing that route instead. Good idea!

7. Fatallybitten

Fatallybitten Slow and getting slower Supporter

Oddometer:
    The passes on the WABDR are not quite as high Idaho so there is better chance of it being open in early July. It is always a good idea to check the ridebdr.com website before you go to see current road conditions for whichever BDR you are planning to do and, more importantly, to check for any re-routing necessary due to wash outs or other closures. Have fun!!
  8. superfunkomatic

Oddometer:
    Might just go in the second week of July then to give a bit more time for the passes to melt. From what I've read, most years early July is okay but occasionally on a high snow year it's impassible at the highest passes.
  9. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gonna go in September.......hopefully we won't get any snow/extreme cold temps during the ride, but who knows??
    Cheers
  10. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess whats more relevant is what happens this spring, warm winds and heavy rain can reduce the snowpack very quickly, but that does create another set of challenges
  12. superfunkomatic

Oddometer:
    We were out in the mountains here yesterday and there's more snow than normal. It's also been more mild than normal and things are starting to melt about 3-4 weeks ahead of normal. I guess it'll be wait and see.
    I'll keep you posted.

13. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Last week here
    IMG_20200215_112352.jpg
  14. WOLF1090R

WOLF1090R Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Mike, I was just gonna spend more time in BC this July but I’ve been looking at that route too. I’m in Fort Mac now but am a life long Albertan. July is good for me too.

Coming back on the WABDR sounds good too but I’m good with doing it alone.
  15. superfunkomatic

Oddometer:
    Sounds good. I'll let y'all know plans as we get closer to July. Fun to plan though... :)

16. Gerald_G

Gerald_G mostly still a noob.

Oddometer:
    hi Mike.

Sounds like your riding style may be a bit like mine; taking photos etc. I'm probably slower though.

I have subscribed to this thread. I have been invited to join my brother in law and his friend to cover part of the trail this summer too.

Somewhere south, back up to Sandpoint area. I don't know any dates (although we mentioned 4thof july weekend as part of our first conversation).

I doubt if things would mesh, but if they did, maybe I'd be able to join for parts of the southbound route, then meet my group where they plan to start.

How do you plan to travel from Calgary to the border?
  17. superfunkomatic

Oddometer:
    I still haven't solidified dates. I'm likely going to leave on July 6th now - though it depends on snow pack. Avoid Canada Day and Fourth of July craziness on the highways and camping areas.
    You never know our schedules might work. Or we may run into one another down there.
    I'm going to head across Crowsnest (3) to Creston and cross the border there. I was planning to camp just across the border along the Smith River area. Keep the first day to about 7-9 hours.
    Then I'm going to play it by ear for the rest of the way depending on energy level, weather, and any unforeseen issues. I'm anticipating it could be 6-8 days down through the IDBDR route at a reasonable pace.

18. Gerald_G

Gerald_G mostly still a noob.

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a plan, last time I rode the Crowsnest, I got nearly blown off on my 250 by the wind. I wondered about the roads straight across from Elko to south of Moyie lake.
    I read somewhere it is decent on a DS.
  19. superfunkomatic

Oddometer:
    I'm starting to narrow things down a bit. I think leaving on Monday, July 8th seems like the best bet. Travel across the Crowsnest Pass, cross the border at Porthill, and camp the first day at Dirt Oven down Smith Creek Road. If that meshes with y'all let's keep the conversation going.
  20. chevmekanik

chevmekanik Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh so very very tempting to do it again! I won’t give up thinking about it yet?