Riding During Covid-19

Discussion in 'Americas' started by ncj01, Apr 6, 2020.

?

Will you Ride?

1. Grip it and Rip it

35 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. Stay at home no matter what

15 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. You're an irresponsible tool

5 vote(s)
    3.9%
  4. It depends on the conditions in your geography

73 vote(s)
    57.0%
  1. ncj01

ncj01 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What's everyone's position on riding during the CV-19 outbreak?

I'm in Arkansas which is the only southern state w/out a Stay at Home order.
    It's not an urban area, and I only ride back roads.

I have ridden every weekend (in general, but also this past weekend).

I did make it a point to ride at 7/10ths vs my normal 9/10th's however.. or a "non-hospital friendly" pace as i described it via SENA to a riding buddy.

We at at my favorite Cafe, which is so rural it's on a dirt road, and has take-out only, every rider (4) got their OWN picnic table.

At gas stations I didn't even dismount the bike.

//

But i also watched an excellent vid this morning and the guy was saying this was the first time in 23yrs riding he is choosing to stay at home. Of course he's also in metro New Jersey.

//

Whats your perspective?

IMG_7233.jpeg IMG_7230.jpeg IMG_7236.jpg
    Mister D, Parcero, thirsty 1 and 2 others like this.
  2. Barnaby'sDad

Barnaby'sDad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I take the bike out for essential trips. ex. Grocery store. Other than that, I’m staying put these days.
  3. X-wing fighter

X-wing fighter Do or Do not, There is no try!!!!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Helmet laws are there to protect you from yourself. If there is no helmet law where you are, it's your head, do what you want.

Covid-19 is different. If you bash your head, you are now entering a different world of health care than previously. A small crash now stretches resources thinner. Your accident that you weren't counting on and that wasn't your fault, now puts others in Danger...oh but you're selfish and feel entitled to the health care you have paid for all your life........ but the health care system is now comprised..... will you get the quality of care that will save your life?????

Going for a ride these days is much deeper and has further reaching implications than just social distancing.

Just saying, if I'm in a full ER waiting on care and you are rolled into the same ER on a gurney wearing riding gear..... I'll tell them to push you into the street as you made your risk assessment before turning the key and didn't factor anyone else into it.

Prepare for the crash, not the ride is what all of us should be thinking. My last accident, I was in the hospital for 2 weeks. You may not be lockdown yet and the health care system where you are could be business as usual, TODAY! What will it be when you wake up 2weeks from now?

Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now. I don't have a leg to stand on yet, as I just dug my snow mobile out of the snow in my yard twice and I was wishing while digging, that I would rather be riding my motorcycle.

Just consider all the ramifications of your "social distancing" ride. It's not all about passing the disease.
  4. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would say if you have to go for a ride (which I do), go by yourself, not with four other riders.
    camgregus, sieg and shu like this.
  5. Dracula

Dracula aficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    This thread could generate a lot of heated arguments. And the answer is always "it depends" much more so today than ever. If you expect medical care when injured and you live in an area with current medical challenges, those shaming you to stay in place are right. But only on one side of the coin, the human one towards doctors and dying patients. As far as the other side, the insurance co's have been fattening their wallets since beginning of the time so there's no excuse for the unpreparedness we are facing. Let's just be honest and call things what they are, this country runs on dollars.
    kwthom likes this.
  6. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    riding... life is short
    cprbusa, sieg and Parcero like this.
  7. tellicotom

tellicotom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well...I understand the thought that some don't want to ride because of the of an accident and needing medical care....seems prudent.

However, I had a bicycle wreck last year on a very familiar trail at walking speed as I was just getting back on after allowing another rider to pass and ended up at the ER as I got drilled into the dirt on my chest with all downward angle. Freak accident, but it happened.

Same with using power tools or ladders or taking a shower on a slick floor.

I agree some extra caution is called for right now...but how far reaching should it be...?? I say a normal ride is OK. Don't push the envelope though..
    CCitis and Cal like this.
  8. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    This threads content is being replicated in several other ones on ADV.
    The ER statement above is another e.g. of finding a "what-if", not that I don't wear a helmet, in fact I wore them in the 1960's too.
    If I rationalize, maybe I should not ride based on age and reflexes, or age and eyesight, on and on and on...
    ER's are a well known subject in the USA. Not but a few months back an MD in Calif was on 60 Minutes TV show explaining how the homeless check-in with the intent of scoring a "$600 sandwich" from the ER meal they know they'll get! It gets much worse as people load up ER's with petty crap like a common stay home symptom. Many parents are guilty of this behavior. In my area they also clog up the regular doc office cause we don't have rural ER's.
    Odd's of a motorcycle accident?: Google tells me 25.03 fatalities per million miles of travel. From my memory I know if you remove the helmet/gear factor, drugs and alcohol, excessive speed and a couple of other things that covers most MC accidents. Playing racer boy is the only way some people know how to ride. I doubt we'll have much luck keeping that type at home either?
    In one of the other threads a rider pointed out that ~20% of pop. lives rural in ~80% of US land mass, while the other 80% of people live urban and jammed up.
    I gotta say that before covid-19 came around, that every time I have entered a large urban area, there has been a very noticeable pick-up in the overall pace of traffic, lane switching and the race car/motorcycle racer boy wanna-be's cutting in and out at high rates of speed.
    This is ALWAYS TRUE! Human behavior is what it is. When we post such a thread question as above, it's not like the idiots are very likely to buy in?
    I say things are just swell in Arkansas:-)
    Cal and pratered like this.
  9. Tallbastid

Tallbastid Stay Grateful Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm staying put. Knock on wood VT hasn't been hit too hard but our doctors and nurses don't need to be concerned with a bozo who got himself hurt on a motorcycle he didn't need to be riding. That being said, I've been doing a lot of cycling just to keep myself sane, so maybe I'm a hypocrite. As others have said, this isn't like a helmet law; if you get hurt you're putting many others at risk indirectly, and so IMO it's better to stay put. Youtube has a shit load of motorcycle racing to stream, FYI.
    Grinnin likes this.
  10. HarveyM

HarveyM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not riding here:
    1. I'm in an urban environment.
    2. Because we're in 'lockdown' traffic is very light and traffic speed is up. Way up.
    3. Doctors here are reporting that accidents that would have been treated with reconstructive surgeries previously, are now amputations. Amputations are less work and clears a bed faster.
  11. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ride only to/from work. Max speed limit is 45. No issues.

6 miles each way. No long way home at this time. I am riding bicycle, have 3 miles to trail head, same thing traffic light

Rod
  12. g2sc2

g2sc2 n00b

Oddometer:
    We all know that riding has its own inherent risk that we all accept. Also, riding a motorcycle is very unforgiving of mistakes. I happen to live in a county in Central TX that has < 70 confirmed cases and 2 deaths related to COVID-19. This area has some large hospitals that are hopefully equipped to handle in influx of cases. With that said, that is the reason I voted 'It depends on the conditions in your geography'. Use your best judgement and common sense and be thankful we have the opportunities we have. Be safe.
    Adanac rider and Tallbastid like this.
  13. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    Considering the bikes you guys are riding ( all KTM's ) , I'd say you're all intelligent enough to make your own decisions on riding.
    I'm riding solo multiple times a week , only stopping for gas and no food . Carrying a n95 mask , a Colt 45
    for the impending Zombie apocalypse and gloves .
    Also , like you guys , I've dialed back the intensity of my jetting around . It would be really stupid to add load to the health systems now . Sitting at different tables was good but masks would have been appropriate .
    Crossed briefly into Mexico yesterday to do some paperwork , had on a mask gloves as did the
    person in the office . Used sanitizer before handing her the paperwork and keep distance as she checked out the bike vin # . We all need to be smart about this to help flatten the curve !

Max
    jimmex, Tallbastid and Cal like this.
  14. HarveyM

HarveyM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    According to my quick look ICU bed occupancy estimates in the US range between 65-85% with 78,242 ICU beds total (excludes neonatal, peds, and burn units) . That's 11,736 to 27,385 available beds in the US before 'bumping' people. In Europe and New York they're transferring patients, doctors (Italy, Germany) or equipment (New York ventilators) to even out the burden, so expect similar measures if the situation gets bad. (Numbers for ICU beds from AHA in 2020; occupancy rates from various sources.)
  15. BUZZARD II

BUZZARD II Old Geezer

Oddometer:
    I'm in Virginia, we are under a stay at home order until June 10th. I ride a lot of days for mental health. Yet I ride by a golf course whenever I go out. The parking lot is full. Four golfers in a cart. How is that OK? Because the politicians say it is. Exercise is good. Of course golf and tennis at the club tend to be elitist and the governor doesn't want to piss off the rich.

I ride alone on back country roads with little traffic. Since I haven't been hospitalized in 53 years of riding I figure it's my business.

You guys with all the crash experience really should find a safer sport.
    AwDang, Cal, 51% and 2 others like this.
  16. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I liked that. And I have crash experience . . .

I'm not riding as much as I used to, because I'm no longer commuting to and fro the office 3 or 4 times a week. But I am still riding. Sometimes a short doddle around the neighborhood in the afternoon; other times, like last weekend, a one-tank 225 mile loop into the rurals and back. I pack a snack and water, and don't stop anywhere around other people. Yes, there's a crash/ER risk, but I'm comfortable with the odds and the routes I might ride are not in covid-overwhelmed areas.
    Cal likes this.
  17. ncj01

ncj01 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What are the parameters of being in a state with a stay home order and going for a ride?

Can you be ticketed for being on public roads?

I’m not clear exactly what the order means..?

We don’t have one here.
  18. BUZZARD II

BUZZARD II Old Geezer

Oddometer:
    A riders law group has reported that in Virginia it's legal to ride for recreation. But to avoid problems keep it under a group of ten. Also do not linger at gas stops.

I have heard that the police are stopping out of state car and bikes crossing the WV, VA border. Only locals wanted. RT. 48/55 in particular.

I'm only riding local, mostly because everything is shut down on Skyline Dr. and the BRP. I pack a lunch and find someplace quiet.

In California a paddle board surfer was arrested while in the ocean. No one else around. You know what they say about absolute power.

Be careful out there.
    klaviator and Dracula like this.
  19. Dracula

Dracula aficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    The goal of "stay home" is to keep humans from coming in close vicinity so as to slow or stop this virus spread. Since there is no cure nor vaccine thus far in a foreseeable future, this situation may as well last the whole year, so who is going to bring essentials and food to our homes, riding in what vehicle? As it was already mentioned, people need their vehicles to still get to groceries or farmacy, or some to essential jobs sites that remain open. Last weekend I had a ride here in the farmland in central NC, local rural roads, most likely to only encounter farm equipment traffic, if any. But there were plenty ATV's, and pickup trucks hauling boats, much more than usual. I didn't understand people congregating at picnic areas, at all, that's allot more damaging than one rider. I keep to myself and only stop in secluded areas with little or no public around. Not sure of rules in your (or any other) state, but regardless, a vehicle ban would be same for cars too, if imposed. It'd be a pity if this turns into a cash cow with roadside stops, because it certainly won't help with the real issue.
  20. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is another goal of not riding at least until this thing peaks and starts to come under control: not exposing yourself to any additional risks that might end you up in an ER. Here it looks like that could be another month, maybe a week more or less.

Until we went into lockdown here 3+ weeks ago, I guess I had never thought about the fact that half a dozen motorcyclists I know reasonably well each have spouses who are nurses. They are all adamant about keeping everyone away from hospitals until the Covid-19 cases drop significantly.

Yes, I want to be out riding. I've had two trips cancelled already. Getting cabin fever but keeping my risk exposures as low as I can for now.

Be safe and be healthy y'all.
    black 8 and Klinc207 like this.