Riding During Covid-19

Discussion in 'Americas' started by ncj01, Apr 6, 2020.

?

Will you Ride?

1. Grip it and Rip it

35 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. Stay at home no matter what

15 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. You're an irresponsible tool

5 vote(s)
    3.9%
  4. It depends on the conditions in your geography

73 vote(s)
    57.0%
  1. AdvTraveler

AdvTraveler Live to Ride

Oddometer:
    I had to get out of the house today.

IMG_1591.jpg IMG_1596.jpg
    Phoenix101, 23103a and Cal like this.
  2. PrkChps

PrkChps Mirth Is King

Oddometer:
    Now that we are into May, is anyone planning a ride? I have been out twice this week, as a matter of mental health. Planning a 2-up trip to anywhere, as soon as some hotels open up. The bride will not tolerate tent camping. Side note: The posts have been largely civil, unlike another social media platform, where a discussion like this would cause an instantaneous shi!t fight.
    x32792 likes this.
  3. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Never stopped riding, been out several times every week, two camping trips, 19 days total. Have not stayed in a motel yet, that concerns me, may be a while for that.
    Been packing lunch and picnicing on day rides, off the beaten path. 20200505_120022.jpg 20200428_140017.jpg 20200427_112317.jpg
  4. onestroke

onestroke Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'd been planning a TAT ride leaving June 2. Now my start has been delayed to late August (hopefully). I am less concerned about exposure to people, COVID-19, or injury, mostly concerned with campground closures, not to mention gas station and food sources.
    Rips Millar likes this.
  5. KYwoodsrider

KYwoodsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I live in a rural area and have been taking days trips about once per week to the Daniel Boone NF.
    I always ride solo and take back roads or haul my bike to get there. I alternate between the Tenere and CRF450L.
    I'm also retired and ride mostly on weekdays.
    20200422_133310.jpg
    20200422_135819.jpg
    20200502_103504.jpg
    20200507_113631.jpg
    Klinc207, 2up ADV, Cal and 2 others like this.
  6. The Reverend K

The Reverend K mostly lurking Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm in Chicago and we are getting hit pretty hard by this thing and I still go out for the occasional ride. I got laid off cuz of COVID so I definitely need to get out of the house. HOWEVER, I take a lot of the suggested precautions: I bring hand sanitizer, masks, and gloves with me and use them both when I'm filling up the tank or in any public setting. I do not ride too much in the city or fill up in the city where there are a crap ton of people and I keep my distance from people as well. I have a riding buddy and we keep a safe distance (6ft) when we stop and a larger one when we are riding.

An inmate mentioned concern over being injured and forced to get treatment in an unknown area. I hear that loud and clear so I keep my risk factor to a minimum and don't push it. I know accidents can still happen and me trying to mitigate risk is no guarantee but it is a risk I'm willing to take. "Acceptable risk" is different for everyone, and I respect everyone's right to do as they wish. Let's be safe out there!

Silver lining: with no job I have plenty of time to plan that Alaska trip that I'm doing when all of this is over!
    ahung12, x32792 and sieg like this.
  7. PrkChps

PrkChps Mirth Is King

Oddometer:
    I hear you. When I ride, I have armored up...full ATGATT. Seems like where I live, people are smoking weed behind the wheel all the time. It's legal, but really? I have seen obviously intoxicated drivers at hours of the day when one would normally not expect them, and everyone in the world is speeding with their foot through the headlights. I normally wear a 3/4 helmet with face shield, but I am starting to look for a modular. (I know ADV is full of good recommendations, but I have a head like a smoked shoulder, and I need to try them on!) They are shutting the field hospital and actually laying off over 500 hospital employees here, so I don't think treatment for injury is an issue. Still, I am riding slower than usual, and just glad to be out. A friend went to Niagara Falls today, and said it was like a ghost town, but he was able to get a good hotel. So my trip is possible, but will take planning...Hotels with restaurants in the immediate area for walk-up takeout. Gotta be walk-up, because the bourbon comes out of the saddlebag as soon as we park for the night. Once parked, it stays parked til departure the next day. I'm not a guy with a lot of rules, but no booze on a ride is one of them. I hope everyone is safe and well, and has an income. Please post if you know of any good rider-friendly hotels that are operating in the northeast between MA and TN.
  8. travlr_45

travlr_45 Long timer

Oddometer:
    3 of us went out today for a leisurely 250 ride through the countryside. Stopped at a bbq joint, ordered up, then sat outside at one of the picnic tables. Was great. Temps in the upper 60’s to about 70 mid afternoon. At this point I’m not overly interested in what the guberment has to say. Life is short and I’m getting older every day. I take my precautions, then I take my rides.
    flexiflyer and Cal like this.
  9. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another great SD picnic.
    20200514_114103.jpg 20200514_114632.jpg
  10. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    Rode out of Tucson over to Eastern Az . to ride Az. 191 from Safford through Morenci and up to Alpine . The old
    Hwy. 666 " the devil's highway " . After the mine there was no traffic to Alpine . Great riding on one of the best roads in the U.S. Looped back through N.M. and home by 5 pm . 598 miles ( 962 k ) . Sorry no photos , Long day on twisty mountain roads , had to stay focused on the riding . Three gas stops , no interactions with anyone .

https://goo.gl/maps/XmurjxS8xc1wMYQA7

11.48 hours my ass .
    The Google doesn't quite get it yet , 9.5 hours riding . One would think after all the years my algorithm and I have been together it would know how I ride . :D .
    Max
    Branchbuster and Turkeycreek like this.
  11. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is one awesome ride Max from alpine to the mines was enough for me. Soooo many curves!!
    Turkeycreek likes this.
  12. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    Pick up a rabbit from Globe to Safford and we rolled that 70 miles hovering around " the ton " and coming home
    close to that . How's you family doing ?

Max
  13. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ha! I picked up a turtle from the mines to Safford and then grabbed a hotel That was a long day from Chilejacks house in Albuquerque
    MAXVERT likes this.
  14. eric_from_brazil

eric_from_brazil n00b

Oddometer:
    Here in Brazil, the pandemic is starting to strike harder and harder. We expect a situation similar to USA's in the coming weeks. I am not riding at the moment, partly because I think it is not the proper moment for that -as I live in Rio, a big city- and partly because I decided to take advantage and leave my old Sahara 350 at the workshop so it gets fully painted and rebuilt for the right moment when, in a few weeks I hope, it'll be able to ride again. I hope hospitals will get less full and that other numbers will drop soon enough. The bike has been at the workshop for 5 weeks now and I can't wait to have it back. I am already planning a future trip down to the south, to the border with Uruguay, visiting the few canyons around Florianópolis and the infinite off-road beach between Rio Grande and Chuí.
    Cal likes this.
  15. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE="eric_from_brazil,

I am already planning a future trip down to the south, to the border with Uruguay, visiting the few canyons around Florianópolis and the infinite off-road beach between Rio Grande and Chuí.[/QUOTE]

Well of course stay safe , wear a mask .
    The future trip sounds awesome , :y0!can I go ! :D

Max
    eric_from_brazil likes this.
  16. eric_from_brazil

eric_from_brazil n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks, my friend! Hope you're doing fine too up there.

Of course, you'd be welcome! You might event find some great tracks on the way down to Brazil, haha, ... but it's a stretch!

I wish to be able to do the trip before it gets too cold in the south, because I'd like to camp a bit...
    MAXVERT likes this.
  17. ahung12

ahung12 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in the Chicago-land area, and want to get in some short (1-2 night) trips to test out camping gear and skills, and my mileage tolerance, in preparation for (hopefully) a longer trip when things are much safer. But with campgrounds closed, and not wanting to introduce the added anxiety of stealth-camping my first time out, I feel like my options are limited.

Can any IL folks share suggestions? I'm looking for something within a 250-350 miles radius of the NW suburbs.
  18. The Reverend K

The Reverend K mostly lurking Supporter

Oddometer:
    PM me. I can probably help.