Riding from Alaska before the Alcan?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Harry Swan, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Harry Swan

Harry Swan One more time

Oddometer:
    I remember reading about two guys on bikes in the 1930s who rode from Alaska to ... roads in BC before the military built the Alaska Canadian Highway, but I can't remember my source! I'd like to know more about it if anybody can help, I'd appreciate it.
  2. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    I can't picture how they might've done that, Harry. Before the Alcan there weren't any roads connecting us w/ anyplace else. Might've been something connecting to the Panhandle but that would be about it.

You sure you aren't thinking of someplace else?
  3. redseca2

redseca2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Two guys did do a "ride" from Alaska south to the first paved road before the war, but it took them something like 6 months, and was more like hiking with motorcycles than anything like riding. I have seen display material, and I seem to recall a video, about them at the Transportation Museum in Whitehorse, YT.
  4. Harry Swan

Harry Swan One more time

Oddometer:
    Anybody read Dr. Gregory Frasier book, "Alaska by Motorcycle: How To Motorcycle To Alaska"? I read it four years or so ago and passed it on ... that might have been where I read about it. There was supposed to be a book about the adventure, either published or coming, and that's what I'm looking for. I just haven't figured out how to search for it.
  5. AndyT

AndyT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I recall seeing this somewhere too. I think White Horse Press may have something on it.