Riding from SF Bay Area to The Ridge Motorsports Park

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by peterhively, Jun 16, 2021.

1. peterhively

peterhively Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi PNW riders,

I'm getting ready to hit the road this weekend from Marin County CA and ride up to The Ridge Motorsports Park in Shelton WA for the MotoAmerica Superbike races next weekend, JUNE 25-27.

It's supposed to be hot this weekend so I'm planning to start out going up the CA coast. Depending on the weather, traffic, etc. I may just stay on the coast most or all the way up. If it gets too cold or wet, or there's too much traffic I'll head inland. I plan to take 4-6 days to get up there and a week or so to get back, 10 days at the most as I will also attend Laguna Seca.

I'm on a KTM 1090R so I'm open to goaty or dirt roads, I have camping gear so will mix it up between camping and hotels. I like open roads and scenery, I hate big cities and traffic.

I've never ridden the Oregon coast, just wanted to hear about any special roads and/or places to target, or avoid along the way or in the local area. Any updates on road construction, covid closures, etc.

Thanks and hope to see some of you there!

Peter
  2. HellsAlien

HellsAlien a has-been that never-was Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi peter,

Hey, first fix your date at the Ridge or you'll be a month late!

With the strong high pressure moving in, expect northerlies along much of the Oregon coast & AM fog. Starts getting hot 10 miles inland.

Southern/mid coast is best. Coast camping is real tight on availability, sux for bike travel freedom. Grab what you can.
    Good turn in points are at Reedsport, or Waldport hwy 34. There is a camp near top of Marys Peak off 34 (highest point in coast range) and it would be cooler up there plus good view from the top, also many camps along the Alsea River.

From there run up west side of Willamette valley to avoid I 5 metros and congestion. hwy 47 good to hwy 30. Maybe cross at Longview or there's a ferry across the Columbia at Westport.

Farther north, camping at Vista Park in Skamokawa, WA hwy 14 is good. Easy day run from there to the Ridge. I used to run track days there, awesome place to ride!

If you have time and inclination for more keep going up 101 to Port Townsend, camp in county fairgrounds park, Sunday eve after the race should be free of most of the weekenders.

Safe travels.
  3. peterhively

Oddometer:
    Thank you for that, and all the other helpful information! Taking notes...
  4. Clem Fandango

Clem Fandango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When you're ready to head inland from the coast, Upper Nestucca Rd from Beaver to Carlton is nice, and it dumps you right in the middle of wine country.
  5. peterhively

Oddometer:
    I like wine! Thank you.
  6. scottrnelson

scottrnelson Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer:
    I was planning a Pacific coast trip that I would be on right now, but a few things came up and it got put off a few months. I've at least studied what to see and which roads to take along the way.

I would take Highway 101 all the way if I were headed to Shelton. Or maybe Highway 1 from wherever you're at until Leggett where it ends, then continue on 101. That gives you the best chance of avoiding the heat as well as seeing the best scenery.
  7. peterhively

Oddometer:
    Yes I am definitely starting out up the coast, today I’ve finally got everything ready, bags are packed, leaving early tomorrow. Traffic could be an issue on your he coast but gotta try to beat the heat!

Turns out I have an old moto buddy in Port Townsend so will be visiting him for sure. Also connected with an inmate near Olympia to ride with. And another old moto buddy in Eugene.

Super stoked to attend a live MotoAmerica Superbike event again, I wanted to do this trip last year but of course stuff happened. And then I get to go to the next round at Laguna Seca!
    Baroquenride likes this.
  8. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    Sounds like The Ridge is beginning to look like one of the best, if not the best track on the West Coast. Lots of new improvements to the track and facility. I'd love to go and was planning on going last year, but that fell through and this year I have other plans. Perhaps next year.