1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Riding, Geocaching and Exploring . . . .

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Ladybug, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Day 4 Wednesday 9/26/18 to Magnolia, MN - A very fun day.

I slept in a bit then started my day. I didn't plan to go very far before my first stop since I wanted to look around Sturgis, SD a little.
    [​IMG]

Being a motorcyclist the Black Hills Motorcycle Rally (Sturgis) is the thing to do or at least it was in the circles I ran in back in the '70s thru the early '90s. Wanting to experience this event I attended it three different times and it certainly was an experience each time I went. The last time I attended the rally was in 1990 for the 50th anniversary. That year was crazy with way too many people. Each time I rode away telling myself that someday I wanted to visit the Black Hills and Sturgis when the area wasn't full of partying motorcyclists.

So many of the businesses are dependant on that one week.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just in case you get in trouble while you are partying.
    [​IMG]+

The Postal Service even gets into the motorcycle spirt.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As I was walking around the empty Sturgis streets I was thinking it would be nice to do the rally again. Then I found this poster on a wall and the number of people jammed in that picture made me cringe.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My initials on a wall in Sturgis.... OK I'm sure it stands from something else but I'm going to claim it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jason Sims who runs the Motorcycle Cannonball lives in Sturgis and is the Co-Owner of the Glencoe campground. Glencoe is a very popular for the Bike week and while it is party heavy it's not near as wild as the Buffalo Chip Campground.
    [​IMG]

This is the place to eat. The waitresses are full of personality.
    [​IMG]

In Sturgis there is a place for everyone.
    [​IMG]

I'd killed enough time wandering around looking at things it got late enough the Motorcycle Museum was now open so I checked it out before leaving Sturgis. I'll return in a little while to post pictures of the museum and bikes in it.
  2. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    More of Day 4 Wednesday 9/26/18 Sturgis Motorcycle Museum & Hall of Fame

With it being off-season and I was there when the museum opened I had it all to myself until right before I left.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

More about me (family) - My Grandmother was a huge fan of Elizabeth Taylor. When I was little Grandma would tell me I was beautiful like Elizabeth Taylor. The only thing about me that was similar to Ms. Taylor was dark hair. I love my Grandma she always made me feel good and she is the only person who ever told me I was beautiful. :raabia

When Ms. Taylor married Larry Fortensky Grandma was so thrilled and collected any articles she could find about the two of the. Larry was Grandma's nephew (her brother's son). She never voiced it but I think she hoped she would get to meet Ms. Taylor but that didn't happen. I never met Larry but I did know his dad.

When I bought a Harley and took it to show Grandma she said: "oh you ride a Harley like Elizabeth Taylor". :lol3 I had been riding motorcycles for 25+ years at this point and always took my newest motorcycle to show Grandma and she always liked that I rode but this reaction wasn't something I expected. Grandma was fun.
    [​IMG]
    The Virginian and B10Dave like this.
  3. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Lots more from the museum.

A piece of artwork
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Something like this on my Harley for day rides would be cool
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can relate. I'm an antique although I think I'd rather be a vintage.
    [​IMG]

When I saw this one I thought it would be fun at the minibike race.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

About the pic above
    [​IMG]

There is a room dedicated to women riders.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I belonged to Women in the Wind back in the 80s and early 90s. I really liked this group the women were true riders and not women trying to show off that they ride. I rode to Hershey, PA one year to attend a campout they were having. The group was small compared to many rallies so everyone got to know each other. We had some good rides and they taught me all about Keystone beer.:beer :lol3
    [​IMG]

An adventure bike.
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately, the pic I took about the above bike didn't turn out well but I will include it anyway.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes! Little bikes can.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like
    [​IMG]

Hill climber
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I thought the Honda Dreams were the hot ticket back in the '60s. My ex-husband had one which attracted me to him. I guess going for a guy because of his bike might not be the best choice but some things never change. :lol3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the style the first Harley I owned was.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My size - Dirt Squirt
    [​IMG]

There were so many things to look at in this museum I could have spent the entire day there but it was time to move on . . .
    The Virginian and B10Dave like this.
  4. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    On the road again. I was traveling I90 which isn't terribly exciting but after spending time at the museum I wanted to make up some time. The view through my windshield.
    [​IMG]

The sign made me wonder if 5 cent coffee is still available at Wall Drug.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I enjoy being a tourist and like to stop at tourist traps. Wall Drug is a huge tourist trap and I had to stop.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Almost there.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wall Drug isn't the same as it was the last time I was there sometime in the early '80s but still fun.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A real jackalope :lol3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since there were signs for deluxe restroom I had to find out if a deluxe restroom looks any different than any other restroom. Nope it's the same.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    TheAdmiral, The Virginian and B10Dave like this.
  5. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    More of Day 4 Wednesday 9/26/18 the final stretch to Magnolia, MN

With being at the edge of South Dakota Badlands I was tempted to go there too but I decided I needed to move on. There were miles and miles of I-90 that looked the same and I was just working on getting through it. I was looking forward to getting to the east side of SD so I could see the Dignity Statue. I had seen pictures of it and wanted to see it in real life.

[​IMG]

Up close. It is beautiful and photos don't do it justice.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is a geocache hidden down this path and it felt good to stretch my legs.
    [​IMG]

Headed back
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One last look and picture of the lady
    [​IMG]

I had no idea where I was going to stop for the night. I knew I wanted electricity since it was cold at night but where that would be was unknown.

The sun was setting and there was a pretty sunset in my rearview mirror.
    [​IMG]

As I was driving down the interstate with not much in sight in the way of towns or recreation areas I saw an exit for Magnolia, MN. To my surprise the sign included one of those little tents to let me know there was a campground somewhere in the vicinity. OK fine, I'll take the exit and see what I can find. Magnolia City Park was the perfect campsite.

[​IMG]
    The Virginian, B10Dave and dammitdave like this.
  6. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Day 5 Thursday 9/27/18 To the Wausau, WI area.

At this point I knew that afternoon I would be seeing my sisters, meeting my niece and grand-nephew. There wasn't any sightseeing planned for this day, just making my way to see my family.

Waking up early, with it being still dark I had plenty of time for breakfast and a leisurely shower. As I mentioned I really liked this campground. It might have been because it was cheap and no one else was there.

My campsite
    [​IMG]

I got other pics of the campground, they had things a person might want.
    [​IMG]

The rustic pay station
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They even honor veterans
    [​IMG]

Moving along on a side road I discovered I was in snowmobile country.
    [​IMG]

The view wasn't bad and the traffic light. I normally stay off interstates as much as possible but this trip I learned that sometimes interstates get done what's needed.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

During school, I wasn't interested in much of anything that had to do with what I was supposed to be learning. I was a poor student not understanding what any of it had to do with life as I understood it. I suppose a lot of that had to do with being in a family of lumberjacks and being raised that girls grew up to be wives and mothers. Sigh. But when I was very young I loved the Dr. Suess books and read all that I could get my hands on. His characters were always up to something. When I was a bit older I discovered Mark Twain, oh how I loved his stories. Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn and the adventures on the Mississippi River. Living in the Pacific Northwest I always envisioned the Mississippi as having clean clear water. The first time I saw the Mighty Mississippi I was disappointed by how dirty it was but that was in Baton Rouge, LA and I'm still fascinated by the river.

One day I want to ride the entire length of the Mississippi on the Great River Road. The Mississppi looked nicer here.
    [​IMG]

I stopped and texted this picture to my sisters so they would know I was close.
    [​IMG]

When I arrived at my Sister's it was decorated with balloons to welcome me.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

They knew my birthday was sometime the end of Sept. but they didn't know what day so they decided we would celebrate it no matter what day.
    [​IMG]

This is my second sister and her grandson. She came to the PNW a few months earlier to see us so already had time with her and got to know her a bit.
    [​IMG]

I brought the grandnephew a t-shirt from Sturgis.
    [​IMG]

My sisters and me. All three of us would have the same color hair but two of us keep dying our hair. :lol3 I brought t-shirts for all three of us from Priest River, ID. That's where our families logging business was.
    [​IMG]

Being able to be with my sisters is so special. I wish I would have been able to grow up with them but at least I have them in my life now.

[​IMG]

Stay tuned for the next day when I will spend quality time with one of my sister's going to a motorcycle dealership . . .
    B10Dave, Bob, TheAdmiral and 5 others like this.
  7. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have to say I really love your updates. The pics and narrative are a joy to read and see. Carry on!

Eric
    Ladybug likes this.
  8. freewheelin'

freewheelin' Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you so much for you for the updates. Just what we need in these interesting times.
    Ladybug likes this.
  9. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Thank you @The Virginian & @freewheelin' it's nice knowing you are following along. It's difficult knowing if anyone is enjoying this or if I'm just taking space up on ADV.
  10. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wish people.left more thumbs ups and comment when they enjoy someone's ride report. It's a metric arse ton of work to post pics, host pics, and write the narrative. I do some moto writing and have wondered many times is it worth it? So I place my chips on the bet of those that do reply in kind. Stay the course! :pynd
    B10Dave and Ladybug like this.
  11. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Day 6 Friday 9/28/18 To Doc's Harley-Davidson

This was my birthday and I wanted to spend the day with my oldest little sister having some one on one time. I had been able to do that with the second sister when she came to the PNW and I wanted the same experience with the older sister. It's easier to get to know someone when it's one on one time.

I first found out about Doc's because of the Motorcycle Cannonball in 2016. Doc was one of the riders and in his rider profile there was a little bit about his shop. I looked it up and decided I had to go to visit his shop. When I discovered his shop was only 60 miles from my sister's I knew I was going to get to see that shop.

When I asked my sister if she wanted to go to Doc's for lunch she smiled huge and said yes. She's not a motorcyclist but had been there before and likes the BBQ.

On our way, I spotted this pretty church.
    [​IMG]

It has a cemetery next to it and I asked my sister if she wanted to stop. Another yes!
    [​IMG]

We looked at the church and took a walk in the cemetery. I discovered she and I had taking walks in cemeteries in common. Both of us are very respectful of the people buried, we don't walk over graves, and are quiet while there.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It wasn't long until we arrived at Doc's.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is a lot to see at Doc's but we were both hungry so we ate first. Would you believe I didn't get any shot of lunch and it was sooooooooo good?
    [​IMG]

The part of Doc's that my sister likes best are the critters so we went to see them right after lunch. Sis making friends with Echo.
    [​IMG]

This silly bird wouldn't say much when my sister was talking to him but as soon as she started to leave he talked up a storm. He made us both laugh a lot. :lol3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope this guy doesn't stick his toe in that outlet. :eekers
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Doesn't every Harley shop have a herd of gators? We missed feeding time.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This bunny is huge and has run of the animal area.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The tortoise have an outside area for the summer but they are brought in when it gets cold.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A little education to go along with the rest of the fun.
    [​IMG]

There are more critters outside so we headed there before visiting the rest of the shop.

Apparently Doc's has some big parties. This is one big BBQ
    [​IMG]

So many things to look at. Ahoy mate.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maybe one day I will be in the neighborhood when he is having one of his parties and I can go to it.
    [​IMG]

Ah yes, this is what we were looking forward to.
    [​IMG]

There were a lot of signs warning that animals might bite.:doh I'm sure they need to drive that in for liability purposes. I suppose not everyone understands that animals might bite, don't stick your fingers in their face. Ah heck, if someone sticks there finger in my face I might bite. :lol3
    [​IMG]

Most of the animals would come over for a photo op.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The kangaroo's encloser. I liked the boxing gloves.
    [​IMG]

The buffalo ignored us.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They have a big outside area to hang out in.
    [​IMG]

When we were there was off-season so the normal activities weren't taking place but we could imagine how much fun is had there.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

They are inside where it's warm but this is where they get to hang out when it's warm out.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like the hippie vibe.
    [​IMG]

More of the outside area.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Do they host a gong show?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Me checking out the smokehouse
    [​IMG]

That was most of what is outside so inside we go to look at the rest of what's there.
    [​IMG]

This post is getting super long so I will end for now and will return in a bit with pictures of some of the inside of Doc's. Spoiler alert: I didn't get any pics of the showroom or the line up of Harleys.

I'll be back. . .
    The Virginian, B10Dave, Bob and 3 others like this.
  12. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting all of these photos and report, I always look forward to your adventures.
    Ladybug likes this.
  13. dammitdave

dammitdave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Amen! I appreciate all your hard work to write and post. I enjoy reading about your adventures whatever year they've been ridden. dd
  14. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Thanks Bob and Dave.
  15. Nicknewb

Nicknewb n00b

Oddometer:
    Another one here enjoying all your efforts. Thank you!

Geocaching.com has stopped publishing new caches in the UK, I’m pleased to have got a few published last week, gives folk an excuse to go for a decent walk in the fresh air.
    Ladybug likes this.
  16. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Before I finish up with all the fun pictures from Doc's I want to let everyone know that the animals at Doc's Harley-Davidson are well cared for. You can see pictures of each of the critters here https://docshd.com/docs-zoo as well as the staff that cares for the animals.

More of Day 6 Friday 9/28/18 To Doc's Harley-Davidson . . .

Classic Auto & Cycle Museum at Doc's
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of Doc's creations
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was a carhop in my younger years, it was fun but I sure didn't look like this and we weren't on skates.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Doc started when he was very young working in a shop and expanded from there.
    [​IMG]

It looks like I did get a few shots in the showroom
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The actual bike is in the Timeline Saloon but I didn't get a shot of it. The timeline bike ridden from the shop to Sturgis one year. The bike's engines have a "timeline" of engines used in it. More infor
    [​IMG]

Doorhandle in the ladies room
    [​IMG]

If you are ever in the area make an effort to stop, you will be glad you did.

https://ladybug0048.smugmug.com/org...Images-from-folder-6-Fri-9-28-18-WI/i-rmP5Csm
    The Virginian, B10Dave and SoPaRider like this.
  17. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    I received an email today with the normal things like trackables and new cache listings. Since they are headquartered in Seattle I was surprised it wasn't a covid-19 notification of some sort. With WA state now in a shelter at home order I'm curious how they will move forward.

Thank you for following along.
  18. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the Dubois engine pic!
    Ladybug likes this.
  19. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lady Bug; love the updates and pictures. Keep 'em comin' .....
    Ladybug likes this.
  20. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    I forgot to mention: There is a cache hidden at Doc's and I forgot to look for it while I was there. If things open up again before May I might just go out there to be at Doc's Blessing of the bikes on May 9th.

Day 7 7/29/18 was spent with my sisters and getting to know them a little bit.

Day 8 Sunday 9/30/18 To Magnolia, MN

It was time to head home. I had breakfast with my sister and said goodbye for the time and headed West.

Farms in Wisconsin look a little different than they look at home. I enjoyed seeing the nice looking farms.
    [​IMG]

There was a cache marked on my route however since I got a later start than I planned I wasn't going to stop. As I passed the Reed School, I decided I wanted to check it out. I was a mile or so beyond it and turned around to go for a visit.
    [​IMG]

The reason I decided to return was because I spotted a sign outside indicating the school was open for tours.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The classroom brought back memories of my first grade. This was the type of classroom I was in.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't find the cache at Reed School but I didn't look very hard for it.

Moving on:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Train Depots are something I enjoy seeing. I think it is because to me they represent going places and adventure.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I spotted Austin, MN on the map and I decided I wanted to see what was there.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is the main draw.
    [​IMG]

Yep, I had to visit the museum.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was even a motorcycle to look at.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Austin, MN is a quaint town to visit and the museum was educational.
    [​IMG]

From Austin I wanted to make time again so I could get to Magnolia, MN to camp for the night.

[​IMG]