Riding, Geocaching and Exploring . . . .

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Ladybug, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Shady Pass David

Shady Pass David Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ride home:...Brrrrrrrrrrr
  2. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    I'm back to get this brought current before I start riding and get behind again. :D

Friday 4/5/19 Desert 100 Odessa, WA

The Desert 100 is the spring opener of events for many people that ride dirt and although I haven't been able to attend it every year I have made it many times. It's a lot of fun and there is something for just about everyone that enjoys dirt. The main event is a 100-mile race across the desert scablands on Sunday. For spectators watching the race after the start really isn't available since the race course is closed off but the start is spectacular.
    [​IMG]

For 2019 I decided not to ride the Saturday Poker Run and volunteered to help instead.

Rainbow007, @liv2rydktms, and I camped at the ball field in town away from the craziness of camp at the event location. We headed out to check-in and find out what our assignments would be.
    [​IMG]

It's so much fun seeing all the little ones out there with their parents. There is a lot for them to do too including a practice track just for them and their own desert race as well as a family poker run.
    [​IMG]

These two were so cute.
    [​IMG]

Once we were at the event site we started helping with a checkpoint people went to right after signing up. This area was full of people right before this but when a storm started to blow in people headed for cover.
    [​IMG]

High winds and rain blew in hard.
    [​IMG]

It didn't last long and we headed to the volunteer's meeting. Not wanting to be tired the next day we went to our camp early so we could get a good night's sleep.

Saturday 4/6/2019

It was a pretty morning in farm country and I had to get a shot of the pretty sunrise from the gas station.
    [​IMG]

Checkpoint workers being let to our spot.
    [​IMG]

The first riders showed up not long after we got set up.
    [​IMG]

There were plenty of volunteers at our checkpoint and at times we were all busy checking in riders.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Traffic director. :lol3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I liked this rider's jersey and pants so I grabbed a shot.
    [​IMG]

We were set up on the family poker run course so we got to see the little ones come through.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't know why the battery cables were needed but this was photo worthy.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rainbow007 isn't terribly fond of this shot but I really like it. She was having fun with the little ones when they rode in.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Something I never like to see out there. Someone had wrecked and was injured down in the ravine. The helicopter had just picked them up and was coming out.
    [​IMG]

Of course, during this time the ride was stopped.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The riders on the other side were released and we got busy
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was raining a little bit and @liv2rydktms was prepared
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got creative with this guy's photo. He was fun.
    [​IMG]

By the time this rider got to our checkpoint his passenger was having a difficult time staying awake.:lol3 I love seeing families out enjoying riding together.
    [​IMG]

The riders kept coming.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Such pretty eyes behind those googles. Yes, you can ride a motorcycle and still look like a girl and it is OK.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There were a lot of women riding too. Often people think there aren't many women that ride but here in the PNW we have a lot of women that enjoy getting out in the dirt and having a blast.:clap
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

@liv2rydktms was having fun with the kids too.
    [​IMG]

As you can probably tell I was trying to get shots of as many of the kids that I could as they came through.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not all bikes are typical
    [​IMG]

He was having fun.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fun girlie spokes.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is cool and it would make such a great photo if only the vehicles were behind them. Too bad I don't photoshop because if I did I would put a nice background behind them.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is that a race face I see behind those goggles?
    [​IMG]

How can you not like this one?
    [​IMG]

Getting a little help from a friend.
    [​IMG]

Big people were having fun too.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

She has the slide the butt off the seat to put her foot down thing going on. I sure can't do that but I'm a tad older. :lol3
    [​IMG]

Oops, someone found a rock out there.
    [​IMG]

Things aren't as flat or smooth as they look.
    [​IMG]

Heart-shaped tread got my attention. :raabia
    [​IMG]

The rider pooped out so dad was bringing in the bike.
    [​IMG]

And the rider
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the checkpoint workers offered to take the bike back to camp, actually, a number of people offered. The little guy was supervising as his bike was loaded up.
    [​IMG]

And they were off to finish the ride.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was pooped by the end of the day but it sure was fun seeing all the riders and bikes come through.

Sunday 4/8/2019 Race Day
    Unfortunately, I was unable to get any shots of the race since I was helping with traffic and at the far side of the camp area when it started.

Things were wet but that doesn't stop anything with these riders.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the big bikes racing in the Adventure class
    [​IMG]

Things get super packed.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bike after bike headed to the starting line.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was walking along the edge of camp getting pics as the rider were headed out. They are making a left turn up there.
    [​IMG]

The end of the riders and 4 wheeled vehicles finally able to get out of camp. During the riders meeting and while they head to the start line the cars, trucks, Rvs, etc. can't get out.
    [​IMG]

Making the turn off Irby road to the starting line. It's way out there in the desert.
    [​IMG]

Since I didn't get any pics of the start I grabbed these from 2017 just in case someone is looking at this report that has never seen the start or of pics of it.

The lead rider had quite a lead.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

@MasterMarine, thanks for letting me be part of this last year and I'm looking forward to next year. It was so sad to see the 50th annual D100 had to be canceled because of the covid-19 in 2020 but it was the right thing to do.

For anyone that has never been to the D100 it's certainly something that every adventure/dual sport/dirt rider should attend at least once.
  3. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    5/11/19 to Missoula, MT to pick up a bike for a friend.

A friend I worked with that lives in the Seattle area had bought a vintage bike from someone in Missoula. It was a long trip for him to go get it but he was going to be in the Spokane office for a few days. I told him I would go to Missoula and bring it back to Spokane for him. I was bored and it was a good reason to take a drive plus I have friends in Missoula I can go visit. Win, win.

I stopped for a few minutes at Elmer's Fountain. It can only be accessed from the eastbound lane of I-90 East of Wallace, ID.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are two fountains however one had fallen during the winter.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was afraid that the fountain wouldn't be put back up but a few months later when I drove by I saw the fountain was back up. The property and fountains are privately owned and maintained.

I don't know what this is for. It looks like a very large dog house.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I took a walk into the woods.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I even found a flower.
    [​IMG]

I think this is a pump house.
    [​IMG]

This gives a little information about the fountain: http://sondahl.com/elmersfountain.html

Into Montana I go.
    [​IMG]

The bike I picked up. Isn't it pretty?
    [​IMG]

On my way back I spotted a forest fire.
    [​IMG]

Back to Idaho.
    [​IMG]

I decided to stop in Mullan and look for a geocache or two.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't find the caches but I found an old business in town.
    [​IMG]

A few days later I was able to give the bike to its new owner and he was all smiles.
    [​IMG]
  4. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't want to skip over this last post in MT, but what a great variety of very interesting pictures at the race checkpoint. That was super you captured so many photos of it. :thumbup
    B10Dave and Ladybug like this.
  5. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    It's great seeing the variety of folks that get out and enjoy riding motorcycles.
    B10Dave likes this.
  6. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    6/1/19 Riding around Idaho with my friend Oldtimer

Oldtimer and I have been friends for many years and have done a number of rides together. He lives in Longview, TX and I keep trying to get him to spend his summers up here. This is the second summer I was able to talk him into it.

Oldtimer was doing the Tour of Honor and we headed to Idaho so he could get those checkpoints.
    [​IMG]

Riding through the Palouse I always enjoy seeing this barn.
    [​IMG]

The first town we were stopping in.
    [​IMG]

The memorial we visited.
    [​IMG]

Moving on to the next one.
    [​IMG]

I was looking at this bench while Oldtimer was getting the picture he needed.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oldtimer jokes about BMW riders and their Starbucks. I took him to get a shot of our BMWs and my favorite Starbuck. At first, he was wondering why I had stopped there until I pointed out the name.
    [​IMG]

The brick building is the old jail.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oldtimer taking a 5 minute power nap.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Practicing my mirror shots.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We camped at Palouse Falls and after we got camp set up we went and found a geocache.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Barry had leftover pizza for dinner. I think I had soup.
    [​IMG]

The sunset only had a tiny bit of pink in it. This is a small camp area and rarely busy so it's a nice place to camp when in the area.
    [​IMG]

There are 6 more days to come.
  7. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Day 2 June 2, 2019 Riding around Idaho.

Waking up at about daylight provided a shaded view of the gorge.
    [​IMG]

On the road.
    [​IMG]

The terrain in the Palouse is always changing.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tri-Cities, WA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We rode around in circles for a bit trying to get to the monument and finally found where we needed to be. Oldtimer is placing his flag on the bike for the photo.
    [​IMG]

I didn't get a shot of the memorial. It was across the way from where we could park.

Nice looking barn.
    [​IMG]

The sky is clouding up.
    [​IMG]

I don't remember what we were doing here. Probably trying to figure out where we were going to camp.
    [​IMG]

That was the last of my pictures for that day which is unusual for me.

Day 3 coming next.
  8. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Day 3 June 3, 2019 Riding around Idaho

Continuing to find monuments.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had so much fun going to Drive In theaters back in the day. Now when I see one that is still operating it makes me smile. There aren't many left and I often wonder if they would be enjoyed as much by young people now. Probably not.
    [​IMG]

This is a place I enjoyed visiting. The Fort wasn't open so it's now on my list to visit at another time.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one explained how The Big Foot thing came about or at least a theory.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

https://history.idaho.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/0040.pdf

https://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/30923

Riding through here was very pretty even though the road was straight and boring.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We found a curve.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My fuel light came on and I started to get worried I would run out since it would be a way yet to find fuel but all was good I didn't run out.
    [​IMG]

It was nice following Oldtimer. All I had to do is ride and enjoy.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sometimes it's easier to remember when I was if I snap a photo of the entering sign.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Memorial
    [​IMG]

And we are on our way again.
    [​IMG]

Where we will camp for the night.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. Shady Pass David

Oddometer:
    Y
    You didn't get a burger or?..at the Rawhide Tavern (?) in Starbuck?.....
    Just today I was wandering and read that the Palouse River starts up by H/w 6 up in Princeton or Harvard..You know, up that-a-ways....Nice back road highway.
    ......................:type...........
  10. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    For some reason, the bar was closed.

I've spent a lot of time up in the Princeton/Harvard area dirt bike riding. I've thought about hosting a campout in that area but that's as far as I've gotten with the idea. Laird Park is good to base out of for dirt riding. There is an RV park next to Hwy 6 that would work for a campout if I ever go any further with the campout idea. That area has dual sport riding, single-track dirt riding, and street bike riding opportunities. There isn't a lot of options for food or fuel though but ADVers are pretty self sufficient when they know they need to be.
    Shady Pass David and B10Dave like this.
  11. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Day 4 June 4, 2019 Riding around Idaho.

Bannock County Veterans Memorial Building in Pocatello, ID was my favorite of the ones we visited during this week. The beautiful brick building is the veteran's hall and there was a display of cannons and such out front.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While Oldtimer was getting his picture of the memorial I walked around the outside of the building looking at it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

To our surprise, a veteran came out and invited us in for coffee. They have a hall with a coffee shop in the lower part of the building and have it open for Vetrans to be able to have coffee & donuts while visiting with other Vetrans. They were familiar with the Tour of Honor and talked with us a little about it. They were very welcoming and friendly.
    [​IMG]

I asked about the beautiful building and I was told a little about it. They use the upper part to rent out for events like wedding, formal dances, family reunions and such. The money they get from doing that helps to pay for the upkeep.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a nice visit, it was time for breakfast. A sausage biscuit and cup of senior coffee is about $2.00. :D We often rode a while in the morning then stop at a McDonalds for a cheap breakfast. We joked about this being a McDonalds tour. :lol3
    [​IMG]

While the snow on the mountains made it look cold it was very warm.
    [​IMG]

We would change back and forth leading so neither of us had to lead all the time. It was Barry's turn to take the lead.
    [​IMG]

I enjoyed this area.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tour of Honor riders had left their calling cards.
    [​IMG]

We're on our way again.
    [​IMG]

Head north I recognized this Drive In, I had seen it before and there is a cache thee but I have never stopped to look for it.
    [​IMG]

Mirror shot
    [​IMG]

It looked like we were going to hit rain.
    [​IMG]

We had a few drops but we skirted the storm and didn't need to stop and put on rain gear.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was common for lunch and sometimes dinner. At times it was peanut butter and jam instead of tuna. It packs well and is easy to make a quick wrap.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was another good day.

Day 5 coming up next . . .
  12. Shady Pass David

Oddometer:
    The city of Potlatch has a swell campground. As I remember it's just 6 miles from Harvard..
    I enjoyed the area for 4-5 days last summer as a base...Potlatch #6 I think it's named, $30. full hook-ups-WiFi..free hot clean showers and a grocery store across the road...The host "Daniel" took care of some jerk with a barking dog from South Carolina or North....24hrs of arf-arf---etc...
    Tenting and small cabins too......:wave..........
    Ladybug likes this.
  13. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was neat you got the history of Bigfoot. I've been to several places he was alleged to have been. An old riding buddy who has since passed away was a big history buff and turned me onto the legends of Bigfoot.

You stop and visit (document/photo) such neat places. Thanks so much!
    Ladybug likes this.
  14. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Rainbow007 and I have been talking about going in search of Big Foot/Sasquatch. She'll be retiring in the fall and at some point we'll put a plan together of the place there have been sighting or legends. It should be fun since we'll be doing a lot of dirt and camping.
  15. Shady Pass David

Oddometer:
    Be sure and bring some Sandwiches......PBJ?.......I've heard he likes those.....
    Ladybug likes this.
  16. Ladybug

Oddometer:
  17. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Day 5 June 5, 2019 Riding around Idaho.

Generally, I don't like staying at KOAs but this one I really enjoyed. The tent sites were nice and not next to the dog run like so many KOAs. We enjoyed an ice cream social the night before and waffles in the morning.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We thought about spending time at the Craters of the Moon but the weather was hot and we decided to just stop at the visitors center.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We stopped at Twin Falls and saw people base jumping off the bridge into the Snake River Canyon.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Look hard there is a blue parachute in front of the rocks.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Going in for the landing.
    [​IMG]

We wanted to go see where the launch was that Evel Kenielle used tried to jump the river. No luck. A housing area has been built in front of the trail to it and there are no parking and no trespassing signs.
    [​IMG]

Since we couldn't do that we decided to go to the falls.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's pretty amazing here.
    [​IMG]

My riding partner.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dinner time at camp. We're having peanut butter and jam in tortillas, I'm having ramen noodle soup with it and Oldtimer is having stew. Yum.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the week our days were easy riding with only a couple hundred miles a day. We stopped early and left fairly early each day. After we had dinner we went for a walk and found a store where we got ice cream bars. We were looking for an ice cream cone but we didn't have any luck with that but ice cream bars worked just fine.

Day 6 to come next . . .
  18. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    One of my old riding buddy's ashes were spread at Perrine Bridge in Twin. He was a foreman on the bridge when it was being constructed. The Falls part of Twin is cool when the water flow is high. Looks like you were there at the right time!!! I remember watching EK's jump on TV. It was anti-climatic for sure. Seeing the launch site (ramp) was similar but at least I can say I've seen it. Sounds like things have changed since I saw it in 1994. EEKS, housing development.
    Shady Pass David and Ladybug like this.
  19. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Day 6 June 6, 2019 Riding toward home

Breakfast time. We would have our cheap breakfast, check email, facebook and whatever. Our phones were off pretty much all the time other than when we did our MickyD stops. Traveling with Oldtimer is nice, he's not addicted to his phone.
    [​IMG]

Fuel time and apparently I'm running out of good things to take pictures of. I liked the skunk at Stinky's gas so I got a couple shots of him.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Riding along water is always pleasant and I really like fast-moving water.
    [​IMG]

This mirror shot turned out pretty well.
    [​IMG]

We stopped to get some pictures of the river.
    [​IMG]

Motorcycles are always a good photo op.

[​IMG]

Oldtimer almost looks like he was sneaking up on the river.
    [​IMG]

I enjoyed trying to get a shot of the splashing water and I finally got one.
    [​IMG]

Flowers and moving water! This is the Little Salmon River along Hwy 95 north of New Meadows, ID.
    [​IMG]

Typical, I'm messing around with my camera, and Oldtimer is ready to go. It's a good thing he's patient with me.
    [​IMG]

Memorial time.
    [​IMG]

The park in Riggins, ID
    [​IMG]

The sky in the direction we were headed was very black and we were headed into the storm. We decided it was time to stop and get a room since there was a motel handy. The manager of the motel told us to go ahead and park our bikes on the sidewalk since it looked like the weather was going to get pretty bad.
    [​IMG]

When the rain hit it hit hard and we were both happy we weren't out in it, even in rain gear.
    [​IMG]

The roses were smiling after the storm.
    [​IMG]

Just one more day left of this ride . . .
  20. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Day 7 June 7, 2019 Riding toward home

The final day of riding during this trip and we only had a couple of hundred miles to go. We were both awake early, the sky was blue and the sun was shining so off we went.
    [​IMG]

Oldtimer took the lead starting the day. It was chilly in the shade so my grips and heated jacket liner were turned on. It felt warm in the sun when we were getting on the bikes to leave.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No wonder it felt chilly. We didn't eat here we found a restaurant for breakfast.
    [​IMG]

Riding through the Palouse on the final stretch home.
    [​IMG]

My riding partner from TX and I have been friends for about 20 years. He's good to ride with and even though he is 83 years old he is full of energy and always ready for an adventure. There are a couple more coming up. . .