Riding, Geocaching and Exploring . . . .

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Ladybug, Jun 9, 2013.

1. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the walk down memory lane... I love riding through the Palouse... the last time I was in that area was Sept 2018...

I visited a couple of the same places you covered in your trip... I need to make it up there again whenever we get done with this virus thing...

47.jpg IMG_0785.jpeg

:beer
    The Virginian and Ladybug like this.
  2. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    The PNW is an incredible place to live or visit. I didn't appreciate it until I was able to travel around the United State and discovered not everything is like it is here. I do still visiting other parts of the country too. I find special things everywhere, even when people tell me there is nothing "there".

Thanks for following along.
  3. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Ladybug. Love going along on your adventures.
    The Virginian, Ladybug and black 8 like this.
  4. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Thanks for coming along with me.

In a bit I'll tell you all about the new bike Oldtimer talked me into buying last summer. I always blame Oldtimer for my bike purchases. :lol3 He's older and wiser so I take his suggestion, yep, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :ricky
    B10Dave and Nicknewb like this.
  5. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    OK, I'm back, and here's the story.

6/21/19 A New Motorcycle

For the last few years, I have been dreaming of buying a Triumph Street Twin but kept procrastination hoping they would come out with one in a belt drive. I didn't want another chain drive motorcycle and especially not on a street bike. My thoughts were I wanted a street bike for when I retired for some long-distance touring and my plan was to retire in 2020 after I turned 66. Things don't always work the way I plan.

June of 2019 two friends were here for a visit and to go riding. Barry from TX and Adam from Chicago. Barry was wanting to get a full-sized touring bike and we had been looking at the Indians & Hondas the week before. We discovered the Harley shop had the factory demo fleet truck there and demo rides were available. We headed to the Harley shop so Barry could do a demo ride. He's owned a few Harleys and thought he might want another one.
    [​IMG]

Adam following me.
    [​IMG]

Barry on his BMW and Adam on his Harley. We were waiting on a train and it was long.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wellllllllll things didn't turn out at all as we expected. After Barry test sat a few bikes he decided they were too big and he really didn't want one. He didn't even take a test ride. As he was doing that I spotted a Harley that looked awful small so I had to check it out. I wasn't aware they made a 750 and I was surprised at how well it fit me. There wasn't a 750 on the demo truck but the salesman said he would pull one out for me to test. OK. We went out back to their training track, I got on the bike, rode it to the far side of the area, and back again. The salesman's face dropped since the ride was so short and he was sure I didn't like it. He had another bike pulled out for me to try if I wanted. Barry took one look at me and started laughing. The salesman was looked confused at Barry laughing and offered the other bike for a test ride. When I turned it down he looked real defeated. Barry looked at him and said "she wants that one" and pointed at the one I had just ridden. The salesman looked at me and all I said was "YEP". Barry knows me well enough he knew by looking at me I liked it and was going to buy it. The salesman said something about that was the shortest test ride anyone has ever taken and liked the bike. I explained I have been riding long enough I know what I like.

With the bike all paid for, well actually financed, it was time for the delivery ceremony. They parked the bike in the showroom, told me all the important things, and let me ring the bell while employees honked horns on the showroom floor bikes. I was a bit embarrassed by all this but I did it.

Here's the new bike.
    [​IMG]

I had just got off the bike to go ring the bell that is above my head.
    [​IMG]

The next morning we took it to McDonalds so it would know where the cheap people food is.
    [​IMG]

Then we took it out shopping. See how tiny it looks when it is parked next to a full-sized Harley.
    [​IMG]

And because it's a Harley I had to take it to a bar where we met up with friends.
    [​IMG]

The two guys to the left amaze me and show that age doesn't mean you have to stop living. Barry wearing the blue jeans is 83 and Burt in the white shorts is 86 or 87. They are both going strong. The third man is Tim, Burt's son.
    [​IMG]

Fred Neck's has good food.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I took the bike for an almost 1000 mile ride so I could get it serviced to ride it to Wisconsin. Before I tell you about those rides I'll be telling you about riding my BMW F650GS to AK with Barry and Adam. It sounds more impressive than it is. We only went as far as Hyder but we had fun.

I'll start that story in a few days. (I'm giving myself time so I don't get caught being late again. :lol3)
  6. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk:drink
    The Virginian and Ladybug like this.
  7. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    It looks like I got out of order with my stories and got ahead of myself. With that there are a few other things before we headed to AK.

6/9/19 Moses Lake, WA

Oldtimer had his trailer in my backyard and staying here but I had to work so he found places to go while I was working during the week. For this week he was headed to Oregon to get more Tour of Honor site and I rode as far as Moses Lake with him starting with backroads.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A nice morning for a ride.
    [​IMG]

This is a backroad route that is south of Interstate 90 between Cheney, WA and Sprague, WA.
    [​IMG]

It takes a bit longer and Barry wanted to move a little faster to we headed back to the interstate at Sprague.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the Memorial we came to visit.
    [​IMG]

Memorials from the 911 devastation always make me sad and bring up the horrifying images of that morning's live news coverage and seeing black specs falling off the buildings to learn those specs were people jumping to their death. :uhoh
    [​IMG]

We parked across the street and I found some flowers to get myself into a better frame of mind. The downside of going to memorials is that they do make me sad thinking of the lives lost.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oldtimer heading off.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I was just going into the 6th grade we moved from Priest River, ID to Moses Lake. One of the first places I was introduced to was the Taco Shop in the city park. It was more of a shack back then but the one thing that remains the same is over those 50 some years is they have the best food around. If you are ever in the area stop for a treat.
    [​IMG]

I rode around a little bit, rekindling old memories.
    [​IMG]

Headed home on a backroad this time on the Northside of I-90.
    [​IMG]

Stopped to find a geocache just outside of this cemetery.
    [​IMG]

There isn't anything super exciting here but for me, it's a pleasant ride because of the lack of traffic.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I do enjoy scenes like this.
    [​IMG]

Out there in the "nothingness", this looked artsy.
    [​IMG]

Ritzville, WA is next to the interstate and easily missed. I rarely go into town and I decided to look around a bit this time.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't know anything about how buildings are built especially the older ones but the different bricks I found fascinating. It doesn't take much to entertain me. :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One day I will stop when the museum is open.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Why is there a door up there? I guess someone made off with the balcony. :lol3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Small towns often have interesting things to look at when a person takes the time to get off the freeways and highways.

After leaving Ritzville I was looking for more backroads to ride home on. This is out in farm country and there is a geocache here but I didn't look for it. I don't search for caches within view of houses or businesses. I don't want to be anyone's entertainment while I'm looking. :lol3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Documenting where I am.
    [​IMG]

Ahhhh that's why I documented it. I want to come back and see where this road goes.
    [​IMG]

I continued on but found I was headed into gravel roads and I didn't know if I would get to want to get where I wanted to be so I turned around. Even though this is a 650 it's a handful for me. I try to prevent myself from getting into a place I can't get turned around.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cactus made out of horseshoes.
    [​IMG]

There are a few curves out there, not a lot but there are some.
    [​IMG]

Dropping down into Spokane.
    [​IMG]

It was a very pleasant day and I got to get to know more about Ritzville than I knew before. It's amazing what I find when I slow down and check things out.

Next up is a ride to the other side of Washington state so Oldtimer can get more memorial pictures. . .
  8. Shady Pass David

Shady Pass David Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    They saved the old bridge!..Thanks....
    Fidler's Creek farm has the best huckleberry pie.....North of Riggins....Yuuuum.
    Ladybug likes this.
  9. Shady Pass David

Oddometer:
    Another small memorial just south of #26 in Hatton, Wa....I think 2 local boys,WW2....Down 21 from Lind......
    Ladybug likes this.
  10. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    6/14 thru 6/16 2019

Somehow I don't have many pictures from this weekend and I should have a lot more. I must have deleted something that I shouldn't have (that sometimes happens with me :baldy). With that, this one is going to be short.

Oldtimer and I rode to Bothel, WA to meet up with BMWLady who also does the Tour of Honor so we could go do a couple of memorials together.

Central Washington has some pretty cool rock cliffs.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Priest Rapids Dam on the Columbia River a bit south of Vantage, WA.
    [​IMG]

The wind was blowing which is pretty common here.
    [​IMG]

More central WA. We were on Interstate 90 after Vantage and this is farmland.
    [​IMG]

BMWLady had of stay at her home in Bothel so we were pretty spoiled. She had dinner ready and waiting for us when we arrive. Can you believe I didn't get it shot of it. It was a wonderful pot roast with veggies and gravy, oh so good.

Sat. we headed to the Mulkiteo/Clinton Ferry Terminal.
    [​IMG]

There's BMWLady and Oldtimer waiting for the ferry.
    [​IMG]

Crossing the Puget Sound.
    [​IMG]

Oltimer is busy making friends.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Coming into dock and we are ready to get off the ferry. On the Washington ferries motorcycles get on and off the ferry first. :clap
    [​IMG]

The first memorial and Oldtimer is clowning around making a face. :lol3
    [​IMG]

Deception pass bridge.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We stopped here for lunch.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was looking forward to some good fish and chips and it was good.
    [​IMG]

Moving along again.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stopping here for a memorial.
    [​IMG]

This one I liked a lot.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice book shop across the street from the park. I bet it has some great books.
    [​IMG]

Interesting looking old barn.
    [​IMG]

Ice cream and senior coffee stop.
    [​IMG]

Following BMWLady back to her house.
    [​IMG]

After a nice weekend with good friends we headed back to Spokane. More rock cliffs and orchards in central WA.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Almost home with Oldtimer in the lead.
    [​IMG]

Next up really will be AK . . .
  11. Shady Pass David

Oddometer:
    Now that you are retired we all will need many more pictures...You do a great job sharing your photos...
    My silly mission, even when working, was to travel every back road of Wa.-Id.-Oregon-Montana-Nevada.....and Hot springs..Wyoming too...
    I didn't have the swell cameras we have now...
    California also......They haven't made Ca. tourist friendly lately.....
    Too sad.....
    Ride-On!!!!!
  12. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Thank you. I will do my best, I have a lot of plans and will be getting out more and more as things start to open up.
    Nicknewb likes this.
  13. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    A ride to Hyder, AK 6/28/19 thru 7/5/19 with friends Oldtimer and Adam

[​IMG]

Many people are unaware there is a little slice of AK that dips down to British Columbia and you can get to it by paved road. It's easy to get to and one heck of a lot closer than the main part of AK. It's a terrific place to put your tires in AK when time is limited and someone is working on riding in all the U.S. states.

This section is a bit of history and if you don't want to read it you can skip ahead to the next map and go from there and you won't miss anything about this ride.

I'm going to start this with telling you a little about my friends Oldtimer and Adam. As I have already mentioned Oldtimer is from Tx and Adam is from Chicago. On this ride we were asked a few times how the three of us came to ride together when people noticed the plates on our bikes. Back in the early '90s and email was just becoming the thing most people signed up for AOL for internet service and email. At that time AOL had message boards and they had a motorcycle board of course when I discovered it I signed on to it. There I found a small group of rider and even though the group never became very big everyone was active.

I started meeting people from the AOL motorcycle board in real life and the first one I met was BMWLady, the gal Oldtimer and I went to go riding with a few weeks before this. With her and I living in the same state it was easy to get together to ride every so often and we became fast friends. About a year after I met her Oldtimer posted that he would be doing a Three Flags ride with his son in law riding from Mexico to Canada. I discovered the route that year was going through WA state. I told him I would like to be able to meet up with them so I could meet him in real life. We figured things out and I met him and his son in law up on Windy Ridge. Rainbow007 had ridden over with me so she could meet him too. I had taken a week off work and continued on to Canada with Oldtimer while Rainbow had to return home to work. Traveling with Oldtimer and his son in law was a lot of fun and I got to know them both.

A year or so before that there had been an AOL motorcycle board campout and ride to the Tail of the Dragon and a handful of the folks got to meet each other. The winter after I met Oldtimer someone brought up doing a meetup on the west side of the country. I asked if they would like to come to the PNW and if so I would set up a ride for everyone. It happened and we had people from all over the US show up. Not a lot of people but, NY, MN, IL, TX, WA, ID and a few other states were represented. Adam was one of the people that attended. A few years later we had another one in the PNW. I have been to one in FL and there have been a few others on the east side of the US. There are a handful of us that have remained friends all these years, even after the AOL motorcycle board was no longer.

Adam has been a character all along. He has always wanted to be a "biker" or what he thought a biker was. Oh my did he ever drool about the idea of riding a Harley. He didn't have a bike or know how to ride when he joined the AOL Motorcycle Board. He tried to post things that he thought were bikerish. All of us rode different types of bikes and no one was all that much into the image so he was just a funny dude. He soon bought a Yamaha 650 cruiser and was on top of the world. He struggled with everything having to do with riding and camping off the bike but he kept working on it. Ohhhhhhh the stories. Later he bought a bigger Yamaha 1200 (I think) and finally a few years back he bought a Harley. He got his dream bike. His goal was to ride in all the states and it didn't matter if he saw anything as long as he got his tires in the state so he could claim it. This is how the Hyder trip came about.

For 2019 Adam had a plan to ride to AK with friends which was to be his last state, not including Hawaii. One by one his friends canceled on him and he was so disappointed. Oldtimer being a nice guy called me and suggested we have Adam meet us in Spokane and we would ride to Hyder and back with him so he could get AK. Adam isn't very independent and gets lost easily, Oldtimer was certain he wouldn't go into Canada and to AK on his own and it was his dream. I agreed and the plan was created.

Oldtimer was already camping in my backyard and Adam joined him. They are both retired but they had to wait for me to finish my work week before I could leave. Luckily at that time I was working 4 nine hour days and on Fri. I only had to work 4 hours. Since I started work at 5:00 am I got to leave at 9:00 am which meant I still had a full day of riding available. When I got off work I headed home to my already packed bike and we headed out.

This is the route for Day 1, Fri. 6/28/19
    Spokane, WA to Merritt, BC an easy 320 miles.
    [​IMG]

We had determined we would motel this trip rather than camping as we normally do. If we were going to camp Adam would be towing his camp trailer and he was super concerned about bear. Oldtimer and I decided between the trailer, bear concerns, and often rain in that area moteling this trip would be the way to go. We also decided to keep the daily miles down so we could enjoy the ride and scenery and not beat ourselves up with long days. :ricky

Riding out of Spokane on Hwy 2 the weather ahead didn't look too bad. It was a warm pleasant ride.
    [​IMG]

A stop at a rest area to use the facilities and so everyone could adjust what they were wearing if needed. We discovered on this ride that Adam is addicted to his phone. :umph
    [​IMG]

Then there is me, playing with my camera when others are waiting for me. :uhoh Afterward, they do like all the pictures I take though. :lol3
    [​IMG]

Riding through grain fields.
    [​IMG]

Have you noticed I like farms? They look peaceful and homelike.
    [​IMG]

And old barns, I love old barns.
    [​IMG]

Found a curve in the road.
    [​IMG]

That's Lake Roosevelt above the Coulee Dam on the Columbia River.
    [​IMG]

Even though I knew both guys have been to the viewpoints for Coulee Dam, since I have taken them there before, I stopped anyway.
    [​IMG]

Adam and Oldtimer getting shots of the Dam. Adam likes to get a lot of pictures and videos then his son creates trip videos for him. His son does a good job of it then Adam sends everyone on the ride DVDs of the ride. It's a nice keepsake. Oldtimer snaps shot to send to his family and/or posts here and there on facebook. Meanwhile I take tons of photos and do ride reports. :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Moving along . . .
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Over the shoulder shot of Oldtimer following me, Adam must have been in the lead for a bit. The sky looks a little threatening.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We're not across the border yet and it looks like we are going to get wet before we get into Canada. Filling up the fuel tanks before we get into the land of even more expensive gas.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The blue sky looks good.
    [​IMG]

The clouds make interesting pictures and we get to wonder if we are going to get wet or not. :dunno
    [​IMG]

The border was an easy crossing. :clap
    [​IMG]

When I pulled up to the guardhouse I asked if there was a spot to stop and get a picture of the entering Canada sign and he told me there was a wide spot and there wasn't a problem if we stopped and got pictures. I figured there was and it wouldn't be a problem but I would rather ask than not, it makes things easier and then I don't feel rushed to move along.
    [​IMG]

Canada doesn't look any different than the United States. :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

That looks threatening.
    [​IMG]

Then it started to pour! I saw blue ahead and figured we would ride out of it. Oldtimer and Adam stopped to put on raingear. I kept going until it let up a bit and I found a wide spot to stop. I waited a few minutes and they weren't coming so I continued a few miles from here where it was no longer raining and waited for them.
    [​IMG]

When they caught up with me the sky was blue and things were dry. It was warm and I didn't really get wet so I was fine and they decided to leave their rain gear on for the time being. It wasn't long and we were in Merritt, BC where we would be staying. This is a decent inexpensive place to stay.
    [​IMG]

We went passed a large log mill on the way to dinner. Up until I went into the 6th grade I lived in logging country and was used to seeing mills and logging trucks. The logs were so much larger back then. These were so small.
    [​IMG]

You don't find signs like this in many places.
    [​IMG]

The dinner was very tasty.
    [​IMG]

The servings were huge.
    [​IMG]
  14. Shady Pass David

Oddometer:
    My late wife told me her dad built Grand Coulee Dam single handed...That's what he told her...Along with many of the others on the mighty Columbia!...
    Tall Tales?
    ...............:hide...........................
  15. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Day 2, Sat. 6/29/19
    To Quesnel, BC - 272 miles

[​IMG]

We started our day at McDonalds for a cheap breakfast. Oldtimer and I went for our normal sausage biscuit and senior coffee but Adam has a bigger breakfast. He was trying to get used to the way we travel but it was a stretch for the poor guy. I hadn't noticed before that the McDonalds in Canada display their maple leaf. Very cool.
    [​IMG]

Since we stayed on the outside of Merritt we rode through downtown on our way out. Merritt is a small town and very friendly.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Monkey in the Garden?
    [​IMG]

The water was high and moving fast.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oldtimer and Adam weren't behind me, they stopped for something so I waited at a viewpoint.
    [​IMG]

Gotta get different angles of the bike since I have time. :D
    [​IMG]

Here comes Oldtimer, where's Adam?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Apparently Adam had forgotten to fasten one of his bags and had to stop and get things in order. We're on our way again.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stopped for a little break.
    [​IMG]

Flowers
    [​IMG]

I tried to get creative with the pic. of the flowers.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lunch time at the 70 Mile House - I had eaten here before and it was good so we decided to see if it was still good and it was.
    [​IMG]

Oldtimer made friends with some of the other customers. He's a flirt and the ladies love him. :raabia
    [​IMG]

Getting gas in Canada with our credit/debit cards was confusing at first but we finally figured it out. We would have to select an amount but it would only charge the amount pumped. I was apprehensive about this so I was checking my credit card account at the end of each day as long as I could access the internet. It all worked as it as supposed to and nothing was overcharged.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After we got checked into our rooms we walked to dinner.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I guess the beer was good. I had to take the guy's word for it as I didn't drink any.
    [​IMG]

As we were walking back to the motel I took time to enjoy the flowers along the way.
    [​IMG]

More coming . . .
  16. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Day 3, Sun. 6/30/19
    To South Hazelton, BC - 346 miles

Getting packed up to go. The weather isn't terrible but it's overcast and I prefer blue skies.
    [​IMG]

We are on our way. We figured out if we put Adam between the two of us he did better. If he was last he would lag way behind and if he was in front his speed was sporadic. Why being between the two of kept his erratic riding at Bay we don't know but it worked. :lol3
    [​IMG]

Breakfast
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Burns Lake
    [​IMG]

We stopped for lunch and saw motorcycles parked at a bar and grill so we thought that might be a good place.
    [​IMG]

The inside was dark, drab and the food was expensive so we went down the street to the A&W.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There were motorcycles here too and they were adventure bikes so more the type Oldtimer and I can relate to. Adam could relate to the motorcycles as the first spot but we had the advantage, two against one. :D
    [​IMG]

A lady walking by asked if we wanted her take a picture of the two of us together. Apparently she thought we were a couple. We didn't correct her and let her snap a shot. I'm making a weird face. . . Oh well I guess that's who I am. :lol3
    [​IMG]

Adam being a two-fisted drinker
    [​IMG]

Lunch over and time to get back on the bikes and head down the road.
    [​IMG]

Watch out for critters
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Flowers :flug:clap
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This might have been a good place to eat but we didn't stop since we already ate.
    [​IMG]

Mountain pictures being taken. The lens on my camera has a smudge on it. I need to clean it more often and pay attention to not touching it.
    [​IMG]

We stopped at Canadian Tire because I like that store.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This motel was a good place to stay. The lady that owns it is super nice and helpful. We didn't even have our bikes unloaded and Adam was on his phone. :lol3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There were flowers to enjoy.
    [​IMG]

We wanted a picture of all three of us with our bikes with the mountains behind us. The owner of the motel took the picture for us. She was having fun hanging out with us outside. She liked the bikes.
    [​IMG]

We rode to town and had breakfast for dinner.
    [​IMG]

Next time I ride in the South Hazelton area I will definitely stay here again. The price was right, the rooms were clean and the owner is top-notch.

There is more coming but it will be a few day. In about an hour I will be headed to Oregon to go play with mini bikes. :D:wings
    BHlvr, klaviator, B10Dave and 6 others like this.
  17. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Day 4, Mon. 7/1/19
    To Hyder, AK - 162 miles

It's a short riding day that is taking us to our destination, Hyder, AK
    [​IMG]

Before we left South Hazelton, BC Adam wanted to put his camera on his helmet. He didn't want to stick the mount that came with the camera on his helmet so he was trying to tape it on the helmet. He got it on there, sorta.
    [​IMG]

We went to town for gas and I stopped at the Visitors Center and grabbed a couple pictures.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the road.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The pictures don't do this ride justice.
    [​IMG]

Stopping for breakfast. This is not McDonald's :lol3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After our tummies were full we went outside for a photo op.
    [​IMG]

Normally this route has a lot of wildlife on it but we were seeing any this time. I did see one bear but that was it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First sight of Bear Glacier.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I thought Adam would be excited about seeing the glacier but he wasn't so I figured he was excited about getting to AK and didn't want to mess around looking at a glacier.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had Adam take the lead because I wanted to get a picture of him crossing into AK
    [​IMG]

I thought he would stop at the sign but he didn't.
    [​IMG]

Oldtimer and I stopped.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first time I went to AK in 2006, I was excited about it and I stopped for a pic. I was alone and the gal that owns the gift shop saw I was taking a picture of my bike came toward me with outstretched arms, gave me a hug and said "welcome to AK". She then asked if I wanted a picture of me with the sign and I said I did. This is my first exposure to AK in 2006.
    Hyder.JPG

As I was getting a pic of Oldtimer and looking around Adam was up the street just a bit waiting for us.
    [​IMG]

I like the sign above the street.
    [​IMG]

This was the gift shop the first time I was there. The lady that owns it is named Caroline and she has moved the shop to another building across the street and up two blocks.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We told Adam he needed to get Hyderized while he was in Hyder. He had been "practing" for the last week. :lol3
    [​IMG]

We told him we had already done it on another trip so he wouldn't be expecting us to drink with him.
    [​IMG]

He had just drank a shot of Everclear (Hyderized) and was enjoying it.
    [​IMG]

Amazingly when he asked for a second he was served one. :eekers I don't think they are supposed to do that but the bartender didn't care.
    [​IMG]

After two shots of Everclear I'm guessing this is what he saw.
    [​IMG]

I got his picture commemorating the event.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We stayed here, Sealaska
    [​IMG]

We went for a walk after checking in.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wanted to eat fish at The Bus but we waited to go there.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yep, it works.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Returning to The Bus.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the hood of The Bus.
    [​IMG]

Waiting for dinner. Once dinner arrived I was too busy eating to remember getting a picture of it. I had fish and chips and it was very good.
    [​IMG]

Walking back to our rooms
    [​IMG]

Our motorcycles from outside of our rooms.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not a bad view and it could be seen from my room.
    [​IMG]

Inside the bar at Sealaska
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IronButt route to hit all all the states except Hawaii.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A view toward another direction.
    [​IMG]

More to come . . .
    BHlvr, klaviator, SoPaRider and 2 others like this.
  18. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Day 5, Tue. 7/2/19
    To Houston, BC - 245 miles

My goals are much different than Adam's goals for riding. Like many people, that document the states they have ridden in, all Adam cared about was to get his tires in AK and to get Hyderized. It was his 49th state and he was happy to have the bragging rights of "riding" in 49 states. Oldtimer and I still had a good time even though we are more inclined to see what we can see and experience the differences in the places we go. Adam wanted to ride in AK and we made sure he got his wish.

Time to head south and back home since I only had a week off from work.
    [​IMG]

Sealaska has motel style rooms up front and in the back they have sleeping rooms. Rainbow007 and I stayed in the sleeping rooms when we went there in 2016. The sleeping rooms only have a bed with the bathroom and shower room down the hall. Both the motel rooms and sleeping rooms are clean and comfortable.

Packing up to head out.
    [​IMG]

I liked this little cabin enough I took another photo of it as we were headed out.
    [​IMG]

The first time I was in Hyder the streets were all dirt, the pavement stopped at the border. When Rainbow007 and I visited the streets were in the process of being paved. Now things are paved. It's probably better for the folks that live there but it removed some of the charm for me.
    [​IMG]

Another cabin, it's located behind the Sealaska. My dream, when I got out of high school and was married, was to live in a log cabin or house. That hasn't happened but I still like them.
    [​IMG]

On the road with me in the lead.
    [​IMG]

The road between Hyder, AK and Stewart, BC.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stewart, BC
    [​IMG]

A little foggy out there.
    [​IMG]

Passing Bear Glacier again.
    [​IMG]

Things were damp and chilly but there was the promise of blue skies.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time to eat dinner.
    [​IMG]

The welcoming committee was relaxing.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oldtimer's meal is bigger than him.
    [​IMG]

So was mine, I wasn't able to eat all my dinner. Too much food and the price didn't give any hints to the meals being huge.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I couldn't believe Oldtimer had dessert too. :eekers
    [​IMG]

So did Adam. I passed on dessert but it sure looked good.
    [​IMG]

It was a good thing we were stopped for the night. I don't think those two could have ridden any further, they needed to let all that food settle. :lol3

More to come . . . .
    BHlvr, klaviator, SoPaRider and 3 others like this.
  19. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad I found your thread LB!! This is awesome!!! :kumbaya
  20. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Nicknewb likes this.