Riding, Geocaching and Exploring . . . .

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Ladybug, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Day 6, Tue. 7/3/19
    To McBride, BC - 322 miles

[​IMG]

We started the day with a little rain.
    [​IMG]

We had to stop to put on rain gear since we weren't riding out of it.
    [​IMG]

We got out of the rain and found a place for breakfast.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The boys look happy.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We checked things out after breakfast.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Moving along with a stop to adjust things.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty trees
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ah darn, more wet stuff and my gas light came on.
    [​IMG]

Glove drying station at the motel.
    [​IMG]

There are still a couple more days before we get back to Spokane. . .
  2. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Day 7, Tue. 7/4/19
    To Merritt, BC - 303 miles

[​IMG]

Another rainy day and not many pictures as we made our way south.
    [​IMG]

Doesn't this look fun? :jump
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A little bit of dry pavement. :clap
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oldtimer always looks so happy when we stop for a meal.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Day 8, Tue. 7/5/19
    Home, Spokane, WA - 319 miles

[​IMG]

Following water is always nice especially when water isn't falling on me.
    [​IMG]

Breakfast
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like this pic of all three of the bikes lined up.
    [​IMG]

At the border, the guard had us all group together and visited with us. A very nice guy. He gave us suggestions for good roads to ride and warned us that a herd of cattle was wandering around on the highway so we could watch out for them.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We found the cattle.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Years ago on the first ride Adam was on with the old AOL group we encountered a herd of cattle at the bottom of Rattlesnake Grade. Adam and a guy from NYC had never been on open range before and the on the cattle in the middle of the road was a bit much for them. Adam got scared and dropped his motorcycle. He recovered his composure and followed me through the cattle but he was shaken (so was the other guy but he didn't dump his bike). Adam wanted a "biker name" in the worst way and he acquired it on that ride. He was dubbed Cowboy and he still goes by to this day. He does a lot better with cattle now. :lol3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Riding into Kettler Falls, WA.
    [​IMG]

It was a nice ride, with lots of laughs and Adam got to achieve his goal of riding in AK even if it was a teeny tiny bit of AK.

Next up the 2019 Beater Bike Bonanza . . .
  4. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    July 13, 2019 Beater Bike Bonanza
    Fairgrounds in John Day, OR

The goal with the Beater Bike Bonanza is to bring forgotten motorcycles back to life and being ridden. It's also a bit of a throwback to when people made do with what they could find, make it work, and have fun without spending a lot of money. Beaters, nOObs, and non-beaters are all welcome.

A Beater is a bike that has been obtained and made into a rider for under $750.00. Safety items, tires, brakes, & lights, aren't included in the $750.00. It's all about fun and we aren't being hardcore about anything. The 2019 event was the first and it was a lot of fun.

The pictures from the thread are here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/2019-1st-annual-beater-bike-bonanza.1357140/page-15

Camp - The porta pottie is for convenience and there is a full restroom with showers too, just a little further to walk.
    [​IMG]

This little river is next to camp on the other side of the trees. I was told there is a deep spot if we wanted to play in the water. I didn't check that part out.
    [​IMG]

And this walking trail is there too.
    [​IMG]

Camping was pretty nice. I was camping in my van.
    [​IMG]

Saturday morning the poker run took place. To earn points for the poker run, games were played. Here airplanes were being assembled for the first game.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The guys are flying the planes and the gals are checking on routes.
    [​IMG]

Another game taking place. As you can see we had a large pavilion for the fun and games.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

@Jungle Man always makes a stunning figure.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Beaters getting lined up for the ride ahead.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't know what @tymetrvlr was up to but I'm sure she was up to something.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was trying to get a shot of them riding out of camp in a line but herding cats never works. :lol3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one didn't make it. It had to stay in camp since it wouldn't run. Later that evening they got it running again.
    [​IMG]

Just for fun.
    [​IMG]

Riders returned to camp while it was fairly hot out and we had games that would be done on the bikes so that would wait until after dinner.
    [​IMG]

@Apple Jam cooking for everyone.
    [​IMG]

He has it rough in this kitchen.
    [​IMG]

So yummy and he made lots so no one went hungry. (That's just one pan)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

People were looking a little tired but they got their second wind.
    [​IMG]

Dinner was done and it was time to go out and play in the parking lot.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There were a few different games taking place.
    [​IMG]

@Ed's demonstration of what to do.
    [​IMG]

Riding the plank
    [​IMG]

@Fat Toney taking a shot at the games.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Look at that smile
    [​IMG]

Evel goes for it.
    [​IMG]

I think this has an unfair advantage. :lol3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lined up for the slow race.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The cone will be dropped and the "race" will start
    [​IMG]

After the games I was asked to leave the course out so people could practice riding. I think everyone was out there practicing until we called them in when it started to get dark.
    [​IMG]

There were a few inexpensive trophies given out.
    [​IMG]

A group pic. was being taken but it must not have turned out since it never appeared.
    [​IMG]

There's the group going to get set up before the pic. Our first year of the event and the group pic. I have is a butt shot.:lol3
    [​IMG]

- July 14, 2019 The next morning
    Someone asked me what we needed to do. I told them we should put the tables and chairs away and clean up after ourselves. Everyone pitched in and everything was put away, the kitchen was cleaned, the floor swept and mopped. It was spotless all within just a few minutes. Teamwork!
    [​IMG]

On my way home with a big smile from having a fun campout I took a minute to get a couple of pretty photos.
    [​IMG]

They might just be weedy grass but they sure were shimmering in the sunshine.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I documented a road I want to check out at another time.
    [​IMG]
  5. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    I just received the confirmation that we are able to do the Beater Bike Bonanza (Triple B for short). I was afraid the Fairgrounds wasn't going to be able to let us do it but it a go. Wahhhhhooooooo!

Here's the thread for this year's event: https://advrider.com/f/threads/triple-b-and-noobs-too-6-25-20-thru-6-28-20.1413233/

A big reason we are able to have the campout during all the covid-19 restrictions is because this is still a small gathering and we are self-sufficient. Not only that with leaving the pavilion and kitchen as clean as we did we showed that we can monitor our cleanliness while we are there.

After so much of the activities this season being canceled I'm thrilled we get to have this one. There are people excited to be there and bikes are being built.
  6. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    7-21-19 A short day ride

[​IMG]

With a new bike sitting in my garage, not being ridden, I decided I should get it out and see what I might need to do to make it road ready since I planned to ride it to WI in Sept. A few ADVers were chatting about going for a ride so I went to the meetup spot to see if anyone would show up. No one did, that's the first time that has happened. It wasn't a problem since I do just fine entertaining myself.

The meetup spot was a gas station in Couer d' Alene, ID so as I waited I played with my camera and found a tiny flower to get a picture of.
    [​IMG]

My motorcycle attracted a friend. I took a picture to check the graphic company out since I want to have something put on my van. All white is just borning.
    [​IMG]

After I decided no one was going to show up I rode along the lake. This used to be four-laned and was the east/west Hwy before the interstate was completed in the early '90s. There was a nice S curve that went up a hill that was a lot of fun while riding a motorcycle. :D
    [​IMG]

That bridge up there is where the interstate is now. The S curve followed the curve of the lake.
    [​IMG]

Tony's was the hopping place back in the '60s. I think their food is still good.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I turned around here and headed back toward CdA.
    [​IMG]

Pictures of me look like I'm super grumpy even when I'm not. This is an example, I wasn't grumpy at all but I sure look like I was. :lol3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I guess it was a good day for a bicycle ride.
    [​IMG]

Hotel at the golf course and Marina next door. The high rent district.
    [​IMG]

This mural was in town. I liked it for the most part but at the same time I'm not sure I like the dripping paint look.
    [​IMG]

Years ago I had a friend I rode motorcycles with that talked about going to North Idaho College. He could go to just about any College/University he wanted to go to but chose CdA. He said he didn't know what he wanted to do so he was just getting a basic education and he loved being surround by mountains and school being at the lake.
    [​IMG]

This is part of what is overlooked.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's downtown Couer d' Alene ahead and the Couer d' Alene hotel.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Spokane River flowing out of Lake Couer d' Alene.
    [​IMG]

I was headed down Hwy 95 to Plummer, ID to have lunch.
    [​IMG]

After lunch I found this on a trailer parked next to my bike.
    [​IMG]

Beehives.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Headed home
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was a pleasant ride and I didn't find that I needed anything other than what I already had planned so all was good.
    popscycle, SoPaRider, B10Dave and 5 others like this.
  7. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wasp nests. Good thing the previous tenants had moved out....:becca
  8. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    I'm not up on my nests and hive identification. I suppose a hive would be round and hanging instead of flat and tucked inside of machinery or something like that. You're right, it's a good thing they had moved out. Now I'm going to have to read up and learn more about those stinging flying creatures and their homes.

Thanks for the insight. :thumb
    B10Dave likes this.
  9. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Day 1 8/15/19 Riding to Mt. Rainier National Park

With that new bike not being ridden much, I decided to take a few days and go for a ride.
    [​IMG]

There were racks, bags, engine guards, and a windshield ordered and they would be installed when the first service was done so this ride would be without them. I strapped a bag on the passenger seat with a few clothes and such but it didn't take long until it was sliding off. I stopped to re-strap it down tighter.
    [​IMG]

The start to this ride was making me wonder if I wanted to continue. By the time I got to George, WA where I fueled up, I was already getting tired from the wind blowing on me. At least the bag was staying on the bike better. I did discover the bike was smoother than I realized when I looked down and noticed I was riding over 85 mph and didn't realize it. Maybe that is part of why I was getting tired. A windshield makes a huge difference in fatigue factor.

The bridge crossing the Columbia River to Vantage, WA, and the Gorge is always a spectacular sight. I had already forgotten I was getting tired and seemed to get my second wind.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I see windmills I always think of the power they generate. This is located on the hill above Vantage.
    [​IMG]

My plan was to spend the night in Ellensburg, WA at a motel. Not very exciting but it is a good stopping point.

Day 2 8/16/19 Riding to Mt. Rainier National Park

I have been carrying an immersible water heater for years, probably over 30 years and use it often. I recently bought a new one so I can leave my original one in my van. They work well for heating water for tea, coffee, soup, or whatever. Chia tea was the choice. Sometimes enjoying a hot cup of tea without needing to go out is perfect.
    [​IMG]

It only takes a few minutes for a cup of water to come to a full boil.
    [​IMG]

After enjoying a cup of tea I headed out finding an old building that looked photogenic.
    [​IMG]

Leaving Ellensburg I headed south to ride the Canyon Rd. I prefer this road over the Interstate if I'm not in a hurry. The speed limit is 45 mph which is fine with me since it's runs along the Yakima River and I like looking at the river.
    [​IMG]

There are a number of easy curves.
    [​IMG]

There are other motorcyclists out enjoying the day.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I stopped to look for a geocache. I found it hidden in the guard rail. It's tiny with only enjoy room for the log to sign.
    [​IMG]

When I opened it there was a wiggly eye that made me laugh. I signed the log, returned it and the wiggly eye, then put the cache back in the guardrail.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Glamour shot of the bike while I was stopped.
    [​IMG]

A few more miles and I stopped for another geocache in a guardrail.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I noticed a little boat coming down the river so I watched it a bit.
    [​IMG]

They were busy fishing.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

An orchard
    [​IMG]

I think this is dropping down to Selah, WA. The downside of waiting for a year to do ride reports some of the memories of where I was faded.
    [​IMG]

Another stop to look for a geocache.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the little darlin'
    [​IMG]

There were a lot of pretty rocks in the retaining wall.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Have you noticed I take pictures of barns? I like barns. :D
    [​IMG]

Time for lunch
    [​IMG]

And riding again. I decided to ride over Chinook Pass.
    [​IMG]

Almost looks like you will run into the mountain.
    [​IMG]

Found some flowers
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mt. Rainier National Park.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Flowers lining the road match the center line.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm sure glad I have my senior pass and don't have to pay these prices, I get in free. Age has its advantages.:clap
    [​IMG]

There are some nice falls in the park.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No matter how many times I go to Mt. Rainier National Park I'm still in awe of the scenery.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just looking for a little Paradise.
    [​IMG]

Paradise wasn't paradise for me, there were way too many people. I left without taking pictures. I continued on.
    [​IMG]

My stop for the night was Centralia, WA.

Day 3 8/17/19 On my way home

When I got up it was raining. My plan was to ride to the Johnson Ridge side of Mt. St. Helens but since it was raining there wasn't much sense of going up since I wouldn't be able to see much. I canceled the idea and headed home a day early.

At the top of White Pass the rain stopped. The Cascade Mountain Range is the division of the wet side (west) and the dry side (east). I'm now riding on the dry side.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I sure took a lot of pictures of my bike on this ride. I do admit this bike is better looking than my other bikes.
    [​IMG]

The water was moving right along.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's getting warmer and there are less trees but plenty of rocks.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like this fence.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vineyard in the Yakima, WA area.
    [​IMG]

I think these are hops.
    [​IMG]

Lots of them
    [​IMG]

The last stretch through central WA is pretty treeless.
    [​IMG]

When I arrived home the bike had close to 1000 so its break in service could be done and the accessories put on.

The next ride on the Harley would be to WI . . .
    SoPaRider, popscycle, B10Dave and 5 others like this.
  10. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    This picture reminds me of my youth. You know, before airconditioning and color TV's. Spent many summers stacking hay in super inferno hot hay barns getting all scratched up by the hay. Then drinking gallons of lemonade in the shade of a tree to cool off before the next hay wagon rolled in. Yup, that's what this picture reminds me of. Thanks so much for sharing.

[​IMG]
  11. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    9/1/19 riding to WI

My plan was to retire from work Sept of 2020 but after one disappointment too many at work I decided to call it a year early. The end of July 2019 I crunched the numbers and decided I could live without doing that extra year. Once Medicare kicked in I would be good to go. I put my notice in and my last day at work was Aug. 31, 2019.

After my ride to Mt. Rainier I got my bike in to get the break-in service completed at the dealer as well as having my farkles installed. I like my new Harley and I like the sales process but their service dept. sucks and is too expensive.

I bought Harley side racks, side bags, rear rack, windshield, and engine guards thinking they would be all set to be put on easily. I was wrong, there was a lot more to installing them than I thought there would be so I decided I should have them installed at the dealership when I got the break-in service done. I also asked for heat grips to be installed, which I provided, and asked for the power plug for my electric jacket liner to be attached to the battery while they were in there.

Over $800.00 later and I didn't have heated grips or the electric jacket plug added to the battery. They had cut off the original grips and said the heated grips didn't fit so I went and got the other size grips and they said they didn't fit either. They said the first set was too small and the other too big? And here I thought there were only two sizes of bars. I suspect the lot worker was assigned to this job and he didn't know how to do it. I was told they didn't have time to add the power cord for my jacket to the battery. Since the grips were cut off I had to buy new grips and the only grips in stock that fit my bike were $75.00. I didn't have a choice I needed grips to be able to ride the bike. The best part was when the Service Manager told me the weather was nice and I wouldn't need heated grips or heated jacket liner. I'm guessing he has never ridden very far in the mountains in the fall. :lol3

When I got the bike home I needed to get it loaded for departure the next morning. When I looked at the side bags (soft throw over style) I noticed the bag attachment buckles were set on the top bar of the side rack. It wouldn't take too many bumps and the buckles would break...... I re-did them which only took a couple of minutes. They put the bags over the seat instead of under the seat so I put the cross strap under the seat and I considered it no big deal until I looked at my work order and saw they had charged me $50.00 to throw the bags over the seat. :devildog

Apparently I'm still a bit steamed about it. They also didn't give me the parts they took off the bike and I didn't think about it until I was about 500 miles from home. I called and told them I would pick the items up when I returned from WI. That was my fault since I didn't think to ask for my parts when I picked up the bike. I was so frustrated about the grips and jacket power cord I just wanted out of there.

With a bumpy start, I decided to ignore all that and focus on the ride ahead. Expensive lessons learned.

My start on Sat. morning wasn't as early as I wanted but it sure was nice. As rode across the Idaho state line I felt like I was finally on my way.
    [​IMG]

It's always nice riding down a hallway of trees with a blue ceiling.
    [​IMG]

Lake Pend Oreille, Sandpoint, ID
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had decided to head north then east into Montana for a short distance then north again to Canada and head east in Canada.

This is a tiny long time cafe north of Sandpoint.
    [​IMG]

The intersection of Hwy 95 and 2 has this cool store at it. There is a gas station across the street if needed too. I usually stop at the gas station.
    [​IMG]

From Hwy 95 I headed east on Hwy 2 into MT for a bit then NE on 508. 508 is a wonderful paved road that goes over the mountain to Lake Koocanusa. I usually stop at Yaak Falls when I ride this road.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the town of Yaak, MT the road gets narrower.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's the bridge crossing Lake Koocanusa.
    [​IMG]

I stopped to look for a geocache. At this point the service manager was correct, I didn't need heated grips or jacket, I was plenty warm. I had my camping gear with me and ended up not using it. Having it with me is a little like having a security blanket since I know I will always have a tent and warm sleeping bag if needed.
    [​IMG]

Headed into Canada.
    [​IMG]

The line looks long for this area but it was moving rapidly.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is a geocache at the big green truck so I had to stop.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The truck is a big sucker.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was enjoying this ride.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Frank's Slide buried much of the town in 1903 killing people and devastated the community. It's difficult to imagine a mountain falling on a town.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some of the rocks from the slide, the road goes through the slide remnants. Pictures don't capture the feel of this area.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Water Tower Bar and Grill in Lethbridge, AB. It was a water tower and has been turned into a high-end restaurant. It's on my list as somewhere I want to have a meal someday.
    [​IMG]

I found a room in Lethbridge and called it a night.

There are 14 days of this trip coming as I make my way east then home again. . .
  12. MarkVeeMarkADV

MarkVeeMarkADV sharing misinformation and useless trivia

Oddometer:
    It's always nice riding down a hallway of trees with a blue ceiling.

Lady Thank you for your ride report! and pics.
    I have been fortunate to have traveled round the country (and even lived in Homer,Ak)
    Your report, reminder of my time north of Priest Lake, Id; only regret now is not takin pics!
    I am also retired now, with free time? and enuf $... but I relive my travel in my memory, in
    my bed at night. now, I have your pics included.
    Thank You Again
    Mark in New England, east coast.
  13. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    @MarkVeeMarkADV, I'm glad this report reminds you of your time N. of Priest Lake and you are enjoying following along.
  14. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Day 2 Monday 9/2/19 Thru Day 5 Thursday 9/5/19

After the first day of nice riding the next 4 days were wet, cold, windy and a mixture of all three off and on. That darned service manager was so wrong, I needed and wanted my heated grips and jacket liner. I brought my jacket liner cord with me so I could attach it to the battery but that first night when I stopped I discovered the battery isn't easy to get to and decided I shouldn't mess with it. I did install it at home and it took me about 2 hours watching a couple of you tubes, reading the service manual and messing with the bike to get the cord installed. I never did get the battery out. I thought the battery in my BMW was buried pretty well since it's under the false tank but it doesn't hold a candle compared to the one buried in this HD. I like the old days when you could lift the seat and there was the battery, easy peasy. Believe it or not, I do still like the bike but I need to learn how to get that battery out in case I ever have to get to it while on the road.

Day 2 Monday
    First things first - - - go find a geocache in the rain at the big corn stalk statue.
    [​IMG]

It looked a bit better with the wet spot that was on the camera lens cropped out.
    [​IMG]

That night I played with the picture and different effects and likes some of them.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sometimes playing with a picture of something simple can be fun. I did a number of them in different colors.

I stopped at a McDonalds for coffee and to warm up at the next town and this sign caught my eye. Sustainability is becoming very sought after. The company I worked at helps other companies become more sustainable so when I see that word it grabs my attention.
    [​IMG]
    Maybe the rain will wash the bug guts off the windshield. :webers
    [​IMG]

There was a geocache near this but I didn't go look for it.
    [​IMG]
    It cleared up a bit but it was still chilly. :vardy
    [​IMG]

The scenery was minimal.
    [​IMG]

I found flowers, flowers make everything good.
    [​IMG]

There was a rest area here and unfortunately, the Visitor Center wasn't open.
    [​IMG]

Headed for more weather.
    [​IMG]

There is a geocache in this area too but I kept on moving although I did snap a shot as I rode by.
    [​IMG]

Grabbed a shot so I have an idea where I am.
    [​IMG]

Bird viewing tower.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 3 Tuesday
    Getting all dressed up for the day ahead.
    [​IMG]

I wear cheap Walmart Frogg Toggs so to keep the legs from flapping or getting caught on the pegs I put the little bungies around my ankles and a little further up my leg. It works, they keep me dry and fairly comfortable.
    [​IMG]

Loaded up and ready to head out.
    [​IMG]

It wasn't long before the weather broke and things were looking better.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was a cute town so I had to check it out a bit.
    [​IMG]

I think this is supposed to be haunted but I didn't see any ghostly subjects.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh my, I'm going to need coffee if there are too many miles like this. :snore
    [​IMG]

Stopped here for lunch and that coffee I needed.
    [​IMG]
    Ah, my poor shiny bike isn't so shiny. The Harley crowd will be so disappointed in me. :jump
    [​IMG]

I think I took a wrong turn.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 4 Wednesday
    When I have to go through a city I prefer to do it early in the morning before traffic gets too bad. Winnipeg wasn't bad at 6:30 am.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stopped here for breakfast.
    [​IMG]

I liked the bears outside.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The food was good too and into the next Province I rode.
    [​IMG]

Things were looking up but I was behind schedule from stopping earlier each day than I planned because of the weather. Cold weather zaps my energy and it's just not worth it to keep riding when I start feeling like I'm not 100%.
    [​IMG]

At least there were things to look at.
    [​IMG]

Another geocache to find.
    [​IMG]

And one here too.
    [​IMG]

No cache here but I liked the totem pole.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This guy was guarding a geocache.
    [​IMG]

The speedo on this bike only has MPH so I had a conversion chart located where I could see it easily. I learned to do this back in the '80s when I rode a different Harley. My other bikes speedos have both.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Look at the size of this mosquito, you'd think he was in AK. Well, he is north and has his pray and ready for dinner. Yep, a geocache had me stopping here. Things like this make me chuckle and is a break in the miles when the roads get boring. You can't see it in this picture but the mosquito is holding a knife and fork. :lol3
    [​IMG]

Cool looking church.
    [​IMG]

Stopped for the night.
    [​IMG]

Day 5 Thursday
    I found the google car. I wonder if I will be in one of their google maps pictures :lol3
    [​IMG]

I shot the intersection signs. Too bad I don't remember what town I was in.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My original plan was to ride to Sault Ste. Marie to see the start of the Cross Country Chase. I realized I wasn't going to be able to get there in time so I re-routed to be able to meet the riders as they got off the ferry at Manitowoc, WI.

Headed south from Canada.
    [​IMG]

Another hallway of trees and this one with a blue and white ceiling.
    [​IMG]

Being able to ride next to one of the great lakes was a treat.
    [​IMG]

I stopped at a viewpoint to stretch my legs and soak in the view.
    [​IMG]

When the trees change colors I bet this is spectacular.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Windshield wash
    [​IMG]

This lumberjack was guarding the place I stopped for lunch.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's dry here
    [​IMG]

Not dry for long
    [​IMG]

I stopped in Green Bay for the night which is only about 40 miles from where I would be meeting the ferry the next day. I would have plenty of time and I would get to see all the cool old bikes and their riders.

Drying station. My peanut butter and jam made a good weight. :D
    [​IMG]

Next up, I'll be showing you a lot of pictures of old bikes. . .
    SoPaRider, popscycle, BHlvr and 6 others like this.
  15. PDFT-T4R

PDFT-T4R n00b

Oddometer:
    Google Streets has this Sept. 2019 image on Williams St at Nipigon Rd, a few hundred feet east of the intersection of Golf Links Rd, Edwards St N, James St N, and Williams St in Thunder Bay, Ontario.
    upload_2020-6-7_20-26-29.png
    Must be you riding west on Williams St?
    That was fun finding that, sort of like finding a geocache.
    I'm enjoying your ride reports, pictures and all. Thanks!

Attached Files:

BHlvr, MasterMarine and Nicknewb like this.
  16. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    WOW, that is me. You have some good google foo going on there. :thumb:lol3 Thanks for finding it and posting this. Now I have pic of me riding my Harley.
    BHlvr likes this.
  17. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Day 6 Friday 9/6/19

Heading out of Green Bay (I think that is where I was). I like this arched bridge.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I must have been bored. Here's a shot of a $75 grip.
    [​IMG]

This is what I envision when I think of WI
    [​IMG]

With a name like Adventures, I had to stop for lunch.
    [​IMG]

Every so often I found leaves that had changed. I was a little early for fall foliage but I did enjoy the colors I did find.
    [​IMG]

More WI
    [​IMG]

I don't want to overlook the dairy cows
    [​IMG]

Are you ever curious about what other riders are carrying? Here's peek into a tiny slice of my riding world. Peanut Butter and jam on tortillas make a good meal. I also carry foil packets of tuna, salmon, & chicken, a packet of meat with a cheese stick wrapped in a tortilla also makes a good meal. If I'm staying in a motel and it has a microwave heating up the meat, cheese, tortilla is ummmm, ummmm good. :dukegirl The meat packets are at the bottom of this.
    [​IMG]

When I'm riding I do what I can to keep the expenses down and sometimes I do better than others. I try to limit my restaurant meals to one a day or even not at all and eat simple instead which is where the tortilla meals come in. Of course, there are those times when I want to get off the bike and have a hot cup of coffee while someone waits on me and brings me a hot meal. :*sip*

There is still a lot more ahead. . .
  18. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    This morning I have a couple of hours so I have time to add to this report. I just spent 3 days driving from WA to WI so I can have a short visit with my sisters.
    Now on to the report...

Day 7 Friday 9/7/19

There were two things on the agenda for this ride and the first was to see the start of the Cross Country Chase but as I said earlier that wasn't going to happen. I was a little disappointed that I wasn't going to make it but it's better to be safe and not override my energy level.

This is the Chase schedule and I will see them during Stage 2.
    [​IMG]

A rider headed to the ferry dock to meet the chase.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another bike waiting to meet the Chase.
    [​IMG]

And a cool car was there too.
    [​IMG]

Warning: This is going to be long and picture heavy since I don't want to decide which ones to post or not. I hope you all like old bikes. :D

Here comes the ferry with The Cross Country Chase riders and bikes.
    [​IMG]

First off the ferry was the chase truck and trailer. There are a lot of bikes on the trailer for it being the start of the event but the riders will get them back into the Chase. Some of the bikes belong to staff and sponsors so there really isn't that many bikes that belong to participants.
    [​IMG]

Bikes starting to exit the ferry. Not all are in the Chase.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

@RTWDoug was riding as part of the staff for this one instead of a participant like he does on the Motorcycle Cannonballs. You can read about some of his adventures here: http://motosapiens.org/motocamp/ If you have a desire to visit Bulgaria check out that website. Doug isn't at the camp very often but his gal, Polly, is and she is an amazing person.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was so much fun watching the stream of bikes coming off the ferry.
    [​IMG]

This one had to be walked off.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks like there was an issue with this bike too.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's moving again, problem fixed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Which bike do you like best? Can you choose between them? I can't. :D
    There is a lot more to come as I head to Milwaukee for the days finish for the Chase :ricky . . .

SoPaRider, BHlvr, B10Dave and 2 others like this.
  19. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    More of Day 7 Friday 9/7/19

After seeing all the bikes come off the ferry I wanted lunch and stopped here.
    [​IMG]

It was cloudy as I headed south toward Milwaukee but I didn't get rained on.
    [​IMG]

I arrived at the Harley Davidson Museum.
    [​IMG]

The days finish for the Chase riders would be here and I arrived just a few minutes before they started rolling in. I had invited Adam (from our AK ride) to join me. I figured since he lives near Chicago he wasn't too far away and he would enjoy all the bikes and riders. He was there when I arrived but I didn't get any shots of him.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Chase riders coming in.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

@rtwdoug showed up and I was going to visit with him for a few minutes but it only took a few seconds until he was surrounded by people. I figured I would see him the next morning but that didn't happen. I've seen him ride a KTM and now this Tiger and he doesn't look right on either of them. He belongs on something old and well ridden.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Off I headed to the motel for the night.
    [​IMG]

I hope you're not bored with all these old bikes. . .
    SoPaRider, BHlvr, B10Dave and 5 others like this.
  20. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does you new bike have a name?