Riding, Geocaching and Exploring . . . .

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Ladybug, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Thank you @black 8 and @LadyFish4. I have rides I haven't posted about yet so while I'm kicked back with my sore leg elevated I'm going to work on them. I will be telling you all about the fun PNW Buttercup and I had soon.
  2. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Now that I'm retired I had so many plans for this year and then Covid-19 changed everything, well almost everything. Events were canceled left and right and staying home away from people became the normal way of life for a while but I sure didn't like it.

March 2020
    While I was on the phone with my friend Barry discussing our plans for the summer of 2020 we still thought things would ease up and we would be able to continue with our summer plan. Heck, there were a few months to get the Covid-19 thing figured out and we were hopeful for a rapid fix. We all know that didn't happen.

During our planning, Barry mentioned a few of his friend was doing a Scooter Cannonball and he suggested we meetup with them at one of their day ends to cheer them on. Sure that sounded like a good thing to do. It wouldn't be the antique motorcycles like the motorcycle cannonball but people riding cross country on a scooter is also unique and takes a special kind of rider.

Well, it wasn't long into our conversation we decided to buy scooters and do it too. Within a few hours, we both found scooters on Craiglist we wanted, made arrangements to buy them, and registered for the Scooter Cannonball. I think we were in a race to see which of us found and bought one first. It was pretty much a tie.

Knowing the Scooter Cannonball might be canceled or postponed we agreed we would plan on it but if it didn't happen we will do it in 2021. Yep, it was postponed until 2021 but we are already signed up and have our plans figured out, including motels. We decided on this ride we would motel rather than camp since we haven't learned how to tour on scooters yet and decided doing a cross country trip isn't a good time to deal with it.

Here's the scooter I bought.
    Scooter.JPG

Barry bought a 2007 Piaggio 250.

Being bored and talking with Barry on the phone often becomes expensive but I am looking forward to 2021 and riding the Scooter Cannonball.
    black 8, BHlvr, RedDogAlberta and 8 others like this.
  3. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    5-3-20 Scouting a ride route to Elberton, WA

With things being shut down pretty tight the Spokane/Couer d' Alene ADVers were needing to get out for a ride and some of us more than others. I decided to go out and look for a route. I took my van for the scouting since I wasn't sure how things were out there.

This is my passenger seat. I had all my sanitizing stuff, lunch, and water so I wouldn't have to stop anywhere other than fuel. I have a camp potty in my van so I wouldn't have to stop at a rest area. I was a little apprehensive about going out but my mental health needed it.
    [​IMG]

The weather started out nice but then it started to rain.
    [​IMG]

The rain didn't last long and I was enjoying the countryside.
    [​IMG]

I stopped here to look for a geocache but I didn't find it.
    [​IMG]

The burned trees are a bit depressing but the flowers blooming all around them was a welcome sight.
    [​IMG]

Field either freshly planted or ready to be planted. The Palouse is amazing.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't realize where I was until I saw the barn. I had never been on the road on this side of the Rattlers Run farm. This is where they hold vintage trials and motocross in Sept. each year.
    [​IMG]

Old buildings intrigued me, I wish they could talk.
    [​IMG]

Refurbished is nice but doesn't have the charm the original structures have as far as I'm concerned.
    [​IMG]

This is where the building are.
    [​IMG]

The bridge got my attention and there is a geocache near it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had to check out the road and I need to return on the Superbug:pynd
    [​IMG]

Time to turn around and return. I didn't find the cache but I didn't look very hard.
    [​IMG]

Glamour shot of my van.
    [​IMG]

This is where I was. The John Wayne Trail isn't supposed to be open to motorized vehicle but there wasn't any signage indicating such.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This looked like a good road to check out and as long as it's not wet it will be good for the ride route.
    [​IMG]

More rain.
    [​IMG]

Oaksdale, WA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Steptoe Butte. It's a State Park and the road in was gated closed. I have never seen this road closed before and it was an unwelcome sign of what Covid-19 is responsible for. :(:
    [​IMG]

Elberton
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After determining there was a place we could have a picnic and remain at a distance I was good as using this for a route the next week.
    [​IMG]

I went to see if I could find a couple geocaches.
    [​IMG]

Found flowers.
    [​IMG]

There is a geocache outside the Elbertson cemetery.
    [​IMG]

There are two geocaches between Elberton and the cemetery and I didn't find either of them. I rarely look very hard but I like the areas they take me too.

On my way again I rode through the town of Steptoe, WA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Out on farm roads in the Palouse
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another Ghosttown. Winona, WA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This little bugger looked like a rock right up until I was next to it. I'm glad I decided to avoid the rock in the road.
    [​IMG]

As soon as I could get turned around I returned to help him off the road. I didn't want him/her to get squished.
    [​IMG]

Wasn't very sociable about the free ride across the road and ducked inside it's shell again. I put it on the water side of the road and pointed it's nose toward it.
    [​IMG]

Part of the Channelled Scablands left from the historic Missoula Floods.
    [​IMG]

Another spot locked up tight. I want to return to this road again, maybe next year.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's not going to be long and we won't find these type of windmills any longer.
    [​IMG]

I had this road in my route but I wasn't sure I should try it with my low clearance van.
    [​IMG]

This road I did take.
    [​IMG]

This is the route I drove.
    [​IMG]

It was so good to get out of the house and it felt good to have a route determined for anyone that showed up the next week to ride.
  4. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    5/8/20 Harley Frustration
    With planning to ride my 750 for the Elberton ride on 5/9/20 I wanted to add the power cord for my electric jacket line so I could stay warm. My mechanical abilities are much but I have always been able to access my batteries and add things like power cords, even on my BMW, but the Harley is a totally new challenge.

I'm used to batteries you can access easily by pulling off the seat or a side panel. When I looked for this battery I couldn't find it so I looked it up on Youtube and decided it was going to be a challenge. I already had the seat off and decided to pull the bike out of the garage to have more room to move around and better light.
    [​IMG]

I put a tarp down so I wouldn't lose parts and tools in the grass.
    [​IMG]

So I would know how to do it the next time I detailed it all out for myself. I'm going to share with you just because.
    [​IMG]

It's sort of like find Waldo
    [​IMG]

Gotta undo the fuse, the directions said so. I had never done that before but I did this time.

[​IMG]

The belt guard needs to be removed to get to the battery
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's the battery
    [​IMG]

Even though I found the battery I couldn't figure out how to get it out.

I had to call Barry for over the phone help. I sent him the Youtube directions before he had to explain to me what needed to be done.
    [​IMG]

I still wasn't able to get the battery out or get to the negative post so I grounded to another bolt. Barry made sure I was doing things right via phone and pictures. I'm glad I have him for a friend.

[​IMG]

I had the manual out too.
    [​IMG]

The last Harley I owned all I had to do to get to the battery is pop open the seat, boy have times changed. :lol3

With the power cord installed and the bike buttoned back up I was ready to ride the next day. I'll tell you about the ride in the next post.
    NSFW, Nicknewb, BHlvr and 3 others like this.
  5. LC Garage

LC Garage On Any Sunday Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good post on battery access, I often wonder about the engineers who build these modern creations that are so averse to maintenance.

In your previous post where you mentioned if old buildings could talk, I totally agree and often think the same thing. So many lives and so much history witnessed by these old buildings. It's a shame they can't tell their tales.
    dammitdave and Ladybug like this.
  6. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    @LC Garage, I think they are working at forcing people to take their motorcycles to dealers instead of working on themselves.

Before the summer was canceled the plan was that Barry would help me figure out how to get the battery out when he was here. Since he didn't come to the NW this year that didn't happen. The next time there is a workday I might just bring it with me and challenge my OSR/T98 friends with this silly bike that should be easy to work on. Isn't that what so many Harley riders say about Harleys? :D

I'm glad you are still following this thread.
    LC Garage and BHlvr like this.
  7. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    5/9/20 ADV ride to Elberton, WA

I plotted two routes, one pavement and the other part pavement and part dirt. I would lead the pavement ride while the dirt riders would head out in their own group. This is the route the pavement ride took.
    [​IMG]

Motorcycle ready to go. This is a Harley XG750.
    [​IMG]

We met at a gas station and decided who was going to go with which group. Everyone brought their lunch and we would meet again at the destination in Elberton.

[​IMG]

There was a variety of motorcycles.
    [​IMG]

Part of the dirt group.
    [​IMG]

PNW Buttercup is looking good.
    [​IMG]

It didn't take any time to get out of town, the stoplights, and traffic.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This person has a lot more energy than I have.
    [​IMG]

I made a wrong turn and had us riding a gravel road. Sabrina and Esther were waiting for me to figure out what I was doing.:lol3 It's all part of the adventure. :thumb
    [​IMG]

I had to get a shot of my $75 Harley grip. :devildog
    [​IMG]

I managed to get an over the shoulder shot of the riders following me.
    [​IMG]

Flowers, lots of flowers. :raabia
    [​IMG]

Changing terrain. I like how things change rapidly from farmlands to forests and back again.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Me :lol3
    [​IMG]

Long stretches of pavement has me playing with my camera.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Every time I pass this I enjoy seeing it. It makes me think of calmer times.
    [​IMG]

There are still a few patriotic people around.
    [​IMG]

Another wrong turn onto a gravel road. One of the riders stopped on this one and wouldn't follow me a couple of miles I went hoping it would connect with pavement again. I like I was about to get fired as ride leader.
    [​IMG]

Nice bike
    [​IMG]

Back on the pavement and flowers greeting us from the sidelines.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not this time but I will check it out another time.
    [​IMG]

It looks fun, doesn't it? Summer road in the Palouse are fun to check out.
    [​IMG]

Someone forgot their bus.
    [​IMG]

There's the group again
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There were a couple of miles of gravel to Elberton that couldn't be avoided. Esther didn't like riding gravel on the bike she rode this day so I sent the other riders ahead and hung back with her, to make sure she did OK. She has a few other bikes she does well with on dirt/gravel but this one is a handful for her but she did great on it even in the gravel and dirt.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We made it to the picnic spot.
    [​IMG]

The dirt riders made it before the pavement riders. They were riding at a spirited pace and found a couple of shortcuts. That house is vacant.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lunch and relaxation.
    [​IMG]

People started to wander around. There are hiking trails beyond that porta potty and a obstacul course type of thing. It's a boyscout thing or something.
    [​IMG]

Even if the bridge is unsafe we still have to check it out.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Returning
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Flowers found
    [​IMG]

I don't know if this is an old school or an old church but I sure would like to go inside it.
    [​IMG]

Headed home.
    [​IMG]

I decided to stop about 10 miles from Spokane in case someone needed fuel and I wanted something to drink. Eric wanted coffee, he said he was falling asleep. I think he was saying something about my routing and slow (speed limit) riding. :lol3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are a couple of picnic tables outside so we took a break. While we were out there enjoying our cold drinks the station wasn't busy so the clerk brought out samples of huckleberry ice cream for everyone. That resulted in a few people buying ice cream and I didn't get any pics of ice cream but take my word for it was yummy.

The last 10 miles.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was very nice to get together with everyone for a ride. This year I value my time with friends even more than I did before and I already valued them a lot.
    black 8, Nicknewb, BHlvr and 4 others like this.
  8. dammitdave

dammitdave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Ladybug! This section of the old UP line is part of the pattern of consolidation and abandonment of the agricultural and timber railroads that were overbuilt in the first part of the 20th century. It takes an enormous amount of labor to build these cuts and grades through the Palouse. It's interesting to trace the history of the many lives, and their towns, that these rails connected. Some of that history lives on in the half dozen short lines that still operate in the area. Thanks for taking us along! dd

I had to check out the road and I need to return on the Superbug:pynd
    [​IMG]

Time to turn around and return. I didn't find the cache but I didn't look very hard.
    [​IMG]
    B10Dave, jeickerman and Ladybug like this.
  9. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    5/15/20 - 5/17/20 Gambler 500 Virtual Corona Mini-Bike Race.

Covid-19, impacting everything, changed the format of the 2020 Mini-Bike Race. The folks with the Oregon Gambler 500 encourage everyone to ride their minibikes 100 miles near their home or other places they chose. Our group decided to go with that idea rather than canceling our plans so it was on. . .

LC Garage scouted out a course at Virtual Flats near Baker City, OR where he lives and invited all of us to camp in his yard.

Friday evening we were together and had a lot of laughs.

Kootenai Rider changing a tire.
    [​IMG]

LC Garage's daughter, Teeny, has joined this group of crazy riders and is learning to work on bikes from her dad. Here she is showing the weld and painting she did on this bike. I didn't do as well with the photo as she did with the repair.
    [​IMG]

Motorcycles always need to be checked out.
    [​IMG]

Kootenai Rider still working on a tire change and LB98 is my minibike. I decided since LC Garage bought the last mini we rode I would buy this one. It's luxury with suspension.
    [​IMG]

I don't know what was going on with Jose and LC Garage but Jose sure seems happy and LC Garage has a priceless look. Oh yeah, and there is my van in the background - that's where I'm "camping".
    [​IMG]

The blow-up man was a lot of laughs. I can't remember his name. That's Little Red, LC Garage's wife giving blow-up doll a look. :lol3
    [​IMG]

And others are trying to ignore him.
    [​IMG]

Except for Jungleman who seems to have found a new friend.
    [​IMG]

Not long after that, we were all off to bed since we had a big day ahead of us the next day.
    BHlvr and B10Dave like this.
  10. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Saturday and the day of the Corona 100.

This year there were 3 minis slated to be ridden by our teams then it turned into a 4th being ridden.

Bikes are being loaded up to head out to Virtual Flats.
    [​IMG]

Once again we went with the patriotic red, white and blue theme.
    [​IMG]

Jungleman taking a lap around the yard.
    [​IMG]

We all made it out to the OHV Park including Jax the wonder dog.
    [​IMG]

Directions on how we would be riding were being given.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jax seems to be confused by what the heck these people are doing.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The three minis that will be racing.
    [​IMG]

Everyone getting ready for a practice lap.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This outfit is so wrong.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These guys are too funny. Yes, we were all having fun.
    [​IMG]

Minis are grabbed and it doesn't matter who is on what mini at this point.

[​IMG]

The fourth mini came out even though there was no intention of racing it. Don't these guys look sexy?
    [​IMG]

Kootenai Rider
    [​IMG]

This is Orrin, LC Garage's nephew. He's a great kid. LC Garge, Orrin and I were teammates riding LB98.
    [​IMG]

LC Garage taking a lap. We all took at least one practice lap before we started the race. We made up the rules as we went along.
    [​IMG]

I took a practice lap and stopped to snap a few photos because that's what I do.
    [​IMG]

The guys waited for me and now they are off and riding again.
    [​IMG]

And leaving me behind rapidly. :D
    [​IMG]

Jungleman stayed behind me for a few minutes then moved on.
    [​IMG]

Not a bad place to play.
    [​IMG]

Lined up for the start. Run to the mini, start it, and go....
    [​IMG]

We even had spectators and a starter with a starter pistol.
    [​IMG]

GO!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

LC Garage easily got the holeshot. That's his specialty. :clap
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Teeny is ready to take her turn. She's riding T98 with her brother and his friend.
    [​IMG]

Riding without full gear ended up being a mistake.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

He put on long pants for the rest of his laps.
    [​IMG]

Evel is always a hit.
    [​IMG]

This was new to Teeny and she was having fun.
    [​IMG]

Orrin is looking good. He did 51 miles of our team's miles, then LC Garage did most of the rest and I did a few.
    [​IMG]

One of the trail hazards.
    [​IMG]

Something happened out on the track and Teeny was walking her mini back.
    [​IMG]

She was relieved of the pushing duty.
    [​IMG]

The frame broke, she said all was good then it didn't feel right anymore. First mini bites the dust.
    [​IMG]

Then this one that Jungleman and Kootenai Rider was riding stopped running.
    [​IMG]

We all agreed they could bring the other mini into play. It was our race and we could make any rules we wanted to.:D That's what this is all about, fun.

Here Jungleman only had one lap to go to finish their laps and be the winner, they were a few laps ahead of our team. LC Garage probably has a better memory of the stats and is welcome to post his take.

As Jungleman came through the pit there was a terrible noise and we thought he would stop but he didn't.
    [​IMG]

He's dragging his skid plate.
    [​IMG]

And LC Garage is hot on his tail. The race is on.
    [​IMG]

We got ready with a finish line.
    [​IMG]

We heard and saw Jungleman coming then we saw a big poof of dust.
    [​IMG]

Blown up pic isn't that good but it's the scene. Jungleman is down and LC Garage caught up but there were still laps needed for our team. Jungleman had forgotten about the last dip in the track and hit it hard.
    [​IMG]

Kootenai Rider was placed on the finish line to bring in his teammate.
    [​IMG]

Oh Yeah, LC Garage did make sure he wasn't hurt before he continued on. I don't want anyone to think any of the riders are totally heartless.

We could hear the bike being started and started to wonder if this was going to be salvaged.
    [​IMG]

What the heck, he's dragging the bike with the engine running to help. Kootenai Rider ran to help his teammate with the mini.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They each had a handlebar and was bring that puppy to the finish line.
    [​IMG]

Teeny got a video of the action but I lost the link to it. LC Garage if you have access to it would you post it?

[​IMG]

We were yelling that they just needed to get the mini across the finish line and Little Red was ready to flag them.
    [​IMG]

And Teeny is still videoing.
    [​IMG]

Here they come. Check out the bottom of the mini.
    [​IMG]

1st place with broken pretty much in half mini and all.
    [​IMG]

OK it took them two minis to do it but by golly they did it.
    [​IMG]

Don't they look proud?
    [​IMG]

Checking the carnage.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

LC Garage and I decided we wanted Orrin to ride the final lap of our laps and cross the finish line. We enjoyed they he rode between the two broken minis to head for the finish lap.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here comes Orrin to cross the finish line.
    [​IMG]

I thought I had a pic of Orrin being flagged in but I can't find it. Dang.

Here's team LB98
    [​IMG]

Time to load up and head back to LC Garages house.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Coming back in two pieces.
    [​IMG]

And there is always fun to be had.
    [​IMG]

This will show up in a later report, we had plans for it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time for relaxation

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BBQ time, we were fed well, Thank you LC Garage, Little Red and family.
    [​IMG]

Sunday it was time to load minis up and for everyone to head home after a fun weekend full of laughs.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm sure there were more than a few looks as this trailer was being towed toward Hood River, OR.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

@LC Garage please provide your input and other pics if you have some you would like to share. This was such a fun weekend. :clap
  11. Shady Pass David

Shady Pass David Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Howdy................................:drink...................
    Metalcarver and Ladybug like this.
  12. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    I went into LC Garage's thread and grabbed the shots of Orrin crossing the finish line.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is LC Garage's thread: https://advrider.com/f/threads/last-chance-garage.1344788/page-21
    His take on the race is on this page. I wasn't able to find the video of Jungleman and Kootenai Rider bringing their mini over the finish line on his thread either. Maybe I just saw it on Teeny's phone and it was never posted.

LC Garage has a lot of tech details on different things he works on. It's fun to following his thread even though I don't understand much of what he is doing. I try to absorb at least a little knowledge.
    NSFW, klaviator and dammitdave like this.
  13. LittleWan

LittleWan You can do it!

Oddometer:
    hey Ladybug! :wave

2020 has been such a dumpster fire (I'm still sad we didn't get to meet up at the DV noob rally), it's great you guys were able to still have your mini-bike challenge! Fun pics :D

I went back a few pages and enjoyed seeing more of your past travels.
    Love the google car photo of you on your Harley (amazing catch by a dedicated reader) :thumb
    And I had no idea there was such a thing as a skinny pig! They look like teeny tiny hippos.
    Good stuff.

Glad to see you're still hunting down caches (and I notice that there are never any other vehicles around when you're exploring your local roads...:nod)
    Thanks for the reminder about your thread.
    Hope it won't be too long before we get together in person, and I'm looking forward to your upcoming ride posts.
    :flug
    Ladybug likes this.
  14. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Great to see you have joined in. Some of us have worked on salvaging this dumpster fire of 2020 as much as we can.
  15. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    6-11-20 thru 6-15-20 To WI to CO to Home in my van with a stop to buy a motorcycle.

This one will be short on pics, compared to my other installments, since it was done in my van.

As I told you earlier I moved my sister from WI to Spokane Valley to live with me indefinitely in Sept. 2019. It was so good having her here with me but when Covid-19 came into the United States through WA state she wanted to return to WI. At the time there weren't any cases in WI and she felt she would be safer there. I didn't want her to feel trapped here so I gave her the money to return to WI - she's on disability so she doesn't have the finances for things like that. A friend of hers came to sort of help her move back. She didn't want to drive a UHaul and was apprehensive about driving that far alone. She loaded what she could in her car and her friend's car and he followed her back to WI. I told her I would bring the rest of her things to her when the Covid-19 shut down eased up.

My original plan was that I would rent a UHaul truck, load it with her things, my Vespa and drive it to WI. From there I would ride the Vespa to Maine to start the Motorcycle Cannonball. Like so many things this year that plan changed when the Cannonball was postponed to 2021.

I had started to look for a TW200 but not terribly seriously since what I want it for isn't planned until 2021 but I figured if something came up I would get it now. I mentioned on ADV that I was going to buy one and I was contacted by an ADVer who just happened to have one he was going to sell. His wife had gotten it for her first bike and she had grown out of it. She's much taller than me and she bought herself a new CRF250. The downside, so thought the seller, was it was in CO. Heck, it doesn't take much to convince me to take a road trip. :D

I made an offer, he accepted it, and planning started. I could take my sister's things to her, spend her birthday with her and come home via CO and pick up a new to me bike.

I decided if I packed it right I could get my sister's things in my van and I wouldn't have to get a Uhaul. If I couldn't get it all in I would rent a very small trailer for what I couldn't get in and tow it one way. It was tight, but I got everything in my van. Of course, now I couldn't camp in it. I was nervous about staying in motels but I was prepared, a can of Lysol, disinfectant wipes, and hand sanitizer was ready to go. When I checked into a motel I would Lysol everything, then wipe anything I might touch with a disinfectant wipe, I went overboard but I felt better doing it.

Day 1 - I made it to Bozeman, MT
    I only took a few photos but it was a cloudy day and everything was gray and unattractive. This is the best of what caught my eye that day. With people not traveling gas prices had really dropped.
    [​IMG]

Day 2 - To Bismark, ND
    To me this represents the solitude of ND.
    [​IMG]

Day 3 - To Rothschild WI
    I didn't stop much but I did stop once to stretch my legs and found this.
    [​IMG]

Day 4 - I spent with my sisters, sort of. It was Robin's birthday so Fawn and I decided to have cake and coffee for her in a park. It was sort of a bust since Robin is so terrified of Covid she didn't want to come but did then stood about 8' from us visibly uncomfortable. I wanted her birthday to be nice but trying to get together with her made her miserable. I did get to spend a little time with my other sister and did get a hug from her. The sister I brought the things to is the one terrified of Covid and she didn't even let me in her Apt. when I took her things to her. I unloaded it outside her door, she sanitized the things then moved them inside. It breaks my heart that she is so terrified. :cry

Day 5 - Lincoln, NE
    Even though I was driving my van I tried to find secondary or interesting roads. Sometimes a gas stop can be interesting if you look hard enough.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 6 - Idaho Springs, CO
    My route took me through Denver and I was pleased that traffic was light going through town but on the west edge it got horrible, people were trying to escape Denver (it was Fri). As soon as I spotted a Motel in Idaho Springs, CO I stopped for the night. I was pleased to see what a nice town it is. My windshield needed to be washed desperately, this was so awful.
    [​IMG]

Day 7 - To Ogden, UT with a stop in Grand Junction, CO to pick up a motorcycle.
    It was a quick stop and I didn't even get a shot of the MC when I loaded it into the back of my van and moved on. This is what caught my eye on this day.
    [​IMG]

Day 7 - To Missoula, MT
    I was hoping to see friends in Missoula but they weren't seeing people because of Covid-19 one of them has a compromised immune system so I certainly understood. It was storming hard so I decided rather than to drive in the storm to get a room. On my way to Missoula I stopped at a rest area that was on the old Montana Hwy. It has a spectacular view and I enjoyed the stop.
    [​IMG]

Day 8 - Home
    New to me bike unloaded. An '88 Yamaha TW200. I was excited about a few things with this bike. It has the big tank and it has both an electric and kick start. While the bike is older it is in good shape, starts easily and purrs. It has a taller Seat Concepts seat on it. That seat is going to @TheAdmiral and he has provided me with another seat that is being cut down and a gel pad added for me. The Seat Concept seat is nice and I didn't like the idea of having it cut down and prefer to have it go to someone that can use it.

My latest new bike.
    [​IMG]

I ordered and received handguards, side guards so I can add side bags, mirrors, blinkers, and the seat should be done soon. There is already an LED headlight on it.

During this trip, I spent most of the time driving. After not going out much since March I was feeling terribly housebound and just driving felt like I had escaped. It was like I had been in prison in my own home. Covid-19 hadn't affected my physical health but it was affecting my mental health. The little bit of time I spent with friends during those months felt like a huge drink of water after being deprived of water in the desert.

At this point, I decided I would still be careful but not overly careful and start going out and being with friends again. Living alone and living within the stay at home order is a new type of hell I have never been through before. I have never had a problem living alone but this isolation was horrible for me.

The good news was that I had been contacted by the Grant Co. Fairgrounds in John Day, OR and our Beater Bonanza Campout was approved and a was a go. That's up next. :clap
    black 8, BHlvr, N-Id-Jim and 4 others like this.
  16. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hope you like the TW for what you need it for. Mrs. Admiral and I did some more riding the past few days up (for me) in the Palouse Divide River trails. The first couple of days we had the youngest grandson so she rode the ATV with G-kid on the back. Then we took to the trails on the TW's. She's still not totally recovered from her knee surgery from a spring 2019 Moab crash but she did tackle a couple of rougher ATV trails.
    Hope your other adventure ride injuries are healing well. Thinking of you, here's a picture we took on a break this past week.
    IMG_3077.JPG
    Ladybug likes this.
  17. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Thanks for thinking of me. Cool looking ladybug you found. I hope Mrs. Admiral's knee heals soon.
  18. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    6/23/20 Izee, OR

On 6/22/20 LC Garage, Little Red, Teeny and I went to John Day, OR and scouted out a route for the Beater Bike Bonanza poker run the following Saturday. We also came up with an easy ride for any nOObs that might want to ride on Friday. After the "chores" were done we had lunch, they went home and I stayed at the campground at the Fairgrounds. My plan was to do some riding in the area to see what I could find. This was the route I took.

[​IMG]

With this year being so different with things being canceled I was doing things differently as well. Generally, I plan routes and load them into my GPS to follow when I go out riding. I don't always stick with them but I have an idea of where I want to go. This time I didn't, I just started riding. I'd stopped making plans so I wouldn't be disappointed when they got cancelled.

I decided for this day I would start heading west and see what I could find in the way of roads off the hwy. I didn't do very well at finding roads and ended up riding Hwy 26 to Dayville, OR for lunch.

Saw this along the hwy so I stopped to snap a shot. There were no trespassing signs so I couldn't get very close but I sure would have liked to.
    [​IMG]

The big ice cream cone drew me in. At first I thought it was just a coffee shop type of place but they served sandwiches too. I hadn't eaten yet so a sandwich and coffee was in order. Unfortunatly I was way to full and wasn't able to enjoy ice cream too. The lady that runs the place is a jewel and I really enjoyed talking with her. She made everyone that walked in feel like a friend.
    [​IMG]

As I was leaving town not knowing where I was going next I saw a sign for S Fork Rd/CR42 and Izee. That sounded intriqing so I turned and followed the road.
    [​IMG]

Yep, this was a good decision. I had no idea where I would end up but I didn't care.
    [​IMG]

This sign made me laugh and I had to turn around so I could get a good pic of it. I'm easily entertained.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I only saw one or two other vehicles out here, it was so nice.
    [​IMG]

Finding a road sign is always a good sign when I don't know what I'm doing. I didn't know there was really a town by the name of Izee but I guess there is something more than a ghost town. At least that's how my thought process works when I see nice newer good sign pointing to a town.
    [​IMG]

Headed for a canyon.
    [​IMG]

Slight right curve and downhill.
    [​IMG]

Left curve
    [​IMG]

Oooooooo flowers on one side and water on the other. I was really enjoying this road.
    [​IMG]

I stopped to check out the trailhead and take a little stroll.
    [​IMG]

This is all I found in the way of a trail.
    [​IMG]

I enjoyed the views in the canyon.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had to get another shot of the Superbug :pynd It's at home in areas like this.
    [​IMG]

I was looking forward to seeing the goats. I hadn't been in open goat range before but there were no goats to be seen. Darn.
    [​IMG]

It looks like this is Izee.
    [​IMG]

And I'm guessing this is the reason there are still signs pointing to Izee.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I decided to go to Seneca to see what was there. I spotted this down a dirt road so I rode toward it. The road looped back around and into Seneca.
    [​IMG]

While in Seneca I rode around but didn't find anything photo worthy so I head back toward John Day on Hwy 395. There was a campground along the why so I stopped for a break and snapped another pic of the Superbug:pynd I sure enjoy this bike.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Canyon City, OR
    [​IMG]

Back at the camp it was hot.
    [​IMG]

It was a nice 148 mile ride.
    [​IMG]
    B10Dave, BHlvr and N-Id-Jim like this.
  19. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    6/24/20 Looking for Ghosttowns

This was another day where I didn't have routes planned but LC Garage and Little Red had mentioned a couple of names of ghosttowns in the area so I would just let my GPS take me to them.
    [​IMG]

But first I wanted to see if the Prairie City Railroad Museum was open.
    [​IMG]

I wasn't surprised that it was closed due to Covid. Not surprised, but disappointed.
    [​IMG]

LC Garage had also mentioned a motorcycle surrounded by flowers on the main street so I went to look for it and found it here along with motorcycles surrounded by pavement.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then it was time for coffee and food so I went here.
    [​IMG]

I chatted with the couple riding the other bikes in front of the Diner and they were from the east coast headed to the Pacific ocean to see it. They were very nice.

The Journey Through Time signs are cool so I stopped for a pic.
    [​IMG]

My GPS sent me up this road and it looked good to me.
    [​IMG]

This was even better.
    [​IMG]

Spots of flowers all over.
    [​IMG]

I found a sign for Greenhorn, it looks like I was going the right way.
    [​IMG]

Welcoming committee.
    [​IMG]

There are street signs in Greenhorn.
    [​IMG]

I guess Greenhorn isn't a ghosttown.
    [​IMG]

This is the most modern looking thing I found. With roads marked for snowmobiling it looks like this area is a popular snowmobiling playground.
    [​IMG]

This rest stop has seen better days.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

That sign will keep me out.
    [​IMG]

There were other buildings in Greenhorn and most look they are used as summer and/or snowmobiling cabins. It didn't look like there was anyone around but it wasn't the type of place that I should be poking around in since it's not really a ghosttown and buildings probably aren't abandoned.

Moving on and I was back on Hwy 7. I've seen this before but have never stopped and I wasn't stopping this time either.
    [​IMG]

Going into Sumpter, I was looking for a cup of coffee.
    [​IMG]

Someday I want to stay at this motel.
    [​IMG]

The cafe closed so I moved on my way.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is occupied and it looks like it's being used for living it. I wonder what the inside is like and if one day it will be opened as a business again.
    [​IMG]

Headed toward Bourne. I'm guessing this had something to do with mining or just what's left of a building that is flooded. I don't know.
    [​IMG]

Very blurry sign but you can see what it says.
    [​IMG]

This is Bourne. The road is steeper than it looks and there were a few rough rocky spots.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This place doesn't look very welcoming to me.
    [​IMG]

Another blurry shot. I didn't stop to take pics here, I did them on the fly while I was trying to keep the bike upright.
    [​IMG]

I didn't see anyone around and no vehicles but I'm sure the houses are occupied. I suspect everyone was out working one of the mining claims.
    [​IMG]

After getting out of Bourne I stopped on the bridge to get a pic of the creek
    [​IMG]

I saw these two signs.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I went a bit further to where two roads intersected. I stopped and got off the bike but didn't get very far from it. Someone came by in a pickup and drove by slowly, turned around and drove by slowly again. I suppose they are suspicious of strangers in the area.

There is an RV parked around that curve behind the bushes.
    [​IMG]

Dredge pilings.
    [​IMG]

This is the dredge in Sumpter. It's open for tours and is interesting even though it is no longer operating.
    [​IMG]

Train station. There are short train rides for tourists but not much is operating this year.
    [​IMG]

There's that motel again.
    [​IMG]

I programmed the GPS to take me to John Day by the shortest route. Sometimes doing this is very fun.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Motorcycle/ATV/Snowmobile trail. It's been noted to return with my XR100 and do some mountain riding.
    [​IMG]

I was tempted to take this one but decided I probably shouldn't since I was alone.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time to move on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What's better than the Superbug:pynd surrounded by flowers?
    [​IMG]

Back to the pavement and too soon. :(:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's that ghosttown again, the one I didn't stop at before. This time I'm going to check it out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A couple of places look like they could be occupied.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back to the pavement again and making my way to camp.
    [​IMG]

Yep, it's snowmobile country.
    [​IMG]

Not bad motorcycling either.
    [​IMG]

I thought I was going to stop at Austin Jct. for ice cream but again a place that wasn't open.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back at camp and at least, it wasn't as hot as the day before.
    [​IMG]

A nice 139 mile ride.
    [​IMG]
    black 8, NSFW, dammitdave and 4 others like this.
  20. Metalcarver

Metalcarver Geezer Berserker Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk
    Ladybug likes this.