Riding, Geocaching and Exploring . . . .

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Ladybug, Jun 9, 2013.

1. BHlvr

BHlvr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice to see you updating your thread. So sorry to read about your mishap and hope you heal quickly! Meanwhile, thanks for creating content and updating your travel stories.
    Ladybug likes this.
  2. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    6-26-20 nOOb ride and people showing up.

6-25-20 was a kick back and enjoy life day for me. People were starting to show up so I stayed in camp for the most part to welcome them.

PNW Buttercup showed up ready to help with anything I needed help with. She's always so good about volunteering when I'm hosting an event.
    [​IMG]

Friday we had a nOOb ride planned, short and easy. We want to encourage newer/beginner riders to show up and have fun too. We knew this year we wouldn't have many but it good to start small.

The nOOb ride was open to non-nOObs as long as they wanted to follow along and ride the same pace.

A short stop to discuss how one of the bikes wasn't running well. I'm in this pic so I think PNW Buttercup took this shot.
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately, I didn't get any shots of the ride other than this one.
    [​IMG]

Photo fail on my part for the nOOb ride.

People and beaters started showing up in camp.
    [​IMG]

Perfect for a Beater campout.
    [​IMG]

A few people decided they wanted to float down the river the camp is next to. Jungleman and Jungleman Dad went to Les Schwabs and got tubes.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Captain Attila and Captain Attila Wife ride this are always ready to help every year. They took care of the checkpoint out on the Beater Poker Run on Saturday.
    [​IMG]

There was fun to be had on the river.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kootenai Rider did a tire changing demo.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Going on an evening ride.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    I'll give you this pic. of the bikes lined up for the Beater poker run.
    [​IMG]

Then for the rest please go here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/triple-b-and-noobs-too-6-25-20-thru-6-28-20.1413233/page-14
    This way you will be able to see the pics other people took and other people's explanations of the event.

I would like to encourage any of you that can to come to next years Beater Bike Bonanza. It's a lot of fun. It's not for everyone but if you have an appreciation of older bikes and people that can McGyver things to make them run it's a fun place to be. You don't need a beater to attend we like non-beaters too.
  4. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    6/30/20 my backyard.

I had taken the Superbug:pynd and my XR100 to the Beater Bike Bonanza. I planned to go to Baker City after the BBB and spend Mon. riding virtual flats on my XR100 but the weather wasn't looking good and we were all tired so I gave up on that idea. I did go to LC Garage's house and pick up the minibike to take it home.
    [​IMG]

LC Garage said to make sure Rainbow007 tried out the mini so she would know what she has in store next year as she will be riding in the race with us. This year work got in the way of her attending these events.

Here she is testing the mini. She did take it easy since she wasn't wearing a helmet.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up will be what was done with my motorcycle trailer and ramp. It's so cool and now I can load and unload it by myself. :wings
    klaviator and B10Dave like this.
  5. Metalcarver

Metalcarver Geezer Berserker Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can't wait until Ladybug gets to the part where there was this geezer chasing them all over the mountain.

Eat yer collective hearts out boys.
    Ladybug likes this.
  6. Ladybug

Oddometer:
  7. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Keeps getting better and better. Thanks. Enjoying all your trips and events.
    Ladybug likes this.
  8. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Thanks B10Dave.
  9. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Fourth of July weekend 2020 and getting my motorcycle trailer updated.

Loading and unloading motorcycles alone has been a challenge for me. I did have one I could load and unload as it had a tailgate ramp but it was too heavy to tow behind my van. I traded it for a 3 rail motorcycle trailer. I can move it around the yard so much easier by hand and my van won't die trying to tow it.

I have a difficult time with loading and unloading things into my van too. I have am ATV trailer but I couldn't safely walk up or down it.

Loading my trailer last fall with the Superbug:pynd and the XR100 while I was getting them tied down I bumped one of the straps and both bikes went over. The 100 got tangled up and it took me a bit to get the mess undone. Not being able to put a side stand down once the bikes were on the trailer was a problem for me and not being able to walk up the ramp or on the trailer didn't work for me either.

This spring as I was unloading the XR100 from the back of my van with a single ramp I got off center, the ramp tipped, and the bike fell on me and straddled the ramp. Luckily the XR100 is light, it didn't hurt me and I was unable to get it unstraddled.

At that point, I decided I needed a solution. In June I was chatting with Loud Al and telling him I wanted to do something to fix the issue I was having. We discussed a few different options and decided expanded metal would be the fix. He invited me to drive down to the Portland area for the long weekend and "we" would update my trailer and ramp.

First things first we went to ACE for expanded mental. They had just what we needed for the trailer and lighter sheets for the ramp. Having Allan with me helped since I wouldn't have known what to buy. I had an idea but . . .

The trailer had a metal ramp that fit under that bracket. It was short so it was steep and I wasn't going to use it. Here Allan is cutting off the bracket so he could install the expanded metal.
    [​IMG]

The center rail is up further than the other two so handlebars don't knock and that meant at the back it was up further as well. We needed all the rails to end at the same point so the ATV ramp would work with it. A piece of the ramp became the extension to even out the rails at the back. Here's the trailer with the expanded metal attached and painted (that was my job). I really should have washed it before taking it down there.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next it was adding expanded metal to the ATV ramp. Nuts and bolts were used to fasten it.
    [​IMG]

Oh yes this is going to make my life a lot easier. I can walk up the ramp, onto the trailer and I'll be able to put a kickstand down except for the one rail.
    [​IMG]

Common with these type of trailers, the lights weren't working so Allan was going to change them out to LED and re-wire the trailer if needed. As we were looking at the wires we found a couple that were bare. They were routed through a tube with burrs where it was cut. Allan fixed the wires and unburred the tube. LED lights replace the stock lights and the lighting was checked. No lights! Yikes....

Allan checked the trailer and the lights should work so he checked the van connection and discovered it had an issue.
    [​IMG]

Allan had wired it when he installed the hitch for me and followed the directions as to how to wire it. He was apprehensive at the time because the wires went under the van but since that was how the directions said to do it that's what he did. With the low clearance height and me not staying on the pavement, I'm sure I probably caught the wire on something and it broke it loose from the connection in the engine compartment. He rewired it through the inside of the van and it didn't take him any time at all to do it. He is so amazing.
    [​IMG]

The lights then worked. Wahoooooo!

Then a spare tire holder was added and we needed to figure out how to tie the ramp on the trailer. Allan welded four large eye bolts to the trailer to tie the ramp to.

My van parked next to his always makes me laugh so I grabbed a picture of the two of them.
    [​IMG]

It took two days to do this project because there was no big hurry to get it done rapidly. I enjoyed watching the process and seeing how things are done. Allan is patient with me asking questions so that makes it even nicer.

When I brought the trailer and ramp home I still needed to do some sanding to get rid of a little bit of rust, paint those spots and do a second coat of paint on the trailer and ramp. This is at home before I cleaned it up and painted it. I didn't get an after shot. This is how the ramp is hauled. It fits perfect between rails. One tie strap holds it tight.
    [​IMG]

I get excited about odd things and this was exciting for me. I've been like a kid on Christmas morning with this. I've shown it off to anyone that would look at it.

Up next me changing oil in my F650. . .
  10. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    7/10/20 F650GS Oil Change, the girly way.

I have changed the oil in this bike a few times, by myself, but I'm still learning the best way to do it. My mechanical abilities are lacking but I'm trying to learn to at least do the basics.

Warming up the bike.
    [​IMG]

The TW200 had to be kicked out of the garage so I would have enough room to move around. I have an old house and an old garage but they work for me. There is a little ditch at the door of the garage so I use a piece of board to get the bikes in and out or I get my tires "stuck" in that little ditch and it makes it more work for me. :knary
    [​IMG]

I put the bike up on the jack, got started, and discovered the base was in the wrong spot and had to start over.
    [​IMG]

The engine guards are in the way of getting the skid plate off so I moved it forward and dealt with it. I thought the skid plate had a hold for the oil drain but it doesn't and I'm now wondering how I got it off before. I was able to get the socket in to remove the oil plug and two funnels got the oil into the drain pan.
    [​IMG]

Not that much oil is removed from that spot, BMW doesn't want to make things easy :umph. The oil tank is where normally a gas tank would be. The panel the blinker is on needs to be undone, and a side panel moved, and finally, there's the oil tank.
    [​IMG]

There are a few different ways to deal with draining the oil: The tank can be released and tipped over to drain the oil. I didn't want to remove it since I'm afraid it wouldn't go back on easily. Or a pump can be used to pump the oil out. This is the most common way to deal with it. I have tried two different types of inexpensive pumps and the results were less than successful. The third is a screw at the lower part of the tank that lets out the oil but it's messy and a little bit stays in the tank. I opted for messy.

I put a funnel under the screw.
    [​IMG]

Then made another funnel type of thing with a foil baking pan, that would funnel the oil into the drain pan. It was held in place by a bungie cord.
    [​IMG]

The drain pan was a little low so I propped it up on a couple of quarts of oil. This turned out to be the messy part. :lol3
    [​IMG]

I wasn't paying attention and stumped over the drain pan and knocked it off its pedestal, spilling oil. At least I grabbed it quickly before too much was on the floor.
    [​IMG]

Next time I will perfect the process a bit so it's easier, I hope.

As long as it was up on the jack I cleaned and lubed the chain. I sure was giving the bike a dirty look.
    [​IMG]

With the oil changed and the chain is taken care of, it was ready to go on a ride with some of the local ADVers the next day.

I took this pic. that day too. This is what I will be riding 100 miles this month for a cancer benefit ride. I'm getting a later start than I planned since I injured my leg, but come hell or high water I'm going to get my miles in. :clap
    [​IMG]

If anyone wants to donate tomorrow, 9/9/20, the donations will be doubled. I can't remember what company is sponsoring doubling the donations but it's very generous. At this point, I don't have any miles done but Friday I'm going to see if I can at least get in a few miles.

Here's my page if you want to follow my progress: https://greatcyclechallenge.com/Riders/SherryCook

Next up is a ride on the bike I changed the oil on. :ricky
  11. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm IN ! I hit your donation site... now go pedal ur ass off ! :rofl
    Ladybug likes this.
  12. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    7/11/20 Sullivan Lake Loop.

With my 2007 BMW F650GS (single) having nice fresh oil in it a ride was in order, of course.

The local ADVers would meet in Priest River, ID and head north.
    [​IMG]

The early start was a bit chilly but I had on my heated jacket liner and grips so I was nice and comfy. Riding out of Spokane Valley on Bruce Rd. north takes me through this area. Fields, usually wheat, with Mt. Spokane in the distance. Each year I enjoy watching the fields change as they go from freshly turned, planted, growing, and finally harvested. I ride this road anywhere from monthly to three times a month. Often enough to see the changes but not so often that it looks the same on each ride.
    [​IMG]

In Newport, WA this always catches my attention. I haven't stopped at this shop but I might one of these days just to check it out.
    [​IMG]

Non-Ethanol gas was easy to find to fill my bike. I'm using Non-Ethanol when I can find it now since at times my bikes will sit for a while and I learned my lesson on using Ethanol and letting a bike sit too long.
    [​IMG]

This is where the meetup site is but I chose to show up early and go to the restaurant next door for a real breakfast. I was afraid the Infinity Cafe was coffee and pastries only.
    [​IMG]

With Covid the Restaurant only had one person working and things were super slow. It took a long time to get my coffee so I decided I better not get a real breakfast and opted for a roll instead. It still took too long to get. I worked on being patient since the guy working was doing his best.
    [​IMG]

With a less than satisfying breakfast eaten I went next door to join the rest of the group. Everyone that said they would be there, showed up and we were off.
    [​IMG]

Before we left the speed of the ride was discussed. The guys would ride at a spirited pace while @PNW Buttercup and I wanted to take time to enjoy the flowers. Once we were moving up the Hwy everyone fell into the groups they wanted to ride with at a pace that was good for them. I like it when people go with what they enjoy, ride their own ride, and this group is good at that.

This bar, The Falls, belongs to my cousin. It's been there for as many years as I can remember. There is a falls there and the bar is built over it. The best part of the bar is the pizza, it's great. She has the bar for sale so she can retire. I need to get up there and have another pizza before it sells. The little cabin behind it used to be a forest service office that was located across the hwy and down a bit. It was purchase and moved to this location. My cousin's daughter makes and sells wonderful soaps from there.
    [​IMG]

Further north toward Nordman there is this lumber mill from the days when lumber was a major industry in this area.
    [​IMG]

There aren't many of the beehive burners left and I don't think there are any in operation due to air pollution concerns.
    [​IMG]

Big tire used for advertising. It caught my attention.
    [​IMG]

A stop to group up, get fuel if needed, and anything that might be wanted in the store.
    [​IMG]

Riding again.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We caught up with the guys.
    [​IMG]

Soon we'll be on dirt.
    [​IMG]

There's the dirt.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A stop at Granite Falls.
    [​IMG]

Oh yeah, there are some big trees here too.
    [​IMG]

So far I haven't done the trail but one of these days I'll do it. Now that I'm retired I have time.
    [​IMG]

The water is so clear.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The water comes down the slab of granite and makes a turn and flows on. To me, it seems like the falls come down sideways. I like it here.
    [​IMG]

Stopped to look at a pond.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So much beauty here.
    [​IMG]

And flowers
    [​IMG]

I like Indian Paintbrushes.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The guys were waiting for us at the top of the pass.
    [​IMG]

They were trying to identify the mountains.
    [​IMG]

I was chasing flowers.
    [​IMG]

We were moving again and riding a flower-lined road.
    [​IMG]

PNW Buttercup found something to check out.
    [​IMG]

Makes me wonder what happened here.
    [​IMG]

We made it to Sullivan Lake but the area was very crowded and we just went on by. We're crossing the Pend Oreille River here - just beyond Metaline Falls, WA.
    [​IMG]

Then we get to Metaline.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We were looking for somewhere to eat but wasn't able to find anything to Metaline so we returned to Metaline Falls. We had lunch then rode through town.
    [​IMG]

They do plays here. Someday I want to go see a performance.
    [​IMG]

Glamour shot along the river.
    [​IMG]

After lunch, the guys head toward home. Meanwhile, PNW Buttercup and I went looking for ice cream. We scored in Usk at a coffee shack. We were surprised they had ice cream. We had decided to go there for an iced coffee or whatever they might have that was cold. There is a grassy area with a couple of picnic tables next door so we went there and sat under a fluffy shade tree to enjoy our treat.
    [​IMG]

Next up, a bit of the IDBDR with PNW Buttercup . . .
  13. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I'll work on it. :raabia
  14. BadgerND

BadgerND Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been reading your RR the last couple of days. Only about 50 pages to go. I love how you Geocache along the way and take lots of pics. I've been to a lot of the same places, but usually on 4 wheels; my wife doesn't ride. I recently got her started geocaching though, and she is doing it 2 or 3 days a week. We did find 9 today, dnf 3. We ate in that cafe in 70 Mile House and met a couple ADV riders from Oklahoma and Texas in 2006. We spent the night in Iskut one night after seeing 26 bears in 26 miles. We were glad to find a place to sleep inside. We were in Idaho when Mt. St. Helens blew its top, and I remember Rajneesh as well.
  15. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    @BadgerND thanks for joining in on this report. It goes all over the place since that's what I do. It's very cool that you have been to a lot of the same places. 26 bear in 26 miles sounds like it's a good time to motel it.

I hope your wife continues to enjoy geocaching. I have fun with it but don't do very well in finding them. I like the places they take me then I get distracted and don't look for them very hard. The prize is where I end up go after a cache.
    B10Dave likes this.
  16. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    7/13/20 - 7/15/20 8 Lakes Leg Aches (Bicycle)

Before I start the portion about IDBDR I'm going to give you a few pics of the first bicycle ride I did after over 20 of not bicycling. With now having the time I decided to start riding my bicycle again to help get in better shape and it helps for motorcycle riding.

Day 1
    A friend of mine and I signed up committing to 30 miles. We decided we would do 10 miles a day for 3 days on the paved easy riding Centennial Trail.
    [​IMG]

Rainbow007 rode from Post Falls to meet us along the way. We had unloaded 10 miles from Post Falls so we rode to Post Falls with Rainbow had pizza then she took us and our bicycles back to my van. It was a fun way to do it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 2
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the bike sitting in the basement for 20+ years the gears weren't shifting. I was lucky, it was in a medium type gear so I was riding with just the one gear. This is the last little stretch of the days 10 miles and the 30 total miles. I almost made it to the top of this little hill but did have to walk about the last 20 feet.
    [​IMG]

This was fun and this was the stuff in the swag bag I got for doing the ride.
    [​IMG]

I'm working on being well rounded in more ways than just my shape.
    PNW Buttercup, N-Id-Jim and B10Dave like this.
  17. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    L.B. great to see you learning and doing your own maintenance but I have a question. Why did you change the oil and not change the filter?
  18. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    7/17/20 thru 7/19/20 a Bit of IDBDR

Two years ago @PNW Buttercup did the IDBDR up to section 6 (Lolo Motorway). She wanted to complete it to the Canadian border. I did the majority of the IDBDR back in 2008 before it was designated the BDR. I didn't do parts of the sections PNW Buttercup still wanted to do so that's what we headed out to do. Sections 6, 7, & 7 were in our sites and we determined 4 days was plenty of time to get it done.

Spoiler alert: I was wrong and we have more riding to do to complete the IDBDR. :lol3

7/17/20 Day 1 to Pierce, ID.
    [​IMG]

We had decided to take the scenic route to Pierce where we would state section 6 of the IDBDR.

This is a ride for the Superbug:pynd and we met PNW Buttercup at the Chester Gas Station.
    [​IMG]

Before we left the gas station we decided we needed coffee first we wanted to get in a few miles so we decided to stop in Freeman for coffee. A whopping 10 miles. :lol3 Girls have to have their coffee.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The goal was to have fun, stop when we wanted to stop, and not get too worried about daily miles. Taking things nice and easy we rode N. on SR95.
    [​IMG]

I haven't seen those flags before and I don't know what is on this hill. Things that make me say "hmmmmmmmmmm".
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This Steam Donkey is at the edge of a park as you ride into St. Maries.
    [​IMG]

And there's the great big lumberjack to greet us.
    [​IMG]

Of course we rode through Santa.
    [​IMG]

Santa's Post Office. You'd think Santa would have a bigger and more festive Post Office. I guess as people stop believing even Santa down sizes.
    [​IMG]

I like this old Railroad Station so we stopped.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A bucket of bolts.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Playing peek a boo with the Superbug :pynd.
    [​IMG]

Moving on - That's the Fossil Bowl race track over there on the right.
    [​IMG]

I don't know what's going on but something is. The bare spots on the hill there is part of the motorcycle track outside of Clarkia, ID.
    [​IMG]

Bovill, ID
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We're going to the falls.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We got the bikes parked and started the hike to the falls but first, we found this.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tree toes, but it needs a pedicure and some nice pretty bright toenail polish.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are the falls. It was pretty but I'm not sure it was worth the hike in riding boots. I just told myself it was good exercise.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Headed for Elk River, ID.
    [​IMG]

I'm going to end this here for now but I will be back in a bit with more.
  19. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    You caught me....Actually I did change the filter, that was the easiest part. I didn't get a picture and forgot to mention it. :D
    Oldschoolrocker and B10Dave like this.
  20. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    On the 2007 F650GS that I owned for 6 years and just sold I shortened the tinwork under the crankcase drain plug so I could get at it without removing anything else. Also let the oil drain straight down into the drain pan. It really doesn't protect anything anyway. Now...back to your pics and narrative.....And thanks for doing them...:-)
    Ladybug likes this.