Riding, Geocaching and Exploring . . . .

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Ladybug, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice read LB. Something we all need with all thats going on right now across the PNW. Thank you!!
    LC1 and Ladybug like this.
  2. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Finishing up 7/17/20 Day 1 to Pierce, ID.

From the falls we headed back to Elk River, ID for lunch.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This will work.
    [​IMG]

Yum
    [​IMG]

From Elk River we headed toward Dent Bridge. This is just on the edge of Elk River.
    [​IMG]

Dworshak Reservoir.
    [​IMG]

I like the Dent Bridge and PNW Buttercup had never been there.
    [​IMG]

@PNW Buttercup rides across the bridge.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then I rode across.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We stopped at a viewpoint to take in the view.
    [​IMG]

Wanted a pic of the Superbug:pynd here too.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's fun showing PNW Buttercup things she hasn't seen yet. The Dworshak Dam was on the list of things to see.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We headed up to the visitors center to find it closed and a gate across the road to it. We only got to see this view.
    [​IMG]

We went into Orofino, ID for gas then headed for Pierce to find a place to camp.
    [​IMG]

We found the Prospectors RV Park but it had a No Vacancy sign at the entrance. I was going to move along but PNW Buttercup suggested we go ask if they had room for a couple of tents. That worked out well for us. It turned out the park is used during the week by people working and they are gone on the weekends. There were RVs there but no one around and there was a couple of vacant spots available for the night. The lady managing it was super nice and helpful. She suggested we go to Miss Lily's for dinner.

There wasn't inside seating but there was outside seating so we ordered dinner which was brought to our outside table. While we were waiting for dinner I spotted @Idarider ride in on his ATV. I got his attention and we visited for a bit.
    [​IMG]

After dinner, we rode back to our camp. There were a lot of mosquitoes so we dove into our tents and called it a night. We rode about 200 very pleasant miles.
    popscycle, klaviator, black 8 and 6 others like this.
  3. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    awesome update LB. lots of nice places and glad to see them from your pictures.

thanks.
    Shady Pass David and Ladybug like this.
  4. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have never noticed the RR Depot building in Fernwood before. I should pay more attention but usually just passing through with the camper/TW's. I've don't remember a brick building like that in Clarkia before. There is one similar in Bovill. Couple of years ago we rode the old RR Bed east of Bovill back into Bovill. It was kind of cool to come riding into Bovill on the old RR bed. Last week/weekend we camped and rode just east of Harvard in the Laird Park side. We did take one day and rode the TW's to Orofino and back on pavement. It was hot down in the river valley.
    Shady Pass David and B10Dave like this.
  5. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    If you come to the PNW next summer and would like some routes and things to see suggestions send me a message when you are in your planning stages and I will give you plenty of suggestions.

The depot I found years ago because there was a geocache there but the cache is no longer. The depot is just off the main road on the south end of town on a little dirt road at the bottom of a short hill.

You're correct that building is in Bovill, thanks for the catch, I updated it.

Laird Park is a terrific place to ride. I used to ride there often but haven't been there for off road riding in years.
    NSFW, B10Dave and TheAdmiral like this.
  6. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    7/18/20 Day 2 to Avery, ID via IDBDR

This is what this ride is about and we are starting section 6.
    [​IMG]

Not a bad place to wake up.
    [​IMG]

On the way out of camp, I snapped a shot of the sign. I would stay here again.
    [​IMG]

We rode to the welcome sign for a photo op.
    [​IMG]

I think I was looking for flowers.
    [​IMG]

We went here for breakfast and learned why the campground manager had recommended Miss Lilly's. I was hoping it was just a bad day for the guy running the place but I have seen others say how grouchy he is and yelp reviews are the same. It's a shame he is so unhappy. It's for sale and I hope he can get it sold and have a happier life.
    [​IMG]

It wasn't busy when we got there but then people kept coming in. A few people were trying to help him and that made things worse. He didn't want any help. Yikes.... There are some interesting things in the building though.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It took a long time to get breakfast but while we waited we were able to chat with these two guys, also doing the IDBDR. They didn't wait to have breakfast because it was too slow but we ended up leaving town at the same time they did.
    [​IMG]

I snapped a few shots of them while we were on the pavement.
    [​IMG]

When we got to the dirt they were off and we didn't see them again.
    [​IMG]

We stopped to check the view.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Taking time to enjoy the flowers.
    [​IMG]

Time to ride again.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It took me a couple of wrong turns to find the road to Grandad bridge.

The route was well marked at the start but not as much when we got closer to the bridge.
    [​IMG]

The views were breathtaking. The pics don't come close to doing it justice.
    [​IMG]

I spotted the pickup towing the trailer coming up the road and was starting to be concerned about where we might meet them. Apparently they spotted us since they found a wide spot and stopped to wait.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We knew we were close to Grandad Bridge.
    [​IMG]

That was the wrong road.
    [​IMG]

There was a boat launch at the end of it.
    [​IMG]

But it was pretty.
    [​IMG]

We found the Grandad Bridge. I had heard a lot about it and this was my first time to ride to it. I wasn't as impressed as others seem to be since it's just a bridge with no personality. I like the Dent Bridge a lot better.
    [​IMG]

I guess part of the appeal of this bridge is there is very little traffic and it's accessed by dirt.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course, the views are nice and I always appreciate a nice view.
    [​IMG]

Coming off the bridge.
    [​IMG]
  7. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not riding the IDBDR per se', we rode to the bridge a couple of years ago on a big loop out of Elk River. The bridge didn't impress us as much as the name. We were expecting an old cool looking bridge not a modern-day freeway type bridge. While we were there some BDR'ers rode through. Barely got a wave from them. Good times.

Gosh, this ride to Grandad bridge was further back in time than I thought-2017.

Ok, possible not all of them even gave us much notice let alone a wave. We TW riders are used to being looked down on...and then we laugh about it!
    IDBCDR3.JPG
    B10Dave likes this.
  8. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Continuing 7/18/20 Day 2 to Avery, ID via IDBDR

I'm always amazed by the views out in the mountains.
    [​IMG]

Anymore a bald hillside like this one I don't know if it was a clear cut or if it was a forest fire that was cleaned up and now recovering.
    [​IMG]

I love the clean waters of the PNW. Traveling in other parts of the United States and in Baja has made me really appreciate our clean water.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one of the wrong turns I made on the ride. It was a good road and fun ride so we just enjoyed it.
    [​IMG]

We finally got headed the right way. @PNW Buttercup spotted the road that I didn't.
    [​IMG]

This road was a rock garden but I didn't get pics of the rough spots since I was hanging on and didn't want to stop in them.
    [​IMG]

Enjoying a flower while I waited for PNW Buttercup. We would get spread out as she would stop to take pics here and there which is awesome.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I saw the Blue Heaven Cabin but missed the turn. PNW Buttercup went up and got a pic. of it but I didn't.
    [​IMG]

The road was changing a little with water on it but we weren't in rock gardens any longer.
    [​IMG]

I found this guy and we stopped to help. He's Chuck the Ripper here on ADV and is from Illinois.
    [​IMG]

He had grabbed the wrong line going through the puddle and ended up in the ditch. He was working on it and would have gotten himself out but with a little help he got it out much quicker and easier.
    [​IMG]

He said when he gets home and tells the guys about the two women helping him out of his mess he was going to get ribbed. :lol3
    [​IMG]

He was very nice and has a good sense of humor.
    [​IMG]

And we were on our way again.
    [​IMG]

Things got a lot easier.
    [​IMG]

Took a couple of shots of the Superbug:pynd while I waited for PNW Buttercup. I never had to wait long, often it was just a matter of distance between us due to the dust screen.
    [​IMG]

There she is.
    [​IMG]

More clean water.
    [​IMG]

I like wooden bridges too.
    [​IMG]

And tunnels.
    [​IMG]

Fishook Rd.
    [​IMG]

Seeing my shadow means it's getting later than we wanted to be still riding but we were about to Avery, ID.
    [​IMG]

We wanted to eat dinner before we left Avery to find camp. We stopped here to discover they were out of food but they had beer. :eekers Luckily we both had food in our bikes just in case.
    [​IMG]

As we talked with the bartender we found out they had been super busy. Avery is usually a sleepy little town. He said he wasn't sure about the camping status up the St. Joe river but figured we would be able to find dispersed camping along the lower road to Moon Pass. There are 4 or 5 Forest Service campground up the St. Joe in a fairly short distance. I had never seen them all full so I made the decision that we should go that way. Wrong decision.

The gas station in Avery was closed, for the night, when we got there and we were getting low on fuel but we had enough for a few more miles. We found all the campgrounds full, every wide spot had an RV on it and it was getting dark. Neither of us likes to ride after dark so we needed to get stopped. Finally, I spotted a side road that didn't look too well used so I headed up it. The first two wide spot were already occupied so we kept going. Finally, a few miles in I spotted a wide spot and declared it camp. We were right next to the road but not one vehicle went by during the time we were there and it turned out to be a pretty nice place to camp.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the "New Normal" we are now living some of us long time campers are learning what we had an easy time finding, in the past, isn't so easy now. I'm curious how things are going to play out next year. Will the forests still be full of people or will all these people revert to what they were doing before? Will there be all sorts of RVs and sporting good out on the market for killer deals?

Day three of IDBDR coming up next. . .
  9. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    7/19/20 Day 3 to Prichard, ID via IDBDR

We weren't getting through this a quickly as we thought we would but we were having fun anyway.
    [​IMG]

We camped with these big trees keeping watch over us.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Leaving camp to return to Avery.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Idaho state flower. Every time I see one of these I think back to learning about state flower when I was about in the second grade. I don't remember learning much else but I do remember these flowers. I lived in ID at the time.
    [​IMG]

It's a beautiful morning and a nice ride.
    [​IMG]

Yep I was getting low on gas. At least I had a gallon with me in my rotopax if either of us ran out.
    [​IMG]

Pretty good gas mileage.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heading north.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Old railroad trestle
    [​IMG]

The tunnels were part of the railroad too.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Taking the road to the right takes you to the bottom of a similar trail that is bicycles only. Hiawatha Trail
    [​IMG]

At a bend in the road this waterfall is hiding in plain sight.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We stopped in Wallace for lunch.
    [​IMG]

I'll be back a little later to tell you about the rest of the ride.
  10. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    7/19/20 Day 3 to Prichard, ID via IDBDR Continued

Leaving Wallace I was trying to follow my GPS and it had us going in circles in Wallace the trying to send us back down Moon Pass. When we got headed in the correct direction I thought we were doing well but then we started up a rut infested hill and it was fairly long. We were doing great until we weren't.
    [​IMG]

I was leading and fell over when I hit a rut and got tippy. PNW Buttercup was doing fine until she went around me then the same thing happened to her. Probably because she was watching out to make sure she got around me OK.

You got to admit this is a very funny scene.
    [​IMG]

It took a little bit to get both the bikes back upright between the ruts, the angle of the hill, and the slippery road. The pictures flattened all out and doesn't show how deep the ruts are or how steep the hill is. I've seen worse but this one got me.

PNW Buttercups bike is upright again.
    [​IMG]

And it's rest time.
    [​IMG]

The
    Superbug:pyndis back upright.

[​IMG]

And I'm taking a break.
    [​IMG]

After we took our break PNW Buttercup headed up the hill.
    [​IMG]

Once she was basically to the top of the hill I started and dumped my bike again. The back tire fell back into the rut just as I was starting and over I went. I was frustrated and ready to give it up and go back down the hill. PNW Buttercup suggested she ride it up for me since she could touch the ground if it started to fall. When the bike starts going over with me on it there is no stopping it. I agreed to let her take it up and she got it up to the top. I was still frustrated but the walk up the hill in riding boots worked the frustration out of me. Some days I hate being short more than other days this was one of those days that I really, really, hated being short.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was afraid we were going to have more challenges ahead and I wasn't sure I wanted to tackle it. I was wrong and the roads ahead were good easy riding.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We got to this intersection and we weren't sure which way to go.
    [​IMG]

PNW Buttercup checking her phone.
    [​IMG]

This looks like a good way to ride.
    [​IMG]

It wasn't the right way and we ended up on the pavement. There is only one paved road out there and I knew if we followed it we would end up in Prichard but at this point, I was turn around. My GPS said north was one way, PNW Buttercup's phone indicated another way and the sun said it was yet a different direction. I believed the sun but at the same time, I also know that road twists and turns so I wasn't positive we needed to go north at the point we were at. We headed the direction we thought was the right way but after a few miles, I saw a landmark and realized we were headed back toward Wallace instead. We turn around and rode into Prichard. There's ice cream there and we could top off our tanks. Actually it's not really in Prichard it's a gas station at an intersection about a mile out of Prichard.

It was late afternoon and as we chatted over our ice cream we decided to bag the IDBDR at this point and finish it up later. We need to return to the spot we went the wrong way and ended up on the pavement and go the right way. The area where we were is a popular area even before this year and we realized finding camping was going to be a challenge.

We got on the interstate just before Couer d' Alene, ID and rode on home.
    [​IMG]

Our plan is to finish it up this month but with the fire situation, I'm not sure we are going to be able to. If we can't do it this year we'll do it next year.
  11. LittleWan

LittleWan You can do it!

Oddometer:
    Poor sleepy bikes!
    [​IMG]

"Some days I hate being short more than other days this was one of those days that I really, really, hated being short."
    "When the bike starts going over with me on it there is no stopping it."

Oh Ladybug, I feel your pain! I've had those days, too. Stupid short legs :bluduh

I posted this critter photo from the tunnels back on page 23 of this report, but I will do it again since you went back to them! :lol3
    (sorry it's so huge, not sure what photobucket did)
    When BigWan and I were there, these deer startled us and vice versa!
    [​IMG]

Fun to see your photos - looks like you and PNW Buttercup had a great ride!
    :thumb

It's hard to imagine so many people camping in those areas that were so empty before.
    I don't remember seeing anyone when we rode through there, it was great!
    Hope things get back to normal, eventually.

take care and hope it's not too smoky near you!
    (air quality all throughout the west is looking really bad for this weekend :cry)
  12. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting the deer pic @LittleWan. Deer and other critters go into the tunnels to enjoy the cool shade.

I'm having a hard time imagining so many people in these areas this year too and I saw it. I expect next year it will be more normal. I also think there will be a lot of outdoor toys for sale cheap. :evil I'm keeping my eyes open for an 8' kayak. :D

@Oldschoolrocker if you haven't seen LittleWan's ride reports yet click the here button in her signature line. I suspect you and @HoneyBunny will enjoy the reports. The two of you and the Wans have a lot in common. Actually LittleWan does a heck of great ride report and any of you will enjoy reading them. As long as things are burning and between that and covid so many of us are staying home you might as well read some good ride reports.
  13. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

not bad....2 for 1....:clap

:lol2
    PNW Buttercup and TheAdmiral like this.
  14. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Hi Joel,
    That's about what I thought when I saw both bikes laying there. PNW Buttercup was starting to pick up her bike and I said "OH No, photo ops first" There are priorities.

It's harder to pick up bikes when you can't stop laughing. :lol3
    B10Dave, PNW Buttercup and NSFW like this.
  15. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    8/1/20 O & H Motofest
    That's @Oldschoolrocker and @HoneyBunny aka Eric and Stephanie.

Eric and Stephanie decided to host a week-long motofest at their home north of Davenport, WA or northwest of Spokane, WA. They did a "great" job of selecting the hottest week of the year with temperature up around 100. :knary They had a few people that showed up and spent the week, relaxing and enjoying the hospitality even though it was hot.

That week I didn't leave my house, I didn't want to go out into the heat even in my air-conditioned van but I did want to get out there to see everyone at least one evening. I didn't want to ride in the heat and I didn't want to take a chance of having to ride after dark so I went out in my van.

I even forgot my camera and I rarely forget my camera so all I got was crappy phone pictures but I'll share them anyway.

Even seeing a few motorcycles makes me happy.:clap
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eric getting dressed in his vintage jersey to go ride his vintage bike. He built a track out on his property.
    [​IMG]

This is the cool bike.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is a nice jump here but the porta pottie placement left a lot to be desired when it came to photo ops. :dirtdog :lol2
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A flat needs to be repaired and there are tools and plenty of hand to help.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

When you need to bring more than one toy.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It sure was nice getting to see everyone and watch the guys play on the bikes. It was a perfect evening.
  16. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    8/15/20 checking geocaches on Moon Pass.

Yep, Moon Pass again but this time I'm checking on geocaches I have hidden along the route. There are six of mine and there are a number of others hidden by other people. When I put mine out there were no others and I like that others have been added.

This is the full route, a pleasant 231 mile day ride.
    [​IMG]

Moon Pass Rd. showing the geocaches.
    [​IMG]

As I'm headed east on the interstate out of Spokane Valley I can check the wind situation as I pass the Harley shop.
    [​IMG]

I bought a new toy and planned to work with it on this ride.
    [​IMG]

Rainbow007 was going to ride with me and Mr. Meowsy came to say hello. He's a very friendly kitty.
    [​IMG]

Riding east, Couer d' Alene lake is always beautiful and there are good views from the freeway.
    [​IMG]

Practicing my over the shoulder shot was a bit off with focus and direction the camera was held. :lol3
    [​IMG]

This one is better. Rainbow007 aka Becky spotted me taking a pic and waved to the camera. :D
    [​IMG]

People enjoying time on the lake.
    [​IMG]

We passed Wallace, ID and went to the top of Lookout Pass which is the ID/MT border. I wanted to get some information about the Hiawatha Trail and Mountain Biking at Lookout Pass.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A month ago my goal was to ride my bicycle on the Hiawatha Trail by the end of Sept. since I haven't done it on a bicycle. Many years ago, before it was changed to a bicycle trail, I did ride it on a snowmobile in the winter and a dirt bike in the summer although the 1.66 mile Taft tunnel was closed off and I couldn't ride through it then. The other tunnels were open and in the winter the roadbed in the tunnels was covered with straw to reduce damage to the skis from running on the dirt.

When I first found out they were going to create the trail and motorized vehicles weren't allowed I was pretty annoyed. Then I found out there was a section for non-motorized and there was still a part (Moon Pass Rd.) for motorized. I realized that was perfect, both user groups were considered. :clap

The information I was looking for was if the trail is still usable after their Sept. 20 closing date. I understood the shuttles any other concessions wouldn't be available but would it still be ridable? Nope, they gate off all access to the trail. The gal then explained they have a very short window between when they close it and snowfall. This is when they do the majority of maintenance on the trail. OK, I understand that.

The other thing I wanted to find out about was if any of the trails down the mountain were easy. The first person I talked with I asked if there was a forest service type road or fire road to ride down after chair lifting up. The poor gal obviously isn't from this area (college student age) she didn't know what a forest service road or fire road is like. She had to go get someone else to help me. She did stick around and listen to us discuss it so she could learn.

I forget people from other parts of the country aren't exposed to the same wonderful things we are.

What I found out is there is one trail that isn't bad however she did say there are a couple of steep spots I might want to walk my bike down.

I hope to be able to do the Hiawatha Trail and the easy trail at Lookout Pass. My older brother and I haven't done much together as adults since he doesn't like things like motorcycles but he does like bicycles, Kayaks, hiking, and camping. He's excited that now that I'm retired I'm working on getting in better shape so I can do those things. He wants to do those things with me since all his friends got old and stopped doing those things except him.

It's weird how the older we get the fewer playmates we have. :D

Alright, enough babble, I'll give you some pics.

We headed back into Wallace. Exiting off the freeway takes us under the freeway into town and in the winter it is a snowmobile route.
    [​IMG]

The first stop was the top of Moon Pass to check a cache. It's still there and still in good shape. No maintenance needed. I didn't get a pic there before we moved on to the next cache I was checking on.
    [​IMG]

A nice little waterfall at the hairpin curve. The cache was gone so I replaced it.
    [​IMG]

Onward
    [​IMG]

The third cache stop.
    [​IMG]

It's a magnetic key holder on this bridge and had been reported missing.
    [​IMG]

There were some spots that it might have been but I couldn't see so I took pics to see if I could see it on the camera.

Nope, no cache here.
    [​IMG]

I looked at the camera and determined there wasn't a cache here either. After I got home, loaded the pics on my computer, and cropped in I discovered low and behold there that little bugger is. Someone had replaced it in a hard to get to spot.
    [​IMG]

Water under the bridge and someone is fishing down there.
    [​IMG]

The bridge now has two caches. :lol3 Hopefully, that makes it easier to find.:thumb Geocaching draws a variety of people. Some really enjoy the challenge of solving the mystery of finding the hard to find caches. Some enjoy going for the numbers and prefer going to areas with high concentrations of caches. Others enjoy the most difficult to get to ones, 7-mile hike to a cache no biggie :eekers. Me, I like the ones that take me to interesting or scenic places.

The caches I put out are hidden where they are easy to access and find but hopefully in interesting places.

The road to the left goes to the Hiawatha Trail.
    [​IMG]

That's the shuttle they use to take bicyclists back up the hill to the top of the trail. People up front, bicycles in the back of the bus.
    [​IMG]

We stopped for a bit of a break here. We were trying to figure out that power pole up there on top of the tunnel. We couldn't see any other power poles but that one and there's certainly no wires.
    [​IMG]

Then we checked out the running pitch on this tree.
    [​IMG]

I remember when we were young our mom told us Indians used to chew pitch like gum. My brother tried it a few times. It tasted like pine needles. :D

It was hot out and this tree was running with fresh pitch which was dripping.
    [​IMG]

Pretty motorcycles.
    [​IMG]

I missed stopping to check on Wallace to Avery 4 but the last log on this one was a find so it's still in play.

I missed Wallace to Avery 5 too. I realized there is a cache over there on the left just as I snapped the shot. It's another one that is still being found so I was fine with continuing on.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was a tad dusty when I got too close to Becky.
    [​IMG]

Inside the tunnel. Wahhooo.
    [​IMG]

Dang it's dark in here. :lol3
    [​IMG]

The next tunnel is Wallace to Avery 6 and is my favorite. A little dust had been kicked up. Becky spotted some shade and she parked closer to the tunnel than I did.
    [​IMG]

There's my bike working on it's tan.
    [​IMG]

Another view of this tunnel.
    [​IMG]

Most people don't notice this lovely little waterfall going into the tunnel or out of the tunnel. On the way in people are focused on the tunnel opening and coming from the other direction as people come out of the tunnel their eyes are busy adjusting to the light again and they also miss it.
    [​IMG]

On a hot day the nice cool breeze coming off the falls is so refreshing.
    Don't try to walk on those rocks, they a very slippery.
    [​IMG]

Geocache replaced. The original was gone.
    [​IMG]

Moss carpeted rock wall.
    [​IMG]

I didn't think the falls would have water going over it this time of years and I expected to see brown dried up moss. I was pleased the falls were falling and the mosses were green.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoyed a flower or two as well.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the other side of the road, you can see the river and the river road. That's where the dispersed camping is that we were told about a few weeks earlier while we were doing the IDBDR.
    [​IMG]

We were ready to go but first, we needed to wait for a few ATVs to go through the tunnel.
    [​IMG]

It's our turn. I like how this tunnel went through the rock hill.
    [​IMG]

For as many years as I can remember this was called Scheffy's it seems odd that it isn't anymore. Locals still call it Sheffy's.
    [​IMG]

Museum and it's worth a look.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heading home along Chatcolet Lake which connects to St. Joe River and Couer d' Alene Lake.
    [​IMG]

The end of this one.
    [​IMG]

Coming next is a week-long ride around the Olympic Pennisula and more.
  17. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    About the action camera. I got to where I could easily turn it on and off so that was good. I viewed a little of what I shot on the camera and it looked pretty good and not shakey. Then I was going to download it to my computer and really had no idea of what I was doing. I pressed the menu button and format came up. My first thought was, "oh yeah I want the pics formatted". I pressed that option and just as soon as I did my brain connected and I realized what I did = Everything I took that day was deleted. But, I have a nice clean formatted disc. :baldy

I'll learn to use that sucker yet.
    B10Dave and Oldschoolrocker like this.
  18. PNW Buttercup

PNW Buttercup Dancing with dirt roads...

Oddometer:
    Ah yes... oil change horror stories... all went well until I found a washer in the oil, after all things were buttoned up... :becca

E-gawds.... I had to call in my knight in shiny silver armor (Honda rider @waterman28) to help with a stripped bolt on my skid plate.
    B10Dave and Ladybug like this.
  19. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    8/22/20 thru 8/28/20 Olympic Pennisula Loop and other fun touristy stuff.

My friend, @PNW Buttercup, is from Montana and there was a lot of WA she had seen so we decided to go for a street ride and visit some WA highlights. We had been talking about doing this for a couple of years and we finally did it this year.

The full route.
    [​IMG]

Saturday 8/22/20 to Arlington, WA via North Cascade Highway (SR20).

[​IMG]

We met at the gas station in Deer Park, WA to start the ride. PNW Buttercup was there and eager to ride and I didn't get a pic of her but she got one of me.
    [​IMG]

As many times as I have been to or by Deer Park this is the first time I noticed this.
    [​IMG]

We stopped in Kettle Falls for breakfast and my motorcycle is sniffing the flowers.
    [​IMG]

The bridge crossing the Columbia River or maybe it's called Lake Roosevelt here.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We stopped just outside of Republic at a historic spot where a log flume used to run. There are some nice hiking trails here, we followed one a short distance.
    [​IMG]

There is a lot scenery that looks like this on this road.
    [​IMG]

Li'l Store. I've never been in it. One of these days I need to stop and check it out.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I sure was enjoying the pretty blue sky.
    [​IMG]

We stopped in Winthrop for ice cream.
    [​IMG]

A water feature on the patio.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The shiny bikes on one side of the road parked neatly.
    [​IMG]

The dirty bike on the other side park however it works. I got PNW Buttercup in this pic.
    [​IMG]

It was fairly busy there, which is normal.
    [​IMG]

Moving on.
    [​IMG]

I'll be back a little later with more . . .
  20. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't think that was a power pole. With the two equal length cross arms it looks more like a telegraph pole from when the railroad used that tunnel. Could be wrong though.