Riding, Geocaching and Exploring . . . .

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Ladybug, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Telegraph pole makes a lot more sense.
    B10Dave likes this.
  2. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    More of Saturday 8/22/20 to Arlington, WA via North Cascade Highway (SR20).

This road is so nice to ride. The views are amazing.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We just rode up this road. Stopped at the Washington Pass Viewpoint. It's always worth a stop.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next stop is the Diablo Lake viewpoint. The color of this water is so pretty.
    [​IMG]

Not far from the viewpoint are a couple of campgrounds at Colonial Creek. We planned to camp there but that's wasn't to be. All the sites in both campgrounds were full. We moved on down to Newhalem. There is a huge campground near the visitor center and I figured we would find a site there since it's not on the water like Colonial Creek. Wrong! It too was packed. We checked out another more rustic campground a couple miles from there and it too was full.

I kept thinking we would find a campground with an open site or at the least some dispersed camping. The only places that might have worked for camping were under transmission lines. I've camped near transmission lines before and didn't want to do it again. They snap, crackle and pop.

Still looking for at least dispersed camping I headed toward Darrington, nope still nothing. It's a darned good thing PNW Buttercup is easy to ride with, she doesn't get uptight about things like this. I was getting uptight enough for both of us. Neither of us like to ride after dark and it was getting dark. Finally, in Darrington we decided we would grab a motel but we didn't find that either. It wasn't dark yet and we decided to head toward Arlington. And then it got dark. I knew the further west we went the more traffic we would encounter which, for me, makes riding after dark more difficult. Finally, I spotted a motel, it was spendy but we needed to get off the road. At least there was a good place to eat next door and we enjoyed a nice dinner.

At the motel the desk clerk told us we could park under the covered area which they have reserved for special guests. I think it's some sort of upgrade or something but we got to take advantage of it. Showers and a good night's sleep had us ready for riding the next day.
  3. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    this rider is very lucky and for the rest of his life, he will remember that moment and the dames that rescued him. one reason i don't want to ride alone in a deserted and remote road.

[​IMG]
  4. NumberCruncher

NumberCruncher Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd love to know the nature of the crash. I don't like to see anyone go down but I prefer it when they did something foolish that I do not do as it gives me a sense that it won't happen to me. Deer strikes are ones I DON'T like to hear about as that can happen to any of us.

NSFW I am just now reading your tour of Europe in 2018 and 2019 thread. I met you at Stefans in August of 2018 on a big new R1200GS. That bike has been a lemon and is in the shop three weeks straight with worn out camshafts at under 7,000 miles. I hope to get rid of it and get something smaller and lighter but will have to wait for repairs.

NC

5. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    He was very well prepared for his solo ride and being in remote areas. He had a come along with him and he was working on getting everything off the bike and make use of it when we found him. There was a sharp rock on the other side of his bike that he was concerned about dropping the bike on and it punching a hole in something that he didn't want a hole in. He had the rock covered with his sleeping pad just in case. He was also prepared for spending time in the forest stranded with food, water, water filter, first aid kit, etc. I think he told me he had an inReach with him as well.

Of course, no matter how well a person is prepared if you are unconscious or badly injured being alone can be a problem.

I also go out there alone however I try to stay away from anything technical.

For the most part, it was rider error. Where he normally rides water/deep puddle crossings are few and far between. Lack of experience in dealing with it. He tried to ride straight through the middle, the deepest spot, hit a rock or rut and it shot him off track. Bad line selection. The side behind his gear was easy peasy and where PNW Buttercup and I rode to get around it.
    SoPaRider likes this.
  6. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Sunday 8/23/20 to Port Townsend with a stop to visit with @Radioman

We slept in then headed out on I-5 but we only stayed on it for a short while and it wasn't busy.
    [​IMG]

Deception Pass is usually a good spot to stop to enjoy the view.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

@Radioman and I planned to meet at a restaurant in Coupeville, across from the ferry terminal. He was there waiting when @PNW Buttercup and I arrived.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It had been a couple of years since we had seen each other and it was so good to see him and visit for awhile. Covid-19 is making me miss friends that I haven't seen for a while even more than before.

Making up for all the hugs we haven't shared in a while.
    [​IMG]

The new bike Radioman bought recently.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bye, enjoy your ride. See ya next time.
    [​IMG]

Here's our ferry.
    [​IMG]

People camping in places I haven't seen people camp before.
    [​IMG]

At Port Townsend, we went to Fort Worden State Park hoping to find a campsite. Nope, nothing available. As we talked with the guy in the office he suggested we try the fairgrounds saying they are never full. We went to the Fairground and sure enough, there was room for us. Whewwwwww. We set up in and paid for an RV site since it was only $3 more and it was much closer to the shower house than the tent sites. It was nice to have electricity to be able to charge our phone and camera batteries.

After camp was set up we returned to Fort Worden to see of the history. The first stop was the lighthouse.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Big boat speeding by.
    [​IMG]

We took a little walk on the beach.
    [​IMG]

Beach structure.
    [​IMG]

Sand rock?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rocks stacked to look like a fish or at least that's what I think it is.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We spent some time walking around and looking at one of the Military Bunkers.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time to go.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the pretty buildings in town.
    [​IMG]

Another lighthouse.
    [​IMG]

Back to the Fairgrounds we went.
  7. NumberCruncher

NumberCruncher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mom used to have a place on Whidbey island. I spent countless weekends up there including days on my motorcycle. You do know that motorcycles don't have to wait in line for the ferry right? That privilege cannot be overstated. I hope you grabbed a giant ice cream cone from the farmhouse near La Connor.

Thanks for bringing back the memories. I hope once the smoke clears We get a few more nice days in Spokane. Ride safe.

NC

Ladybug likes this.
  8. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ah, friendships! Best picture of the post!
    [​IMG]
    klaviator, BHlvr, B10Dave and 2 others like this.
  9. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    @NumberCruncher, thanks for mentioning motorcycles get to bypass all the cars and load onto the ferry first. It is a huge deal, especially on busy days. First on, first off is a superfood thing.

@TheAdmiral, I like that pic too. @PNW Buttercup captured that hug. Friendships are very important.
    NumberCruncher and TheAdmiral like this.
  10. Shady Pass David

Shady Pass David Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Joel.........Didn't you catch the key word......SKEETERS...?
  11. Shady Pass David

Oddometer:
    The city of Potlatch has swell city campground if you are traveling down that way again..
    I used it 4 days as a base to mess around the area....Two summers ago...
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  12. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Monday 8/24/20 A day riding with @Metalcarver and back to Port Townsend.

I think this is the route we took although since we were following Metalcarver I wasn't retaining the roads we were on.
    [​IMG]

With the issues we have encountered with finding camping we decided to stay at the Fairgrounds another night since Port Angeles isn't that far away. The fairgrounds aren't luxury camping by any means but it works. The camping is all open sort of grassy area but we had electricity and there were showers. The downside is they close the bathrooms from 10:00 pm until 7:00 am but there was a porta-potty if needed. Apparently they had problems with vandalism which is why the bathrooms are closed.

The tent area is pretty much in the backyard of a residential area. I'm glad we opted for an RV site.
    [​IMG]

I like that red camper that looks like a caboose.
    [​IMG]

Breakfast time.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We were to meet Metalcarver at the Walmart parking lot. No problem, that sounded easy.... I forgot he lived in Port Angeles and I was thinking we were meeting at the Walmart in Sequim since that's where PNW Buttercup and I had breakfast. He was waiting for us in Port Angeles and we were waiting for him in Sequim. After about 20 minutes I know something wasn't right and text him to discover we were at the wrong Walmart. :D

Once we figured out what we were doing and got together with Metalcarver we got the local tour. It was very cool to be able to see things a local knows about.

This inlander always likes boats.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wasn't sure where he was taken us as we rode through an industrial area but I still enjoyed seeing what was there.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wild paint job on that SUV, then there is something up on the rock wall. Hmmmmmm
    [​IMG]

Flowers
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Taking pics of each other. :lol3
    [​IMG]

PNW Buttercup getting a close up of the balancing driftwood.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We met this guy, he's the artist that creating these two sculptures. He explained the one he is pointing to depicts the Heart of the Mountain (area near Hurricane Ridge).
    [​IMG]

He showed us how he could take a piece off, it would stay balanced, and it moves with the wind.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mismatched flip flops abandoned on a log.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This river is very pretty. @Metalcarver, what river is that? I can't remember.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

PNW Buttercup mentioned she likes waterfalls so Metalcarver took us here.
    [​IMG]

Look at the size of this stump.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Headed for Hurricane Ridge.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Metalcarver told us Big Foot lives down there.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We make a few stops to see the views.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spectacular.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A cloud floated in.
    [​IMG]

We said goodbye to Metalcarver at the parking lot as he was going to head straight home and we were going to make more stops on the way down.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We walked up this path to see where it goes.
    [​IMG]

It went to a tree and a view.
    [​IMG]

A tree with long hair.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We stopped at Applebees on the way back to camp and had dinner.
    [​IMG]
    SoPaRider, klaviator, B10Dave and 4 others like this.
  13. Shady Pass David

Oddometer:
    We short folks can always find a box or a pal's back to stand on and get elevation...
    Ladybug likes this.
  14. Metalcarver

Metalcarver Geezer Berserker Supporter

Oddometer:
    That first river we stopped at was the Lower Elwha. One of the main drainages of the park. Madison falls is also on the Elwha and the big valley west of the visitor center is drained by the Elwha.

Depending on the light you can find amazing examples of wild fauna cavorting all over the place.

[​IMG]
    BHlvr, klaviator, B10Dave and 2 others like this.
  15. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Tuesday 8/25/20 Cycle Camp near Forks, WA

With vacant campsites hard to come by PNW Buttercup did some research to see if she could find something that could be reserved. She found campgrounds with no availability then she discovered Cycle Camp. No real website and when she called she had to leave a message. It sounded a little odd but it turned out perfect. Two thumbs up to @PNW Buttercup for finding this jewel for us. :thumb:thumb
    [​IMG]

This is at Discovery Bay and when I first found it, many years ago, it was painted brightly and each car had a different treat in it. There was ice cream, espresso, candy, & a gift shop. It had a huge pink, white, and brown ice cream cone in front of the parking lot and I stopped every time I was in the area. Boy was I disappointed that it is no longer what it once was. I guess cannabis is more profitable. :(:
    [​IMG]

Joyce isn't very big.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Too bad we already ate this looks like it would be a good place to eat. Maybe Metalcarver will go try it for me.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We stopped to enjoy the view. We did that a lot because we could.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We found a sign at Mora, WA indicating the reservation is closed to non-Native Americans.
    [​IMG]

At Rialto Beach, we were on the edge of the reservation.
    [​IMG]

I didn't spot the campground when we passed it since I wanted to go to the beach before getting set up.
    [​IMG]

The parking lot was full and there were a lot of people on the beach but it was still very nice.
    [​IMG]

There is a lot of driftwood on the beach.
    [​IMG]

Someone built a shelter.
    [​IMG]

I like the waves and the big rocks out in the water.
    [​IMG]

PNW Buttercup enjoying the waves too.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More shelter.
    [​IMG]

Rock stacking.
    [​IMG]

PNW Buttercup added a rock to this stack.
    [​IMG]

Peek a Boo
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our plan was to return to the beach and watch the sunset so we didn't stay that long. We wanted to get camp set up and go eat before that.

I'll be back to tell you about camp, it's an Out of Sight place.
    [​IMG]
  16. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Tuesday 8/25/20 Cycle Camp near Forks, WA continued.

Arriving at Cycle Camp we were greeted by the owner Bob. He is quite the character and is a gracious host. He wanted to make sure our stay was pleasant. He showed us around camp and told us to set up where ever we wanted. In the morning if we enjoyed our stay and wanted to pay we could put what we thought it was worth in the box on the door to his house. He then told us if we were out of work because of Covid or any other reason not to pay he was just happy to see people out.

Bob told us he is an old hippie and that he is. He spent the majority of his working life as a garbage collector and now he works part-time landscaping. He doesn't do computers or other types of technology and he likes it that way.

The Happy Camper door pic I posted in the last post is a garage door and his goal was to cover it with positive happy words.

This is a memorial to fallen motorcyclists.
    [​IMG]

Right next to the memorial, to the left, is a breast cancer donation box, biker style. If I understood correctly, how it works is women can measure their breast size by placing a breast in one of the holes. Men that are watching are required to place donations in the coffee can. While this isn't something I would do I give him kudos for creativity. I guess there are a few larger campouts that freely utilize the measuring device. :lol3
    [​IMG]

Low maintenance flowers.
    [​IMG]

There are a number of things around to look at.
    [​IMG]

A playground in case there are children in the camp.
    [​IMG]

Bob's personal playground.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is colorful three-wheeler is street legal and Bob drives it when he leaves camp.
    [​IMG]

Bob then took us to his garage so we could see his toys.
    Things were a bit tight for the most part so I wasn't able to get very good pics.
    [​IMG]

A car in a bubble.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Other odds and ends in the garage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only motorcycle he had on-site when we visited. He has a couple of others but they are in a friend's garage.
    [​IMG]

Time to find out camp spot.
    [​IMG]

So many choices.
    [​IMG]

We found where we wanted to set up and headed to town for dinner. More to come . . .
  17. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    There wasn't much of an option for dinner in Forks, WA but we did find a place to eat and it was decent.

With camp being only a couple of miles from the beach we were looking forward to watching the sunset on the ocean. But first, we stopped to look at this.
    [​IMG]

There are things growing on it of that stump.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We had plenty of time to get to the beach before sunset but the road was shaded.
    [​IMG]

Not a bad ride.
    [​IMG]

The moon was already out.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back to the driftwood and things looked a little different.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There were a few bonfires on the beach with people hanging out at them.
    [​IMG]

Someone apparently walked out of their shoes.:lol3
    [​IMG]

Another bonfire. There were now more people than before.
    [​IMG]

And what we were waiting for, the sunset.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The sunset was nice but not as spectacular as we hoped for. It was still a good evening on the beach.

Back at camp. This is at the entrance to the camp.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the shower room, there are shampoos, conditioners, soaps, and even towels if a camper needs to use one.
    [​IMG]

Even though the campground is next to the road it was very quiet and a good night's sleep was had.
  18. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    You see such very interesting places. The beach is really cool looking.
    B10Dave likes this.
  19. BHlvr

BHlvr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Your photos and commentary are very enjoyable. I like your dry humor. I also really like that you link the pics to your Smug Mug account so that I can view them in a larger format. The terrain out there is so very different from what we have here in the East Coast.
  20. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    I like ocean beaches with things on them, big rocks, driftwood, whatever. Sandy beaches are nice but I like variety.

Thank you. I'm glad you are enjoying it.