Riding, Geocaching and Exploring . . . .

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Ladybug, Jun 9, 2013.

1. sector

sector Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes!
    Ladybug likes this.
  2. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    March 25, 2021

[​IMG]
    Arriving in Death Valley always makes me smile, for some reason it is one of my happy places, no matter what. I found my site at Panamint Springs Resort, got the bike unloaded and checked things out.
    [​IMG]

The airplane parked near the store was fun. Someone has a sense of humor.
    [​IMG]

If you are planning a trip to Death Valley consider camping at Panamint Springs. There is camping with showers, motel rooms, fuel, small store, & a restaurant. You can even get wifi service near the store and sometimes in camp. When contacting them for reservations be patient as they often miss their calls, leave a message for a call back or email them. I like staying here better than Furnace Creek.

I was camped next to Sarah and her husband. She came over and chatted with me for a while. She was happy to see another woman in camp and was fun to talk with.
    [​IMG]

With it raining while I was loading my van and putting the bikes on the trailer before I left home I got soaked and right before leaving I decided to change into dry clothes. I had pulled the key out of the ignition of the bike after it was loaded and put it in my jeans pocket. Duh, I left my key at home in my wet jeans. :fpalm

Matt and a few others made sure I was able to ride and hot wired the bike for me.
    [​IMG]

@Little Bike (Sue) and I were going to ride to Beatty for lunch then Titus on the way back. I think it was Marty that took this pic.
    [​IMG]

Marty was following along for a bit. I should have cleaned my mirror. :lol3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After cresting the hill and riding around a curve my bike died.
    [​IMG]

Marty stopped to assist. After a few minutes it started and was running fine.

Pictures don't do justice for Death Valley. It is much prettier in real life.
    [​IMG]

The the bike died again after going around another corner. Marty changed the petcock over to reserve and it ran again. I thought there was enough fuel in the tank but I guess it goes on reserve earlier than I thought. I filled the tank at Stovepipe Wells and the rest of the way to Beatty it spit and sputtered a few more times but didn't die again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We had a nice lunch at a bar, visited a bit and got to know each other a little. I decided I shouldn't ride Titus in case my bike had more issues. I was very disappointed since I wanted to ride it but even more I didn't want my bike to stop running out there and need help to get it back to camp. I was already "that" person with forgetting my key then having issues on the way to lunch and didn't want to continue to be a pain in the butt.

Back to Panamint we headed with Sue in the lead.
    [​IMG]

I enjoy the desert views.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Other motorcyclists were out there.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We stopped for a few minutes to watch the dust devil playing in the dunes.
    [​IMG]

That evening in camp Jimmy Lewis was doing a riding demo and found two willing helpers.
    [​IMG]

Sarah is a good example.
    [​IMG]

Jimmy Lewis showing us how he goes over rocks.
    [​IMG]
  3. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    If you're going to be at the Jamboree let's make plans then. If you're not going to be able to be there we'll chat about it at another time. If Nov. isn't too late for you let's look at going down to the Pahrump, NV Rally.
  4. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think that post about "stop reports" might mine and I apologize if my wording led you to believe I didn't like the stops. I think that the stops and the people, and the food we eat are all part of the ride. The point I was trying to make was that some of us, including me, could do a better job with the actual riding part of the ride. There are some people on this forum who do truly epic ride reports. Metaljocky, colebatch, RTW Doug and others. Most of us aren't in their league. That doesn't mean our ride reports aren't interesting or that we shouldn't do them. But, I'm never really happy with MY ride reports and I'm always trying to improve and that was the whole point of that thread and why I post in it.

@Ladybug , I have read your posts in many threads in this forum and am impressed with the things you write. People are what make this forum the great place that it is and you are one of those people.

As for your ride report, keep writing it. I have read some of it and do find it interesting and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Write what you want to put in it and what interests you. I can tell from your report that you enjoy riding as well as the stops.

Besides documenting our rides, ride reports are a way to get to know and meet other inmates. That in itself makes the ride reports worth reading. I recently got to meet @black 8 in person and that only happened because of our ride reports. If (when) I find myself in your part of the country I would certainly jump at the chance to meet you in person.

Sorry for the hijack, carry on.......
  5. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    @Ladybug,
    I enjoy seeing the world thru your eyes. Please keep sharing your experiences as you explore. You have been to many places I had never heard of before reading your reports. I enjoy that you stop and look for geocaches along the way too. I like your shots with riders in the mirrors. I don't get many action shots either except when I am stopped at an intersection waiting for the next rider to arrive. Most of my pics are of my bike on a mountain or on its side in a creek or something.

Keep inspiring others to get out there and see the world for themselves. :ricky
  6. sector

sector Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, I'm still planning on the Jamboree!
    Ladybug likes this.
  7. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Hi :wave
    Like I'm really thin skinned and take things the wrong way at times. It's amazing that I have been able to deal with ADV all these years.
    Yes, Metaljocky, colebatch, RTW Doug and others are masters at the ride report game when it comes to the riding and bikes. When it comes to entertaining reports with riding, stops, people and the entire experience I think @LittleWan is my favorite..

I have met people after reading their reports and made the effort to meet them. I rode to a Klim rally in S Idaho so I could meet Big & Little Wan. I met RTW Doug in Seattle and a few places since. Then there is @larryboy. Often after following people's reports I feel like I know them.

Hopefully I will get to meet you one day.

I'm amazed that I find places you don't know about since you get out a lot too plus we both went to school in Moses Lake. You're a tad (a lot) younger than me though. :D

Your ride reports provide me with places I haven't been yet too so they get added to my to do list.

I shoot on the fly when I'm riding. I have been doing it for many, many years. I use a simple point and shoot camera that I keep on a lanyard around my neck. I'm just learning to get the mirror shots and over the shoulder shots. Any of them that turn out are a bonus.

Wahhhhhoooooo. :clap We need to talk @Radioman into coming too.
  8. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Since I lost confidence in my bike I decided to load up and head home.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Goldfield, NV has so many cool old buildings.
    [​IMG]

This hotel is supposed to be haunted. I hope one day someone with enough money brings it back to life.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These pics were just going through the main road in town.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Long Nevada road.
    [​IMG]

Austin, NV has some pretty cool stuff too.
    [​IMG]

Spent the night in Winnemucca, NV on the way back and enjoyed the full moon.
    [​IMG]

I don't remember which town this was in.
    [​IMG]

Pin striped gas pump.
    [​IMG]

And the last photo of the trip.
    [​IMG]
  9. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    A few weeks later 4/15/21 and with all fresh fuel in the TWs gas tank I took it for a ride to see how it would go.

[​IMG]

I found some spring flowers.
    [​IMG]

I waved at all the Harley riders at Cruisers as I rode by.
    [​IMG]

More flowers. Can you tell I'm excited for spring?
    [​IMG]

My ride was to Post Falls, ID from Spokane on the N side of the river and I-90. On the way back I rode the backroads on the S side of the river and I-90.

Cool old brick school.
    [​IMG]

The local Harley dealership had sent me a text to let me know the Pan American was there on display so I had to stop. My bike looks a little out of place there. :lol3
    [​IMG]

There were four gals there getting ready to go for a ride. I went and chatted with them some and I will ride with them at some point. They have added me to their contact list. The fourth gal is there, she just sort of disappeared behind the others.
    [​IMG]

I didn't turn on my flash so the pics turned out blurry.
    [​IMG]

There were three guys looking at the Pan American and I just sort of added myself to their group. I hope they didn't mind my intruding. If they did they were nice about it. The owner of the dealership was there talking with them but unfortunately, he didn't know anything about the new bike. He kept saying he didn't know but the sales people would. I finally politely asked him if he rides. Yes he does and I discovered he knows a lot about cruisers but nothing about adventure riding yet. I think the Pan American has some terrific features and I hope Harley does well with it. I think it's going to be a steep learning curve for many of the Harley employees.

The owner explained to me that they were aware they had a lot to learn and with that along with the Pan American display bike they brought in their competitors' bikes so the employees could test ride all of them and learn about what's out there. He took us upstairs where all the adventure bikes were so we could see them all side by side.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's too bad the bikes weren't available for the public to demo but I like that they were teaching their employees about the different Adventure bikes.

As far as bike ride went all was good the bike ran great no more spit and sputters and I was a happy camper. :clap

Next up the 2007 BMW F650GS comes back to life after being ran into by that pickup last Aug.:thumb
  10. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ladybug; your RRs are just fine as you post them. If we were not interested in what you post we would not be here. Ride safe, ride far, ride often; and always tell us about it!!!......Dave
    LadyFish4, Ladybug, ADK and 5 others like this.
  11. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Thank you.
    B10Dave likes this.
  12. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    A couple of pages ago I told you about how a week long ride ended with my motorcycle under a pickup: https://advrider.com/f/threads/riding-geocaching-and-exploring.894229/page-64#post-40889203

That was last Aug. and all is good now, I'm healed and my motorcycle is up and running again.

About two years ago thanks to Facebook I reconnected with an old friend I used to ride with back in the late 70s and 80s. About a month later he left for AZ and went through extensive treatment for leukemia. He returned to my area last fall but his contact with other people has been very minimal due to his lack of immunities after treatment and the threat of Covid-19.

My friend, Red, is what I would call an old-school Harley rider. To me, that's a Harley rider that loves motorcycles and loves to ride them anywhere and anytime. He also grew up as a farm boy and knows how to make things work without running to the parts store. In talking he told me he would like to take up Adventure riding. We agreed that he would put my bike back to running order and in exchange, he could use it for the week of the Wallowa Valley Adventure Jamboree, Beater Bike Bonanza & nOObs too. I dropped it off at his place last fall and left it there for the winter so he could work on it or not when he felt he had the energy to do it.

Since he loves motorcycles working on the bike was good therapy as he told me.

4/16/21 he was feeling well enough to ride and he wanted me to test ride my bike to make sure there were no strange noises or weird wobbles.

He was teasing me about forgetting my key and going to Death Valley without it as he handed me the key for my BMW.
    [​IMG]

His cousin Gary and another old friend, Tinker, was taking the ride with us.
    [​IMG]

Over the shoulder shot, failed.
    [​IMG]

I got a mirror shot.
    [​IMG]

We had a nice ride over Blanchard Pass.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We got to the gas station and Tinker was doing what Tinker does and how he got his name.
    [​IMG]

One of these things isn't like the rest.
    [​IMG]

And we headed back.
    [​IMG]

These Harley riders don't care about this sign.
    [​IMG]

A little bit of gravel and dust never bothered them.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A little after that we split ways they headed one way and I headed another. I had ridden my TW200 out there so I left it there and I will go get it later.

My bike rode well, no weird stuff. It's a bit scratched up but that's OK. With all the damage done to it the bike was totaled and I bought the salvage back. Red was able to make most of the repairs without too much being bought so it now qualifies as a Beater Bike for the Jamboree/Beater Bike event.

This was only the second time Red has been on a motorcycle since his cancer treatment and he said he felt good afterwards. He rode about 65 miles which is terrific for someone who's been through all he has been through. Riding therapy was very good for him. :clap
  13. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    4/18/21 another short ride, this time to Lewiston, ID.

This year I signed up to do the Tour of Honor now that I'm retired and have time to do it. I created a route taking back roads and going through small towns.

Ready to ride.
    [​IMG]

My first checkpoint was only about a mile from my house. I have driven by this many times but this is the first time I have stopped and looked at it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As I pulled back onto the street I realized I had never been east of the memorial so I went east and found some yard art.
    [​IMG]

I stopped at a school parking lot and adjusted my mirrors. While I was there I remember I added a couple of new stickers to my bike that morning so I decided to get a photo. The sticker is from when @PNW Buttercup and I rode up to Hurricane Ridge with @Metalcarver last Aug.
    [​IMG]

You can see the scratches on the box lid. The box was dented and the bracket was bent but Red was able to straighten them with a little work. I was amazed he was able to do that.

Another sticker from that trip & Forks, WA. Big Foot asking people to stay 6 feet apart.
    [​IMG]

Nice shop in Latah, WA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like this barn and it's appropriate since I was doing Tour of Honor stops.
    [​IMG]

This farm looks like a peaceful place to live.
    [​IMG]

Tekoa, WA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is new, I'll go check it out one of these days.
    [​IMG]

A Historic movie theater.
    [​IMG]

The Palouse on a nice spring day.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oaksdale, WA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Post Office. When I see old Post Offices I always think of Mortimersickle, I sure miss him.
    [​IMG]

When riding in the Palouse farm equipment on the highway is common.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty church.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Palouse, WA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Researching Route 66 attractions I learned signs like these are ghost signs.
    [​IMG]

Railroad tracks in the middle of the street.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A barn on the edge of town.
    [​IMG]

Yikes - Riding through the dust was very limited visibility but it was only a short stretch.
    [​IMG]

Ahhhhhhhh critters.
    [​IMG]

Driveway art
    [​IMG]

I wonder how much longer this is going to be standing.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had taken a road to see where it went. It went out into farmland. I was returning here.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is in Colton, WA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I miss old fashioned garages where people hung out and vehicles actually got fixed.
    [​IMG]

Another Tour of Honor checkpoint in Uniontown, WA
    [​IMG]

There are a couple of geocaches here too but I didn't find either of them.

I'll be riding to the Sprial Hwy.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fence art.
    [​IMG]

Flowers
    [​IMG]

And a bee.
    [​IMG]

I saw a church a few blocks away so I rode to it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

First time I have noticed this winery.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just about to Lewiston, ID
    [​IMG]

The top of the Spiral Highway
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm going to ride down this. :ricky :clap
    [​IMG]

Riding down.
    [​IMG]

Looking back up at the road.
    [​IMG]

About to the bottom.
    [​IMG]

At the bottom.
    [​IMG]

I crossed the river on this bridge and I decided to go see what was below it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had a VW like this when I was 16 but mine was white. It was the first vehicle I bought and only cost me $200.00. I managed to pay for it by working in a fast food place. I wish I would have kept that VW.
    [​IMG]

I like the light pole.
    [​IMG]

With checking out all the small towns along the way what normally takes two hours took me six hours. I decided to grab a room and go home the next day. My neighbor rode a pretty Indian.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. Hiff-Hiffs

Hiff-Hiffs Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats on getting your BMW back up and running! I love all of your flower pictures. When you start posting flower and green Palouse pictures it feels like spring is really here. :)
    Ladybug likes this.
  15. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Thank you. I agree flowers always indicate springtime is here.

Monday 4/19/21

I need to get out and ride more. I seem to be out of sync a bit and this ride also had a bit of Ladybug drama. With parking for the motel being on the street I took everything out of the bag, locked my steering and took the key into the room as I should. About three hours later I got a call from the front desk asking if I had left my headlight on. She got a call that a motorcycle's lights were on. I was confident my light wasn't on since my key was with me. A couple of minutes later I decided I better go out and check. Yep, it was my bike. :shog I turned the key all the way instead of stopping to the key will come out with the lights on position. The headlight was still shining but not as bright as normal. I turned it off and was hoping for the best come morning.

While stressing about it I posted on the Spokane area thread about my oops. I didn't ask for help I was babbling. Within a few minutes, I received PMs from @Phoenix101 and @Idarider offering help in the morning if my bike didn't start. They both live near where I was but they also both would be at work and were willing to leave work to come help. Two terrific guys there.

Of course, since I was stressed about having a dead battery in the morning I didn't sleep much.

The next morning I went out, turned on the key and the headlight was nice and bright. The bike started with no problem. Whewwww. I let Phoneix 101 and Idarider know all was good so they weren't wondering.

From the weather report, I knew it was going to be colder than the day before when the temperature was perfect. Yep, it was colder, a lot colder. My original plan was to ride a couple more days, but with it being cold I was headed home. I'm a wimp when it comes to cold. With staying in all winter I didn't get acclimated to cooler weather.

I started riding up Spiral Highway and stopped to enjoy the flowers. This reminds me of years ago when @Radioman go a shot of himself peaking through flowers with a big grin. When I think of that pic it makes me smile.
    [​IMG]

At one time there was a geocache under this tree but it is long gone.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Common site in the Palouse area.
    [​IMG]

Even with my electric jacket liner on and my heated grips I was cold and I wanted coffee. Some food wouldn't hurt either. I was riding north on why 95 so I decided I would stop at the Gateway Restuarant in Plummer, ID. It seemed like it took me forever to get there but it was worth it. The food is always good there.
    [​IMG]

After a few cups of coffee, a tasty lunch and warming up a little I was on my way again.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't think I was smiling but I was warmer.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll be home soon.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In a few weeks, the Palouse will be green with crops growing and the rolling hills make wonderful designs.

Once I got home I couldn't wait to get into a warm shower. The ride started miserably but after lunch, it was a little more pleasant but still chilly. That's what happens during those springtime rides in the PNW.

Alrighty, I'm caught up and just in time for me to go to Baker City tomorrow for our annual minibike race. This is going to be fun. We have an all ladies team and they are challenging the guys. :lol3
  16. Hiff-Hiffs

Hiff-Hiffs Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Gateway Restaurant is now on our list of places to stop and try. I have now seen it mentioned a couple of times in the last few weeks and it will be planned into our next ride up that way. Their menu looks tempting.

Being cold on the motorcycle sucks! Once you are that cold, it is so hard to warm up. I am with you; I hate being really cold on the bike.

Good luck to the all ladies team! I look forward to your ride report on the race.
    Ladybug likes this.
  17. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice pics Ladybug. Your selfie with the mask behind the visor made me smile. We can never be too careful, even when alone. Or was that a scarf to keep your nose warm? :-) Wish the damn virus would just disappear.
    Ladybug likes this.
  18. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    It was keeping my nose, cheeks, and chin a little warmer but I also used it when I went into the Restaurant. :D

I'm with you and wish that virus would go away.
    SoPaRider, Bob and klaviator like this.
  19. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Preview:
    2nd annual Corona 100 Mini Bike Enduro.... 100 miles on a mini.

Here's three of the minis, I borrowed these pics from LC Garage's thread.
    #99 is the first one we raced 4 years ago. LC98 is LC Garage's and LB98 is mine and the mini the all ladies team will be riding.
    20210429_162126-X2.jpg

And this is what we are racing for.
    20210428_103709-XL.jpg

The ladies on my team are Rainbow007, Courtney (Kootenai Rider's wife), Teeny (LC Garage's daughter & Jungle Man's Fiance.) and me. Kootenai Rider and Jungle Man have a mini and are a team with another guy. This is going to be fun.
  20. LittleWan

LittleWan You can do it!

Oddometer:
    Hi Sherry!

thanks for the kind words - so glad you enjoyed the old ride reports.
    It's nice that you're back to your report! I'm happy to see you still enjoyed DV.
    Have a great weekend at the mini bike race.
    I don't know if you'll see this before you leave, but we're all rooting for the gals!
    Woo! Good luck and kick some butt, ladies!
    :clap
    Bob, Ladybug, B10Dave and 2 others like this.