Riding, Geocaching and Exploring . . . .

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Ladybug, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Shady Pass David

Shady Pass David Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Call me Krazy or whatever....I like saying the word Washtucna....No spell check for that word..
    117* when I went through last week...Yikes!....:imaposer...........
    LC Garage likes this.
  2. LittleWan

LittleWan You can do it!

Oddometer:
    So funny! :lol3

Finally getting caught up now.
    I like seeing your smiling face behind the sprinkles!
    [​IMG]

Good to see you happy and riding :thumb
    Mike Dirt likes this.
  3. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    The Palouse, to some, with its rolling hills, is boring but I find it fascinating. Each time I ride through it looks a little different depending on the status of the crops. Not everyone enjoys this type of thing but I sure do.

Washtucna is a funny sounding word. :lol3 I looked it up and found it is the name of a Native American Cheif. Link

I'm glad you are still following along. :clap
  4. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    5-13-21 part 2

From Granger, WA I was headed over White Pass (W of Yakima, WA).

As I approached the dam on Tieton River, creating the Rim Rock Lake, I notice snow still on the mountains.
    [​IMG]

Until this tunnel there is only the small river flowing along the road.
    [​IMG]

Exiting the tunnel going west this is the view as you come out. The first time riding this road and coming out of the tunnel the view was very surprising. Now it's not a surprise but I still enjoy it.
    [​IMG]

At the top of White Pass.
    [​IMG]

Dropping down the other side there was a wonderful view of Mt. Rainier for a few seconds. It feels like you are going to ride right into it then the road turns and the mountain disappears.
    [​IMG]

When I stopped at the rest area I was entertained by this little guy. I could hear him tap, tap, tapping away but it took a few minutes to figure out where he was. I was looking at all the trees and didn't spot him then I saw him on the sign. I watched him for quite a while as he kept pecking on the back of the sign. I didn't want to get too close and frighten him away so I used my zoom on my camera. It's not all that great but at least I got an OK pic. While the pic isn't perfect, in years to come it will remind me of watching this guy at a rest area.
    [​IMG]

There was more water then I headed to Centralia, WA where I got a room for the night.
    [​IMG]

5/14/21 Day 2

After a good night's sleep, I was off looking for the next ToH checkpoint.
    [​IMG]

This pretty church caught my eye.
    [​IMG]

As I rode through Menlo, WA I was reminded of the first ADV event I attended. It was 2007, the event was posted on ADVrider, I had a new 2007 BMW F650GS so I went. I took and off-road workshop and as a bonus, I met my good friend Loud Al. Just riding through this tiny town brought up very good memories.
    [​IMG]

I made my way to where I would find the next checkpoint. I wasn't hungry but the fish and chips sounded good. I would have some later.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The checkpoint.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Look at the size of that oyster shell. Yikes.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoying a little local lore.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oyster shells.
    [​IMG]

I moved on to Raymond, WA and stopped for lunch.
    [​IMG]

The waitress sat me at a table surrounded by all this cool stuff. The route 66 corner. It seemed appropriate since I plan to ride Rt66 before the end of Sept.
    [​IMG]

I like old fashioned diners.
    [​IMG]

Even though I thought I wanted fish and chips I had a stuffed sandwich instead. It was yummy.
    [​IMG]

When I see interesting Post Offices I always think of MortimerSickle (RIP :cry). I used to try and get at least one picture of a Post Office every time I went riding for his thread: https://advrider.com/f/threads/go-postal-pics.143102/page-163
    When he passed away I stopped doing it but I might just start again in his memory.
    [​IMG]

I like bridges with arches.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

What a great tree house, it's a smaller version of the main house.
    [​IMG]

Being on the wet side of Washington on a clear day with blues skies is beautiful.
    [​IMG]

There's MT Rainier again.
    [​IMG]

The day was over and I settled into my room. When I headed out on this ride I planned to do it as a motel ride with no camping. There are advantages to motels, like the private shower, but I do enjoy camping for the advantages of being outside instead of in a room.

Day three coming up next . . .
  5. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    5-15-21 Day 3

My plan for the day was to start the day by viewing Snoqualmie Falls. I've seen it before but that was many years ago and I would like to see it again, just because. As I got close I was please that traffic was very light so I thought things would be good to go. Nope, when I got to the parking area it was full and drivers were all over the place not really paying attention to other vehicles. It took me about two seconds to decide to get the heck out of there.

I rode on to the town of Issaquah, WA to one of the ToH checkpoints. I wasn't sure where it was and again there was quite a bit of traffic so I pulled into a parking lot to go looking on foot since I knew I was close. I found this:
    [​IMG]

I learned about their sister city and the door.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is a museum here but it wasn't open.
    [​IMG]

I took the time to enjoy the flowers.
    [​IMG]

There's the pic for the ToH checkpoint.
    [​IMG]

The ToH checkpoint is behind an Assisted Living Home and this sculputer is at the entrance.
    [​IMG]

Issaquah embraces its railroad history.
    [​IMG]

On to Duvall, WA
    [​IMG]

I thought it might be fun to check out Duvall but it was busier than I wanted to deal with.

On to the next ToH checkpoint.
    [​IMG]

It took me a bit to figure out where the memorial was then I saw the flags off in the distance but I couldn't get to it. There was construction and a lot of traffic with it being at a lake so I decided to pass it up and return for it at another time.

It wasn't too far and there was another checkpoint and it was much more peaceful.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Those checkpoints took me all day and I really wasn't having that much fun. I'm not a fan of riding in traffic.

5/16/21 Day 4 Headed Home

One of the things I was looking forward to on this ride was the ride home over the North Cascade Highway. No matter how many times I have been over it I still love the views.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oooooooo a waterfall
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was hoping for a tunnel of snow to ride through but I was too late. There was only a little bit of snow left on the side of the road.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like roads like this where it feels like I'm riding right into the mountain.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Usually, when I ride the N. Cascade Hwy I stop at the Washington viewpoint but it was still snowed shot. I did get a good view of this even without being able to go to the vewpoint.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think this was an over the shoulder shot.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Methow River.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Getting close to Coulee Dam.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Riding past the canola fields indicated I would be home soon.
    [​IMG]

Usually, my rides provide me with a great time but this one wasn't as much fun as I usually have. I guess they can't all be spectacular. At least I did see some pretty views and I did like that.

A few weeks later I would be going to Oregon to get the ToH checkpoints there and I will be back to tell you about that. :ricky
  6. Shady Pass David

Oddometer:
    I was thinking of heading over the North Cascades this week, but now it's closed...Fires...Sheesh, too many going on...Headed for a short trip to Lake Kachess tomorrow..
    Gonna sit on the beach with a cold ale, no robo calls......Eh?
    Ladybug likes this.
  7. LC Garage

LC Garage On Any Sunday Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did not know Mortimer was an old post office enthusiast. Now I'll take a keener interest in the old ones I see. Just like flowers, when I'm riding and see flowers, I think of you and want to stop and take pictures. My friend Bill has also adopted you're flower habit. You're a good influence!

:D
    B10Dave, Hiff-Hiffs and Ladybug like this.
  8. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    After doing all but one of the WA Tour of Honor sites it was time to take on OR and get those checkpoints.

This was working out great since there had been a meetup thread started in PNWet for the SW corner of Oregon. I thought that would be a good opportunity to meet a few of the folks from that area and grab some checkpoints. I was in contact with @sector and we had a plan.

6/1/2021
    My ride plan was created and I was off and riding. The weather was gorgeous as I rode through the Turnbull Nat'l Wildlife Refuge. I spotted a few birds but no animals, it was the wrong time of day I suppose.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know roads like this are fairly boring to most riders but I enjoy them as long as it's not all the time.
    [​IMG]

Riding roads like that makes me look forward to curves in the road.
    [​IMG]

When riding through the farm country of the Palouse you never know what you will spot mounted on a post.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yep, I really was enjoying the road. The temperatures were about perfect in the mid 70s to low 80s. Things were fresh and clean.
    [​IMG]

Every so often the road would disappear......WHHHEEEEEEeeeeeeeee!
    [​IMG]

Apparently, there is good fishing in Rock Lake and there are a few mysteries associated with the lake. The lake is deep and has taken lives. Of course with any lake of this type, there is the rumor of a monster in it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Taking the scenic route letting my GPS do the guiding. I often find some terrific roads this way. Most of the time I don't do this unless I'm alone since many people don't care for it when their leader doesn't know where they are going or where they are. :lol3 :ricky
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Winona, WA Ghosttown.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

For some reason "grain trains" make me smile. I'm easily amused.
    [​IMG]

The bridge across the Snake River at Central Ferry.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Jolly Green Giant just outside of Dayton, WA
    [​IMG]

I stopped for a ToH checkpoint In Elgin, OR.
    "Elgin is a truly Western town, tamed and settled by trappers and named after Lady Elgin, a steamship that sunk on Lake Michigan on September 8, 1860 with a loss of 300 lives."

I thought this was the checkpoint but it wasn't.
    [​IMG]

I'm glad I stopped to check it out anyway.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the other side of the park was the checkpoint I needed. “This Memorial is dedicated to All the Men and Women of the Armed Forces from our community who served their Country, Union County VFW.”
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

From the ToH page: "Also in the park is a 1910 Fuel Tank Hauler that was used in World War I to supply the new Sherman Tanks. The tanker was drawn by 10-12 horses and was originally made here for farm use".
    [​IMG]

I also learned: "If you were to extend a line from Anaheim, California’s Disneyland 810 miles absolutely due north, it would land in the middle of Elgin, Oregon. Very few populated places north of southern California are on this line. The alignment in Elgin is between 9th Avenue and 10th Street, which brings Elgin's turn-of-the-century Opera House into very close alignment with Disneyland's 1955 representation of it’s turn-of-the-century, small town Opera House. Fittingly, Main Street, U.S.A. is Disneyland's depiction of small town America."
    [​IMG]

By this point, the day had warmed up a bit and it wasn't as comfortable to stop and check things out as it was earlier but that was OK. My next stop was in Baker City, OR for the evening visiting with @LC Garage & Little Red. I always enjoy time with them.
  9. LC Garage

LC Garage On Any Sunday Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Love your reports, always learn something new. And we enjoy your visits, too! :D
    Ladybug likes this.
  10. Shady Pass David

Oddometer:
    As L/C said....You are fun to read.......:-)...............
  11. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Thanks, it's nice to know you are enjoying my travels.
  12. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    6/2/21

The day started with a yummy breakfast with @LC Garage and Little Red. They were headed out that morning for a trip of their own but yet they took the time to have breakfast with me. :raabia

As I was leaving Baker City there was a plume of smoke coming up next to the interstate. There are some older trailers down there and it looked like one of them was burning.
    [​IMG]

Apparently, I passed LC Garage and Little Red somewhere on the interstate but didn't realize it was them. They were in their RV and in my mind just another white RV out there. If they had been on their bike I would have paid more attention to who I was passing. :lol3

I stopped in Ontario, OR for a ToH checkpoint. This one wasn't in a spot that I could park right in front of it. It's in the distance.
    [​IMG]

If you're not able to get a shot with the bike in front of the monument two pics are required. One with the bike as close as you can get it and then another with the monument.

World War II Veterans Memorial – Dedicated to the Memory of those who made the Supreme Sacrifice and in Honor of those Who Served in the Armed Forces of our country in World War II, 1941-1945.
    [​IMG]

The nice part of the Oregon ToH sites is the person that put them together also included information about the location. The WA ones had tips on places to eat and a few museums but I like the info the Oregon ones had better.

"Ontario came into being because it was along the Oregon Trail from the east. With settlers came the cattle, then the railroad. The railroad and cattle still play an important part in this community.
    The ease of living and outdoor recreation heads the list of why people stay today. So if you need some down time, the fishing is great in the Snake River which runs through the area with motels right along the water area."
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't know where this was but I thought it was interesting looking.
    [​IMG]

Following the river and enjoying the ride.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another straight road but there is a mountain ahead.
    [​IMG]

Millican, OR There's an Off-Road area south of here.
    [​IMG]

It was hot and a bit windy when I found the camp area where I planned to stop. I didn't know anything about it when I made my plan and it was flat, no trees, no grass, just out in the brush. I decided to reconsider where to stop for the night and continued on to Madras, OR. During my ride there I didn't spot anything I wanted to take pics of which is unusual for me.

6/3/21
    I made up for the lack of pictures from the day before on this day. :D

After a good night's sleep, I headed to the ToH waypoint in Madras. The monument blends in with the tree so this wasn't a very good shot.
    [​IMG]

"Statue in Memory of PFC Thomas Tucker and honoring all those who serve. Madras HS graduate PFC Tucker-101st Airborne was brutally murdered by Al-Qaida in Iraq in 2006 when manning a checkpoint south of Baghdad. His memorial was attended by 2,500 at the fairgrounds in Redmond."
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

to try to get the shot I parked in a No Parking area in front of the Police Dept. I was only there a few minutes so I got away with it.
    [​IMG]

Riding along on the clear day I was treated to views of the snow-covered mountains.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Might as well stop.
    [​IMG]

When I pulled up to the pay station the Park Ranger suggested I ride to the top of the butte. When it's prime tourist season you can't drive up there and the only way up is hiking or by shuttle bus. Of course, I rode up.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like the red road, the black lava rocks, and the green trees.
    [​IMG]

At the top, there were more views of the mountains.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a manned lookout at the top of the butte.
    [​IMG]

Information about the butte.
    [​IMG]

Headed back down I could see some of the lava beds.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's amazing what volcanos are able to do to the terrain.
    [​IMG]

Cresent, OR welcoming committee.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From this angle, it looks like the beer is pouring on Big Foot. :lol3
    [​IMG]

I stopped for fuel and this was across the street. It looked like it was a good time to have lunch. Actually, the fresh-baked pies were what caught my attention. I had lunch but they didn't have any pies that day, which was for the best.
    [​IMG]

Even though the road is straight and looks boring I knew it wouldn't be long until things would change.
    [​IMG]

This is where I was headed.
    [​IMG]

Not starting off very exciting.
    [​IMG]

I wondered about this terrain with trees spotted here and there but everything else was bare.
    [​IMG]

Things were cooling down.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brrrrrrr
    [​IMG]

There's the lake.
    [​IMG]

Crater Lake with Wizard Island showing.
    [​IMG]

The water is super blue because it comes from snow or rain -- there are no inlets and there is no sediment or minerals come from other water sources.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The bike is waiting.
    [​IMG]

I wanted to ride through a snow tunnel this year and this is as close to it as I got.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stopped at a viewpoint
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time to ride again.
    [​IMG]

The campground where I stayed that night is there to the right.
    [​IMG]

I liked my camp and even though the campground filled up the sites had a good distance between them.
    [​IMG]

My spot was freshly raked. For some reason that fascinated me.
    [​IMG]

I discovered my site was right next to the river. When I rode around looking for a campsite I didn't realize there was a river.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was very enjoyable watching the sky get dark over the river and listening to it during the night.
    [​IMG]
  13. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Excellent pics LB. Thanks. The Tour of Honor stops are very interesting. Don't have anything like that here.
    Ladybug likes this.
  14. LadyFish4

LadyFish4 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi there, Ladybug. I'm sure enjoying the latest posts and stories. I used to do something similar called "The Dam(n) Tour". It hasn't been around for quite awhile now. It was a lot of fun and would take me down roads and to out of the way places I had not been to nor had even thought of going. I'll be looking into this for next year. And, I'm looking forward to more of your story. Thanks for sharing!
    LC Garage likes this.
  15. Hiff-Hiffs

Hiff-Hiffs Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like so much fun! We did Crater Lake a couple years ago and it was so stunning. It was weird coming into the park and it looking all flat and baren before hitting the climb up to the Crater.
    Ladybug likes this.
  16. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Ladybug.

Thanks again for sharing your adventures. I would love to see bigger versions of your pictures in your posts if possible. My eyes are not working so well anymore.

Is that your new tent I see??

[​IMG]
  17. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    They have this tour every year and use different monuments each year. It's a good way to see different places and learn about them.

Yes! I did the Dam(n) Tour one year and it was a lot of fun. I like the Grand Tour type of self guided tours just for the reason you mentioned, they take you to out-of-the-way places. With that, I will say I have done a couple where the organizers didn't confirm their checkpoints and instead just picked spots from a map, those weren't so good. One was super frustrating since the "town" I was supposed to go to didn't exist. :lol3 I'm a lot more careful about the ones I do now and where the money goes is also a concern. The profit from the ToH goes to charities. At about the middle of the page it shows who the funds go to: https://www.tourofhonor.com/

I'd only been to Crater Lake once before and that time I came up from the south and it is more forested that way. I was surprised by the flat baren land riding to Crater Lake too. I love things like that because it's like a huge surprise after riding through the flat baren land. Palouse Falls here in WA is like that, a huge surprise after riding through basically nothingness.

Nope, not my new tent. I haven't camped in it yet but I know it's going to be a little slice of luxury. Expensive but I think I will more than get my money out of it.

I use SmugMug and select the M size. I will try the L size for the next post and see what happens. I don't want the pics to be too big but just for you I will try it.
    LC Garage likes this.
  18. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    6/4/21
    The nice thing about this day is when I got up I was looking forward to meeting up with Sector later in the day and I had plenty of time to get to our meet-up camp. It was only about a 100-mile ride so I took things easy and enjoyed the flowers along the way. Destination: Alemeda Park Campground on the Rogue River which is just a few miles from Galice, OR.

Before I left camp I spend a little more time enjoying the river. This is the Rogue River so I will be following it and camping near it again later in the day.
    [​IMG]

I saw a sign so I stopped to take a look.
    [​IMG]

Stopping here provided a little bit of an education.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I saw this I made a note to return one day, camp and spend more time hiking.
    [​IMG]

I wasn't wearing the right shoes for walking very far but I still got a good stroll in.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just down the river a bit there was a sign for Natural Bridge so of course, I needed to stop. At the last stop I didn't take my jacket off before I went wandering around since I didn't think I was going to walk very far. I didn't make that mistake at this stop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The water was very pretty. The PNW has so much pretty water and I never get tired of it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty much at the end of the trail was this memorial for someone.
    [​IMG]

Walking back I took the opportunity to get another shot of the cave.
    [​IMG]

Riding again and there were flowers to enjoy along the way.
    [​IMG]

I stopped for coffee. So many places needing employees and they can't get people to work. I discovered there wasn't inside seating so I wouldn't have my coffee here.
    [​IMG]

Moving along I found the Red Robin and they had inside seating so I decided to have lunch with my coffee.
    [​IMG]

I rode around a bit to see what is around Grants Pass. It's a long story so I won't go into it here but my father who didn't raise me and I hadn't seen since I was 20 lived in Grants Pass. It's a nice town and area so I understand why he lived there.
    [​IMG]

The rocks were sparkling in the sun.
    [​IMG]

Smiling flowers.
    [​IMG]

When I arrived in camp Sector was already there. The campsite she had reserved was next to the river but there wasn't any shade and it was hot.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sector went and ask the camp host if we could move to a cooler site. They were good with that and she moved her bike to the new spot.
    [​IMG]

After getting settled we headed to Galice for dinner.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The food was awesome but there was way too much. I ended up leaving about 3/4 of behind. We sat on the deck overlooking the river and enjoyed listening to the live music with our dinner.
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately, a few days later the resort burned down.
    https://theworldlink.com/news/local...cle_6defde58-ca09-11eb-bbcd-df20dcde425b.html

After we got back to camp we did a selfie of the two of us.
    [​IMG]

Other people in the area were invited to join us at camp however it was a bit of a last-minute thing and no one else showed up.

It was a nice evening visiting. We have known each other for a number of years but have never had the opportunity to spend quality time together as we did here at camp.
  19. Ken Lines

Ken Lines Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey, Ladybug. Just looked in for the first time in a while. Great to see you are still riding the trails. Ken (Lines), Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire UK.
    Ladybug likes this.
  20. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Hi Ken, long time no contact. I hope all is well in your world.