Riding, Geocaching and Exploring . . . .

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Ladybug, Jun 9, 2013.

1. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lots of snow him them thar hills. Snow is pretty if you don't have to ride "in it". haha
    N-Id-Jim and Ladybug like this.
  2. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Crater Lake is beautiful except when it's shrouded in forest fire smoke like it was the last time I ws there. More snow... :)
    Ladybug likes this.
  3. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    6/5/21

Sector and I packed up at a leisurely pace and headed toward the Oregon coast, via Bear Camp Road. Bear Camp is a fun road to ride but you have to watch for frost heaves and rafting company van moving right along. Don't cut the corners especially those blind ones.

Back through Galice.
    [​IMG]

Ah yes, there were flowers to enjoy on the hillside.
    [​IMG]

We stopped to decide what we were doing next.
    [​IMG]

It was decided we would head for lunch.
    [​IMG]

Fish and Tater Tots, yummy but again there was too much.
    [​IMG]

After lunch Sector returned south toward her home in Gold Beach and I headed North. The two days before had been hot, in the 90s now I was riding next to the ocean and it was cold. I don't know what the temperature was but with the way it felt, I'm guessing, 60 and below. I figured I was in good shape because I had my electric jacket liner. I was wrong, I discovered the connection wire was broken so there was no power to it. Brrrrrr :vardy

The ocean was pretty with the tide being up but I didn't stop, I just wanted to get to the next checkpoint in Florence, OR. I took some pictures on the fly but they all turned out boring and not that good.

As I was riding to Florence I was noticing one "campground full" sign after another. With being cold I wanted to stop but it wasn't looking like camping was going to be an option. In Florence I headed for the Oregon Coast Military Museum which was one of the checkpoints. I thought I was going to be able to check out the museum but it was closed because of Covid :doh

The parking lot was empty so it was a good place to take a break and warm up a bit. I got the waypoint pics while there too.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the shot I figured would work since the shot they were showing as the required spot would have me parked in a bicycle lane and I didn't want to do that. The museum's name is on the wall and the bike with the bike is showing.
    [​IMG]

The next stop was to be at Nehalem, OR but I wasn't sure I was going to make it that far so I started watching for places to stay. There sure were a lot of "no vacancy" signs out. As I was riding through Yachats, I saw a vacancy sign with the price at $89. A bit more than I wanted to pay but not bad along hwy 101. I thought about it for a minute, turned around, went back and got a room. Bonus, it had a view of the ocean.

I called it a day.
  4. Shady Pass David

Shady Pass David Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have you traveled up to Lakes Paulina and East Lake?....Swell campgrounds up there and cooler than down mountain..I've traveled the Rogue from Crater Lake to the ocean as you and it is well worth it!:clap..............
  5. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    I haven't been to Paulina or East Lake, one of these days I'll probably get to them.
  6. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    6/6/21 and home.

When I got up in the morning I decided not to ride to Nehalam as I originally planned. There is a ToH checkpoint there but I decided it could wait until later in the summer. The ride was fairly uneventful other than still being cold. When I saw this it seems about right.
    [​IMG]

When I checked the map I decided to ride hwy 18 since I have only ridden it one other time. Shortly after leaving Hwy 101 is Otis, OR and I stopped for gas.
    [​IMG]

It was nice to find the price was about 10 cents a gallon less than it was on Hwy 101.
    [​IMG]

For many years I had heard about the great breakfasts that the Otis Cafe served and luckily I did get to experience one of those breakfasts the one time that I rode Hwy 18. A few years back the Otis Cafe burned down. It has been rebuilt on Hwy 101 in Lincoln City and I'm sure it has plenty of business but it can't be the same as the original.

The Otis Cafe was across the street from the gas station and I noticed there is something happening there. It would be nice if it opened back as the Otis Cafe.
    [​IMG]

Riding on I went to Forest Grove, OR to visit friends then on home the next day.

The ride was about 1300 miles and I didn't get all the ToH site. In Oregon, I still have Nehalem, one in downtown Portland and one near Silverton. I still have one more in WA too and I figured a big loop could get all three when I get ready to finish up.
  7. Ken Lines

Ken Lines n00b

Oddometer:
    Still hanging on here. No longer riding though. Crashed at Cadwell Park (Three days in hospital) - on an advanced track riding course! The after effects meant Supersports bikes were no longer comfortable to ride so I changed over to a Fazer8 ABS for a few years, suitably farkled with carbon fibre and a nice GP exhaust. Finally at 82 I was getting dazzled a lot when night riding (cataracts starting) and, as most of my rides ended at night, I hung up my leathers. That was a few years ago now. Still fairly fit and healthy and getting around in a Mazda 3 TS2.
    Couldn't get onto this site for a while but have always looked in from time to time, in the end I used the 'lost password' route. Great to see you are still riding. Best wishes. Ken.
    N-Id-Jim, Ladybug and gpfan like this.
  8. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    That's too bad about your crash. Riding until your 80s is pretty danged cool! :clap
  9. Ken Lines

Ken Lines n00b

Oddometer:
    I still miss my bikes and my spine still tingles when I hear a Supersports howling down the long back straight a few hundred yards away from my yard. Who knows, I'm still fairly young at heart its only the body that weakened. I'd love just one more track day or maybe an off-road day in the Welsh Mountains or the Scottish Highlands. This was my last bike back in 2016 Fazer11.JPG .
    N-Id-Jim, B10Dave, SoPaRider and 2 others like this.
  10. redog1

redog1 KTM 950se old fart

Oddometer:
    Hey Ladybug, been awhile but thought I'd check in. Nice ride. Love the Crater Lake area, been there a couple of times on the bike. Looks like I need to do some more exploring in southern Oregon. Take care and ride safe.:-)
    Ladybug likes this.
  11. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Hi @redog1 :wave
    Nice to see you pop in. I hope all is well in your world.

Hi Everyone who is sticking with this.
    This thread is probably going to sit for a bit while I'm out riding. I'll update it come winter when I have more time.

In a few days, I'm headed East to see the start of the Motorcycle Cannonball then to ride Rt66. After I get to LA I don't know if I will head north home or east to Texas. I'll decide when I get there. :D
  12. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have a great trip Ladybug. Take lots of pics and give us the updates when you can. Especially of interest are the Cannonball bikes so keep your camera shutter active. Thanks......Dave.....:lurk
    Ladybug likes this.
  13. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Will do. Those Cannonball bikes are beyond belief. It's so amazing knowing the 90+ year old bikes travel across the United States.
    klaviator, LC1 and B10Dave like this.
  14. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    I had a request for me to share my route and I'll detail it as much as I can here. This isn't a complete detailed route but the basics.

Today I arrived in Sault Ste Marie, MI to watch the start of the Motorcycle Cannonball. Tomorrow they take a short ride then all the riders line up with their bikes for a group photo. Friday they head out on their cross country journey.

To get here from E. WA I wanted to make time but stay off the interstate as much as possible following these hwys: 200, 12, 28, 23, 77, & 28

From here I'm not sure yet. It will depend on the weather. If the rain and wind slows down I will ride to the first two Cannonball day ends. If the rain and wind is still going strong I don't think I will go that way. The Mackinaw Bridge is on the way to the first stop over and I don't think I want to ride over it in the wind that was blowing today. If I don't go there I will head to Wausau, WI to say hi to my sister before heading to Chicago.

Another option might be going to Wausua even if I follow the Cannonball for a couple days. If the Harley shop can get my bike in to install heated grips I will go there to have it done so I can see family for a day.

Once I get that all figured out I will head to Chicago to start the RT66. My plan is to ride as much of the oldest section as I can find. If that section isn't available it will be the next to the oldest section, then the next. I will be stopping a lot to see things. I like old buildings and such.

In Los Angeles after the end I will probably head to TX. That route won't be straight forward since there are things I want to see along the way. I want to go to the Organ Pipe Cactus Nat'l Monument, Carlsbad Caverns, Terlingua, TX, Big Bend National Park, and Langtry, TX
  15. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have a great trip LB. And as I asked before, please; lots of pics of the Cannonball bikes. And also of the rest of your trip as well. Safe and interesting travels..........Dave..:lurk
    Ladybug likes this.
  16. Shady Pass David

Shady Pass David Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have Fun!..............:clap..................
  17. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I'll get tons of Cannonball bikes but for some reason my pics on my camera won't transfer to this computer. It doesn't have a disc reader and the cord doesn't work for some reason. I'll research it later today to see if I can figure out what the issue is.

At the very least I will grab a few pics with my cell phone so I can share a few tonight and tomorrow night.

Once I get home I will be able to share the rest of the Cannonball pics and everything else.

Today is a lazy day as well as taking time to go through everything and send some stuff back home. I need more room for t-shirts. :lol3 It will be easier to pack up each day without being packed so tight and I have duplicates of things because I packed much of the stuff a few months back and forgot that I packed some things already. I'm thinking I don't need four flashlights even if they are small and I certainly don't need 2 tent stake hammers - - - sheesh, there are other things too.

This first week has been a good shake down.

I have learned a lot about this Harley I bought a few years ago. I'm amazed at how stable it is at high speed (I wasn't paying attention and it was cruising at 90mph while I was riding happily down the road clueless). It doesn't get shoved around in high winds like every bike I have ever owned before. I didn't realize how hard the side winds were until the wind lifted my tank bag. Meanwhile the bike tracked down the road upright and not leaned over like other bikes do in the wind. Amazing!!! Oh yeah, I can touch flat footed on this bike and yesterday I finally realized I might be able to back up while sitting on the bike just like real bikers. I tried it and I could do it. :clap I have never been able to do this since I have never had a bike I could flat foot. I spent the last week still backing it up off the bike because I didn't realized I could do it sitting on the bike. :lol3 This is huge for me.

I won't give up my taller bikes but I sure do like this flat foot thing. :D

The weather is nice today with blue sky and no wind so I might just be crossing the Mackinac Bridge tomorrow. I'm excited to cross that bridge but I wasn't going to do it in the rain and wind even if my bike does handle well in those conditions.
  18. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can you pronounce Wausau, WI?? Ha ha!

Cheers!
  19. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Yep, my sister taught me, now I'm teaching her how to pronounce things like Pend Oreille. :D
    B10Dave and N-Id-Jim like this.