Riding, Geocaching and Exploring . . . .

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Ladybug, Jun 9, 2013.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Corn dogs were standard carnival/fair fare back in the 1950s midwest and, as you've suggested, everybody and their uncle claimed to have invented them.
  2. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    That's very cool.
  3. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    With still not being able to download the pics from my camera it seems like I'm missing a lot of this ride. As I mentioned before I will do a complete ride report this winter and post a link here for those who are interested.

The riding each day was a lot less miles than I thought I would be riding but I was having a lot of fun and I didn't care. Being able to take my time on a ride like this has been a luxury.

9-20-21
    9-20-21a.jpg

I met friends at Culvers about 20 miles west of St. Louis and I enjoyed a bit of frozen custard which isn't common in the PNW.
    9-20-21.jpg

My friends invited me to stay at their house and it had been years since I had seen them so it was wonderful to see them.

One of the things I really wanted to do is see the St. Louis Arch and go to the top. The only problem was that I didn't want to park my bike in downtown St. Louis with all my gear on it as I went to the Arch so I didn't think I would see it.

My friends were concerned that I was getting too tired and I needed to stay another day and get some rest. I really was doing fine but it felt very nice to have someone care about me.

9-21-22
    With staying an extra day they offered to take me to the Arch. :clap That morning it rained, hard, so I was glad I hadn't taken off on my bike that morning and it was good to be in a car. The rain stopped about the time we got to down town St. Louis.
    9-21-21.jpg

This is the type of pod that takes people to the top of the Arch. It seats 5 which would be a bit crowded. Only two of us went up so we had plenty of room.
    9-21-21a.jpg

My friends are a couple I met many years ago back in the early days of AOL and the message boards. There are a handful of us that have met in real life and we have stayed in touch all these years. We're spread all over, but we see each other every so often. I cherish the friends I met there like I do the friends I have made on ADV.

9-22-21
    This was a fun stop seeing all the touristy stuff.
    9-22-21.jpg

9-22-21a.jpg

One of the many old RT66 bridges.
    9-22-21b.jpg

9-22-21c.jpg

9/23/21
    City Hall and Liquor Store all in one.
    9-23-21a.jpg

It sure would have been fun to drive RT66 in it's heyday.
    9-23-21b.jpg

I walked to the end of the bridge and back, just because.
    9-23-21c.jpg
  4. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Last set of photo's are awesome!
    B10Dave and Ladybug like this.
  5. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Thank you.
  6. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    9/24/21 more RT66 fun.

When gathering info about different places along RT66 this was listed as abandoned. It no longer is and is now someone's home.
    9-24-21.jpg

This is still empty with a tree growing out of the roof area. I don't think it will be restored or turn into a home.
    9-24-21b.jpg

Artists get creative with things along the route.
    9-24-21c.jpg

Another building with a tree growing out of it.
    9-25-21.jpg

I like the old motels that had carports or garages next to the rooms.
    9-25-21a.jpg

9-25-21b.jpg

9-25-21c.jpg

Seeing cars and trucks with goofy smiles make me smile. Here's is one of the firetrucks for @Bob.
    9-25-21d.jpg

Rainbow Bridge. I snapped this shop then headed to the other side of the bridge so I could ride over it. It's a one way bridge. Just as I was getting on the bike I saw a pickup club come to the bridge for a photo shoot. I decided I would go kill a bit of time and return later.
    9-25-21e.jpg

I had seen this on the way to the Rainbow Bridge and returned to check it out and get a few pics.
    9-25-21f.jpg

When I returned to the bridge it was full of vintage pickups just sitting there. I thought they were working on their photo shoot but they were actually working on one of the pickups. They didn't move the other trucks to let others through, they just clogged the bridge. They were friendly and offered bottles of water to people waiting, but they didn't budge from the bridge. It was fun looking at the pickups and talking with people but I didn't get to ride over the bridge.
  7. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    LB. not sure of your issue with getting the pictures from your camera. I just remove the SD card and plug it into a generic multi card reader and then plug that into a usb port on my computer. Easy to put into a folder from there. Card readers are cheap at places like Wally World. Loving the latest phone pics.
  8. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    There really isn't a big issue other than the computer I have with me is full so it doesn't have room to bring in the pics. I forgot why I stopped using it, I remembered when I tried to download the pics. The small laptop only has 4 GB of memory. I went looking for a small laptop to take on my bike with me and rather than doing my own research I took the word of the salesperson.... I told him I would be using it for internest, mapping, and photos. He asked if I did gaming and when I said no, he told me this would be perfect. :lol3 My idea of pics is a lot different than his I guess.

Once I loaded mapsource, and MS Office on it there wasn't much left. At least there is enough left to get the pics from my phone. On my camera I take a lot of shoot on the fly pics. Many of them get deleted but I go through them to find the good ones.

I'll be home at the end of the month and will be able to do what I do with my camera photos.

Thanks for following along and the tip for downloading pics.
    HSWINK, B10Dave and MasterMarine like this.
  9. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You don't need to download the pics from the SD card to your laptop. Just plug in the SD card to your laptop and post them directly from the SD card.
    Ladybug and B10Dave like this.
  10. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    9/25/21 and 9/26/21

Lincoln's Tomb. I wasn't going to stop for all the historical sites in Springfield, IL but when I realized I was just a few blocks from his tomb I wanted to stop.
    One day I will return and spend more time there. My list of places to return to and spend more time is getting longer and longer.

9-25-21g.jpg

The Blue Whale, in Oklahoma.
    9-26-21.jpg

An interesting stop.
    9-26-21a.jpg

When I stopped to take the pic above and look at the bridge I heard voices coming from under the bridge. I didn't see anyone on the bank fishing so I can only assume the voices were coming from the bridge trolls. I moved the bike to this end and took a few pics.
    9-26-21b.jpg

Chandler, OK - Too bad the museum wasn't open.
    9-27-21.jpg

This museum was open and I spent some time there.
    9-27-21a.jpg

Working at getting the perfect RT66 sign with my bike.
    9-27-21b.jpg

9-27-21c.jpg

This building is taken care of even though it no longer has a roof. There is a solar light to light the flag at night and there are flowers growing on the window sills.
    9-27-21d.jpg

Old round barn.
    9-27-21e.jpg

I really liked this statue and mural.
    9-27-21f.jpg
    SoPaRider, B10Dave, popscycle and 5 others like this.
  11. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    9/28/21 My last day of this portion of RT66. It was my birthday, turning 67 and while I was able to enjoy part of RT66 while I was 66 I wasn't able to ride the complete route while I was 66. With everything that happened in the last two years I didn't think I would be able to do any of it so I am thrilled to do what I did.

Entering Texas I had to stop at Big Texan since my friend, Barry, has been telling me about it for years.
    9-28-21a.jpg

Since I like silly things this was a perfect spot for me.
    9-28-21b.jpg

9-28-21c.jpg

Everything in Texas is bigger, including the food portions. This was my birthday lunch. I normally don't eat prime rib but this was a special day so I had the smallest one they had. Very tasty. It's too bad I left at least half it because it was way too much food and being on a bike i really didn't have a way to take it with me.
    9-28-21d.jpg

My plan was to make it to Adrian, TX for the night. I made it and found the motel but there was a note on the door that the owner had gone to town for supplies and would be back in a while. Hmmmmmmm OK, I will be back "in awhile".
    9-28-21e.jpg

Any good birthday celebration needs a birthday desert (cake, pie, donuts what ever your favorite is). The cafe next to the motel was also closed....Sigh, so disappointing.

I decided to cross the freeway to the gas station and fill the bike for something to do while I waited for the motel owner to get back. The gas station has a freezer full of yummy ice cream treats so I had one. No candles but Happy Birthday to me, Happy Birthday to me . . . . :D
    9-28-21f.jpg

Back to main street and I parked my bike for the half way point photo op. Later looking at the pic I wish I would have had the bike more centered on the line but I like the photo anyway.
    9-28-21g.jpg

As I was taking the phot a man pulled up on his bike. We chatted for a bit and he offered to snap my pic on my bike. PERFECT! At least with the bike not being centered I didn't block the sign. I snapped a shot of him with his bike too, but not with my camera. I wasn't thinking and didn't get a shot of him.
    9-28-21h.jpg

The owner of the motel showed up, she is very nice and got me checked in. It was a pleasant stay and I'm glad I planned this for an overnight stop.

9/29/21
    The cafe was open when I got up and ready to roll so I enjoyed a terrific breakfast. I also purchased a midpoint t-shirt.

9-29-21.jpg

With it taking so long to get to the half way point and I was no longer 66 I decided to ride to Longview, TX, leave my bike at my friend's house and fly home. Barry, my friend, and I already planned to ride to Dayton Bike week in 2022 so this would remove the problem of getting my bike to TX at the end of Feb.

After Daytona Bike Week I will finish RT66 and then head north home.

Right now I'm still in Texas at my friends. It turned out if I booked round trip flight for 10/29/21 I got the flight for $275.00 and if I booked it for earlier in the month it was over $800.00. So, I'm enjoying time in TX and learning more about the area while I spend time with a good friend.
  12. KYMike

KYMike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wondered if you had started your RT66 ride. I hadn’t seen a ride report, and stumbled onto this today. Glad to see you were able to ride part of it while 66! I look forward to the RR when you get home.
  13. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Thank you @KYMike. Things don't always work out as planned but it's OK since it is all part of the adventure. I like the idea that I have the rest of it to look forward to in the spring.
    KYMike likes this.
  14. boyfester

boyfester Urban Explorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just discovered this thread and am subscribed. I love geocaching too.
  15. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    I've been enjoying my time in TX and even seeing a few things. I went to lunch with a friend and caught up with what she is doing.
    10-4-21 Dee Dee.jpg

Another day I went to the Harley dealership to watch mini bike races.

This guy reminded me of @rtwdoug, enjoying a cigarette while racing.
    10=9-21a.jpg

They were trying to flat track with rubber soled boots/shoes. #442 rounded the next corner and his shoe gripped as he was trying to slide, the rider and bike flipped. He was OK and got up and continued. The "race" only had these three riders and was short. There was supposed to be mini drags too but only one drag mini showed up.
    10=9-21b.jpg

It was fun to see Texas style mini bike races but it's nothing like the all day mini races we do in the PNW.

There was a truck load of new bikes that had been delivered the day before. There wasn't a Pan American in the bunch. The show room was a bit sparse compared to the Harley dealer in Spokane that is always full of shiny motorcycles waiting for their new home. Then again I haven't been in the Spokane Harley shop since last spring and it may be having shortages too.

It didn't take long and I was bored so I moved on.

On my way to Longview from RT66 I stopped north of Dallas to meet @EarsFlapping. We met for dinner and to my surprise she belonged to the same AOL motorcycle message board that I belonged to 20 or so years ago. Things like that were new back then but I made a number of friends from that board that I still see when the opportunity arises. I'm thrilled to add EarsFlapping to the list of friends from the AOL days as well as ADV.

While EarsFlapping and I were visiting we talked a little about her Indian Scout and I started getting more interested in taking a look at one. Since I was only a few miles from the Indian dealership when I was watching the mini bike races I decided to ride over there and take a look.

It's so pretty. My Harley isn't pretty.
    10=9-21f.jpg

10=9-21g.jpg

And it fits.
    10=9-21h.jpg

I really like the Scout but I don't plan on buying one, just yet. I will complete the RT66 ride on my Harley before considering buying a different bike.

Another update - - - While riding RT66 I decided when I get home I will go back to work. While retirement is nice enough I'm a bit lost without working. I am going back to the company I retired from but in a temporary position. This way come Feb. I will be able to leave again for a few months. If all works well, I will be able to continue to do this indefinitely. Holidays are always difficult there since people want time off. I'm willing to work those hours so I hope this works well for them and me.
  16. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    "The riding each day was a lot less miles than I thought I would be riding but I was having a lot of fun and I didn't care. Being able to take my time on a ride like this has been a luxury."

I know you've probably had a bit of BBQ while down there in Texas ... but those quoted words are a mouthful of wisdom ! Awesomeness..

Cheers !
    Ladybug likes this.