1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Riding Honduras

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by anderzen, Sep 7, 2006.

1. anderzen

anderzen Day Dreamer

Oddometer:
    This is my first take on traveling on a bike. I wanted to explore some of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place>Central America</st1:place> so I took a look at the map and decided to give <st1:country-region><st1:place>Honduras</st1:place></st1:country-region> a go. Before leaving <st1:place>Europe</st1:place> I found a German Company based in <st1:country-region><st1:place>Honduras</st1:place></st1:country-region> who where willing to rent me a Yamaha XT 600 for 2 weeks at a decent price – and of I went!

I started on the north coast in La Ceiba. First day I took a short trip up a dirt road following the river Rio Cangrejal that borders the <st1:place><st1:placeName>Pico</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName>Bonito</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>National Park</st1:placeType></st1:place>.

[​IMG]

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>On my way I ran in to a heavy tropical showers (rainy season) that blew the bike out like a candle (electric thing?). The bike refused to run until the rain got less severe.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p>[​IMG]</o:p>​
    I moved west along the coast to Tela to visit the nearby Carifuna villages.

[​IMG]

It did not take the local boys long to take command of my bike.

[​IMG]
    <st1:City><st1:place>Miami</st1:place></st1:City> is one tiny village situated on a small stretch of land between the <st1:place>Caribbean</st1:place> and a large Laguna.

[​IMG]
    Down town <st1:City><st1:place>Miami</st1:place></st1:City> consist of fifty or so huts along a deserted beach.

[​IMG]

From the cost I moved inland and down towards Lago Yojoa on pawed roads. The Pulhapanzak waterfall near the lake is pretty cool with a drop of 40 meters. The 20 km’s paved road to get there from the lake is good fun with nothing but curves and no traffic.

[​IMG]
    At lake Yojoa there was a surprising lack of other visitors. I got a small wooden bungalow at the Hotel Agua Azul and had my dinner in their big restaurant with tables for perhaps 100 people and there were no one but me and 3 waiters - it felt kind of spooky.

[​IMG]
    Just east of the lake is the national park Cerro Azul Meámbar (PANACAM). When I got to the visitors centre, again I found myself to be the only visitor around. The pretty girl at the information desk was so exited about giving her only visitor all the right info that she forgot to bill me the 6 dollar entry fee. The hiking in the park is good with well signed trails through hilly forest with nice viewpoints and small waterfalls.

[​IMG]
    From the lake I went on to the La Esperanza in the highlands of southern <st1:country-region><st1:place>Honduras</st1:place></st1:country-region>.

[​IMG]
    West of La Esperanza a 80 km dirt road leads on to Gracias at the foothills of Montaña Celaque - the highest mountain in <st1:country-region><st1:place>Honduras</st1:place></st1:country-region> at 2849 meters. The road goes through pine forest, farm country and tiny settlements.

[​IMG]

On this road my lack of off road skills got me down in the dirt.

[​IMG]
    Gracias is the perfect base to explore the Celaque national park and nearby small mountain villages.

[​IMG]

The area is all dirt roads through beautiful country scenery.

[​IMG]
    Celaque national park has some superior hiking through changing types of forest but it is hard work going up.

[​IMG]
    Belen Gualcho remotely situated in the mountains with a nice colonial church.

[​IMG]
    Life goes on with out much change in the small mountain villages.

[​IMG]
    From Gracias I moved on to Santa Rosa de Copan, and further on to Copan Ruinas by the Guatemalan border.

[​IMG]
    Finally I rode from Copan Ruinas back to La Ceiba to return “my” XT to the rightful owner.

[​IMG]
  2. SNOBDOC

SNOBDOC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fantastic pics, thank you for your sharing.
  3. Quetzal

Quetzal Guatemalan Import

Oddometer:
    Hey, congrats on your trip... You should visit Guatemala sometime too, but you'll need more time for that.

How many days did you take for that ride? Do you speak some Spanish? if not, tell us how did you managed to break the language barrier...

Can you post photos of Copán? Its a beautifull place!

Ride on!
  4. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Beautiful pics and report :thumb
  5. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Great pics. What kind of camera and lens?
  6. Deano955

Deano955 Insatiable

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I really like this one. The frames around the images are a nice touch too. Well done.
  7. NoHeat

NoHeat nØØb

Oddometer:
    Beautiful!

I didn't know what Honduras looked like. It's wonderful. You know that you definitely found special a place where other tourists don't go, when you are the only visitor around!
  8. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    Thank you.

I'd done some work in Belize, and driven around portions of the country, and just assumed that Honduras looked the same - but I was wrong. Very beautiful where you were.
  9. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's totally awsome:clap
  10. nitrotain

nitrotain NITROTAIN

Oddometer:
    I have a post here on EL SALVADOR ride reports and pictures I update often it is so much fun getting out in the hills of this little Central American country and I have had no problems here most crime is in the Capital but in araes that you know not to go, but get on a bike and go out into the country, just awsome adventure riding. We are going to go to Copan next month if I can get a few guys here to go.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149817
  11. Lobby

Lobby Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer:
    Finding that German company in Honduras was cool. That's an interesting way to travel.
  12. Uzay

Uzay Adventure Dreamer

Oddometer:
    Each of these pix are wallpapers, thanks for sharing:clap
  13. worldrider

worldrider Adventure & Discovery

Oddometer:
    ahhh. honduras. i remember it well. i didn't get as deep into the interior as you; but was ready for the beach.

[​IMG]

Just another beach shot from Honduras.

Great report and the ride musta been fun on that lightweight XT.. as another said, do Guatemala next! You'll love that, too!

Thanks for sharing.
  14. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in Supporter

Oddometer:
    indeed...Copan is yet another magical place of Central America....

hola Enrique..

great ride report anderzen..makes me long for honduras again....cheers

we managed to get 2 KLRs over to Roatan on the Galaxy ferry in La Cieba..fun stuff...
  15. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is an excellent report! Thanks!
  16. anderzen

anderzen Day Dreamer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the comments - glad you liked it!

Here is a few from Copan. The 70 km road from La Entrada to Copan Ruinas is good fun - lots of turns and nice scenery:

[​IMG]

And one from the laid back town:

[​IMG]

From the maya ruins:

[​IMG]

I don´t speak much spanish but it was no real problem. However I would like to have been able to speak more with people - especially in the small rural villages where no one speaks english.

Actually I did go to Antigua and Lago Atitlan (after I parted with the bike) - but I would love to see more of Guatemala.

The pics were taken with my trusty old Canon D30 (early model digital SLR) with 17-40mm/F4 L and 70-200mm/F4 L.

Sound like good fun - I never made it to Roatan, but went to Utila. Also there some people get thier bikes on the ferry, but there can´t be more than 10 kms of road on Utila.
  17. slideways

slideways España

Oddometer:
    They just put in a new fast ferry. The trip to Roatan\La Cieba is now only an hour. You no longer have to deal with Coxen Hell on arrival to Roatan as they also built a new modern ferry terminal in Dixon Cove.

Great ride report and beautiful pictures, For any motorcyclist Honduras has a lot to offer.
  18. tuumi

tuumi KLR -> Sprint

Oddometer:
    :clap
    Very Nice....Someday
  19. haggeo

haggeo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Before leaving <st1:place>Europe</st1:place> I found a German Company based in <st1:country-region><st1:place>Honduras</st1:place></st1:country-region> who where willing to rent me a Yamaha XT 600 for 2 weeks at a decent price – and of I went!

what company was this? do they have a website?
  20. anderzen

anderzen Day Dreamer

Oddometer:
    Yes:

http://www.maya-moto-tours.com/

Nice guys, they seem to take good care of their bikes. They also provided me with a small set of tools, spare tube, pump and tube repair kit.