Riding in Finland...or actually a month in Norway

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by MyTime, Oct 17, 2020.

1. MyTime

MyTime Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    EDIT: A NEW PART ADDED 2021 January 15th (see the last of this topic!)

We do like riding in the North, Viivi and I. Our previous 12-part story is here https://advrider.com/f/threads/davás-to-the-north-in-finland-and-in-norway.1415882/
    But now will start a ridereport of this years month in the North, again 12 parts and some extra parts. Each part in a new comment. As English is a foreign language, I will write short and add some pics -if you want to read and see more, there's always link to our blog - it's in Finnish but there is a translator on upper roght corner of each page.

A month in Norway: Prologue

We had planned to ride Norway from South to North, which means we should have ridden trough Sweden first. Because of the bad Covid-19 situation in Sweden at that time, we had to ride from Southern Finland to Northern Finland, then accross the border to Norway, then South and the back North.
    When riding trough Finland we visited first the Centre of Pessimism in the world, Puolanka and their new House of Pessimism. I guess it's something that can only exist only in Finland... a country that is said to have the happiest people. Of coures we deny it and say that all the other places are better despite any facts.
    The we visited Rovaniemi, which wasn't yet quite opened eventhough Covid-19 was gone at that time (it came back this Fall).
    The to the last frontiers in Kilpijärvi, we stayed in a glass-igloo. During the Summer the Sun dosn't set at all and the light in the night is so beautiful.

In the next part (part 1) we''l cross the border.

The whole story and all pics are here: https://www.vanhamoto.net/2020/10/kuukausi-norjassa-prologi-puolangan.html (in case you are an open minded person, please, go ahead and you may open even the hidden pics but if you get offended easily, don't - like in the sauna Finns are usually naked and in our opinion that's only natural)

Some sample pics here:

[​IMG]
    Suomi = Finland, Ruotsi = Sweden

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    In Finland we have reindeers, a lot of reindeers!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The rain got us

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    A northern pizza - reindeer and a special northern cheese on it.

[​IMG]
    The road to the glass-igloos

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    In the middle of the night there was some raining...

[​IMG]
    ...but in the morning it was nice to have a cup of coffee and see sky getting blue!
  2. MyTime

MyTime Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A month in Norway, PART 1: Mountains, Stiklestad and the hardest man on Earth (gets beaten badly)

A bit hard to translate this story but mountains are great, of course. Vikings were the toughest fighters and their leader Olav was the most tough of them, so he was the most tough man on earth, and everywhere people were afraid of them. Then they made one (1) attack to Finland and were beaten very badly, only few of them survived - vikings never attacked Finland again...
    The whole story and all pics here: https://www.vanhamoto.net/2020/10/kuukausi-norjassa-osa-1-vuoristoa.html

[​IMG]
    See the road continuing on top of this pic, getting up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Nice to meet new people...? :D

[​IMG]
    Viivi enjoying in Stiklestad
  3. CdnGS

CdnGS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Norway is a beautiful country. Their policewomen apparently are equally as beautiful. Cheers.
    :photog
    Carlo Muro likes this.
  4. live2ridetahoe

live2ridetahoe BSN, RN, CEN, TCRN, MICN Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great RR! In!!

Tahoe
  5. MyTime

MyTime Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A month in Norway, PART 2: Galdhøpiggen - you can't ride any higher in Northern Europe

Galdhøpiggen is the highest mountain in Northern Europe. There is a Summer Ski Center located quite high as there is always snow - but you can reach that place only during Summer time, otherwise there is too much snow. My health does not allow me to reach the top of that mountain (there is a café on top of that mountain!) but I was able to follow Viivi as high as one can ride with a motorcycle.
    This is a story/pictorial of the riding.

The whole story and all pics here: https://www.vanhamoto.net/2020/11/kuukausi-norjassa-osa-2-galdhpiggen.html (This time the hidden pics are more hidden than usually.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    At 1 km high there are no trees anymore

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Curves are (or they just feel...) tighter than they appear in these wide lens pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Enough snow in July

[​IMG] ¨

[​IMG]
    scudo, MrBob, Moto_Addict and 3 others like this.
  6. MyTime

MyTime Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A month in Norway, PART 4: Trollstigen

Where's part 3? Well, it's here https://www.vanhamoto.net/2020/11/kuukausi-norjassa-osa-3-lillehammerin.html but I forgot to post it. Now we have already part 4 ready.
    Trollstigen is said to be the most scary road in Norway. We don't know about that, but it's very popular among tourists. From valley to the mountain in few minutes! One mistake and there's a long way down but it won't take long...

The whole story and all pics here: https://www.vanhamoto.net/2020/11/kuukausi-norjassa-osa-4-se-trollstigen.html (This time the hidden pics are more hidden than usually.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a video!

willibauer, scudo, MrBob and 5 others like this.
  7. Essbee

Essbee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those roads are breathtaking! Thanks for sharing. What a dramatic landscape.
    MyTime likes this.
  8. live2ridetahoe

live2ridetahoe BSN, RN, CEN, TCRN, MICN Supporter

Oddometer:
    Amazing!
    MyTime likes this.
  9. RJ44

RJ44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stunning photos from your trip. Beautiful scenery and beautiful companion makes for an amazing trip. Thanks for sharing.

Rob
  10. MyTime

MyTime Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A month in Norway, PART 5: Atlantic Road and Molde, city of roses

The Atlantic Road is said to be one of the most dangerous roads in the world, but actually it's a nice road for a Sunday-ride - if the weather is fine. When storming, huge waves of Atlantic Ocean are hitting the travelers on the road.
    Molde is a nice little city, famous for roses and jazz.
    Viivi had a battle with water-guns and she lost (her clothes anyway... :D )

The whole story and all pics here: https://www.vanhamoto.net/2020/12/kuukausi-norjassa-osa-5-altlantin-vayla.html (This time the hidden pics are more hidden than usually.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Viivi riding to one of the bridges

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Several kilometers in a tunnel under the ocean
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ...before she lost the battle and got wet!
    scudo, AngusMcL, MrBob and 4 others like this.
  11. Moto_Addict

Moto_Addict Work less, Ride more!

Oddometer:
    Kiitos, että jaoit seikkailusi. Olet onnekas tutkimassa niin kaunista maata erittäin kauniin naisen kanssa. Kippis
  12. MrBob

MrBob Cisgendered Supporter

Oddometer:
    Riding through Norway is one of my dream trips, thanks for sharing. How much time should one allow for exploring that country.
    You and your wife look like you're having a lot of fun together. That is excellent.
    PHOTON PHIL likes this.
  13. hansen

hansen airhead addict

Oddometer:
    Three weeks for a brief impression, three months for some serious exploration. I've been travelling Norway since 1980 and I'm still discovering it. ;)
    MrBob likes this.
  14. AngusMcL

AngusMcL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great report and beautiful pics! I also enjoyed much of your linked blog on all your travels. Thanks very much for sharing!!

A.
  15. MyTime

MyTime Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A month in Norway, PART 6: Attack to Trondheim - a re-match from 1718

King of Sweden sent it's army against Trondheim 1718. Most of the soldiers were Finns as usual, and one of the officers was my greatgreatgreat...grand-father Erik. They didin't have any suitable weapons to attack the heavily armored fortress so they didn't. Most of their army froze dead in a month. Finns call it "a winter-trip to Norway", norwegians call it "The Great Northern War". So we attacked now and we did conquer Trondheim. A really nice place with a huge cathedral, one of the most beautiful anywhere.

The whole story and all pics here: https://www.vanhamoto.net/2021/01/kuukausi-norjassa-osa-6-trondheimin.html (hidden pics are still better hidden than they used to be)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    They were supposed to attack this fortress - without any cannons or any other heavy stuff... a fortress full of cannons! (This is just a part of the fortress)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Viivi was able to stand there, no-one else was...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    How to build a huge cathedral in less than a thousend years...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    - Sil, you ale in the Wong House!
    - Oh, sorry, we'll go out immediately!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Keepin' contact during trips is easy these days with videocalls etc.
  16. tonymarchman

tonymarchman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :-)Some people really know how to live! Thanks for letting me know what I am missing!!!
    MyTime likes this.
  17. PHOTON PHIL

PHOTON PHIL THe REAL poser

Oddometer:
    Where are the glass igloos please. My wife and I want to go there. TIA
  18. MyTime

MyTime Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are glass igloos in several areas in Lapland = Northern Finland, areas above Rovaniemi. We used one in Kilpisjärvi
    [​IMG]
  19. MyTime

MyTime Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A month in Norway, PART 7: Rock'n'Roll totally wet

Namsos is the root place of Norwegian rock'n'roll, so called trønderrock. Rock'n'roll is visible everywhere in the city. There is a lot more, too - especially the nature.
    No need to ride the bigger roads from Trondheim to Namsos as there are great curvy roads available. It was partly rainy when riding, totally raining in Namsos.
    Even Hitler is connected to the history of Namsos.
    Namsos - SOS man? Man in trouble? Men needed?

The whole story and all pics here: https://www.vanhamoto.net/2021/01/kuukausi-norjassa-osa-7-litimarkana.html (for openminded people only: hidden pics are still better hidden than they used to be)

[​IMG]
    Nice, small curvy roads among the mountains and the see.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    A narrow bridge

[​IMG]
    Speeding... keep the eyes on the road!

[​IMG]
    Another narrow bridge

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Rock City Namsos - Pudence was the biggest band there at the time, name is from the Beatles song "Dear Prudence" (history is found in the blog-text)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    In the rockmuseum

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Inside waiting the rain to stop...
    bbanker, willibauer, RJ44 and 3 others like this.
  20. willibauer

willibauer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great report, thanks!
    What would you say is the bsst time in year to ride there? And what are the temps then?
    I'd love to take a trip up there, I'm just a bit horrified by those reports where people drove for 3 weeks through the rain ;-)