Riding in Japan..

Discussion in 'Asia' started by TinMan.KC, Oct 17, 2008.

1. TinMan.KC

TinMan.KC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    One of our son's is in the Navy and has been stationed in Japan for the next few years.. SO and I are planning a trip there to visit at some point and I'd be looking to setup some form of ride while there. An end-to-end would be great, not sure of the logistics or time that wil be available...;-)
    Anyone on the list familar with riding in Japan, Bike rentals, etc?
    TIA
    TinMan.
  2. Guy Jinbaiquerre

Guy Jinbaiquerre Monorail Conductor

Oddometer:
  3. TinMan.KC

TinMan.KC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I'll check it out... Approximatly how long would it take to do "loop" of the Japan riding as much costal road as possible?
  4. Guy Jinbaiquerre

Oddometer:
    If you rode like hell and just blazed up and down the expressways and major roads, you could probably do a loop of the major islands (Kyushu, Shikoku, Honshu, Hokkaido) in a week. But what fun would that be? Most of the good twisties are in the mountainous middle parts, especially on Honshu, the biggest island. Here is an ongoing ride report from a guy who started doing an all-Japan tour about 5 weeks ago, and he's still going...

http://www.gaijinriders.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=2861
  5. CourtFisher

CourtFisher Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. TinMan.KC

TinMan.KC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's an IBA 'thing, I had to ask.. It all comes down to available time... Still doing the 9-5...;-( The ride report looks great, does fuel the fire. It's the same when riding the Alcan.. I'd love to have the time to do it slow and easy, but if a Hyper2R is what the time allows, at least I get a taste..;-)

Just starting the process, probably would be looking at a ride in '09-10 when we visit the kids\grandkids..

Thanks to all for the feed back, keep it coming.

TinMan.
  7. TinMan.KC

TinMan.KC Adventurer

Oddometer:
  8. Guy Jinbaiquerre

Oddometer:
    Quite a few people in those groups have done Ironbutt rides in Japan. (1000 miles in 24 hours.) They usually do one in early May each year, when Japan has a holiday week called "Golden Week"

If you ask around, you may get a few of them to organize an Ironbutt ride that you can join.