Riding in the rain and prescription glasses

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by vince82, Nov 22, 2018.

1. vince82

vince82 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    4-eyed friends!
    How the heck do you ride in city traffic with prescription glasses in the rain?
    I have a pretty breezy helmet (hjc rpha 11) but I need to keep my shield a bit open to allow enough air to prevent them fogging.. But with the shield a bit open, rain comes through and if the ride is not short water filters between the shield and the pinlock..
    I thought about getting an mx helmet and googles with prescription insert, but seems kinda expensive as a workaround ...
  2. Gapscratch

Gapscratch I love curves!

Oddometer:
    Easy one, LASIK, boom- done. I did it 13 years ago, got tired of dealing with glasses and my helmet. Still see clearly now, no issues. Well worth it. You're welcome.
  3. dduelin

dduelin Prone To Wander, Lord, I Feel It

Oddometer:
    A properly fitted Pinlock will not leak water between it and the face shield. It should act like a double pane insulated window. Make sure there are no gaps in the install after fitting the Pinlock. It helps to twist the shield back and forth after fitting the Pinlock in place.
    Pantah and Chaostrophy like this.
  4. Traxx

Traxx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the same helmet and wear glasses( Wiley X) and no issues so far. I am guessing that it is cooler there than in Texas. Do you have the chin curtain in? Maybe try a anti fog cleaner for your glasses.
  5. brgsprint

brgsprint Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Contact lenses.
  6. vince82

vince82 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a traumatic cataract (got a acacia branch whiplash in my face when I was 5), so Lasik is not solving the problem, would also need cataract surgery.. Seriously considering it though.

I do have the chin curtain.. Should I take it off?
  7. Scout416

Scout416 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I picked up Z Clear at the BMW Rally in Des Moines. Works as advertised. I keep not only for my RX glasses, but sunglasses (when wearing contacts) and shields.

Zclear.com
  8. JRMAL

JRMAL Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm 66yo and have been wearing glasses since 15 years old. Just crack your face shield like you've been doing. It's the only thing to stop fogging. I've tried a lot of face masks and sprays. Other than a heated face shield like snowmobilers use, there is not a quick fix.
  9. MattLikeyBikey

MattLikeyBikey Adventurer

Oddometer:
  10. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    I have a Scorpion GT920 modular helmet that comes with Scorpion's own anti-fog coating on the visor. No issues in city traffic unless you are standing still and heavily exhaling. But, even that clear the moment you have a little air movement. In case you are wondering, I live in the PNWet too (or PacificSouthWet for you), I think rain was invented here... :lol3

Gustavo
  11. vince82

vince82 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok stop stop! There is a deal on the scorpion at950 with the electric shield.... Does it help not fogging the glasses? I have been considering it as a nice modular.. If it helps with this, I'll take it!
  12. txndncowboy

txndncowboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I seem to do okay with my Nolan N100-5 with it opened to the first detent. And that's without the pinlock it came with. I've just never installed the pinlock shield. It is sure better than going without a shield at all. I've done that and it isn't fun at all. Yes, I do get some water on my glasses but nothing like no shield. I can deal with this amount and giving a quick wipe when I need to. I probably should try using the pinlock since it did come with one. I just got this helmet to replace a half helmet so I'm still experimenting with it.
  13. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers

Oddometer:
    Respro Foggy
    krussell, Spec and nk14zp like this.
  14. phreakingeek

phreakingeek adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've tried all the snake oil fog stuff for decades...the best option is a Pinlock visor and Fogtech DX wipes on glasses or sunshade.
  15. Brisco

Brisco Chik'n Eater

Oddometer:
    Also the Pinlock pins are cams. You can rotate them to tighten the Pinlock. Also I've needed to adjust the Pinlock shield up or down slightly to prevent puckering. It has to be in just the right position.
  16. Turtletownman

Turtletownman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Vince, cataract surgery replaces lens with one with corrects vision and for a price can even correct astigmatism. Some helmets seems worse than others with both glasses and shield fogging even when partially open. Cat Crap or the new helmet helped my problem. I hate riding in the rain almost as bad as not riding. Have not tired Pinlock but may.
  17. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    I have over the glasses goggles... for riding dirt. I took an MX helmet on a trip one time, it rained. NOT fun Got pelted with rain. My buddy loaned me an Arai XD. Immediately bought one.

I have not experienced the rain issue with my glasses you are experiencing. But the MX helmet = no Bueno in rain.

Barry
  18. vince82

vince82 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got a icon variant with the breath box, it's gonna be here in little over a week, let's see
  19. JohnCW

JohnCW Long timer

Oddometer:
    If anyone saw the 'respirator' type thingy that Jack Miller wore under his helmet in the recent MotoGP race in the rain to stop visor fogging you'd have to figure there are no easy solutions. Don't know how many other riders use em.

You won't wear such a contraption if there was a simple solution.
  20. vince82

vince82 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I assume it was exactly a breath box. Exactly what I just bought XD