1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Riding Jeans

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by TeneRay, Jun 24, 2020.

1. TeneRay

TeneRay Bitch, I'm fabulous

Oddometer:
    I've been using a pair of Scorpion Covert for a few years now and they're OK. Seems like they stretched a lot so now my knee guards are shin guards and I have to wear suspenders in conjunction with a belt to keep my pants from falling down. I do like the cut; no skinny jeans stuff going on.

I'm an Alpinestars whore but seems like A* jeans are in Klim/BMW cost territory.

Any recommendations? I like loose pants. I know RevZilla does free exchanges but pics are deceiving and was hoping to get a start in a decent direction.
  2. staudio

staudio Time to take a ride.....

Oddometer:
    20 Minutes north of the Golden Gate Bridge, CA
    https://www.hoodjeans.co.uk

I've had a pair for a couple years now and they are holding up pretty well. I have not crashed tested them.........not yet anyway (knockoff wood).
    YJake and lipsee like this.
  3. Joe?

Joe? ... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Recently got a pair of REV'IT! Men's Lombard jeans. Definitely not the cut you're looking for but worth mentioning as the Philly (I believe) is the same pant in a more relaxed fit. They were more expensive than some of the overpants I've owned over the years but seem worth the cost of admission. They look and fit like jeans and are surprisingly comfortable (i.e. aren't too stiff or hot, look like jeans). The newest version of knee armor is very impressive; light enough that it's not noticeable walking around but apparently dense enough that I find myself smashing it with things in amazement as there is no pain underneath. Wonder what people on the highway think when they see me cruising along banging a gloved fist into my knee to pass the time :lol3
  4. squish

squish Out of the office.

Oddometer:
    I got a pair of Maples used, these were stylish modern cut jeans in fashionable fabric, but oh my dog they wear HOT
    they are only comfortable in temps below 70 degrees, (and as I found out why I got them so cheap on the used market)

Two years ago I picked up a pair of Reax jeans from Cycle Gear/Revzilla
    They are decent, and for the next two years became my 90% of the time riding pants, But they haven't held up super well,
    they are starting to show some wear, and despite not washing them in the washing machine and taking good care they just seem like they are not long for this world. and I don't have that many miles or hours on them.
    Decent price as they were under $200

I tried a pair of the first generation Klim jeans.
    And they had great protection, but by dog the fit was awful
    Baggy and unstructured, they looked like grandpa jeans from the late 80.

I'm still looking for the right pair, that looks decent for a middle age, somewhat normal body shaped guy to wear.
    I don't' want skinny hipster jeans nor do I want something that a sitcom star would have worn in 1992.
    I'd like a modern looking pair of jeans, that don't telegraph that they have moto pads and a kevlar lined ass.
  5. Traxx

Traxx Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. Urbandrag

Urbandrag KLiM Beotch!

Oddometer:
    If you like loose jeans, you will like Klim K Fifty 1. They were my weapon of choice in urban deplpyments and sohrt road trips. They are great for hot weather, and in colder conditions I wore them with a windstopper base layer.
    Today I sold mines because of that, I looked like Homer Simpson, and it was even worst becuase I lost too much weight, I went from 36 to 34 size.
    I was going to replace them for the Fifty 2, that have a more tight fit but I'm going to give a try to Switchback cargo pants.
    Traxx and LandofEnchantment like this.
  7. LandofEnchantment

LandofEnchantment Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like my K Fifty 1’s. The knee armor is held in place by Velcro inside the pocket. So you can adjust it to fit you better. Very nice jeans. Lots of colors, and a very relaxed fit. No problem getting my boots up the pant leg. Whether they’re riding boots or a work boot.
    Traxx likes this.
  8. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    From a protection perspective, A* jeans are sad. Dainese isn't much better. Both lean on fashion and the name to the detriment of using good protective materials.

Revit has lines of jeans now with different fits - look for the initials following the model name (SF/RF). The Regular Fit stuff might meet your needs, and the Cordura fabric + the abrasion patches they use tests very well. They don't offer single layer options, so can get a bit warm.

Spidi's J&Dyneema is my usual recommendation for a mid-price jean; single layer denim woven with dyneema means great airflow for the summer, decent enough armor at knees & hips, and a fit that runs somewhere between slim and straight with a good % of stretch fabric means it never felt constricting on my big thighs, even with a separate armored pant underneath.

Rokker has a new midpriced single layer jean available. Armor will be separate, but reviews look good, it has nice middle of the road styling, and seems to be a more straight fit compared to their previous offerings - initial reviews on Revzilla appear quite good.

In the US, I'll always recommend a single layer jean personally - getting rid of a separate abrasion layer and incorporating the materials into the outer fabric means better airflow and a more comfortable ride in our hotter & often more humid climates.
  9. TeneRay

Oddometer:
    Ordered some Revit Philly 2s from Revzilla since the originals are being discontinued. Price was high (not Klim high, lol) but I figure I splurge. Really wanted Alpinestars but the reviews weren't great for any of their jeans.

Look good in the pics so we'll see.

There's was another one that was enticing called Reax. About $80 cheaper but didn't come with knee pads. Had good reviews.
  10. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers Supporter

Oddometer:
    Diamond gusset is the way to go. The Defender series.
  11. MotoMachines

MotoMachines Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I find that Rev It has really good pants for all different cuts. The jeans, in particular, are nice and well worth the price. Most of them look just like regular pants.
  12. blackfriar

blackfriar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got a pair of Diamond Gusset jeans over the winter. They are the first motorcycle riding pants I have had and have found them to be very comfortable. They wear and look like regular blue jeans.
  13. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just can’t see how a standard denim jean that has a liner w/10% Kevlar can be considered protective.
    Valentino likes this.
  14. YJake

YJake Social Distancing Before It Was Cool

Oddometer:
    Hood Jeans here. Good regular fit, full coverage Kevlar, mesh lining, and adjustable knee/hip armor.
    97DFAC6E-A8CE-41C1-A188-CE212D1C3611.jpeg

-Jake
    staudio and Valentino like this.
  15. Valentino

Valentino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    talmage and Peanut_Buttery like this.
  16. TeneRay

Oddometer:
    My RevIt Philly 2s came in and they're pretty much spot on. The Scorpions were more on the baggier side and these Phillys are the perfect cut; not skinny but not baggy. Just loose enough.

Knee pads are a bit lacking since they're just a foam type pad. I have hard plastic-padded ones I'll swap in from the old jeans.

Material is thinner too so I imagine they'll breathe better but never really been bothered by the Scorpions before, even on 90+ F degree days. Scorpions were the denim/kevlar mix and had some weight to them. The Phillys feel and weigh like normal jeans.

I'm a 30 waist and these 30s are right on for motorcycle jeans. They are looser than causal 30s but not uncomfortably loose.