Riding Mexico July 13-22, Advice?

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by CMWoody, Jun 26, 2005.

1. CMWoody

CMWoody Banned

Oddometer:
    I'm flying down to retrieve my GSA from Abasolo, Mex. (Irapuerto, Guanajuerto area) and could use a little route and accommodations advice.

The plan is to ride Hwy 90 towards Guzman and then autopisto it to Manzanillo for a couple of days+/- relaxation at the beach, maybe, moving north on hwy 200 to check out some other less inhabited areas. Boca de Iguanas?, Barra de Navidad? Chamela? Depending on just how oppressing the sweltering heat and humidity is:cry , I'll end up in Mazatlan. Then the idea is to venture up to cooler air on the Espinozo, hwy 40 to Durango, then hwy 45 to Hildalgo de Parral, Copper Canyon, etc... Exit via Hwy 16 and head toward Lima, OH to win the "I rode the farthest distance to get here award" if there is such a thing.:D I might just find a place to park it in Dallas and catch my connector back to NC, maybe... dunno.

Any suggestions as to places to stay, eat, and things to do will be greatly appreciated.

Yes, I know it'll be hot 'n muggy but I'm prepared. Already have a nice cool black darien with an Anniestich collar to keep me cool :lol3 . And a phase shift vest w/ extra inserts, an evaporative cooling do-rag and a tail mounted (motorcycle) cooler.:evil
  2. dwestmodesto

dwestmodesto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    See you in Mexico. I am leaving either this Sunday or Monday. I plan on riding many of the same places you are mentioning. I will be on a fire engine red 2000 R1150GS.
    See you there.
    Dave

3. CMWoody

CMWoody Banned

Oddometer:
    Hello, hello, hello ,
    [​IMG]
  4. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    He's not getting some ideas posted here...relative or not.

All I can add is that Parral seems like a very cool town..real, not touristy...nice people. The roads from Parral to Creel are fantastic....and you'll get your fill of twisties.

Seems like you have the shore/beach stops picked.
  5. CMWoody

CMWoody Banned

Oddometer:
    Thanks LR.
  6. westnash

westnash Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is a nice hotel in Parral that is perfect for bikes too,,,,family owned, Camino Real I believe was the name, but I will check that.
  7. dtop1

dtop1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    In Parral I like the Hotel Turista at Plazuela Independencia 12, #627.522.4489. It is about 2 blocks from the Parque Central, is clean, quiet, has safe pkg behind and earlier this year was P300 dbl.
    I hope you're planning to ride the fantastic MX20/23 past Guachochi to Creel. It's one of the best moto roads on the planet. Dan
  8. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Topes and I were down there a couple of months ago. Absolutely World Class! Great pavement....with a few cows/bulls, of course. You can wear yourself out....in a nice way....for hours, literally.

When getting ready to leave Parral, we both said to each other: "I wouldn't mind staying here an extra day." Maybe next time..........
  9. dtop1

dtop1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Barra de Navidad is a nice place to stop. Beautiful beach, a wide range of acccomodations, good food and a great blues bar owned by a biker. NW along the coast is Costa Careyes. It's down a dirt road a mile or two off the highway. Miles long beach with almost no-one there. There's camping and a couple of inexp. motels.
  10. westnash

westnash Long timer

Oddometer:
    I noticed the temp in Mazatlan was in the 80's the other day while in parts of Chihuahua on the way it was 111. Maybe a sea breeze or something. I thought about riding the Creel to Parral and then back to Creel just to ride the road again. This road is not one with so many curves to wear you out but just has every kind of riding and wonderful scenery. I didn't try the downtown hotel in Parral mentioned. Mine was over $40 but was very comfortable with free internet and parking in front of your door, very nice free breakfast, and wonderful restaurant for eating/drinking across the street.

Probably gonna make a return trip and try to make it to Toluca in August.
  11. westnash

westnash Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here is phone number of El Camino Real, their English is ok:

(011-52-627) 523-0202
  12. CMWoody

CMWoody Banned

Oddometer:
    Ok, now thats what I'm talking about. ADV Riders rawk. Thanks alot.
  13. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    My memory may be all shot, but...I think I remember seeing this motel on the east side of Parral.

If you're approaching Parral from the west....
    There's a southern loop highway that bypasses the downtown route. That loop road runs into the main hiway to Jimenez (45?) on the east side of Parral. Right to Jim, left into Parral....and it's less than a mile west of that intersection.

BTW, if you need a map of Mexico...they don't got none in that entire city...:)
  14. dtop1

dtop1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    For a really good atlas of MX get the Guia Roji, "Por las Carreteras de Mexico, 2005" for about $25. 42 pages of detailed maps plus maps of the major cities. So I don't carry the whole thing I make color copies of the pages I need and use those. Dan
  15. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Yep, it's the sht.

Topes and I had never planned to go that way (last trip thru Parral), not far from the border, anyway, and left our good stuff at home. It was one of those make it up as you go kinda things. He had his Garmin thingy and wasn't totally blind. I'm a big map kinda guy and felt almost nutless...:)

My copy was purchased at an office supply store in MX.

Dang...I love it.......
  16. westnash

westnash Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's the place LR spoke of. The town can be a pain to get through but the bypass makes it easy to find this place. Also makes it easy to get out of town and on your way. The air conditioner works too which will be a plus when you go.
  17. CMWoody

CMWoody Banned

Oddometer:
    Got the red guide, Guia Roja, last Febuary at about the 5th Pemix I stopped at and asked for a map. They had them under the counter for sale out of sight. Efficient little fukkers. Great map and I also have the Mexican Bicamapas for my Garmin.... Ask Topes where he got his. :D

I think Camino Real is a Mexican chain. I visited one in San Miguel De Allende once. Just guessing though. It was a nice place as I remember.

Thanks alot Guys for the continued advice. It always freightens me most choosing accomodations in Mexico. I can take everything else, but this just scares the shit out of me.

Watching the weather closely and making some last minute plan adjustments. I'm shipping another bike, an F650GS Dakar down for my buddy Jose to ride along with me. Nice to have a native guide, ya know.
  18. Axel White

Axel White Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    A much better hotel in Parral than the ones already discussed is the American Inn. Opposite the Camino Real, better, cleaner, newer and run by a Swiss guy with a Mexican wife. His name is Beat Sieger. Great, free breakfast in the AM, free internet and he bought us beer when we were there a month ago. Also excellent rates.
  19. westnash

westnash Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good points. This Camino Real is not part of a chain, owned by the same family for many years. I am sure it and American Inn are about same price as they are across from each other. I make it a point to stay away from anything called American when I am in a foreign country. I have heard the owners are nice however. Anyway now you have lots of choices and a guide. Notice there is some flooding in parts of Mexico now from the rain so plan acordingly. I believe the temperature was also 110 or so in mid Chihuahua. I spoke to a customer in Toluca today and it was 75 and cloudy. Go where the elevation is!
  20. Axel White

Axel White Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    I do not have a problem in staying in places that have the word American in their name. I am a naturalized citizen of this country and proud of it. And in 35 years of overseas working and living have never been concerned about staying in places that bear the word "American". I do not plan on calling myself a Canadian or some other crap like some people apparently are doing.

The Swiss owner and his French speaking Mexican wife have figured out that they will get a lot more business using the American Inn handle than something Mexican. For all of you old time Hidalgo De Parral afficionados the hotel is located at the site of the old go kart track, where the Swiss guy made enough cash to finance the construction of the hotel....!!!

The owners are very nice and the rates are probably competitive. What you do get is an AC that is new and works. A room that is much better appointed and a really nice breakfast plus the other things I mentioned. So this is a much better value.