Riding Mexico July 13-22, Advice?

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by CMWoody, Jun 26, 2005.

1. CMWoody

CMWoody Banned

Oddometer:
    Hmmm.... wonder where I'm gonna stay?
  2. westnash

westnash Long timer

Oddometer:
    You have so many options you will have a hard time making a decision. No one said anything aboiut being ashamed of being an American,,,that's a stupid comment. Many of the places in the world today it doesnt make sense to wear a flashing sign on your back saying you are an American, you just make yourself a target to get ripped off.

In any event, there are many places you can stay and we all hope you will enjoy your trip!
  3. Axel White

Axel White Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Not sure how you equate staying in a place called the American Inn with a big flashing sign on your back sayig that you are American??
  4. CMWoody

CMWoody Banned

Oddometer:
    I figured when you stated that bit about not staying in a place named 'American' when traveling internationally was more an indication that you preffered native accomodations versus what we have here. Soak up your surroundings rather than insulate ones self, eh? Plus add to it the redundancy of a Swiss guy operating an American hotel in Mexico. In truth, probably nothing to it but the name, its the free beer I'm after anyway. :1drink

For similar and opposite reasons, I have a rule to never do business with a company that has 'Custom', 'Professional', 'Unlimited', or 'Associated' in their name. Too often their not.

Thanks again for all the good advice.

CW
  5. Axel White

Axel White Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    This is not an American Hotel. It is not affiliated with the American chain. The Swiss owner picked the name for his own marketing reasons.
  6. CMWoody

CMWoody Banned

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I got that. "American" in name only, thats what we're talking about, right-O, Ci.:D
  7. westnash

westnash Long timer

Oddometer:
    10/4 Axel, just because it looks like a Days Inn has nothing to do with this. I eat at McDonald's sometime in Mexico and other places. Holiday Inns in Mexico are usually much nicer and more expensive in Mexico than USA. You will enjoy the road from Creel to Parral so much, unless its too hot, that you will be happy to just stay anywhere there is an a/c and you can get a beer.
  8. TxDieHart

TxDieHart Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Corpus Christi, Texas No Hills but we have a Beach
    Then you will be wanting to stay completly away from Mexico because its in north AMERICA all its people are North Americans. Ditto for central and south AMERICA.
  9. elgringo-inaz

elgringo-inaz El Gringo

Oddometer:
    Ok, I really want to see where CM Woody is going to go on his trip to Mexico.

Will you give us some good photo footage once you get back? What is your bike doing by itself way down there anyhow?

Gentlemen, please stop posting all the nonsense about the "American" comment. This was a good thread I wanted to follow, cut the bikering before we all forget about CM's trip and start fighting. haha. Have a good time dude!

I just got back from a sweet trip to Baja with a buddy, 8 days of fun.
  10. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Damn good suggestion......
  11. CMWoody

CMWoody Banned

Oddometer:
    First leg
    Depart Abasolo and head for Manzanillo. Theres several routes though this one looks fun. Lots of twisties indicated by the map coming down from 4600'asl to the coast. Considered taking the Quota through Guadalahara and still may. Mex90 to La Piedad de Cabadas, then south to Zamora. Mex110 to Mex 54 all the way to Manzanillo. Anyone familiar with these roads?
    [​IMG]
  12. CMWoody

CMWoody Banned

Oddometer:
    Leg 2
    Manzanillo north to ?
    Wee'll probably stop by a couple of beaches and spend a little time meandering up Mex200 along the western coast. Though not written in stone, Puerto Vallarta will be a stop.
    [​IMG]
  13. CMWoody

CMWoody Banned

Oddometer:
    Leg 3
    Vallarta to Mazatlan
    Mex200 to Mex15
    [​IMG]
  14. CMWoody

CMWoody Banned

Oddometer:
    Leg 4
    Espinozo Del Diablo, Mazetlan to Durango.
    Could use some advice here as to how long it takes, where to stay in Durango, the possibility to slabbing to Hildago de Parral the same day, etc...
    [​IMG]
  15. CMWoody

CMWoody Banned

Oddometer:
    Leg 5
    Durango to Parral
    Hotel yet undecided, PLEASE, some help selecting one. :bueller:Djust kidding about that
    This autopisto route through Torreon would be the quickest, but, I'm wondering if an alternate might be better and cooler.
    [​IMG]

16. CMWoody

CMWoody Banned

Oddometer:
    Leg 5 alternate
    Durango to Parral via Mex45
    [​IMG]
  17. CMWoody

CMWoody Banned

Oddometer:
    Leg 6
    Parral to Creel
    Mex20 to Mex23
    Planning on spending a couple of days here at the Parque Natural Barranca Del Cobre.
    [​IMG]
  18. dtop1

dtop1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I rode the Mazamitla-Colima route a couple of years ago. Nice ride, good road surface, lots of twisties, esp. on the part to the west of the toll road. Dan
  19. CMWoody

CMWoody Banned

Oddometer:
    Leg 7
    Out through Presidio and on to Dallas
    Mex16 all the way to Presidio then Route 67 to I20. Thinking I'll leave it there, somewhere, and catch my connecting flight back. Mindlessly blurring down the slab, in this case, I 10 to I 85 to NC isn't all that much fun. I'll probably be looking to drop it off at a good BMW dealer to have some warranty work done. Then, I'lll need to store it a month or so till I come back for another adventure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. dtop1

dtop1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    NW of Manzanillo, Barra de Navidad is a very nice place to stop. Also Costa Careyes and Chamela are 2 great beaches not shown on your map. They are between Barra and Jose Maria Morelos. Both are a couple of miles off the highway on dirt roads not well marked. So you have to be looking for the turnoff. Dan