Riding Mexico July 13-22, Advice?

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by CMWoody, Jun 26, 2005.

1. CMWoody

CMWoody Banned

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dan, about how long did it take you?
  2. dtop1

dtop1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's 5 or 6 hours to Durango depending on how many trucks & busses there are on the road and how much dirt and rocks on the road because of the heavy rains. You'll be tired by the time you get to Durango and it's a long ride from there to Parral. Rec. the Hotel Plaza Catedral in Durango. It's on the side of the cathedral on the main square, P280 dbl a couple of months ago, pkg inside the hotel in the lobby. There's a music store next to the entrance. The brother of the guy in the music store is named Jorge Betancourt and has a GS and is very helpful if you need anything. Dan
  3. dtop1

dtop1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't remember exactly but I think about 4 hours, 5 at the most. We stopped for fotos and to eat along the way. Dan
  4. CMWoody

CMWoody Banned

Oddometer:
    Thanks again Dan,
    Fixed that, btw, what are the little islands off the coast of Chamela?

[​IMG]
  5. dtop1

dtop1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I recall correctly they are just big rocks covered in guano.
    Costa Careyes has a miles long beach with hardly anyone on it. There are 2 inexpensive motels and camping also. Dan
  6. CMWoody

CMWoody Banned

Oddometer:
    Hmmm... might need to break that leg in half because I'm planning on taking it slow, stopping for fotos and quesadillas. According to my Red Guide, it should take 6.5 hours via the Quota through Guadalajara. Its usually close, though I have been known to blow its travel time estimates out of the water. :D Probably more taking this shorter but slower route. Additionally, I've kind of planned on riding predominantly in the early AM to avoid the heat.
  7. CMWoody

CMWoody Banned

Oddometer:
    I'll defenately check that out. Hoping the motels have good A/C.
  8. dtop1

dtop1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 4 or 5 hrs to Colima was from Mazamitla, not from where you are starting. Just north of Colima is a very pretty pueblo, Comala, with cobblestone streets, and nice restaurants around the pretty square. If you have time, I'd rec. a stop there. Dan
  9. dtop1

dtop1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    At least one has AC. At least it did when I stayed there years ago. The turnoff from the highway is at km 52. I think there's an abandoned market at the turnoff. Dan
  10. CMWoody

CMWoody Banned

Oddometer:
    Yep, this time I'm going to take lots of pictures. Last Febuary when I rode it down there form NC, I took precious few. Rode the Camino Frio, visited Las Pozas, and visited with friends in San Miguel and Irapuerto. I was either far too stoked to stop or in a hurry to get to my destination. This time, I'm going to take my time. I'll attempt a ride report once I get back.:vardy

I left the GS down there as its key to my plan to adventure tour on a limited schedule. I'm treating it as a sort of 'satellite bike'. I'll leave it somewhere near an airport, fly home, work, fly back ride somewhere else, repeat. Saves me all that boring interstate slabbing fast fowarding me right too the good stuff.
  11. CMWoody

CMWoody Banned

Oddometer:
    That'd be a nice place to stop. I figure it will probably take me another 3 to 3.5 hours though from where I'm starting. Hard to tell for sure how long it'll take. If we make good time, I'll head for Colama. If not, we'll be looking for somewhere closer to Mazamitla.
  12. CMWoody

CMWoody Banned

Oddometer:
    Take out the "km52" and thats typical of Mexican directions :lol3

From what I've heard, Costa Careyes is a VERY nice place and a must see. I'll find it.
  13. westnash

westnash Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can plan on spending a day between Mazatlan and Durango based on a few stops for pictures and getting behind some traffic. You will be dizzy from the curves before you get to Durango. Better to take your time and enjoy it as it can be a very dangerous road if you try to hot dog it.

Dtops suggestion on hotel in Durango by cathedral is good. It is congested and confusing in the area and easy to get lost but cathedral is very visible. Anytime you are lost and there is noone to help you just hire a cab and follow him. There is a bypass that runs around Durango and comes out on the road to Parral. We stayed one of the famous no tell motels right off the bypass,,,,a two bedroom suite with your own garage and huge whirlpool was $40-50 I think...it was worth the experience.....cabs run all along that area and can take you into the city center just for a few $.....by staying on the bypass then it is quick and easy to leave the city in any direction.

The libre from Durango to Parral is a bit boring as it is mostly straight and I am sure will be hot....there are a couple or three places along the route to buy gas but don't cut it too close as there was a pretty good stretch where we didnt see anything. An hour or so north of Durango there was a crossroads and roadside markets and little restaurants that were just fine,,,,,there werent too many places to eat outside of this and a couple more

Take plenty of water as it will be HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy wherever you stay in Parral and leave early for Creel as it will be an awesome day and HOT!!!!!!!

Creel is a bit of a shitty little town even though famous for adv riders. Ride up to Divisiderio and see the hotel on the side of the hill and the canyon.

Many cell phones will work in Mexico now, Verizion especially, if you have the right kind and tell them to let you roam there...good in emergencies and if you break down you can call your BMW dealer!!!!
  14. dtop1

dtop1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mazamitla is a very nice, colonial town in the pines. Even in the summer it's cool at night. There are 2 or 3 inexpensive hotels on or near the plaza as well as some rustic cabins in the pines outside of town. The town is a few kms. off your route but is worth a stop even if you don't plan to spend the night there. Dan
  15. CMWoody

CMWoody Banned

Oddometer:
    Wow guys, this is really great info here. Your suggestions will certainly make my trip more enjoyable. I can't thank you enough. :freaky
  16. CMWoody

CMWoody Banned

Oddometer:
    BTW, thats not intended to be a thread killer, still listening to your fabulous ideas. :grinner
  17. topes

topes Banned

Oddometer:
    Highway 200 from Puerto Vallarta down to Mazanillo is nothing to write home about. You won't see the beach until you reach Manzanillo. IMHO, Manzanillo is not worth of the trouble. On my first trip, I left the highway and found a very cool and very abandonded hotel on the beach. There were no trespassing signs everywhere so I didn't stay long.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like to stop at a very cool resort town called San Juan De Atima just inside Michoacan on Highway 200. It's roughly a day's ride south of Puerto Vallarta. It's a very cool small Mexican resort town with good cheap accommodations and food. Be sure to ask for air conditioning. The sunset is way cool off the bluffs to the south.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Highway 200 through Michoacan is dreamy. One of the best parts of the coast IMHO. If you go, fuel every chance you get. It's not very populated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. dtop1

dtop1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    "I like to stop at a very cool resort town called San Juan De Atima just inside Michoacan on Highway 200. It's roughly a day's ride south of Puerto Vallarta. It's a very cool small Mexican resort town with good cheap accommodations and food. Be sure to ask for air conditioning. The sunset is way cool off the bluffs to the south."

The name of the place is San Juan de Alima and it's also one of my favorite places. It's south of Manzanillo about 40 or 50 miles. There are a half dozen or so low-rise motels strung along the beach. Dan
  19. CMWoody

CMWoody Banned

Oddometer:
    Looking in the Guia Roja, page 27, for it but no succuss. Is it on the Punta La Corrida de San Juan?

edit... Uh, Ok found it.
    [​IMG]
  20. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Just south of there is where the road hugs the high cliffs above the shore. And there are a few small restaurants/shacks hanging on the edge. Jillion dollar views both south and north, and a great place to eat or take a break.

I'm roadsick....