Riding Mexico July 13-22, Advice?

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by CMWoody, Jun 26, 2005.

1. topes

topes Banned

Oddometer:

Hey Woody, it's in the lower left corner of this map.
  2. topes

topes Banned

Oddometer:
    Again, if I were going as far as Colima, I would have to do the Michoacan coast. It's some of the best coast line in Mexico. It's trashier than normal but if you can kind of squint and look past the trash it's very cool. Michoacan is very poor, the people more introverted than most of Mexico. I want to say, there's no fuel for about 150 miles. There's also no fuel in San Juan De Alima. Fuel can be had from 50 gal drums in some of the pueblos.

As with Lone Rider, I'm sufficiently jealous.
  3. topes

topes Banned

Oddometer:
    Oh, and for your information, the only phones in San Juan De Alima are the wireless payphone type. When I was there, none of them were working. I had to travel back to Coahuayana De Hildago to find a Telmex payphone.
  4. dtop1

dtop1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is a gas station about half way along the coast, possibly in Tizupan. It's past Maruata to the SE. Dan
  5. CMWoody

CMWoody Banned

Oddometer:
    Just checked the weather and it seems 85 is as high as its getting along the coast. Hope it stays that way for a while... I have to delay my departure a minimum of a week, maybe 2 for business reasons. Sucks. Working. Dammit. You guys are welcome to come down and ride along. I make it from Brownsville to my hideout in Abasolo in 7-8 hours easy. Lots of room, gated yard, garage, tv, indoor plumbing, etc... all the comforts of home.

Thats mi amigo Jose in the pic. He's got another uninhabited casa about 500' away.
    [​IMG]

Casa 2
    [​IMG]
  6. scottmx81

scottmx81 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The plan is to ride Hwy 90 towards Guzman and then autopisto it to Manzanillo for a couple of days+/- relaxation at the beach, maybe, moving north on hwy 200 to check out some other less inhabited areas. Boca de Iguanas?, Barra de Navidad? Chamela? Depending on just how oppressing the sweltering heat and humidity is , I'll end up in Mazatlan.

I'm not sure, but I don't think there is anything interesting to see on that route until you get to Colima City. Also, I haven't spent much time there, but I don't think Manzanillo is that great of a beach destination unless you are staying in one of the expensive resorts north of the city. I've never been to Barra de Navidad either, so I don't know if it is better or not, but there is a small town called Cuyutlan about 30 km south of Manzanillo. It is mostly a weekend getaway for people from Colima, but it is nice. Very small, but has some decent hotels.

I'm biased because I live in Morelia and love this part of the country, but I would go south from Abasolo onto MICH 27 to Cuitzeo, where you turn and cross the laguna de cuitzeo and come to Morelia. From there I would go to Zihuatanejo, and spend my day or two at the beach in Zihua. Zihua is a little under 5 hours from Morelia, and the beach is way nicer than Manzanillo. My favourite is Barra de Potosi.

Then, you would get to drive up the Michoacan coast to Manzanillo and continue on as you had planned. I saw the other posts where people were saying how cool the Michoacan coast is..... it is very undeveloped past Lazaro Cardenas.

I know it appears as a major highway in the Guia Roji, but the road from Patzcuaro to Lazaro Cardenas is only two lanes, and a nice drive. If you do it this way, you'll get to see some of the colonial towns that you take the route south of Lake Chapala.
  7. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    I stayed there one night last summer and got the feeling that:
    1) 1/2 the town was being torn down
    2) 1/2 the town was being rebuilt
    An exaggeration, of course, but it just struck me that way.

Nice people, decent prices, good-looking open air restaurants....
    The town was more appealing 2-3 blocks from the beach.
  8. CMWoody

CMWoody Banned

Oddometer:
    So Scott, Thats something to consider. If time allows, I may go that route, though, I think, it'll add a day or two to my trip...
    [​IMG]
  9. dtop1

dtop1 Long timer

Oddometer:

There are 2 roads from Pátzcuaro to Lázaro Cárdenas: the 2-lane road plus the 4 lane autopista. Just a couple of months ago I rode the 2-lane from Playa Azul to Nueva Italia then got onto the toll road to Pátzcuaro. For a couple of short stretches the 2 roads run right next to one another separated only by a concrete barrier. Dan
  10. topes

topes Banned

Oddometer:
    I've used up most of my vacation for the year. I'm saving what I have left for a fall trip. My wife isn't happy with my recent propensity for solo vacations. She's not into weeks on a motorcycle. Considering that my job has simply become a support system for motorcycle adventures, and my house is simply a base of operations for those adventures, I'm seriously considering disposing of all unnecessary relationships and possessions. If that occurs, I'll be available for more journeys to the south. I've even spoken with a prospective employer at the border. The pay wouldn't be as good but I'd be 12 hours from Guadalajara. Some say I'm obsessed but they simply don't understand my compulsion.
  11. CMWoody

CMWoody Banned

Oddometer:
    One of the things that come along with motorcycling is its blissful isolation. As I roam the country behind my handlebars, I'm at my church, I feel at one and at peace with the world...so much so that I never want it to end, "feh, so what, another week off won't hurt". Usually, It can and has turned into a month or more. The worries and the drama of day-to-day life evaporate. I feed on my wanderlust to see new beauty, experience a new road, see new people and get up and wander farther the next day. Every day gets better, though admittedly lonelier. Time draws my heart to miss my children. The little voice starts screaming louder and when I walk in the door at the end of my solstice, all comes back together in my world. When I'm not in the saddle, I am here vicariously riding on the Vikings 650 through Thailand or riding the shadow of Mike O. Hard to consider it an addiction, though, that nagging voice in my head, says it is. It can envelop so many other important parts of my life. Sometimes, I force myself not to ride and stay at home to spend more time with the family. That's why I'm still in business and able to raise a family. I say, someday, when my kids are grown up, then, that’s the time, I'll strike out…if I can.
  12. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Some people........

Really don't enjoy adventure traveling
    Think they like it
    Like it
    Love it
  13. k7

k7 Almost retired....tick..tick..tick..

Oddometer:
    Nicely said... I can't wait to retire. We'll head south to Brazil where, yes, the welcome mat will be out for visitors. :thumb