Riding new bike home?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by RDJEff, Sep 22, 2004.

1. RDJEff

RDJEff Lost in Alaska

Oddometer:
    Hey Legion,

I was wondering when you'd pop up. This is a great forum! I check it every morning, usually looking at the travelogues. I'll put one of my own up pretty soon. I took a ride to Valdez back in June, and only saw one cloud on the whole trip, on the second day! Been riding lately?
  2. GaelicDog

GaelicDog Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer:
    Back on topic!

If you are a US Citizen residing in Alaska and come into the lower 48 to purchase a bike, no sweat. Just make sure your paperwork is up to snuff. Bill of Sale, DL, insurance. Drive out tags are placed on new vehicles that are good for 30 days.

If you are planning on being in the lower 48 longer than 30 days I would overnight my paperwork to a friend in your home town and let them pick up your tag and overnight it back to you! Just have him address the return US Mail, Express Mail package to you in the city you plan on being in, in care of GENERAL DELIVERY. You just walk in to the Post Office, show your ID, sign and off you go!
  3. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    Good chance to quide us rebels back to the subject matter.
    Yes jeff it is good to buy a scoot and bring it back. The more the merrier. My question is what were you ridin this past summer? Your ride to Val-disease sounds very warm. I miss those days right now.
  4. RDJEff

RDJEff Lost in Alaska

Oddometer:
    Hey Gus,

I'm currently (well not today anyway) riding an '02 V-Strom, great bike. The Valdez trip was interesting, I've lived in Fairbanks for almost my entire life, (minus two years in Juneau), and had never been to Valdez. Fished in Chitina at least a dozen times, but never made the last little jaunt from there to Valdez. Anyway, it was hot and smoky in Fairbanks, and just hot everywhere else. It was 94 in Glenallen, 94 in Chitina, 82 in Valdez. I'll try and get the travelogue posted this weekend sometime.
  5. RDJEff

RDJEff Lost in Alaska

Oddometer:
    Hey Gus,

I'm currently (well not today anyway) riding an '02 V-Strom, great bike. The Valdez trip was interesting, I've lived in Fairbanks for almost my entire life, (minus two years in Juneau), and had never been to Valdez. Fished in Chitina at least a dozen times, but never made the last little jaunt from there to Valdez. Anyway, it was hot and smoky in Fairbanks, and just hot everywhere else. It was 94 in Glenallen, 94 in Chitina, 82 in Valdez. I'll try and get the travelogue posted this weekend sometime.
  6. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    So I would guess you are going to look into getting a street style bike from the lesser 48 states? OR?
    Which V Strom? The 650, or the 1000. I have friends who own both models. Yes they are nice rides. The 650, would seem like a better model for dirt roads, and the 1000 better for tarmac. Is this right?

7. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Dog! A ride to VDZ and not even a peep about it, eh? I think the entire stretch from roughly Paxson to Valdez is probably the prettiest riding in the state. Tough to beat for sure. That said, I feel faaaar less guilty now about how I blew through FBX in late Sept on a Freeze Your Buns Run. Wanna see some pics?

None of the pics have been edited yet. You know how this time of year gets. 100mph w/ your hair on fire trying to keep up w/ work loads, etc. On another note, if you haven't been to McCarthy yet you oughta put that one on the list before you peddle the 'Strom. That and a D2D ride. The Dawson ride's a good one. Btw, if you only saw one cloud on VDZ somebody switched the signs on you. If the whole town isn't all dressed in yellow Helly Hansens... it ain't Valdez! Last I went through there the fog was so thick at the top of the pass you could only see about 75' and it seemed like you were riding on the moon. Barren, w/ scattered boulders. Wierd. Couldn't see a tail lite til you were on it too so I tried to keep the pace up just in case there was a mom w/ 6 kids in a 75mph Suburban somewhere in the gray behind.

Only thing I been riding lately is a snowblower. I see stretches of clear pavement in town but not enough to get excited about. KL5A is probably still riding in Wasilla though as the constant breeze keeps the roads fairly clear. That and he's not one to restrict himself to only sensible choices. :lol3

If you give a heads up on your way back from stateside maybe I can meet you for lunch in Tok on your way back through. Maybe bring a few riding buddies along and make the triangle back to Anchorage that day. I assume you're thinking of a straight shot to FBX?

8. RDJEff

RDJEff Lost in Alaska

Oddometer:
    Gus,

Mine is the 1000, the 650 came out a couple of years after I bought mine. Not knowing any better, the 1000 works great on dirt roads. I live on a 7 mile long dirt/gravel road, and the only problem I have is keeping the thing fed with tires!
    The bike I'm looking to bring back would be a Honda ST1300, and I want to see a bit of America on the trip.
  9. RDJEff

RDJEff Lost in Alaska

Oddometer:
    Hey Legion,

The Valdez ride was a spur of the moment trip. I had arranged to take the day off for a Tanacross race, but the Taylor fires caused us to cancel at the last minute, and since the weather was so nice, I just switched bikes and went. When I was in Chitina, I poked my nose onto the McCarthy road, and after a couple of miles realized that it was too rough to make good time on, and since I had a hotel reservation in Valdez, I figured I'd better get back on the highway. Next year...

It looks like you guys ahd a good ride, with the weather cooperating as much as is possible in late September. Did you do the loop, or did you go across the Denali?
  10. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Looped through Paxson and stayed on the Richardson. Great ride. Almost no ice. Thought about the Denali Hwy while at the cutoff but didn't take it. This was an unplanned sort of return trip and the route was decided when the Paxson Roadhouse burger was finished.

"Ok, which way we going"?... and we were off that way. One of the guys was on an FZ1 which might have swayed the vote from the Denali but I don't recall. He rode it to Dawson last year too so it's not like he or the bike are alergic to gravel. Had a gas though.
  11. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    Hi Jeff
    The thing I noticed about having toys, would be parts, tires, fuel, oil and additions are what every toy I have needs. full friggin time! It never stops and I really don't want it to. It keeps me out of the house of ill repute. Well, grampa used to say that. It actually drives me to it, but we shouldn't go there....
    Ahem,,,The 1000 is alot of scoot. How does it handle the gravel? I have heard mixed reviews, although I have heard the same thing about every bike. Some like, some don't. Figures.
    Have you compared it to the BMW's? My newest arrival into the barn is an '02 R1150GSA, I got to tell you it concerns me whether it will be all it is supposed to be. I know it rides well, I know it has a great powerplant. My trouble in it is the bike's weight and it being able to safely fit my needs, without taxing the scoot. Have you seen the Long Way Round? The broken frame issue? I was contacted by a man who told me that is a common problem. GREAAAAAAT! That is what a new owner want to hear.

Hey Legion,,,,,,,,,
    What is up? I thought you had a GS. Matter of fact I remember your riding one last year. When did you sell it? For the KTM? Fill me in!

Gusgus

12. RDJEff

RDJEff Lost in Alaska

Oddometer:
    Gus,

Like I said, not knowing any better, the 1000 handles the gravel roads just fine for me. I had just come off of 8 years on a Yamaha XT600, and I find myself traveling much faster on the gravel, and the pavement is a whole different world. The problem I'm having with tires is that after 2000 miles or so, the center of the tread is thin enough that rocks will puncture the tread, and although I carry a plug kit, the hole is often too big to plug. I've run the bike on Bridgestone Trailwings, Michelin Anakees, and am now on Metzeler Tourances, hoping the steel radial will resist punctures better. We'll see. So far, 2500 miles is the average for the rear tire, and I replace the front at every 2nd rear change.

I understand that the 1000 is around 80 pounds lighter than the GS, although I read the new 1200 was put on a bit of a diet. Honestly, I rode pretty carefully for the first few hundred miles of gravel until I felt more comfortable. A trip across the Denali helped a lot. I used to pucker up when the bike started to weave in the gravel, but now I just let it go while I enjoy the scenery.

I think Legion sold his GS, but I'd better let him tell you.

There is a fellow at Big Lake who, like me, was one of the first V-Strom owners. Maybe you know him?
  13. RDJEff

RDJEff Lost in Alaska

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, I've been watching Ewan and Charlie and Claudio. Those guys sure fall a lot. Of course they were there, and I'm just judging them on TV. I probably saw them some time last summer, but hey, all those GS's look the same to me!
  14. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Yep... the 1150GS was sold last fall. Nothing wrong w/ the bike in my mind but I thought I'd get a bike w/ a little more grunt and a little less weight. Gave up a fair chunk of comfort in the trade but overall I'm very happy w/ the KTM 950 I picked up.

Wish I had longer legs though. That 950 is definitely a single cheeker for me.

[​IMG]

I wouldn't be too concerned about the 1200 meeting your needs, Gus. If there's some sort of common and rampant problem w/ the bike you'll hear about it here ...big time. :nod If either of you gents wanna swap bikes out on the road to see what the big katoom's like, just holler when we catch up on the next ride.

Yo Gus, you'll never guess what pic I just hung in the office. Maybe now I'll remember to bring it next time I expect to catch up w/ you. :evil
  15. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    The KTM mania is rampant. But I must admit the new 950 is an impressive scoot.

Legion, did you get the black one? It is a very nice lookin thing. How much time do you have on it?
    SO,,,the picture is now hung in full view. :hung Very good. You know now you may never want to see it go now. :D

Jeff, I am not shocked the V-strom is a nice ride. Su-zuks are not beginners at building a fine machine. The guy who manages/invented the Last Frontier Motorcycle Club, bought a 650 and loves it. I don't know the guy in the lake of big. But I have seen him on the road. I used to ride a VERY bright yellow K bike. You can ask him if he remembers seeing me. The Denali ride last summer was the first dirt ride I have ever done in Alaska. After that I had to upgrade to a dual sport. I found I really liked the BMW product. So it all fell into place.
    I do at least one ride each summer to The Banks of Fair. And visit my favorite eating establisment. The TurtleClub. Love it, I do. :pot
  16. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    She's big, she's black, and she likes a good spankin'. That bike goes like hellfire and I really like it. I put roughly 6k mi on it last summer and it was a gas. Real vicseral ride to start with and when I laid the Remus to her it was even more of a hoot.
  17. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    A good time was had by all! :sweeti

Gusgus

18. RDJEff

RDJEff Lost in Alaska

Oddometer:
    Hey Gus,

I've been to visit at Big Lake on mine a time or two. The Suzuki has proven to be a very solid scoot for me. I would recommend it for anybody looking for a very versatile machine. The Turtle Club is on my commute, so next time, give me a heads-up, and we'll get together.

Legion,

You said you rode a V-Strom, how did it compare with the KTM or the GS?
  19. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    You would be a lucky diner, RDJEff.
    Local to the Club.

What was the saying? Where the fuck is the turtle club? Well it was something like that. A patron had to say it and they received a discount or ?

In my opinion the Turtle Club is far better than the Breakers in Palm Beach. The food is better and the waitresses, well, well, I didn't want to take them home. OK? I would love to get with ya on our fairbanks gathering ride. Right now we have 2 bikes going. Bear and I, along with my faithful rider. So we will just see how big the party gets to be and we will have a fun evening.
    Thanks for the offer.

BEAR? You there?

When do you want to scratch in our trip for din din?

Gusgus

20. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    I did? :uhoh I've got a couple buddies w/ Stroms and I've ridden w/ them plenty but I can't recall swapping bikes w/ them. I could be having a Ron Reagan moment though. Axe me something else :ear