Riding NM, AZ, UT backcountry on a 690 Video

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Barak, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Barak

Barak adventure photographer

Oddometer:
    Thought I would share. We are so fortunate to live and ride in this epic region. Hope you enjoy. I sure did!
    eakins, Kurtz, Sugra and 25 others like this.
  2. Burro driver

Burro driver dba John

Oddometer:
    Great video!
  3. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    +1 excellent video. I am sure it took time, skill, expertise and quality photo/video gear to put together. Thanks for sharing.

Could you also share tracks for the ride you took for those that don't live in this part of the nation.

I've never had success at up-loading video to Youtube without significant deterioration in quality. What is the secret?
  4. Barak

Oddometer:
    Thank you!
    The original footage was all shot in 4K and downsized to HD. It was output with the Youtube specifications from Adobe Media Encoder.
    I think best results are had if you actually upload a 4K version to youtube, then their compression doesn't look as bad. (having said that, I uploaded a HD version myself)
    Yes, a lot of work on the ride but so satisfying in the end. I'll probably be putting together a ride report with GPX files in the near future.
    Barak
    Fast1 likes this.
  5. grace

grace Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    nice vid. thanks for sharing. 2019 ktm 690 enduro? what's the music?
  6. Barak

Oddometer:
    Thank you,
    Yes, it's a 2019 690. I love that bike - and it's very photogenic with the Nomad fairing too.
    The tune is called "So Come On" from premiumbeat.com where I purchase a lot of my stock music
    Barak
  7. grace

grace Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    did you previously own a ktm 690? if yes, what year? how does it compare to 2019?
  8. Barak

Oddometer:
    Only rode a previous year 690 a couple of times so I'm not really qualified to compare. But this is really an incredible bike. Besides the awesome suspension, light weight to power ratio and great wind protection, the motor powers/revs and delivers smooth grunt more like a twin.
    My other bike is a 990 and apart from two-up riding and perhaps more street oriented long trips, this bike would be my first choice any time. By far.
    grace likes this.
  9. grace

grace Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i ride a 2014 690 enduro and i feel as you do. it's a terrific bike. i hear the 2019 690 includes significant improvements. i feel quite content with my 2014 and, at this time, i feel unmotivated to upgrade. again, thank you for sharing video.
  10. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    It's a shame they (YT) used the AVC1 codec on your video, it's the lesser quality of the 2 codecs they compress with. After spending hours and hours filming and editing it's a letdown to see your work changed to a lesser quality. Next time do like you said, upload in 4K and YT will automatically give it the VP09 (better) codec. Nice job on the video Barak.
  11. Earache

Earache Hola!

Oddometer:
    Nice video ad editing ! Wish I could edit that well.
  12. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    Hey man. Great video. It was a great week of weather for your adventures.
  13. bmon

bmon Go Thattaway Supporter

Oddometer:
    Amazing video, thanks for sharing. Curious about all the capture gear you bring along. Seeing camera, video, drone, time lapse, stands and possibly other stuff. How do you handle charging everything? Tight kit on a 690. Well done!
  14. Barak

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip Chris,
    I didn't realize they had different compression codecs based on the file resolution. I would replace it with the 4K version but I don't think Youtube allows that like Vimeo does.
    Barak
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  15. Barak

Oddometer:
    Hey there! I hope Jim's clutch slave made it through your trip. Weather was good overall except for the howling winds. I would have droned some more if it weren't for fear of losing it to the canyon...
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  16. Barak

Oddometer:
    Hi bmon.
    Yes, lots of camera gear. It took me a while to get a setup I could live with and pack on this relatively small bike. 11 pounds worth. With the charging, I made sure to just rotate charging the batteries in my tank bag, from the different devices while riding as to not deplete the bike battery.
    Mavic air drone, Sony A7R and a couple of lenses for the timelapses, Sony RX10 for the ground shots, and a gopro 7
    Barak
  17. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    You can swap it over but it'd start over on view counts and your video is very good ether way. If you right click on the video as it's playing and select stats for nerds you'll see the details as well as the codec used. If you continue to post videos and get a following they will use the better good codec anyway but for now you have to upload in 4K ensure the better codec.
  18. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    Yeah Jim and the rest of us got home all safe. But John had a relay do out on the X Challenge. Limped it into Page and O'Reilly Auto parts slick this, up just a little setback.

It was a shame about the fires having a lot of lookouts closed. But still I had an overload of spectacular veiws. Mother nature sure is wonderous.
    spafxer likes this.
  19. spafxer

spafxer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey @Barak,

Good meeting you on the trail. Nice job on the ride video!

Thanks for showing me the "back way" to Crazy Jugs overlook. I really enjoyed that route.

Too bad my clutch master cylinder was giving me grief. You know that fill of it I did at Crazy Jugs lasted me the rest of the trip. I'll have to go to Orange Crush and see if anyone else has a master cylinder leak 3 times in 40K miles !! Makes no sense to me.

The other 2 John's,Jon literally came down the trail after you split off to go up that road!

Jim
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  20. Amigo

Amigo Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wonderful! Thanks for sharing !