Riding North Carolina, TN and VA

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Extremenc, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Extremenc

Extremenc NC Mtn. Man

Oddometer:
    They work all the time baring a breakdown. She has non-methanol gas too if the truck that has it makes the run over there.
    bobw and Rusty Rocket like this.
  2. wwm66

wwm66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've worked out the schedule where I plan to be there see you Saturday!
  3. kickstand72

kickstand72 i just ride..... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm planning to be there Saturday. If you need a head count. Mountain riding and bar-b-que... yummy! :dukegirl
  4. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    There are plenty of services in the area's small communities, but if for some reason folks are running low and petrol isn't available at Sarah's there is another option just a couple minutes south at the 16&58 junction (Log Cabin market,food and fuel). Finally we're seeing some nicer temps so it should be a gorgeous day for riding!

Cheers
  5. CheapB

CheapB Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. CheapB

CheapB Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. wwm66

wwm66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll meet you at the Sheetz!
    Extremenc, CheapB and SidewinderX like this.
  8. CheapB

CheapB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any of you other fine young ladies gonna make it? No offense to any that actually are fine young ladies. :D
    Extremenc likes this.
  9. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    I will make an appearance. Gotta put some faces with their screen names. Looking forward to finally meet some of you guys.
    Extremenc and CheapB like this.
  10. ronniet2466

ronniet2466 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Leaving Boone at 9:00 :ricky
    Extremenc, CheapB and SidewinderX like this.
  11. CheapB

CheapB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey suhthernboy and Wiley, can we just meet at the gas station beside of Wendy’s in pilot mtn instead? Will work better for the wife, say 815?
    Extremenc likes this.
  12. ShimrMoon

ShimrMoon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, sorry I've been distracted lately with looking after my elderly parents and the biggest news... my daughter got married in June and I needed a big piece of money rather quickly. I did sell the GTL to a former work associate and used that money, along with some more, to give her the wedding she wanted. After all was said and done I had a little money left over so I went in a completely different direction and bought a 2008 Suzuki Burgman 400. My wife has been saying that she would like to try riding her own bike if she didn't have to change gears so I figured we'd try a burgman. I have really enjoyed it so far but haven't had much time to teach her how to ride it yet. If she likes it, I plan on getting a 650 Vstrom for myself.
    Some may laugh at automatic motorcycles but after you ride one... you get it. This thing will go 80 mph all day long, it's a hoot!

Hope to be able to see you and the gang some day soon. Be careful and most of all, have fun.
    Dracula, Extremenc and bobw like this.
  13. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    Selling bikes to pay for a daughter wedding.... Been there and done that, congratulations and I wish them many years of happiness! Been involved with the elderly parent care for awhile too, very good and very challenging at times, best of luck moving forward.

My buddy had a 650(?) Burgman and it would easily do the ton, had the benefit of loooow center of gravity, decent tires and brakes and made me feel like I was riding on a two wheeled go-cart. Crazy how easily that thing would just rip and it had all the comforts of home to include great storage. You and she will have a blast with that "super scoot".
    Extremenc likes this.
  14. ShimrMoon

ShimrMoon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BTW, where does one access Maple Sally Rd? I know it's not one I could ride on my current bike but curiosity is killing me.
    Extremenc likes this.
  15. kickstand72

kickstand72 i just ride..... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Screenshot_20181006-081702_Maps.jpg follow 90 out of lenoir. It will turn to dirt and the road is maple grove ch road on the left.
    ShimrMoon, bobw, SuhthernBoy and 3 others like this.
  16. Wind Junky

Wind Junky Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Best windy twisty curvy little roads off of the Blue Ridge Parkway between Blowing Rock and Cherokee.

I am coming from Durham to ride some twisty roads around the Blue Ridge Parkway, Wednesday through Friday. I’m planning on camping Wednesday at Linville Falls and somewhere further south on Thursday. I’m riding a 1200GS with 70/30 tires so light off road like fire roads or logging roads and the like are also welcome. I know the bike can do more it’s my skill level is low.
    Do any of you have recommendations for twisty curvy roads that should not be missed?

Thnx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Extremenc likes this.
  17. CheapB

CheapB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well I did snap a whopping 2 pics today lol. Good times as always, thanks for leading us up there Sidewinder, always enjoy your routes. Great seeing everyone and meeting a few new faces. Extreme, really great to see you. When you walked out it was like I could here angels singing and “eye of the tiger” playing in the background... the man, the myth, the legend!!! :D

Don’t be a stranger, we need to make this a routine to get together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Lzeplin, speedydave, bobw and 4 others like this.
  18. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    It was a nice get together. Lots of Bobs and Brads made it a bit easier remembering names.:D Great to finally meet you all. (y'all)
    I had 191 miles round trip. 85 outbound and 106 return. I did Rte 755 out of Damascus (Government Rd) as a dirt diversion to break up the pavement. Then I rode a (new to me)piece of US421 back to Shady Valley. Fun road. till I got stuck behind a Harley and a Spyder. That Rte 58 is a blast too. Glad I made the trip. Thanks for organizing. And thanks to Liz for ringing the lunch bell. Otherwise I think we'd still be out in the parking yackin'.
    bobw, CheapB, Extremenc and 2 others like this.
  19. Extremenc

Extremenc NC Mtn. Man

Oddometer:
    Well, Cheap. I know you made it home and drinking beer. LOTS of beer....
    bobw, CheapB and SidewinderX like this.
  20. SidewinderX

SidewinderX Hey, watch this! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a great time as always. It was good to meet some new faces and great to see Jim again!

It ended up being a near perfect day for riding. Just had a light sprinkle for a bit then the fog lifted and made way to a wonderful 70 degree day full of twisty roads, black bear sightings, a little forest service roads and great company.

Thanks to Cheap (and Liz who probably made all the arrangements anyway) for setting it up.

Jim, please don’t be a stranger. I am thankful for the ride information you have shared. Some of your routes have turned out to be my favorites!!
    WRKITHOT, bobw, CheapB and 3 others like this.