Riding North Carolina, TN and VA

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Extremenc, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Lzeplin

Lzeplin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's nothing Cheap I had a buddy that had never owned any kind of bike. He bought and traded around and had 11 bikes in about 14 months! Started out with a v-rod ran it off the bank in his driveway, them decided it was too large so he bought a Suzuki 400 SM, then a 919 hornet, 650 BMW, HD Sportster, Yamaha Raider, HD street glide.
    Traded the glide for a ZX 1400, and HD softtail, and 250 kawi crotch rocket. Sold all those then bought a KLR ! Kept it a few weeks and sold it.. He finally gave it up! Lol
  2. Turismo9999

Turismo9999 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Holy moly:hung
    Lzeplin likes this.
  3. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Never did figure out the bike wasn’t the problem. :D
    Shekinahglori, CheapB and Lzeplin like this.
  4. CheapB

CheapB Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3

Thanks lzeplin, definitely makes me feel a bit better. Mine usually stick around at least 4-6 months lol. Truth be told, ever since the triple, Ive just been stuck on trying a little bit of everything. Since 2010, I’ve owned a Connie14, Aprilia Tuono, Triumph Tiger1050, drz400sm stroked out, weestrom2, veestrom2, 09 GS, Africa Twin, very short lived ST1300 (I really only rode it home lol), and now the 13 GS. :D
    Lzeplin likes this.
  5. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    I've had a DR650 since Dec 2005. I'm on the second one currently. A friend was selling his 2009, so I traded up from my '96. It makes me smile every time I ride it.
    Mainrollman, CheapB and Lzeplin like this.
  6. Lzeplin

Lzeplin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dang you've had several! I'm most interested in the stroked out wee strom? I've had a kawai zx9-r since 03, only has around 10k on it now! Lol It's only ridden a few hundred miles a year but it still puts a smile on my face!
    I have the ZX9, a 15 Klr, and last year I bought a new v-strom 1000.
    CheapB likes this.
  7. scfrank

Oddometer:
    I’ve had a few. GS is longest lived. I’ve got a 17.5 and it’s a Great bike, probably keep it awhile. Love to add something a little smaller and more fun on FS roads. The new KTM790 looks very nice too. I had a 450exc years ago and would love another like it.
  8. scfrank

Oddometer:
    The new 1000 v-Strom looks very nice. I had an 03 1000 and liked it.
    Lzeplin likes this.
  9. SuhthernBoy

SuhthernBoy Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Well, @CheapB I see your GS is already for sale in the flea market, you must've already made your mind up. Short attention span much, need a little Ritalin or Adderall? I'm in agreement with @SidewinderX , great bike, not much protection, I'd add that you can probably do 2 up but not as comfortably. I've a friend who has 20+ bikes, have heard him say several times, if he could only have one, it'd be a GS or GSA. But, once you get the itch, there's only one cure, good luck on selling your GS, dibs on the Illium pegs :ricky.
    CheapB likes this.
  10. CheapB

CheapB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haha, sorry, I didn’t make that clear. It was the drz that had a big bore kit (think it was a 44- something) and stroked with hot cams and big ol mx carb on it. I bought it that way, it really was a hoot to ride, that’s why in some ways I could only imagine the 690! Even with all of that motor work on the drz, I’d say it probably put out around 50hp or so. This was my drz

IMG_5008.jpg

Btw, I loved my vee2! Great bike! Only reason I sold it was the deal I found on the 09 GS! That’s what usually happens! I run across a deal to try a bike I’ve heard great things about and I just can’t control the urge. :lol3
    Extremenc, mikegc and Lzeplin like this.
  11. CheapB

CheapB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not a done deal until it’s a done deal. I’m still thinking, but never hurts to gauge the market while you’re thinking. That can help persuade me one way or another lol.
  12. Rusty Rocket

Oddometer:
    rode up to Carver's Gap today image558.jpg
    [​IMG]
    beautiful day for a ride
  13. scfrank

Oddometer:
    Thought about going up to Buzzards Roost yesterday. Nope, not via this route anyway.

14. bnsutton

bnsutton 2017 R1200 GSA

Oddometer:
    My parents live in Roan Mountain. Sutton Place Farm on 19E. Love the ride up to Carvers Gap and down the other side into NC. Just great road. Have you tried Smokey Mountain Bakers in Roan Mountain? Best place you'll ever find for breakfast, pizza, bread etc. Can't wait to get back up there to visit and of course ride!
    pike, Rusty Rocket, tireatr and 3 others like this.
  15. Rusty Rocket

Oddometer:
    we rode up to Carver's from Roan Mtn and went down the NC side. Lot sunnier and no ice on the NC roads. Down to Bakersville and then 226 (I think) to Unicoi, and back to JC

The road into Bakersville from Carvers was great and the pavement was brand new recently.
  16. Bad Piggy

Bad Piggy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Whew!!!! Just got finished reading this entire thread over about 2 weeks when I had a couple of extra minutes here and there.
    My buddy and I have ridden the majority of area that has been posted by other inmates and it reminds me how lucky we are to live where we do. Well actually not lucky to be in CLT, but close to the hills. We stayed at BRMC last summer and a rider up from Florida asked where we were from. I told him and his reply was, do you realize how lucky you are?. I smiled sheepishly and nodded.....yes, yes I do.
    Not sure how I have not come across any of you guys anywhere over my travels from upstate SC to midway through Va.
    I spoke with Sidewinder a while back about riding down Walker Mtn Rd, but haven't been back in that neck of the woods in a while. I'm ready to get Betty back out and do some rippage with my new Motoz Tractionator's.
    If y'all see two 990's, one black and one orange roaming around, please stop us and introduce yourself. IMG_20171118_162819296.jpg
  17. Vico1

Vico1 The Maestro Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey everyone. New to Johnson City TN from Florida Panhandle and looking for riding buddies

I have GS1200 and a DR650 with me and a 5hunny in Florida. I normally ride N Georgia and WNC.

Lookin for adventure!
    Shekinahglori, Diamondman and CheapB like this.
  18. MTBRALPH

MTBRALPH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It’s nice to see someone else in the Charlotte area. I live in Waxhaw. If you want to get together and do a mostly gravel and dirt ride give me a shout.
    Ralph
    zooomer and CheapB like this.
  19. CheapB

CheapB Long timer

Oddometer:
    very cool! Welcome to all of y'all that are "new" to the thread anyway, and to Vico1 being new to the area! Congrats Vico, you don't know what a wise choice you have made!!! Whenever this weather clears a bit, we need to get us a ride scheduled and get together! I would say to keep an eye out for me, but honestly, no one knows what I'll be riding when, not even me?! :lol3
    Rusty Rocket and SidewinderX like this.
  20. Bad Piggy

Bad Piggy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No doubt....we normally take a day ride on SuperBowl Sunday just putting around the Sandhills and or Uwharrie area on our 990's. Was planning on riding our singles in that day, but I'm not sure mine will be out back together by then.
    I'll let you know if we go out for sure.
    MTBRALPH and zooomer like this.