Riding North Carolina, TN and VA

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Extremenc, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Robco

Robco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Curtis Creek is usually gated until the opening weekend of trout season. I haven't been up there to check but I'd assume it will open on the first weekend in April.
    tireatr, Lzeplin and Magile like this.
  2. Shekinahglori

Shekinahglori Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Extremenc, Lzeplin, CheapB and 3 others like this.
  3. Shekinahglori

Shekinahglori Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Green River Rd...Cascade Lake Rd...Sky Valley Rd...lots of scenery, lots of gravel, and quite a bit of standing water and mud everywhere!

Attached Files:

CheapB, scfrank and SidewinderX like this.
  4. SidewinderX

SidewinderX Hey, watch this! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Shekinahglori - How do you like the new Mitas tires?

I have the previous tread pattern but will need some new tires soon. I’m on the fence about which way to go. They are going on a BMW 800gs that I keep in the dirt as much as possible. Front will stay a TKC80 due to aggressive traction needs.

Thanks
  5. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:

Green River Rd must be under water and very slick at this point.
  6. Shekinahglori

Shekinahglori Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like the extra umph in the dirt, and it's really good in gravel. I don't have much off-road experience, but my impression yesterday, was that super-saturated nc red clay is not what the Mitas 07+ was made for.
    The gravel road that I took from Sky Valley back down to Green River really tested the limit of my skill level! Where it crested the mountain at 3200ft, it looked more like a defunct logging road than anything else. Red mud and deep washouts everywhere! I couldn't stop to take pics, because I was afraid I would be able to get started again...an absolute GLORIOUS day!
    CheapB and SidewinderX like this.
  7. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like Pinnacle Mtn Road.
    Mulebiscuit likes this.
  8. Shekinahglori

Shekinahglori Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes! That was it!
  9. jfauerba

jfauerba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Update on forest service roads around Asheville Sunday afternoon, 3/24/19:
    Bent Creek and Wash Creek near parkway are closed. Wash Creek at N. Mills River campground was open. Assume it was closed and the normal spot heading to parkway.
    Yellow Gap open
    Headwater road (FS 475B) is open on Hwy 276 end but found out the hard way it was closed at 475. Had to walk the bike around the end of the gate.
    FS 475 open all the way to end (Indian/Shoal Creek roads)
    Averys Creek open
    All roads was good shape except the one big mud hole that was there last year on either 475b or 475 (forgot which one). There is a path on one side that was wide enough to ride past it. The path did not exist last Fall and I turned around at it plus I had a larger less capable bike at that time.

Anybody has a status of Curtis Creek to Parkway and toe river on the other side?
    Amphib and scfrank like this.
  10. Lzeplin

Lzeplin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Curtis Creek should open April 1st. Both roads on the South toe sides are still closed from the floods, as well as stoney fork. I saw a friend that works for the forest service, and he said they hadn't even started repairs .. Said maybe sometime this summer they would be back open.. sucks that was my main evening ride's!
  11. Robco

Robco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's exactly what I was going to say!
  12. MaverickNC

MaverickNC Gnarly Dude

Oddometer:
    Finally got around to putting together a video from my bi-annual trip to Robbinsville last fall. Just in time for the trip coming up in a few weeks :lol3

Skip ahead to 25:40 for some footage of Old NC 105/Kistler Highway after the week after the hurricane last year. Pretty rough! :super

13. BaldKnob

BaldKnob I Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    IMG_0866 (1).JPG Maverick, I camped up on 105 on that Wednesday before the storm and the road was already beat up. 2018 was a record year for rain thru most parts of the State. Thanks for uploading the video and glad you were able to retrieve your pannier.
    EZMoney and MaverickNC like this.
  14. MaverickNC

MaverickNC Gnarly Dude

Oddometer:
    @BaldKnob Thanks. I can't wait to get back up there and do more riding and camping.
  15. tireatr

tireatr Let's go for a ride

Oddometer:
    A Robco sighting!
  16. stinkfinger

stinkfinger Chickenfat dirtbiker

Oddometer:
    I dont know about curtis creek but the roads by me that are supposed to be opened on april 2,
    were a couple weeks late being reopened last year.

Tony
  17. MaverickNC

MaverickNC Gnarly Dude

Oddometer:
    Another video posted. This is from October of last year when my buddy Nick and I went moto-"glamping" in the Lake Toxaway area. Hit Curtis Creek, BRP, Yellow Gap, etc. on the way there. Great times!!

Extremenc, Lzeplin and CheapB like this.
  18. mhr650

mhr650 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

I was also disappointed to find the gate closed at the end of 475B, I wasn’t sure I could walk the big 1290 around the gate so I just turned around and rode it back the other way.

On my first time through 475B I came to the big mud hole you were talking about and there was a guy in a Camry poking the depth of the water with a stick. It is nothing on a bike since there is a good ride around line, but on my way back I passed him and told him that the gate was closed. He had made it through since it was downhill and he had gravity working for him but he was not looking forward to driving through the same mud hole going uphill on the way back. At least there were lots of jeeps and trucks out so he should have been able to get a tow.

This Saturday is supposed to be over 70, anyone want to get a ride together? I need to get a nice hard ride in.
  19. mhr650

mhr650 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pinnacle Mountain is one of the most fun roads left around here, although it can change a lot throughout the year depending on how long since the last maintenance. The middle of last summer it was basically a gravel highway it was so smooth. If you want to get really adventurous there are side roads you can take off of it that are way more rugged…
    Shekinahglori and MTBRALPH like this.
  20. djtrik

djtrik David Reusch Jr

Oddometer:
    That's what she said.