Riding North Carolina, TN and VA

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Extremenc, Jan 23, 2017.

1. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes!! I am excited. The door prizes are very nice. Hats and T-Shirts too! :D
  2. Hurco550

Hurco550 Keep er' Between the Ditches

Oddometer:
    He was probably just mad that the DR650 had a trashcan fairing instead of a KLR.. ;)
  3. jfauerba

jfauerba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FYI, 475B is closed again on 475 (Fish Hatchery) and on other side when you get near 475, not sure how far but past the place that use to have the big hole.
    475B was open last Friday.
  4. scfrank

Oddometer:
    Anyone familiar with courthouse creek rd off of 215? Does if have an outlet over to Indian creek or somewhere else?
  5. jfauerba

Oddometer:
    Been up it last fall and gated at top. There is another road off 215, in gray below. There is a fork past the two forks after the very big clearing (logging) that you will need to take to the left and I think it is marked as a forest road that has a gate (open at the time) and goes down hill. Word of warning, the last 1/2 mile is very steep and rocky down hill to explorer/Charles creek road. There was also a tree about 5" round across the road before that section that I had to go over (nc700x with skid plate bottomed out, African twin went right over). I added the full road to openstreet FS4663 last year
    upload_2019-4-11_19-36-41.png
  6. scfrank

Oddometer:
    I’ve seen that road on 215. Right next to a driveway. Thanks.
  7. mhr650

mhr650 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    FS4663 is fun, especially like you say that first half mile from Charlies Creek.

I did a nice loop last weekend, started off at Bent Creek up to the Parkway, down Wash Creek to Mills River Campground, across Yellow Creek to 276, down 475B to 475 across to 215. From there Tamassee Gap to Wolf Mountain Road, then FS4663 back to 215, up to the Parkway and home, 100 miles of fun.

The top, rugged part of Wolf Mountain had a lot of water. Fortunately it is so rocky up there that the puddles are not too deep and have a hard bottom.
  8. SidewinderX

SidewinderX Hey, watch this! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    My brother and I are headed across from Boone area to Newport this Wed, Th.

Looking to ride Hurricane Creek finally and around the Max Patch area.

Hope it’s not a mud fest.
    Amphib likes this.
  9. mhr650

Oddometer:
    I suspect that Hurricane Creek will be a nightmare after all the rain we have had lately. Are you going to the Big Jim rally in Newport? Looks like we will have our own share of weather related drama with that ride.
  10. SidewinderX

Oddometer:
    Wasn’t aware of a rally. We have just wanted to come out and ride the area. Planned for it last fall but plans fell through.

We are staying at the Hampton Inn in Newport (free with my Hilton Honor Points). It’s just one night as of now.

We will be on a GS700 and GS800 this time.
  11. tireatr

tireatr Let's go for a ride

Oddometer:
    Good plan to avoid Fri-Sun. Doesn't seem to rain much on Tues-Wed 'round these parts
    slacker1965 and SidewinderX like this.
  12. SidewinderX

Oddometer:
    That’s definitely the trend this year!
  13. mhr650

Oddometer:
    They do a really poor job of promoting these rallies, I did the fall ones in Pineola NC and Renfro Valley KY last year and they were fun. the downside for someone like me on the 1290 is that we end up getting 5 adventure bikes and 100 dirt bikes and I always end up following the dirt bikes down a path that I shouldn’t be on with 550lbs of bike…

slate-creek-adventures-2019.jpg
  14. jfauerba

Oddometer:
    I assume Hurricane Creek WILL be a mud fest.
  15. SidewinderX

Oddometer:
    In case it is...
    Anyone have recommendations of must ride roads in the area?
  16. jfauerba

Oddometer:
    Never road Wolf Mountain yet. Your loop is very similar to mine accept I current skip "Tamassee Gap to Wolf Mountain Road, then FS4663 back to 215," and take Cathy Creek, uturn back down 475, down 276 to pick up Avery's Creek, back on yellow gap and wash creek and parkway home. Did that yesterday except having to do a uturn on 475b due to road closed. Normally around 120 mile loop for me with a few more yesterday.

Only rode FS4663 once last fall with somebody else so not comfortable riding it myself especially that 1/2 mile section. Not too skilled of a rider once the gravel road gets too rough. Also new Versys-x 300 with only about 1,000 just bought in Feb. No skid plate and just installed a gravel guard (homemade) on it.
  17. jfauerba

Oddometer:
    If gravel, some of the roads just mention along with Martha Sunquest in TN (near Max patch). Old catalochee road (about same quality as maxpatch and Round Mountain), on other side of I40 from Martha Sunquest.
    Tellico Road between Franklin and Robbinsville.
    Cutis Creek if need to get between parkway and Hwy 70 near old fort.
    SidewinderX likes this.
  18. mhr650

Oddometer:
    If you are up around Max Patch or Martha Sundquist you can take Cold Springs Creek road all the way down to the Harmon Den exit on I40. From there take 288 up and check out buzzards roost overlook, it is 1500ft straight down and pretty cool. If you stay on 288 all the way it brings you to Mt Sterling road, turn left and it will bring you into Cataloochee valley where the elk live which is pretty cool. If you stay on 288 all the way it is a good forest service road, but just past Buzzards Roost there are roads that turn off to both the right and left that still bring you to Mt Sterling road but are much tougher than the main road, they are fun but steep and rocky.
  19. SidewinderX

Oddometer:
    That was my overall plan. I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing anything.

Thanks
  20. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    I'll keep a look out for you. Riding the area leaving asheville tues, making a big week long counterclockwise loop. Probably camp in Harmon den Tues night. Red white and blue africa twin, my buddy on a red old airhead gs.