Riding North Carolina, TN and VA

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Extremenc, Jan 23, 2017.

1. mhr650

mhr650 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's interesting how all of the maps have the roads out there wrong. Flat Branch is fine for an off road capable motorcycle but I wouldn't want to head down it in my little daily driver.
  2. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure wrong is always the right way to put it. I think many have numbers associated with the forest service, then a local name.... Maybe before or after the forest service took over the area? I rarely use GPS or electronic navigation. I collect paper maps and make roll charts.... All the maps I use show the fs roads as numbers, whereas looking online, Google etc, many will use a name. I guess it's part of the charm of exploration. Also, every paper map I have of the cataloochee area, uses 288 to name the entire length of road from 1397 to cold springs creek road. On some maps, 1397 is also Mt sterling rd.....not in front of me but isn't that also cataloochee turnpike? Anyway, it's fascinating and like collecting maps, I like collecting names. When my wife was doing outdoor education, leading adventures with kids into the national parks, they were constantly trying to inform the powers that be of mistakes..... Not one of which was corrected or even responded to.
    SidewinderX likes this.
  3. SidewinderX

SidewinderX Hey, watch this! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    No wonder nobody can find it....
    I posted the Roost picture on Facebook and have had 8 people ask me how to get there. Many have stated that they can’t find it.
    Diamondman and djtrik like this.
  4. stinkfinger

stinkfinger Chickenfat dirtbiker

Oddometer:
    I think it only has the one little sign there, of a guy tumbling off a cliff:lol3

Tony
    CheapB, kickstand72 and SidewinderX like this.
  5. mhr650

mhr650 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    It’s a piece of cake if you come from I40, only one easy road all the way from the interstate to the overlook. After the overlook other roads split off and you have 3 different options that connect with Mt Sterling/Cataloochee Turnpike. If you stay on the main Forest Service road it is fine even for a passenger car, the other options not so much. Most of the maps are terrible, things like showing that the Tower Trail is a loop that comes back to the main road but in reality it dead ends at the tower.
  6. CheapB

CheapB Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    what did you do this time stinky? :lol3
  7. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys I'm in MD and I spend a lot of time riding VA, NC, and TN but it's been mostly street. Looking to head down again this year but would like a good bit of dirt and gravel. Looking for route info as well as small town and food stops. Will most like stay at Willville MC campground one night, as we love hitting Floyd, VA on Friday nights for bluegrass. FS288 and Buzzard Roost just made my list, then might head over to Damascus, VA and take the MABDR back up... Just because.
    Any recommendations coming from around Front Royal, VA would be appreciated. Not looking to zig zag up and down the mountains too much or technical single track as we do need to make a little forward progress in order to get back on time. Work thing :-(.
    We'll be on DR650's.

Thanks
  8. stinkfinger

stinkfinger Chickenfat dirtbiker

Oddometer:
    I stayed at the top and heeded the sign:muutt
    Its amazing how much the area is changing.

Tony
    Amphib and SidewinderX like this.
  9. Shekinahglori

Shekinahglori Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Curtis Creek was lovely today!

On another note, if you are in the Town Mtn Rd/ Chunns cove area, Vance Gap is blocked halfway down, due to the road washing away down the mountain. There's only about 4ft left of a 20' wide gravel road, and even that is hollowed out underneath.
    bobw, Amphib and BaldKnob like this.
  10. BaldKnob

BaldKnob I Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    A great road in SWVA is 16N from Marion to Tazewell. From there, go east into Burkes Garden then south to 42 and find your way back to the BDR. Have fun!
    Magile, CheapB, Amphib and 4 others like this.
  11. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks I appreciate it! I've been to Tazewell and Marion but not sure if it was on 16. Never heard of Burkes Garden. Have to look at last year's route. Last year we spent 10 days between WV, KY, and VA and avoided people and traffic as much as possible. Very nice trip.
    Amphib likes this.
  12. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't want to hog up this thread with my questions but is there a thread going where people post favorite food stops in the NC, TN, VA area? Don't care if it's hot dogs, steak, breakfast, ice cream or pie... Especially pie!
    New to GPS and trying to create food POI's all over. Eat to ride, ride to eat :-) I don't care for franchise stuff and don't like yelp and such.

Thanks
    Mottsie and djtrik like this.
  13. jfauerba

jfauerba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I assume 623 from Burkes Garden south to 42. Is 623 paved or gravel. If gravel, about how many miles?
    Sonny S. likes this.
  14. BaldKnob

BaldKnob I Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    You mentioned staying at Willville, I would ask Will for local intel. We usually do breakfast at Janes in Meadows of Dan and dinner at the Crooked Rd Cafe just east of MoD on 58. Stuart isn't far and there is a good restaurant there as well. Asking a local is, most likely, the best way to go.
  15. BaldKnob

BaldKnob I Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    Paved while riding in the valley turning to gravel once past the last farmhouse. Looks like about 4 miles or so, with a lot of switchbacks. Nothing technical or challenging, just a nice ride through the wood. Can be dun with a cruiser, no problem.
    Sonny S. likes this.
  16. SuhthernBoy

SuhthernBoy Wanderer

Oddometer:
    It's actually 10 miles but not too difficult. Crosses the AT at the top, watch for hikers.
    Sonny S. and BaldKnob like this.
  17. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks yeah I've been to both of those places and you're right, asking locals is always the best bet. That's what I'm doing here :-).
    I've stayed at Willville maybe 5-6 times, always great. Had a Goldwing group invite me to their camp for breakfast one morning. That was cool. They carry lots of goodies.
    Just trying to get a few places marked on the GPS just like gas stops or points of interest really. Just to have an idea what's close by before passing it.
    Thanks for the input
  18. ibdye

ibdye n00b

Oddometer:
    I did the 10 miles from Burkes Garden to Rt 42 on a BMW R1100RTP a few years ago without any issues. Although, I did get a lot of strange looks from the Jeep types that I met :)
  19. MaverickNC

MaverickNC Gnarly Dude

Oddometer:
    Here's a video from my recent trip out to Robbinsville and the surrounding area. Only 2 mechanical failures all weekend :)

BaldKnob and Amphib like this.
  20. Shekinahglori

Shekinahglori Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What a lovely day! Did a loop through Marion up 221 through Linville, then down 181, across 183 to that little gem 'Old NC 105'. That was a fun day!
    IMG_20190503_113311811.jpg IMG_20190503_110630121.jpg IMG_20190503_112049315.jpg IMG_20190503_110638389.jpg