Riding North Carolina, TN and VA

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Extremenc, Jan 23, 2017.

1. jfauerba

jfauerba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Went though Thursday on Maple Sally along with other roads in the area. We first notice no pot holes, then saw signs that grading might have recently been done. Then actually crossed paths with two road graders grading the road while I was there along with clean up the ditches. Only old 105 near parkway was little challenging.
  2. Extremenc

Extremenc NC Mtn. Man

Oddometer:
    I would think all these roads would be open. They are not seasonal, and we are in the season anyway. Also Table Rock road on the west side of 181.
    BaldKnob, bobw, Lzeplin and 1 other person like this.
  3. Extremenc

Extremenc NC Mtn. Man

Oddometer:
    Hate to hear this!
  4. Extremenc

Extremenc NC Mtn. Man

Oddometer:
    Dang! That's right. You gone all KTM now!
  5. Magile

Magile Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. CheapB

CheapB Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ve got one for you to ride now Jim! You need to take the RC8r for a spin... :evil

IMG_5726.jpg
  7. djtrik

djtrik David Reusch Jr

Oddometer:
    So much orange! I love it!
    Extremenc and CheapB like this.
  8. Lzeplin

Lzeplin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow you got it bad! Lol What are the other two beside the RC8r? That's a awesome collection, congrats!
    Extremenc likes this.
  9. CheapB

Oddometer:
    I traded my GS for the 1190 adventure just a week or so ago. The other is the 690 enduro with supermoto kit. I haven’t even tried it with the dirt wheels yet, but let me tell you, it’s about the most fun I’ve had on 2 in sumo trim! The RC8r is only here temporarily. It will be for sale soon, it’s just one of those “I had to try for the price” kinda bikes. Always been on my “wanted” list. Funny thing is, I’ve never owned a Ktm before this year. :lol3
    Extremenc, bobw, djtrik and 2 others like this.
  10. djtrik

djtrik David Reusch Jr

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you've got the orange itch bad. Good for you! I've always wanted to try the RC8 as well. Seems like it'd be a fun and raw race machine. Our local dealer had one for the longest time and it was very tempting to grab it but I never pulled the trigger because I'd probably only take it to the track.

I might be grabbing a Adv 790R next year...
  11. CheapB

Oddometer:
    I'm struggling with that really bad at the moment. It's been quite a few years since I've been to the track, but I'm struggling really bad with taking this while I have it!
    Extremenc likes this.
  12. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:
    I've been eyeing the 790 Duke. Looks very Sumo-ish except is a twin. It seems like a bike I'd enjoy carving through the backroads, but also okay for longer trips.
  13. mhr650

mhr650 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The 790 Duke should be a blast on the twisty roads we have around here. I have an Aprilia Tuono which is similar to the Duke although heavier than the 790 and it is massive fun in the twisties, I can go way faster on it than on a full sportbike like the RC8R.
    bobw, GlennR, tireatr and 1 other person like this.
  14. CheapB

Oddometer:
    I have no doubt if it was me vs me on 690 vs RC8, me riding the 690 would smoke me riding the RC8 on most twisty roads. Now a more sweeping turns smooth road, give me the RC8, because then you can just cruise through the bends at 100mph. :lol3
    Extremenc, bobw, mhr650 and 5 others like this.
  15. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    Leaving on a 30 hour trip in a bit... Doing a loop from asheville... hot springs to south Holston lake, back home through Linville Gorge. Loosely planned, no agenda only paper maps..... I'll try to get some pics. One of these days Ill make an attempt at a ride report, trouble is I get so enthralled with the experience, documentation flies out the window and who wants a ride report with minimal pics! :lol3
    Extremenc, bobw, Lzeplin and 4 others like this.
  16. jeffmackvision

jeffmackvision Boob man Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree. While i enjoy many RPs it’s something i don’t/can’t do. Just not my thing. Like social media..... i have zero..... just not my thing. I am glad that people take the time to do RPs, I’ve found many great places to visit and roads i may have missed.
    I’ll just stick to the riding.
    bobw, Amphib, djtrik and 2 others like this.
  17. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    :lol3

I have the same trouble. I have a lot of pics from the parking area at the start and end of rides. I forget the camera in between.
    Extremenc, bobw, Amphib and 2 others like this.
  18. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep same here. I REALLY enjoy reading them. It would take me longer to type up a nice ride report than it would to do the ride. Not only that I don't think about pictures until after the opportunity. Bike takes a nap, I pick it up. I don't think... Better get my camera. Thanks to those that take those pics though. I like looking at them.
    As for social media Adventure Rider is my social media.
    bobw, Amphib, djtrik and 1 other person like this.
  19. djtrik

djtrik David Reusch Jr

Oddometer:
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that does this. I struggle to remember to even take pictures. I really would like to do one at least once though because whenever I do take pictures and come across them again I always wish I had taken more and even short videos as I reminisce the memories if that trip. I don't know about you guys but after all these trips they end up blending together in my memory and it takes photo evidence to bring back the details.

One feature that I really liked is having a gopro type camera set to take a photo on its own every few minutes or so. Battery life lasts many hours and the memory card space doesn't get filled up nearly as quick. You end up with hundreds of photos to skim through but it takes less than 20 minutes to filter out the good ones which is a lot less time it takes to edit video. I was surprised how many cool photos were taken by pure chance. Passing cages, pre-entry or mid-corner snaps, neat images of a curvy road. It really helped bring the feeling back. Even better if your camera supports snapping a photo on-demand. Then you can capture scenic views while you're passing by.
    Extremenc, bobw, Amphib and 2 others like this.
  20. djtrik

djtrik David Reusch Jr

Oddometer:
    Some examples: IONX0031.JPG IONX0038.JPG IONX0041.JPG G0020215.JPG G0020254.JPG G0030377.JPG G0020326.JPG G0010164.JPG IONX0141.JPG IONX0054.JPG
    ShimrMoon, Lzeplin, Extremenc and 6 others like this.