Riding North Carolina, TN and VA

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Extremenc, Jan 23, 2017.

1. CheapB

CheapB Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    that's why you have to do trips with good friends that have good cameras and good editing skills and let them do all of the work. :lol3

@Uncle Dude

actually though, quite a few of those pics were taken by my wife from the back of the bike. :D
    Lzeplin, bobw, 68vette and 3 others like this.
  2. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where was picture #3 taken?
  3. djtrik

djtrik David Reusch Jr

Oddometer:

Yeah that video was well done! I really hope the guy on the bike that came across the two "big foots" was NOT part of the group, haha
    Amphib likes this.
  4. CheapB

Oddometer:
    :lol3 unfortunately, he was. If he was NOT, that would have made for a MUCH better story. :D
    bobw likes this.
  5. djtrik

djtrik David Reusch Jr

Oddometer:
    Somewhere out in Shawnee State Forest in Ohio. Same area where the photo of the fire tower was taken. There were some cool forest roads there that were in rougher shape than that (which made them more fun) but nothing the road-biased SMT couldn't handle. The fire tower wasn't blocked off either so I was able to climb to the top. Really cool area believe it or not.

shawnee state forest.png
    Amphib, CheapB and Sonny S. like this.
  6. CheapB

Oddometer:
    ^ that is an outstanding area! I've only been once (about 4yrs ago or twelve motorcycles ago :lol3), and only for 2 days, and it was raining then! I really need to go back and explore, loved what I did get to experience while there.
    Amphib and djtrik like this.
  7. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    Had a great trip. It was a surprisingly rainy start, but cleared up mid morning. I just love rural America. I feel pretty damn lucky to have such diversity to see on my rides. The plan was to make a loop, staying on as much gravel as possible, cutting corners, finding cut throughs, avoiding main highways till heading home via 421 then exploring Linville Gorge.

Once I got into the vacinity of South Holston lake, I was pretty bummed by all the trash... The national forest appears to be a dumping ground for the locals... Construction debris, mattresses, tvs, couches. I spoke with a local who talked about the troubles with the drugs there... Meth, illegal pot grows. Another rider came through while we were looking for a place to camp and missed a road block.... In the national forest! So I understand that the management there must have other duties on top of what I'd normally expect. Another thing was locked gates everywhere. Very few we came to were open. Now I have a reverence for our national forests, monuments, and parks...my trips are usually focused on these places. I have an immense respect for the land and the people working there. I haven't ridden around a gate since I was a kid. We did on this trip, usually to come across severe washouts or huge downed trees. A couple of months ago I spoke to rangers in Daniel boone who mentioned the govt shutdown had them behind, but here was different, these roads looked like they had been closed for years.

The pavement was amazing.

All in all it was a fantastic trip. I tried using a hammock for camping this trip..... Sleeping on the ground just isn't working for my rusty chain back anymore. So that was a win.

Coming home to asheville, I feel incredibly appreciative for the work folks do to care for the national forests here. I know groups like defend pisgah are out there, tho I think their message is getting a bit to aggressive with their one less tourist imagery. These forests are hallowed ground to me, I feel ownership to these places and want to experience them as pristinely as possible.

Bit of a rant I guess, but that's just what my prevailing feelings are upon returning home. I think up there they have more of a local problem, down here our troubles are more tourist related.

I think I took 10 pics total... :lol3

20190518_141931.jpg 20190517_172716.jpg 20190517_112853.jpg 20190518_141753.jpg
  8. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    perfect description. I'm gonna borrow that one :D
    Shekinahglori and Amphib like this.
  9. djtrik

djtrik David Reusch Jr

Oddometer:
    along with your rusty rocket
  10. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    wife keeps asking "when you gonna move up from 2 strokes?" :photog
    AlH, djtrik and Amphib like this.
  11. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    So from Lake Tahoma area on a Dual Sport bike which might be a better option? Love gravel or good paved twisties. I've seen pictures here and talk about Curtis Creek Rd looking nice.

A : NC80 / Buck Creek Rd. North to the BRP

B : head down and pick up US70 to Curtis Creek Rd. And up the the BRP
    Shekinahglori likes this.
  12. Robco

Robco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Its all in the style of riding that you're wanting to do and the length of the day that you're wanting to ride. hwy 80 is a great road that should't be passed up if you're staying at the lake.
  13. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well we've got about 7-8 days and we're just riding. Coming down out of Maryland and usually every June take a trip down VA, NC, TN, WV. This year on DR650's so we want to incorporate more dirt and gravel but the paved twisties are always fun on any bike.
    Not staying at the lake but hitting Buffalo Mercantile and then passing down by the lake. Well I don't guess we're staying there. Don't have plans to stay anywhere yet because we don't know where we'll be each night. I hate being committed to stay somewhere because then that's where you have to be even if you're having a good time somewhere else.
    Amphib likes this.
  14. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is part of the general route but subject to change each day. Screenshot_2019-05-22-09-07-49.jpg
  15. tireatr

tireatr Let's go for a ride

Oddometer:
    Hey Sonny I'm in Little Switzerland every weekend. Let me know when you'll be around and we can do some riding.
    Sonny S. and CheapB like this.
  16. Robco

Robco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If there is any route advice I could give is listen to the tireatr, I live where you're coming to ride and he gets me lost on roads that I have lived near all my life.
    tireatr, Sonny S. and CheapB like this.
  17. CheapB

Oddometer:
    I always called him the human road map. :D
    MaverickNC and Sonny S. like this.
  18. Robco

Robco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm with you on that. I think he just sits at work and studies Google maps :-)
    tireatr and CheapB like this.
  19. tireatr

tireatr Let's go for a ride

Oddometer:
    Shhhh Don't tell my boss
    bobw and Sonny S. like this.
  20. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wish I could take you up on that!! I doubt even Google knows what you know about the area. It's my girlfriend and myself on a little vacation and most likely won't stay in one place long. We'll probably be going through Little Switzerland between Tues and Thurs week after next. Even that's a probably.. Lol
    bobw and CheapB like this.