Riding North Carolina, TN and VA

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Extremenc, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    Gee, I would have had to go through Shady Valley and Backbone Rock on my way there. (Sarah's)
    Extremenc and bobw like this.
  2. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Still in route planning mode. But was thinking that was an option because we might head over to Marion.
    So many great roads. I really want to take Maple Sally north to Betsy's after leaving Buffalo Mercantile. Maple Sally looks too good to pass up from the reports if seen on here. Is old 105 from Linville Falls to Lake James worth going outta the way for?
    Extremenc likes this.
  3. kmw

kmw Adventure. Er...

Oddometer:
    Old 105 (Kistler) is definitely worth going out of the way for once. I prefer riding it south to north but the views are better north to south.

Maple Sally and Brown Mountain Beach are worth going out of the way for but be careful on BMB - as the temps climb, the river becomes a playground and idiots of every flavour treat BMB as a dirt racetrack. I won’t drive or ride it during the day on summer weekends.
    kickstand72, Wind Junky, bobw and 3 others like this.
  4. SuhthernBoy

SuhthernBoy Wanderer

Oddometer:
    @CheapB, looks like a great ride, hate I had to work.
    bobw and CheapB like this.
  5. CheapB

CheapB Long timer

Oddometer:
    We will hit some good stuff on a weekend one of these days.
    bobw likes this.
  6. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    Had a great ride with Cheap and being the day after the Holiday we had the roads almost all to ourselves, just a beautiful day to enjoy.

Brad we weren't lost, but when I hit the "where am I" tab on my GPS it did say "you don't want to know........"

We are Blessed to live here. I have thoroughly enjoyed the riding and folks I've met on trips all over the place and especially how each Region has it's own unique "feel" to it, but on my way back home I never fail to start grinning when I enter the Smoky's-Appalachians as there is truly something special about these friendly old mountains. Plus we have BBQ and Shine so there's no need to even ponder the best place to be, we offer the best quality of life :1drink:1drink
    Extremenc, drumdog, tireatr and 8 others like this.
  7. SidewinderX

SidewinderX Hey, watch this! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sometimes I forget that our backyard has some of the best riding in the States!

I think that I sufficiently knocked the mold release off the new shoes today!

I know- these 400+ lb bikes are not supposed to go in these places. Apparently nobody told my bike that.
    She went down single track, ATV trails, dirt connectors, and 28 - TWENTY EIGHT creek crossings this evening. She is definitely a keeper!

5BD62E9E-280E-4E30-935A-2FAC909F607A.jpeg 378C58F5-D76D-4279-871A-51EFD4F0A97E.jpeg B8179B71-E907-4DFC-93B1-58FBDC09AE26.jpeg 2571E99A-4172-49F3-A18A-B6BAAD572141.jpeg
  8. djtrik

djtrik David Reusch Jr

Oddometer:
    Looks like it was a darn good time
    Extremenc and SidewinderX like this.
  9. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    That sounds exactly like what my DR650 craves
  10. SidewinderX

Oddometer:
    It’s the perfect place for a DR!
    Last time I went all the way through with an old friend on a DR650. We ended up singletracking it all the way up the mountain to the BRP. Unfortunately now a nice iron gate kept me from continuing all the way up.

I would be glad to take anyone there, but I always try to not post the location on the internet. I first rode there @15yrs ago. It has changed a lot since then.
    Extremenc, GlennR, bobw and 6 others like this.
  11. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    You runnin' the stock gearing on that Harley :D

Beautiful photos!

I got my crash bars and skid plate on today for the ate fiddy and pondering which foot pegs and bar risers next. I'm spooning on some Conti Trail Attack3s Tuesday as the Karoo3s won't make it through a trip to New England and back I leave for on Thursday. I'm liking the F bike and glad I decided to finally get one.

Cheers
    Extremenc, Amphib and SidewinderX like this.
  12. SidewinderX

Oddometer:
    Your gonna love the mid weight bike! I’ve had mine coming up on 2yrs and haven’t put 500 miles on the 1200GS since I got the 800. The old Triple Black has become wall art.

Stock gearing. It has the full exhaust with decat and AX-Fied. Supposed to give it 95ish Hp and drop the weight to 465ish... idk - depends on what intercrap you believe.

I do know that when you get to the fun stuff, she has too much Hp and weight. BUT, those make it a fun ride while getting there.

I’ve been lusting your bike for awhile now. Keep me in mind when you trade in 6 months. ;-)
    Amphib and bobw like this.
  13. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:

:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl
    SidewinderX likes this.
  14. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    Spending 10 days with two friends riding all over VA, NC, N. GA and TN. All pavement stuff as I’m on a big Triumph pig; they’re on a Honda AT and a 1150GS.

Starting at the top of the BRP on June 10 and have no hotel reservations or real route plans.

Yeah, we wanna do the TOTD and the Cherohala Skyway. But other than that, we’re gonna play it by ear and talk to other riders. There’s a Smoky Mountain loop, and some good looking riding down in the Chattahoochee National Forest, too.

Really looking forward to just getting out there and seeing that part of the country.
    Wierdrider, Sonny S., Amphib and 2 others like this.
  15. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    I moved to this part of the world about 7 years ago and pinch myself every day. I've been all over and lived in lots of places, but never had I really felt love for a place like I do here.
  16. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    Keeping your itinerary loose is a great way to do it. Decide where you want to stop for the day during lunch and check your options. There literally are endless routes with no real bad choices and for the first time exploring you could make changes and never go wrong. The states are all scrunched up so it's nothing to head for GA or WV or, or, or. So much fun riding, festivals of all types and endless scenery to take in.

Safe travels and enjoy your trip.
    Dan Diego and Sonny S. like this.
  17. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:
    You could spend weeks riding within 45 minutes of my place in Sugar Grove and be smiling the whole time. The entire Appalachian range is the same way, twisties everywhere. The highways are fun for beginners, but the real fun is on the county roads that run between the highways. Zoom in on the maps to discover the good stuff, and look for the higher mountains because you'll find more vertical changes around them. Stay away from the tourist areas, they'll ruin your momentum (and your adrenaline buzz!) :thumb
    Extremenc, sanjoh, CheapB and 6 others like this.
  18. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    Great day riding yesterday. Rode the Parkway out of asheville through Maggie valley to heintooga ridge rd, did that all the way to big cove, 441 to 107. Rode a bunch of gravel between there and 215. I've been exploring the paved roads over there and really love this area. Some gates that had been closed were now open. It was a gorgeous day with very little traffic.

I was trying to get back to pavement by 6:30, but having to take care on the extremely loose gravel.... A bug hit me in the face (open shield with sunglasses). A quickly realized it was a sting of some kind, got me on contact. 2 minutes later I'm burning and itching all over.... Chest tightens, difficulty breathing. I quickly get off the bike, no cell service. I start partially undressing to see the rash appearing all over, I feel like I am having a heart attack. I start running around like Ricky Bobby trying to escape the invisible fire.... I'm fucked right?

I must've pumped some adrenaline in my antics, hopefully nobody saw, because I started feeling better, still rashy and itchy, but heart and breathing seemed normalish, I was probably a bit dehydrated and low blood sugar as well, but was able to ride out. Got to a gas station took some benadryl, at this point was having no internal symptoms, itching subsides, so limped it home.

20190602_155751.jpg 20190602_171304.jpg 20190602_134239.jpg 20190602_180111.jpg This morning my face looks like the elephant man, but it's localized. I'm on the hunt for an epipen. Stay safe out there.
    Extremenc, Lzeplin, wwm66 and 12 others like this.
  19. CheapB

CheapB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear Amphib, and sorry if this seems a little insensitive, but I’m gonna need to see a pic of your face. :lol3
  20. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    "Pics or it didn't happen!" :D

Charles.