Riding North Carolina, TN and VA

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Extremenc, Jan 23, 2017.

1. BaldKnob

BaldKnob I Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    I got stung in the face last year, 30 minutes away from Tellico Plains, and was stressing big time. Not as bad a reaction as yours but still... I found some benadryl spray that helped tremendously. It lives in my tankbag and I try to keep the shield down while underway.
    bobw, Extremenc, Amphib and 1 other person like this.
  2. NxtGoRnd

NxtGoRnd This Time Around, Wearing Out Tires Supporter

Oddometer:
    :photogYou owe me a keyboard, spit coffee all over it on the Ricky Bobby part. Well it was worth the laugh and good info. I keep benadryl when I travel but often leave it at camp or a the motel. Lessen learned, I am mildly allergic to some bites and stings and worse reactions at other times. Dad had to use the epipen when he got in his fifties but no problem when he was younger, yellow jacket almost took him out in his fifties.
  3. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:
    Probably not drinking enough alcohol. :freaky
    bobw, Extremenc, CheapB and 1 other person like this.
  4. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
  5. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    I'll have to look into that spray, thanks! Alabama red wasps have put me in the hospital before. I was helping a buddy move an old car out of the woods in GA and disrupted a nest... Was stung about 15 times. I don't encounter those bastards here, my job working on homes tho, ensures I get stung alot by other things, mostly yellow jackets. It's frustrating to have to be concerned about this. I hate that feeling where you're broken, helpless, and if you don't get help, you're not going to make it. I wish I could've seen what species it was.
    bobw, Lzeplin and Shekinahglori like this.
  6. CheapB

CheapB Long timer

Oddometer:
    :eek7 elephant man was right! :photog

sorry, really am glad you're alright, and hopefully the allergic reaction goes away quickly. I reckon I owe you a beer now if we ever cross paths. :beer
    bobw, mf13368, BaldKnob and 1 other person like this.
  7. SidewinderX

SidewinderX Hey, watch this! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Darn man, that looks painful!

Worst I ever had it was coming back from a “work” trip to Atlanta. Somewhere near Blue Ridge GA I had a bee smack me on the forehead and worked his way back between my cheek pad and liner. This little SOB stung me multiple times and then commenced to biting me. Took me way too long to find a pull over spot!

That was painful but I only had a minor red spot compared to yours. Wow
    bobw and Amphib like this.
  8. BaldKnob

BaldKnob I Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    Topical spray may not be enough for a true allergic reaction or multiple stings but still good to have around. Pill form benadryl knocks my ass out! same for IV (multiple YJ stings with ensuing anaphylactic shock). I slept like a baby for hours in the ER. Good times... GTs.
    bobw, tireatr and Amphib like this.
  9. tireatr

tireatr Let's go for a ride

Oddometer:
    Amphib nice pics. Sorry you got "stung" I seem to be more allergic to stings every time I get one. I keep my shield down and my jacket zipped up, but dang if they don't find a way in. I really hope I don't become so reactionary that I require and Eppepen (sp)
  10. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    At Wiseman's View now. Pic below was last stop and you know where that was :-). Having a blast!! 20190603_113013.jpg
    bobw, Extremenc, wwm66 and 8 others like this.
  11. BaldKnob

BaldKnob I Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    Watch out for stinging insects!!! Mother Nature... trying to kill Us around evar corner.
    Amphib likes this.
  12. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Man that sucks!!
    Saturday I had a bumble bee in my sleeve. Didn't know what it was but felt something moving around so I just started beating my arm on my leg to kill whatever was in there. Felt it again later and beat on it some more. Bout ten miles later at a stop I took my glove off and shook my arm and the bee dropped to the ground hurt but still moving.
  13. tireatr

Oddometer:
    Great weather for you! Down to 45 tonight, Brrrrr
    bobw likes this.
  14. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Perfect weather!!! Left Maryland Saturday morning and it been beautiful the whole time. Just jinxed myself I'm sure
  15. Robco

Robco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had another great ride with the tireatr and my other riding buddy Steve. We wore the edges of the tires OFF all day yesterday and he had me lost most of the day!
    bobw, Sonny S., Shekinahglori and 3 others like this.
  16. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    In Little Switzerland for the night. Man oh man what a beautiful area!!! ALL of this part of NC. We didn't log many miles today. Less than 100 but 65 was gravel and spent time enjoying the views. Stayed at Rider's Roost MC camp grounds last night.
    You guys have really got it made for riding.
    Gotta say thank you very much for tips and answering questions I had about roads etc. No way could I have planned such a great trip without you locals helping me out here.
    bobw, Extremenc, CheapB and 3 others like this.
  17. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sitting in a rocking chair on our patio at Big Lynn Lodge getting ready for dinner after a day of incredible riding. What's not to love. 1559599625347.jpg
    bobw, Extremenc, Lzeplin and 8 others like this.
  18. tireatr

Oddometer:
    Take 197 S out of Burnsville. After an awesome paved section of hairpins cut through the woods it becomes gravel for 10 miles or so over to Barnardsville. There you can take Dillingham road up to the backside of Craggy Gardens picnic area. The Rhododendrons are close to blooming at Craggy. A lot of fun roads to the North and West into Madison county. Find Big Laurel off Walnut Creek and take it to the left for Revere road or straight to old 23.
  19. tireatr

Oddometer:
    Hoyt runs a nice old school motel with good food served and views you can’t get just anywhere. Lots to do in the area. Stay another day or come back!
    bobw, CheapB, Sonny S. and 1 other person like this.
  20. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm gonna have to save that route for future use. Heading north from here towards Damascus, VA. Then following that MABDR route back up towards home. I used to like the riding back home lol.