Riding North Carolina, TN and VA

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Extremenc, Jan 23, 2017.

1. CheapB

CheapB Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    story of every trip I've taken. Never enough time to do everything I want! Oh well, gives us an excuse to go back for more! :D
    bobw, klaviator and Amphib like this.
  2. wwm66

wwm66 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's a 2006 Husqvarna TE 450 I picked up a few months ago after selling the WR to get back into more technical off-road riding.

That's why I went during the week had the whole place to myself, saw one other person out on the trails, a guy on a TW 200.

Let me know when you want to go ride Iron Mt, I'm always up for new places but I do need a lot more practice to get back into shape! I was way to tentative on the trails need to get my confidence up so I can attack the trails.
  3. tireatr

tireatr Let's go for a ride

Oddometer:
    Dang, You guys make riding a MC sound like work. I'm too lazy for that.
  4. Extremenc

Extremenc NC Mtn. Man

Oddometer:
    Cheap. Thanks for posting all the pics and intel. Looks like a nice relaxing ride. Little envious here.....
    bobw likes this.
  5. Extremenc

Extremenc NC Mtn. Man

Oddometer:
    It may be hard to see on a map, but the places you mention are actually a good little ride away from each other. If you are starting at Buffalo Mercantile just go south from the store on Buffalo Cove road down to hwy 268. Take 268 west to hwy 321, where you cross onto Warrior road. Cheeks BP and Grill is there. Good Eats. Go to Collettsville, where you will take a left onto Adako Road going West. The bottom of Maple Sally is called Murphy Place Road. It is a gravel road on the right. This turns into Maple Grove Church Road/Maple Sally if you turn up the hill where there is an open forest service gate. MS goes all the way to hwy 90 where you go left toward Betsy's. Remember all these forest service roads in this foothill area go up the mountains toward the top and/or the Blue Ridge Parkway, so if you are planning, You need to either take a cross road over or loop back from the top of the ridge. Looking from east to west, you have Hwy 90 west/north out of Collettsville to Mortimer (Betsy's) Edgemont, then Maple Grove Church Road, then Brown Mountain Beach Road, then paved Hwy 81, then Table Rock Road, then Old hwy 105, then paved Hwy 221 which goes from Linville Falls south to Marion, NC. West of there you have mostly a gap of towns and pavement until you get into the Asheville area.
    ShimrMoon, bobw, Lzeplin and 5 others like this.
  6. Extremenc

Extremenc NC Mtn. Man

Oddometer:
    Ah Ha! Darnell Creek, where the creek stays Risen! Good memories....
    SidewinderX likes this.
  7. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    went for a ride on Monday to beat all the rain forecast for the following week. only pic I took.

Near Damascus, VA (but still TN)
    [​IMG]
    bobw, Lzeplin, tjzondrz and 7 others like this.
  8. Extremenc

Extremenc NC Mtn. Man

Oddometer:
    Denton Valley Road. Beautiful long horns! Guy just down on the left owns them. His sister lives just to your right in the bigger white and red house. Just to your south/east is Big Creek Road, which I suppose you took up to Denton Valley. Great gravel and pavement too!
  9. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    Good eye. We started in Elizabethton, TN and rode Big Creek and Gov't Rd to Damascus for lunch, then down through Backbone Rock and turned onto McQueen Gap Rd, over to Gov't Rd again then back tracked to Elizabethton. 160 miles that day for me.
  10. Extremenc

Extremenc NC Mtn. Man

Oddometer:
    GOOD LOOP!
  11. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is VERY close to what we did including eating breakfast at Cheeks! Couldn't believe breakfast for 2 was $8!!
    I remember quite a while back someone in this thread posted a picture of one of the girls that worked there in her Cheeks t-shirt. It didn't come to me until we were eating there and I saw a shirt.
    I really need to come back to that area but just have one home base for a few day's and not pass through so quickly. Saw a lot but missed a lot.
    bobw likes this.
  12. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    BTW what the heck is with them laying down 4" of dust with a few rocks in it and calling it resurfacing a road? Sheesh after we Maple Sally Rd and before getting to Betsy's. It was fresh as can be with only one set of truck tracks. This was Monday morning. It was like plowing through sand!
    Lzeplin likes this.
  13. BaldKnob

BaldKnob I Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    That section is always like that.
  14. mhr650

mhr650 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone looking to do some riding Saturday? First time in a while with a decent weather forecast. I am thinking either go west on all the Pisgah FS roads, maybe go even further west and ride Martha Sundquist, or go east and ride Curtis Creek and beyond, decisions….
    SkyMan38 likes this.
  15. jfauerba

jfauerba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CheapB and Sonny S. like this.
  16. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was down around the Uhwarrie area a few weeks ago, just for a ride on my street bike (biiig 300 mile loop), but I didn't see anywhere obvious to go off-roading. I even stopped in at a ranger station, but there was nobody there and all the good maps were gone from the free boxes. No clue where to actually GO in Uhwarrie with a motorcycle.

Charles.
  17. kmw

kmw Adventure. Er...

Oddometer:
    Turn right out of the Outpost, right just before the bridge (Reservation Road) then right on the forest road (FR 576). Follow it to the shooting range and within just a minute you’ll see the entrance to Wolf Den Trail (easy). Stay to the right on Wolf Den and you’ll come out at FR 516. Go left on 516 and it’ll become Falls Dam. That comes out on 553 just before Haltwanger Retreat.

https://www.nc4x4.com/attachments/a...g839_7315_badinlaketrailmapapril2-jpg.112020/

There are plenty of vids of the Wolf Den loop, Slab Pile, etc, on YouTube
    FishHunt and CheapB like this.
  18. Diamondman

Diamondman Always bringing up the rear, but still having FUN!

Oddometer:
    Is this bigger bike friendly, f800gsa? I am unfortunately busy Friday, but I really want to explore some of these routes I’m seeing on here. For reference, I’ve had my bike up Hurricane Creek multiple times.
  19. CheapB

CheapB Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm planning on doing sections 1 & 2 of the MABDR this weekend with a few fellas, or else I would come hit some of that with you!
  20. mhr650

mhr650 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    These roads are much easier than Hurricane Creek, perfect for a big bike. The may be a little more washed out after last weekend but that just makes it more fun.

I will probably be doing them on Saturday.