Riding North Carolina, TN and VA

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Extremenc, Jan 23, 2017.

1. CheapB

CheapB Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Y’all keep my good buddy Bobw in your thoughts and prayers. He was rear ended at a stoplight in NY last Monday on his new 850GS. If you’ve never had the pleasure of meeting Bobw, you would know he’s no force to be reckoned with. The story goes that the tractor trailer that hit him split into 4 pieces, and he crushed each pieces wind pipe. Chuck Norris was driving the tractor trailer, God rest his soul.

Seriously though, good ol Bob is probably going to be out for this year, speedy recovery Bob, maybe I’ll be able to hit Alaska with ya now on the next run.
  2. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    Damn. Thanks for letting us know. Please pass along we're thinking about him and praying for a speedy recovery.
  3. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    +1
    bobw and SidewinderX like this.
  4. BaldKnob

BaldKnob I Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    Hate to read this happened. Sorry Bobw, get better ASAP.
    bobw, Sonny S., SidewinderX and 2 others like this.
  5. tireatr

tireatr Let's go for a ride

Oddometer:
    Bob is one of the good ones. Heal up brother.
    bobw, Shekinahglori and Amphib like this.
  6. WRKITHOT

WRKITHOT WRKITHOT

Oddometer:
    Please let me know. I want to do that also.
    Extremenc and Rusty Rocket like this.
  7. CheapB

Oddometer:
    who's this ^ fella?! :eek7

what up T?! :wave
  8. Shekinahglori

Shekinahglori Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you're wondering, Friday afternoon, while respectable folk are working hard for their money, is a great time to ride Heintooga Rd. That's where Lu C Lu and I spent ours!
    IMG_20190621_142050212.jpg IMG_20190621_142056543.jpg IMG_20190621_133627573.jpg
  9. BaldKnob

BaldKnob I Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    One of my favorite rides in the State.
  10. tireatr

tireatr Let's go for a ride

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing. It's been a loooong time since I've been on that road ( can we call it a road ?)
    bobw, Shekinahglori and Amphib like this.
  11. kmw

kmw Adventure. Er...

Oddometer:
    Decided to take the Jeep down 192 tonight from Edgemont Road in the north (just south of Grandfather/BRP on 221) to Roseboro in the south. The first half is beautiful smooth gravel. The second half (on Google Maps where it goes from a thick white line to a thin white line and it joins up with Mountains to Sea Trail)...

Ten years ago I took the 990R down there and my biggest worry was dinging the rotor on a rock or puncturing a tube and doing a roadside repair, tonight I was legitimately concerned I’d roll the Rubicon. It started raining at about the halfway point and a few times my buddy had to get out and act as spotter. A small dual sport would be a blast down there right now but I wouldn’t take a big bike through there solo, especially if it was the slightest bit slick.

I know it’s “riding” the area, not “driving” it, but I’m going against the grain to give road conditions in case anyone feels adventurous this weekend
    bobw, CheapB, BaldKnob and 1 other person like this.
  12. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    There's a tree down aways down that trail if it's the one your talking about 2 weeks ago. There was evidence of smaller bikes getting over it, but no way on my africa twin solo.
    bobw and kmw like this.
  13. kmw

kmw Adventure. Er...

Oddometer:
    All the downed trees have been cut back, it looks like the Rangers (or MtS hikers?) have been in there working this week the biggest issues were the washouts and “flexy” bits - they were pure mud and slick as snot. It’d be fun on someone else’s bike but my 1290S isn’t going through there anytime soon

After we made it through I remembered I’d wanted pics and video to share but with it storming in the holler I wasn’t walking back!
    Amphib likes this.
  14. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    Coming down from High Knob today on the road that pops out at Devils Bathtub, I had a blast. I met the grader coming up and they had just graded the whole road for about 3 miles. It was 2" deep perfect dirt. The guys I was riding with were a bit afraid of the loose stuff, but I was in my glory. You could just throw the bike sideways and scrub off speed and push up just enough dirt to make the bike (DR650) corner like it was on rails. Kind of like skiiing on a dualsport bike. It will never be that good again. I was the first vehicle through. Yeehaw
    Extremenc, scfrank, bobw and 6 others like this.
  15. Henderson757

Henderson757 Living the American Dream

Oddometer:
    Guys!! I have lived in Elkin for about a year now and work in Boone, I need some riding partners?? Anyone around the area, would love to find some awesome State or Forest roads.

Take care, Love the Pics

Sam
    ShimrMoon, CheapB and Amphib like this.
  16. ShimrMoon

ShimrMoon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My current bike is a Suzuki Burgman 400 so mostly pavement for me but there's great roads to ride just north of Elkin. Matter of fact, stop in the Sparta chamber of commerce and pick up some local maps. They have a combo of paved and gravel/dirt roads that seem to be made for motorcyclists.
  17. Henderson757

Henderson757 Living the American Dream

Oddometer:
    Got some riding in this morning, rode over to Darnell Creek. Rode it all the way to the gate and then took the steep up hill section until I dropped it on a small log. Since I was alone I turned back at that point. Awesome road though 6ABC5A15-AB53-443B-9DED-2A3AD0FB1ED7.jpeg 86183AD2-4F70-4A98-9AB0-1B933236489B.jpeg A702E9D6-8D19-4066-B030-2A76033AA1FA.jpeg
  18. CheapB

Oddometer:
    Nice spot up here near Criders, VA.

IMG_6411.jpg
  19. CheapB

Oddometer:
    Panoramic view off the front porch.

IMG_6413.jpg
  20. PurpleTiger

PurpleTiger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice ride in NC and Va today.... found this little lunch spot btwn Wytheville and Galax. 53007B1E-6B77-43EC-861F-21B2BEE5B063.jpeg 8BF3D40E-6FF8-400C-91A8-29FB6FCE20E8.jpeg