Riding North Carolina, TN and VA

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Extremenc, Jan 23, 2017.

1. CheapB

CheapB Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That looks like a cool spot! Need to go try to find that one!
  2. SidewinderX

SidewinderX Hey, watch this! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You’ve rode by it at least once with me.

I’ve seen the sign but never stopped in.
    Let us know how it is.
    bobw and CheapB like this.
  3. PurpleTiger

PurpleTiger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CF6350E4-04AE-4F07-A6CD-6EDAE52DD7DC.jpeg D26E6125-061D-49D5-AC6A-77310ACE2FF7.jpeg Here is his card... we didn’t call ahead but he cooked us burgers and was very hospitable....
    I think it’s best to call ahead and “he will have it ready when u come”. Used by folks in the area on the horse trials. Cash only.
  4. BaldKnob

BaldKnob I Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    I had a spur of the moment run to the mountains for some elevation therapy. Stayed in Robbinsville at the TWI... IMG_1183.JPG
    Got into a frog strangler on top of the Tathum Gap, complete with lightning, thunder and trees down. The road had a good gravel base and I had no problem with traction thankfully. As I went west towards the Cherohala, the skies cleared and I was able to dry out. Epic conditions up to the TN border then same coming back on FS81... IMG_1170.JPG IMG_1180.JPG
  5. BaldKnob

BaldKnob I Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    Next day was breakfast at the Gap and a quick run thru for the obligatory Killboy action shot... IMG_1206 (3).JPG
    From here, I rolled up the Foothills Parkway to the new section that now ends at Wears Valley. It's about 15 miles of pristine pavement and some awesome views of the valley east of Townsend. There is a very long, curving bridge section that reminds me of the Linville Viaduct on the BRP. I'm sure that is what took 2 decades to finish. No pics but it is worth the effort to ride. I turned around and did my route in reverse to avoid the tourist trap hell I saw clogging 321.

I had a hankerin for some Heintooga... long ride with no luck as the sky opened up hard as I approached the gravel and no way in Hades was I going to be stuck in there during a downpour. Saw an elk on my way down, rain slowed to a sprinkle and I was able to ride some of the gravel from Mile High CG (BIA 407, 437, Jenkins Creek and Dobson Ridge). IMG_1188.JPG On the way back to Robbinsville a sprinkle turned into rain. I turned south on 28 and had a great ride despite the conditions and shagged front tire. Took a chance the weather would change as I went west on Tellico Gap. It did and the road was in great shape, same for Wayah Rd too but luck changed again as I found a closed gate at Winding Stairs and a steady rain back to my room. Dun.
  6. BaldKnob

BaldKnob I Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    Headed east on the BRP from Balsam to 215 south... IMG_1191.JPG
    Went east on FS475 to Looking Glass Rock... IMG_1197.JPG IMG_1200.JPG Final bit of gravel was the Yellow Gap Rd to Mills River and then the mind numbing highway schlep home.
  7. tireatr

tireatr Let's go for a ride

Oddometer:
    Great Pics!
    Mainrollman, bobw and BaldKnob like this.
  8. Henderson757

Henderson757 Living the American Dream

Oddometer:
    Looks Awesome @BaldKnob Thanks for sharing

I still love those Teneres

How do you like it?
  9. BaldKnob

BaldKnob I Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    My big Yamaha is THE value leader in the big-bore trailie market. It has everything you need for intercontinental travel, backroad scratchin' or forest road exploration at a cost that is thousands less than the competition. I like it so much that I replaced my 2012 (@130K miles) with this new Cobalt Blue bike.

I'll concede that it has a rudimentary traction control system, is missing the latest ABS gizmo and is down 30-50hp to the Euro offerings. That being said, the TC works fine as does the ABS and with a full exhaust system, I've recovered some hidden horsepower and lost 10 pounds.

There are a lot of good deals out there on used T12s and a new one can be had for almost half of what BMW wants for a loaded ADV model. Regardless of the brand you end up buying, now is a great time to want an ADV bike with something from almost every manufacturer in a variety of shapes and engine sizes.
    CheapB, bobw, klaviator and 3 others like this.
  10. mhr650

mhr650 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Speaking of Super Tenere's, Shameless plug… anyone who buys it is welcome to come to Asheville and I will lead you around on a nice gravel road ride of some of the best roads in country.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254298425676
    bobw, tireatr and BaldKnob like this.
  11. PurpleTiger

PurpleTiger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    KLIM patch not visible.. FAIL :).
    Actually, Cool pic!!
    BaldKnob likes this.
  12. BaldKnob

BaldKnob I Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    Right shoulder and right knee. Klim engineers work tirelessly to place those patches where they will be seen from most any angle.
  13. tireatr

tireatr Let's go for a ride

Oddometer:
    Mike is that a Tenere’? I’ve never heard of a XT1200Z?
  14. mhr650

mhr650 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, it was my gateway adventure bike
    BaldKnob and tireatr like this.
  15. MaverickNC

MaverickNC Gnarly Dude

Oddometer:
    Quick trip out to Flat Rock, NC taking some less popular roads.

The purpose of the trip was Camp Joy, a special needs camp held in Flat Rock every year. You can learn more about the camp at www.campjoycem.com

16. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey, you were in my backyard. Nice video work!
    bobw, PurpleTiger and MaverickNC like this.
  17. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    I love the flat rock area..... Lots of history. I spent a few years working on the restoration of the old Boyd mansion, now known as Saluda cottages. The back entrance is off of Boyd rd which is across the street from the bonclarken entrance. The main entrance is on little river rd, next to the flat rock play house and across from the Carl Sandburg house.

AR-606011035.jpg
  18. MaverickNC

MaverickNC Gnarly Dude

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys! Love that area and all the history there. We did visit the Sandburg house with the kids and had a good time with the goats.

@Amphib that place looks awesome! Will have to visit next time we are up there (which is often).
    bobw and Amphib like this.
  19. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:

Next time check out Holbert Cove Road, parallel to Green Cove Road, and then what we call the Watershed. The road south out of Flat Rock toward Greenville. Has a turn off that heads over to Saluda then down the Saluda grade (176). Mine Mountain road in that area also.
    Extremenc, bobw, tireatr and 3 others like this.
  20. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    Looking at the map I see an interesting road and wonder if anyone knows if it's open and goes through. No name listed, but it's in Morganton area off Fish Hatchery Rd, between Adventist Cir and Fish Hatchery Ave, Looks like it follows Back Creek and on Google Street view, what is visible at the beginning I see no gate and it's paved. Any help appreciated. Gonna be taking my wife and someone visiting to Wisemans View in the car in a couple days. That whole area is loaded with twisty looking stuff on the map
    Extremenc and bobw like this.