Riding North Carolina, TN and VA

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Extremenc, Jan 23, 2017.

1. tireatr

tireatr Let's go for a ride

Oddometer:
    You still ride? huh. We never see ya'
    bobw likes this.
  2. CheapB

CheapB Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lol, I know, I feel bad I still haven’t made it to your place. Family life has had me swamped the past couple of years. Most of my riding has been out for short bursts around the house, and then when I do get out for a little longer, most of the time the wife is with me. Hopefully I can make one soon. The main reason I’m even hosting the rally this year is because I believe it may be John’s last visit to the US and he asked me if I’d host the 10yr Aussie reunion lol. I mean of course I love hosting, just don’t really have the time to do it much anymore. Also wish I had more space for everyone.
    tireatr and bobw like this.
  3. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    Yes we did, I could tell from initial conversations at the hospital and with our insurance people (mostly with trying to understand "No'Fault) the red tape was going to be the worst part of this. It was/is a fairly simple wreck and just an example of how ridiculously complicated so many things in our lives have become.
    MTBRALPH and tireatr like this.
  4. mhr650

mhr650 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    It was an interesting ride. The girls did a fantastic job on the logistics, the stops were manned with coolers that had water and snacks, the stops were interesting like the veteran’s museum in Brevard. The shortcoming was the hype, so the turnout was shall we say minimal, and the threat of rain didn’t help at all.

I was all ready to go when I pushed my bike out of the basement and discovered that it was raining at my house. I was dressed in full motocross gear and body armor thinking it was going to be hot. Since I knew if I didn’t change that would guarantee rain, so I changed to waterproof gear. It was only drizzle on my way to the start. Once we started there was no rain at all until I was coming up 178 from SC HWY11, once I turned off onto Horsepasture road to Jumping Off Rock where the picture was made there was no rain. I could have used some rain at that point, the road was extremely slow going with a rock hard base and sparse loose gravel on top, it is not a technically difficult road but the loose surface means that you can’t get any grip and just must go slow. By time I got to Brevard I could see heavy rain coming and I was hungry anyway, so I stopped at Ingles, parked my bike up on the sidewalk under a roof and had a nice bowl of Clam Chowder and sandwich. I sat in the ingles watching it rain hard enough that you couldn’t see 10ft, the others on the ride were in front of me and got caught and drowned by that rain in Brevard. After the rain I had a nice ride up through the Pisgah forest service roads back to the start in Mills River, I got to the end 10 minutes short of the unofficial 5pm cutoff.
    tireatr and Amphib like this.
  5. tireatr

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you had it worse than me. I was halfway back to the house on Double Island when the heavens opened. DI is a fun road, not so much in a downpour. Radar Saturday looked like, well Popcorn.
  6. tireatr

Oddometer:
    I bust you balls; you know that. I got to hand it to you though, I gave up on riding when my 3 girls were young. Between work and family, I didn't ride 1000 miles a year. Now that's a good weekend. Continue to make the right call. We'll ( well some of us) will be here when you're empty nesters.
  7. tireatr

Oddometer:
    Having done this twice, and the process three times, It's like the old saying "Not hiring a professional is like bringing a knife to a gunfight". There are too many laws surrounding the process, even to the point how much my health insurance company was entitled to. be patient. The Insurance companies want you to cave on pressure of bills coming due, etc.
    bobw likes this.
  8. mhr650

Oddometer:
    I had it perfect, not a drop of real rain just a few drizzles. I was stopped when the serious rain hit.
    bobw likes this.
  9. CheapB

Oddometer:
    bobw and MaverickNC like this.
  10. SuhthernBoy

SuhthernBoy Wanderer

Oddometer:
    bobw likes this.
  11. tireatr

Oddometer:
    ^^ Cheap, when are you arriving Friday?
  12. CheapB

Oddometer:
    whenever the clown gets us there :lol3

we are working some Friday, so getting a late start. Leaving out around 2-230, so I imagine we will meander on up there around dinner time. You gonna make it out? If not, hopefully we can catch up here in a couple of weeks. Thanks again btw!
    tireatr likes this.
  13. SuhthernBoy

SuhthernBoy Wanderer

Oddometer:
    So you're leading?
    bobw likes this.
  14. tireatr

Oddometer:
    TBH I never knew that campground existed. I'd like to meet the owners and know where it is to share the intel with others.I need to see what Hunters plans are.
  15. mhr650

Oddometer:
    Y’all have fun, I will be in Copenhagen for work this weekend…..
    CheapB and bobw like this.