1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Riding North Carolina, TN and VA

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Extremenc, Jan 23, 2017.

1. mhr650

mhr650 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like whoever came to recover it wasn’t too worried about what the condition was going to be when they were finished…

Is it sitting at the wide spot up by Max Patch road now?
    Amphib and JRowland like this.
  2. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    Yeah. It's accessible, but out of the way. Interesting landmark for the AT there. I did chat with a through hiker while I was checking it out. He was as suprised as I was. Interesting guy.
    JRowland likes this.
  3. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    Through hikers already. Used to be they didn't start till about March 1st. Darned global warming :D
    JRowland and Amphib like this.
  4. Amphib

Oddometer:
    Lmao. Yeah. This dude was a tough mofo. He had a total special forces vibe about him. Says he does it every year. He starts early to avoid people and to catch the leafless views. He was moving fast. He was equipped in gear I've never seen before.
    JRowland and Fat Toney like this.
  5. JRowland

JRowland over the hills where the spirits fly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Funny the day I totaled my '19 DR I pulled up to that spot to see what the damage was. I had a through hiker chat me up for awhile, then a couple in an RV chatted me up for awhile longer. I was in some pain but I tried to be as nice as possible.
    Amphib likes this.
  6. mhr650

Oddometer:
    Well there isn’t too much riding going on yet so I don’t feel too bad about going a little off topic, so I will throw I some more AT discussion. Back when I lived in North Georgia, I often did one of the best rides you will find anywhere, HWY 129 north from Turners Crossing to the top of Blood Mountain. It is a glorious piece of road, wide, fast sweeping corners, well banked, with lots of 3 lane passing areas. Its one of the few public roads where you get to the top and have rolled up rubber balls all the way out to the edge of your tires.

At the top of the mountain is a store called Walasi-Yi. It is about half normal mountain gift shop and half high-end hiking store. They are a few days from the start of the AT, and when people get there, they have already figured out that they brought way too much stuff, and some of the stuff they brought is crap. They have a nice business shipping excess and crappy gear home for people and resupplying them with known good gear for the rest of their journey.
  7. viper522

viper522 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sunday is looking to start off chilly but could turn out nice...
  8. JRowland

Oddometer:
    And it's the first day of extra daylight :clap
    Amphib likes this.
  9. Amphib

Oddometer:
    I'll be out Sunday, a buddy has a kitchen pass. Where we go will depend on his window of time.
  10. viper522

Oddometer:
    Is a slow, very calm, very sensible Sunday ride brewing?
  11. JRowland

Oddometer:
    I plan on getting out and about as well. Hopefully this is the last week of trying to keep the bike clean before tearing it apart and putting it back together again.
    viper522 and Amphib like this.
  12. Amphib

Oddometer:
    I actually rode alot this winter. Bike was absolutely filthy, worse than I've ever let a bike get. I washed it before tearing apart a few weeks ago for valves, etc, but there's been so much mud, it got covered my first ride out. I did do a C+ job washing it today, but it won't last long. :lol3
    JRowland likes this.
  13. viper522

Oddometer:
    Amphib likes this.
  14. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    Sunday, I'm working a hare scramble at Doe Mountain orv park in Mountain City, TN
  15. viper522

Oddometer:
    I'm going to start putting the WR back in knobby mode now and truck it over near Max Patch after it warms a little on Sunday.
    Amphib likes this.
  16. mhr650

Oddometer:
    I have been riding a bit over the winter, mostly on the east side and south side of town. Maybe it's time to head west again. :lol3
  17. StevieVVet

StevieVVet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now that the Boy Scouts are belly up. is Pretty Place still accessible? I think that was owned or at least affiliated with them.
  18. viper522

Oddometer:
    I'll be parked at Robert's Gap - time TBD, but I'll make a post. Open invite!
    JRowland likes this.
  19. mhr650

Oddometer:
    I had to look up Roberts Gap up, I figured it was a place that I knew just had never heard it called by that name and I was right, been there many times.
  20. kvango

kvango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BRP - What's up with the Blue Ridge Parkway closures. I understand in snow/icy conditions, but looked good to me . . .

There were some spots (north of Linville Falls) easily accessible, but google had it closed. Didn't want to jump on and end up not being able to get off. Curious what type of fine you get if caught on it? I was driving my truck (bike on back) so not worth a try.

Didn't find much riding areas (camping with lady friend, so not priority) but seems most forest roads are closed. That seems to be a pattern in NC (vs Georgia and TN).
    Did find the great camping spots along Old NC 105 /1238 -- 16 miles of fantastic views, nice road too.

Passed a white/red GS1200 with luggage a few times - anyone here?

Kevin.

IMG_3669 (1).jpg