Riding North Carolina, TN and VA

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Extremenc, Jan 23, 2017.

1. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh I’m pretty sure it can, I don’t think legally but one of those left turns I showed gets you there. Need your KTM maybe lol. Wesley Creek was gated boo. See you when you get here!
    Amphib likes this.
  2. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    It was quite a search. I opted for the happy trail for what I thought was the best bang for the buck. While I think they're very good, I thought the tusk looked rediculous on the bike without a symmetrical rack. My process was to find the smallest, but still practical size for me and a symmetrical rack for a tool box or rotopax for the inside, opposite the exhaust. They're a tad large for day rides, but perfect for my touring with a drybag on the seat. I've been down more than a couple of times and they're proving bomb proof. I have the 7.5" cliff cut teton and got their whole kit.. rack, hardware. FYI, they offer massive discounts in the winter.

https://www.happy-trail.com/find-yo...n/aluminum-panniers-honda-crf1000l-teton.html

Africa_Twin_Teton_Pan_Chart.jpg
  3. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    2 up putting around today, that one part of Cold Springs Creek Rd. Is still closed, jumped on I40 for 2 exits up to Harmon Den. FS288 to Mount Sterling. Green Corner to Rag Mountain, through Martha Sundquist to Max Patch. 77 miles, decent amount of people out.

A2DE484A-FF6B-47AC-9191-A21BF657DEC6.jpeg

52AB8FD6-6838-4BF6-B61A-662F7D7F8F29.jpeg

BFE1B9B7-DD00-4AA0-A7F1-405A41C3AD48.jpeg

49E31ACF-9982-463B-B8D4-6FC677FAA9EA.jpeg

5BAC8895-CABB-4F15-958C-DE5F54E4CF92.jpeg
  4. justcountry04

justcountry04 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gilchrist County Floriduh (AKA farm country)
    wow looks like a nice ride.
    Amphib and JRowland like this.
  5. justcountry04

Oddometer:
    Oh ok, I don't think I've tried going that way, but maybe we'll try it.
    JRowland likes this.
  6. Shawn595

Shawn595 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you! I might just wait until the winter because those look pretty good. I'm not a huge fan of the Tusk panniers on the AT, but you have to appreciate the price. That said, I'm not in a huge hurry for boxes either. I really want to be able to carry a fly rod on the bike, but I'm not too proud to zip tie the rod tube to the luggage rails...
    JRowland and Amphib like this.
  7. tireatr

tireatr Let's go for a ride

Oddometer:
    Pick up VS Cruiser with Ape hangers on 209 today. Uggh
  8. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sad.
  9. mhr650

mhr650 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cool, a month or so I was at the other end of 278 off of White Oak Flats road, the gate was open, and I thought I would see how far I could go. 100ft past the gate I met a ranger coming down the road, the gate was only open because they had to have a 4WD wrecker come and recover one of their trucks which had gone off the side. She said that the road was washed out really bad, I guess between the gate you had to turn around, and the end on White Oak Flats road.

I grew up in Erwin, but Lost Cove was before my time, I am sure my parents would know about it, but I never remember hearing anything about it back when I was a kid. I do remember walking along the railroad tracks up past Chestoa to go fishing with my Dad when I was a kid.
    Amphib likes this.
  10. mhr650

Oddometer:
    When I see all of those interesting tracks heading off of the road I am riding, I end up wishing I was on a 250lb EXC and had a half dozen strong buddies along with me…..
  11. justcountry04

Oddometer:
    Geez, are you guys floating away yet? Is the rain ever going to stop there? I'm heading up there from Florida next week to ride and might have to bring some pontoons for the bike!
  12. Shawn595

Shawn595 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This rain shit is getting old fast. And if the forecast is to be believed, we have three more days of it here. :(
  13. tireatr

tireatr Let's go for a ride

Oddometer:
    Pretty crappy for sure. It’s not just the rain either. It’s 43 degrees here 40 miles NW of Asheville. It was 82 Sunday.
  14. justcountry04

Oddometer:
    Sure wish it would rain here it Florida, It's as dry as a popcorn fart, haven't had Shit for rain in 3 months!
  15. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Announced today.

Restaurants in NC can open at 50% for the next 5 weeks. No gyms or bars.

still asked to stay hone as much as possible
    JRowland likes this.
  16. jfauerba

jfauerba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just noticed at: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/nfsnc/news-events/?cid=FSEPRD738953
    that Stoney Fork, FS #63, they have listed as open. It was closed all last year. Can anybody confirm that it is open now? This is the gravel road near Craggy Gardens on the parkway. I did try to call but their mail box was full.
    Appears the two roads that parralles US 276 is also open according to the website. Can anybody confirm that?
  17. mhr650

Oddometer:
    FS 475B and FS477 that run parallel to 276 are open, I rode 475B last Saturday. Yellow Gap FS1206 that runs from 276 over to Mills River is still closed.
    JRowland likes this.
  18. Lzeplin

Lzeplin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I tried this past Sunday but the parkway was closed just past mt. Mitchell. So I couldn't get there without going around I went down Curtis Creek instead .Neil's Creek is also open. It goes from S.toe river rd to the BRP directly across the Rd. from Curtis Creek
  19. jfauerba

jfauerba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lzeplin likes this.
  20. mhr650

Oddometer:
    That’s cool, I saw on the list that Neals Creek was open, it hasn’t been open for a couple of years, I will have to get up there.
    Lzeplin likes this.