Riding North Carolina, TN and VA

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Extremenc, Jan 23, 2017.

1. jfauerba

jfauerba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stoney Fork is closed. I just went by there. Craggy Garden picnic area was open.
    Lzeplin likes this.
  2. AlH

AlH Long timer

Oddometer:
    I *think* I rode Stony Fork about 4-5 years ago. I don't get by there a lot but have never found it open since.
    Lzeplin likes this.
  3. jfauerba

Oddometer:
    Bent creek road at parkway, all gates closeed and I could not get to bent creek road from the parkway. This was around 2pm Saturday, 5/23. Can see from the parkway gate that wash creek gate was closed. People were parking on the side of the parkway instead of further down by the tunnel since gate was closed.
    JRowland likes this.
  4. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cataloochee was not open yesterday, all info was saying it was including the original end date of the road construction that caused the closure (5/20/20). Cold Springs Creek Rd still has closed signs up between Martha Sundquist and Max Patch Rd. Martha can be used to get around and up to Max Patch Rd though.

Easy 50/50 ride 2 up yesterday. Max Patch/Round Mtn. with an in and out on Boomer Den for lunch and Rattlesnake Gap after. Del Rio to Hot Springs then 209 home.

15D03704-A29A-40DF-A440-FD8CF1539C7A.jpeg

A6A71D54-E7E5-46C6-A361-4CB0AC3B7A91.jpeg

A3EB4B86-9B6C-4F68-9BFD-8117A184BD4D.jpeg

1D29C9A8-7C1C-443A-ABC6-21BE016825AA.jpeg

34EA886D-C39A-4030-9EA1-E167B95E7EBC.jpeg
  5. mhr650

mhr650 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was parked at the horse trailer lot right before the barrier, could have made money giving directions on how to get to Max Patch from there.
  6. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hope you sent them the longest way around Martha :thumb
  7. mhr650

Oddometer:
    I only sent one guy up the hill, he had an old Tacoma that was lifted and had good tires, pretty sure he was OK.
    JRowland likes this.
  8. jfauerba

Oddometer:
    Anybody know the current road condition (how hard it is) of Pinnacle Mnt section between green river road and Sky Valley? Is it as easy as FS 475/475B, yellow gap, etc. or harder like parts of Wolf Mnt.?
  9. mhr650

Oddometer:
    I was there last week. It is a little rougher than normal FS roads but not too bad. After all this rain lately it may be a bit more washed out. When I was there it was dry and dusty, they had spread fresh gravel but hadn't done any grading, that meant you had the same rocks and ruts just with a loose top coat to make it slippery. The rain should have packed that down and made it better.
  10. jfauerba

Oddometer:
    Was rougher than normal FS roads. Did not see any fresh gravel this morning. Uploading the hardest part of Pinnacle Mnt. to youtube right now to help anybody else would would like a go on it. I am not experice on gravel roads outside of FS roads and normal gravel roads that people live on. Was challenging only in some of the parts on the video. What was not on video was just a tiny bit harder than normal gravel roads. Big rock uphill was hardest and a little down hill section later on closer to the end of it. The squusy mud was also a lilttle challenging in places.
    mhr650, BaldKnob and JRowland like this.
  11. mhr650

Oddometer:
    I rode Curtis Creek and Neals Creek today, both are open and in fine condition. But be aware that the last mile or so of pavement is freshly chip sealed, maybe they will vacuum and seal it like they did the Parkway, but it's pretty sketchy now.
    JRowland, Lzeplin and tireatr like this.
  12. mhr650

Oddometer:
    Nice video, as I expected all the rain pretty much packed down the fresh gravel until you can’t even tell it was put down. The puddles are also way bigger than they were 2 weeks ago, no surprise there, I hate when the trucks come through and splash slimy mud all over the otherwise good dry line.
  13. mhr650

Oddometer:
    I went for a ride out on the western edge of NC Saturday. Trailered to the horse trailer parking lot on Cold Springs Creek Road, just before the barricade closing the road, could have made money giving directions on how to get from there to Max Patch once they hit the barrier.
    IMG_20200523_200835.jpg

My main objective was to grab a photo tag that Boatman had placed at the top of the Tower Trail off of Buzzards Roost road. All the rain that we have been getting ended up playing a big part in how the ride went. My first effort was to just ride down Cold Springs Creek Road, under I40 and up Buzzards roost road, but this is what was waiting for me when I got to the low water bridge.

IMG_20200523_152102.jpg

The picture doesn’t do justice to just how much velocity the flow going over the bridge had, first turn around. I headed back up to where I was parked and turned up the mountain towards Martha Sundquist Forest. I took the first left hand road and headed down the mountain towards TN, I was surprised that the road was not a slimy mess after all of the rain that we had, there were a few mudholes but for the most part it was a nice ride down the mountain.

Once I was down the mountain, I headed towards Waterville via Rag Mountain, and Green Corner road. Waved at the rafters as I went by and headed out Mount Sterling road towards Cattaloochee. Turned onto the road that has a different name on every map that I can find, it turns into a pretty rough trail with big round river rocks everywhere and comes out by the Tower Trail on Buzzards Roost road. Once again, I was met with high fast water, I have ridden through this creek crossing many times, but today it was way too deep, backtrack and take Buzzards Roost all the way.

IMG_20200523_163414.jpg

Finally made it up to the top of the Tower Trail and got my picture, overall the roads were pretty decent but there were more and deeper puddles everywhere.

IMG_20200523_171507.jpg

On my way back thought I thought I would make a detour to the VORTAC, all the rain made the road extra washed out. Going up wasn’t so bad, KTM offroad mode is magic, put it in second gear and hold a steady throttle, let the traction control do its thing, and it will just chug up anything. Coming back down was an adventure, 750+ pounds of bike and rider on steep loose rocks with only a skinny 21-inch front tire to slow you down made it quite interesting.

IMG_20200523_182731.jpg

Finally got to my 3rd water crossing opportunity, heading back up the mountain through Martha Sundquist. I have ridden this crossing many times, and it didn’t look that different, but when I got in the water, I discovered that it was WAY deeper than normal. Halfway through the creek I had water coming over my boots and splashing up on the tank, at that point throttle is your only friend, I gave it a big handful and popped up the other side in a huge cloud of steam.

IMG_20200523_185612.jpg

From there it was just a fun run up the mountain on one of my favorite roads which was in perfect condition, just enough moisture to have great traction. Discovered that someone had finally towed away the White Isuzu that had been abandoned.

Good day of riding and I didn’t miss the extra hundred miles of interstate riding from my house, even if I do have a 1300cc bike with electronic cruise control. When you have a tire habit of $350 every 1500-2000 miles anything you can do to keep the wear to the fun sections is worth it
    Rex Solgar, slime, klaviator and 15 others like this.
  14. justcountry04

justcountry04 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gilchrist County Floriduh (AKA farm country)
    JRowland likes this.
  15. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    I sure get that about not wanting to file down good off road tires @mhr650
    justBert likes this.
  16. mhr650

Oddometer:
    First ride on brand new MotoZ’s, every time it is amazing just how nice new tires feel.
    Amphib, motocopter and JRowland like this.
  17. bbanker

bbanker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just did about 250 miles on the new AX41 Battlax tires. I can honestly say they are the best 50/50 tire I've ever ridden on. Great in gravel and dirt, sticky as hell on pavement. Downside is they don't last very long, but they aren't too expensive. I think I'm just gonna keep going through a set every few months if they wear and perform well through the life of the tire.
    Rex Solgar and Amphib like this.
  18. justBert

justBert Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like them too and the price is even better when you consider the $60 a set rebate!!
    Rex Solgar and bbanker like this.
  19. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    Who's offering that rebate?
  20. smalls78

smalls78 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    @JRowland your DR650 setup is straight fire man! I’m looking to mimic that build very soon.

I love this thread.
    JRowland likes this.