Riding North Carolina, TN and VA

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Extremenc, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Wind Junky

Wind Junky Adventurer

Oddometer:
    JRowland and Lzeplin like this.
  2. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    Heard Cataloochee was open

F8629DC5-34F0-406B-8535-3F02EAF58306.jpeg

It is but only to the restrooms. I went where I wanted and must have missed a sign.

2A24ABDD-8C85-4116-BA8A-F73CFBF0B9E6.jpeg

Went straight first hoping to see some elk

D90E9FD1-3AFC-4F5D-BAB4-701229A84625.jpeg

Went back and ran into a road crew. Several washouts evidently and he couldn’t guess how long it will take. Headed up I40 and hit Hurricane Creek.

EC51745C-CF8A-45C7-8CCC-CEB40E66AA1F.jpeg

167744C8-AAD3-4FA8-A883-FEF2AD3DDBC1.jpeg

0DAFDC8E-8727-4CEC-9347-4C33B2F48318.jpeg

Missed the turn near the top that comes out on Max Patch Rd. and ended up on Wesley Creek Rd. That was a really fun missed turn!

D9EFAC17-E501-43D6-9E7F-C40D83E7B0EE.jpeg

Rode a mini loop of Martha Sundquist and Cold Springs Creek Rd. Is closed again???

61040D90-3196-46D5-9A80-DF7F8D63ABB2.jpeg

36D0CD9F-6F0F-4622-8CC5-BE57520F56AB.jpeg
    norton73, Robco, MaverickNC and 5 others like this.
  3. JRowland

Oddometer:
    Love Jenkins Creek and all that BIA gravel over there!

Over here near the Maggie Valley Exit of I40 all the way to Newport, TN is easier gravel up and down both sides and occasionally going underneath. There is a whole little world near Hartford, TN that would be more like experienced big bike friendly but the rest of it is for sure. You could ride for a weekend for sure. Peruse the maps like I do, or ride this loop to get a feel for some of it. You’ll have to bypass the Cataloochee part for now.

Attached Files:

4. viper522

viper522 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is Hurricane Creek over there in Harmon the closest thing we have to a 'jeep trail' in the area? Most everything I've ridden has been navigable by car. Not that I'm looking to hurt myself, I'm just extremely jealous of all the photos of quality single track seen elsewhere on the forum.
  5. BaldKnob

BaldKnob I Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    Pretty much... Buzzards Roost has an alternate route to the Cataloochee that is fairly technical from what I hear.
    viper522 likes this.
  6. BaldKnob

BaldKnob I Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    Yeah, been up and down both and really enjoy the entire area. I was mostly wondering how much erosion has occurred on the Old House Gap Road.
  7. Garrettfnn

Garrettfnn n00b

Oddometer:
    Just got referred to this forum. Fairview, NC based. Got an f800gs, a ‘97 dr350se, and a 2017 husky 501 fe that I’m trying to sell. Stoked to hopefully ride with y’all in the future! I live at the top of a pretty gnarly dirt road with some nice mountain views. It’s only a little over a mile but its 20min from Asheville and y’all are welcome to ride it anytime
    AdvRich, klaviator, JRowland and 4 others like this.
  8. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:

Welcome to the forums. :beer

You can post the bikes you want to sell in the "Flea Market" section here.
    klaviator and JRowland like this.
  9. tireatr

tireatr Let's go for a ride

Oddometer:
    Anyone wandering over to Little Switzerland be warned 226A has some significant gravel washes and grass debris. I believe it’s a combination of driveway wash from heavy rains this week and some agreesive mowing along the roads edge.
  10. Robco

Robco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did a quick ride yesterday and hit a few trails in brown Mt OHV. There are some very hard trails but also some that are more "friendly" I saw more jeeps and 4 wheelers in there yesterday than bikes. I'll say that a stock jeep will make it up the main trail to the "big mudhole". My son in law has done most of the hard stuff on his 501 on TCK80s and I'd take my 701 on most of the trails but I hate to see it slide down a rock so It's when I do the harder stuff I take the 300. Its not what everyone is looking for but it could be a sidetrack on the way to ride Wilson Creek. It's worth looking into, everyone's version of "hard" is a little different.

Attached Files:

JRowland, BaldKnob and viper522 like this.
  11. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    How much is the day pass ? $$
  12. Robco

Robco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Last year it was $5 and a year was $30. The year is still $30. I bought one yesterday.
    Rusty Rocket likes this.
  13. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    Nice ride yesterday. Did a little Martha sundquist, vortac, halls top rd, stone mountain tower rd, and a bunch of others. Halls top was pretty miserable up to stone mountain. Deep deep, loose big gravel. Quite the project they've got going on there with the widening and tree removal. Otherwise it was perfect day. Ended up in torrential rain on the way home. Diverted from the original plan of continuing on to rocky top which is one of my favorites.

Trying to get my schedule together to get out for a week soon. Work has been crazy along with some other projects.

Not alot of pictures taken.

20200614_135330.jpg 20200614_135440.jpg 20200614_131936.jpg 20200614_135045.jpg
  14. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    ^^ I've been to that tower, but I totally forget where it is or who I was there with. :-) ^^
    Amphib likes this.
  15. JRowland

Oddometer:
    @Rusty Rocket I’m hurt :dunno That video Toph just posted yesterday on the DR thread was over there, you could see all the freshy fresh gravel on Halls Top.
    Rusty Rocket likes this.
  16. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    Judging by the vast amount of litter that surrounds the property, you're probably not the only one. :lol3
  17. viper522

viper522 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I see you have MVR stickers too! My WR450 has them from a previous owner but I don't know what was done.
  18. BaldKnob

BaldKnob I Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    I rode Brown last month and daily passes are surprisingly still $5. There has been some major changes to the top of trail 1... widening and a reroute to avoid the “Spring” area as people were going off trail and onto private property. I was told (but saw no signs) that 1b was now a two-way trail down to where it meets 1a so ride accordingly. My fear is they want to create another Uwharrie so Jeeps and SXS will have access to all the two-way trails.
    JRowland likes this.
  19. Robco

Robco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I didn't realize how bad the 4CS forks were until Mark sprung and re valved them. He put his "gold" package in them where the compression is on the bottom and rebound is on the top and in each fork instead of 1 with compression and 1 with rebound. Stock they were very harsh in the dirt and super soft on the pavement. Now they are great int he dirt and very good on the pavement with the SM wheels on them. They aren't Ohlins but they are ten times better than stock. He also re valved the shock with a progressive spring. All in all its by far the best thing I've done to the husky. He changed the oil in my 300 but its stock, I've ridden ones that he has re valved and they are better but I'm so slow in the really hard stuff that i don't know how much it would help me:-)
  20. Robco

Robco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They do seem to be leaning towards side by sides and jeeps, which is ok, they need places to go too as long as they don;t do away with the good trails. I'm hoping to get the KTM up there soon so I'll see how 1A and some single trac look.
    JRowland likes this.