Riding North Carolina, TN and VA

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Extremenc, Jan 23, 2017.

1. TheSweeper

TheSweeper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I rode 711 last week about 15 miles in. It’s great pavement except for debris. Not much of a dual sport road for that 15 miles. I was on my CB500x with sport rubber.
  2. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I mean FS711. I don’t think it’s paved. I might be wrong.
  3. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    FS711 has fresh blacktop going north from Wayah Rd but the fresh stuff stops around the gun range / horse camp, then it’s broken pavement up to Cold Springs. So a lot of it is deteriorating pavement, fun on a motard or dual sport.
    Just watch for the huge snakes, this one nearly caused me to wreck

B5C3457F-F86A-4A38-A7EB-17AE89CCC0BF.jpeg

B541E102-FB34-4EC3-B50A-E89853386B6E.jpeg
    norton73, JRowland and BaldKnob like this.
  4. PineyMountainRacing

Oddometer:
    From the Cherokee area you could ride SoCo (US 19) over to Washington Crk Rd and take it up to the top and come down Dicks Creek. Dicks Crk drops you off on the 4 lane (74), take it west to Whittier and ride Conleys Crk up over Big Laurel, you’ll have 3 water crossings up on top, fun and easy, then you’ll come down into the Cowee area north of Franklin on 28. From there you can ride north on 28 (no longer 55 mph so be careful) and pick up Tellico and go over Tellico Gap. Tellico Gap becomes Otter Crk after you cross the AT. Otter dumps you onto Wayah, turn left and you go to Cold Springs / FS711 area, or turn right and grab Old River Rd (about a mile) to Junaluska to Wayah. Take Wayah east and grab Rainbow Springs Rd which runs all the way to 64. From 64 you can take gravel all way south into the Coweeta Lab area. I think it’s Old Murphy Rd that takes you south into the Coweeta area. Eventually you pop out on 441 south of Franklin. Or keep heading south into GA. But that’s a full day.

when you come down Dicks Creek you’ll be a mile from my house, I just got in Thursday this trip, Been spending some time watching the craziness known as Deals Gap and the Cherry Cola Skyway

465E44D7-F63B-4713-9005-9CD99640E124.jpeg
  5. AlH

AlH Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rainbow Springs...I rode that too once- is that the one with all the threatening signs of what will happen if you get off the road? All private on both sides IIRC.

We got misled down it by a map that indicated fishing along it- there was a nice stream*, again IIRC, but with it all private land you can't get anywhere near it.

EDIT- looking at the maps that "nice stream" is actually the Nantahala River.
    Amphib and JRowland like this.
  6. PineyMountainRacing

Oddometer:
    another fun stretch is over by Hayesville, Tusquittee Rd to Tuni Gap to Junaluska. Also Needmore which connects 74 to 28, fast gravel along the river. You’ll go by the east end if you head up to Tellico Gap. You have probably been on all these at one time, but this is how I string them together :beer
    JRowland likes this.
  7. PineyMountainRacing

Oddometer:
    yes, a lot of private property along RS Rd, I didn’t get a chance to ride it in ‘19
  8. AlH

AlH Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was May 2017 when I was last on it...
  9. scfrank

Oddometer:

I've considered all that. It's on the SM500. But it's a long day from Mile High down there and back. At least for us senior citizens. :D
    JRowland and PineyMountainRacing like this.
  10. PineyMountainRacing

Oddometer:
    I get the senior part, saw eye doc before I rode up from FL because the vision in my R eye is off a little. I thought not signing up for AARP would keep the cataracts and the rest of the aging process away, no dice.
    JRowland, Rusty Rocket and scfrank like this.
  11. scfrank

Oddometer:
    Looking at the SM1000, BIA 413 (Dodson Ridge) goes up to BA 407 but it doesn't on the Garmin map. Any knowledge of this?

Edit: looked on a topo map and it does go through.

Looks good.
  12. scfrank

Oddometer:

Been a member longer than I want to admit. decades.
  13. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    Does the sc in scfrank stand for senior citizen?:-)
    JRowland and scfrank like this.
  14. scfrank

Oddometer:
    It sure could ! Well qualified.
    JRowland and Rusty Rocket like this.
  15. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    I'm 67, so hello brother
  16. Thinwater

Thinwater Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Look for us, @Pepperlady, @jrm927 and I should be there as well for the same purpose. We have the America Rides Maps, real world paper copies that shows the dirt we're planning to use along with a couple gpx routes found in the maggie valley thread in the last 10 page range.
  17. scfrank

Oddometer:
    I only see a lot of this on topo maps. Is there any issue riding on these BIA roads? Do we need permits ?

Washington Creek doesn't connect to Dick's Creek on my topo maps.
  18. scfrank

Oddometer:

Will do. we are at site 12A. Three tents and a truck.
  19. PineyMountainRacing

Oddometer:
    the only segment that goes thru Tribal land is Washington Creek, once you get to the top and start down Dicks Creek you’re off Cherokee Land. I have run into the tribal police many times up on Dick’s Creek but in the past as long as you had a tagged bike, you were fine. They were always looking for drugs, poachers and untagged ATVs. But now that you mention it, IDK if there are any restrictions in place due to CV19. To be safe you could just run down 441 or 19 and pick up Conleys Creek, you’ll have a full day even if you skip Dicks Creek. If the rain holds tomorrow AM I’ll run up over Big Laurel and scout it and the crossings. I rode it in October but that’s the last time.
    CoatsEast likes this.
  20. PineyMountainRacing

Oddometer:
    Missed the other question,sry.. Washington and Dick’s meet at the top. Actually there is a 4 way intersection up there. The other 2 roads go up and down that ridge. For years we road them, then they were gated. 2 years ago I was so excited to see the gates were gone, I started up the ridge on the KLR, with street tires. Pretty quickly I ran out of traction and skill, and it got ugly. No injury to me, cosmetic damage to bike repaired.

if you go up Wash Creek, at the top you will continue basically straight across the clearing and start down. that little segment comes out on Dicks Creek, turn right and follow it down. If you turn left it winds around in there for ever. You will want a small bike with good tires if you don’t stay on Dicks Crk.
    Amphib, JRowland and klaviator like this.