Riding North Carolina, TN and VA

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Extremenc, Jan 23, 2017.

1. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Years ago rode some dual sport with the MSTA. Know Brick and Doug.
  2. CoatsEast

CoatsEast 1999 R1100GS, 2007 G650X

Oddometer:
    I did a lot of gravel exploring throughout the Cherokee NF leaving this for last... Was able to find the entrance road and got started but after just a few minutes came to a deep drop with a rutted out and still muddy middle to straddle -- doable and I was inching over it (knowing I shouldn't) when a monster jeep came up the other direction. We chatted a bit about what was down below and I had no good way to get past him or he me, so I backed it up (not easy) and found another route out. Good thing too as a thunderstorm popped up and would have quickly turned it to mud. Wish I had the bike -- the original reason for looking at this route.

I'd say you definitely need at least a small lift and bigger mud / AT tire right now. The 265//60/18s probably not what i need. Good shakedown. My tires are almost worn out so no I know.
    JRowland likes this.
  3. CoatsEast

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this! This looks like a great route -- esp the middle part from Big Laurel trough Tellico Gap! I hope I can find this next time I'm up that way!
    justBert and JRowland like this.
  4. CoatsEast

Oddometer:
    Great route suggestions AND an old school R1100GS! Love it (I have one too). ... playing with maps to rough this in for a future ride!

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Cat...2c!2m2!1d-83.9495441!2d34.6924682!2m1!1b1!3e0

more route work to be done obviously but some great ideas
    JRowland likes this.
  5. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know both of them. I met them in the early 90s at HSTA rallies, before the name change to MSTA. I ran into Brick last year at the Tellicafe. I hadn't seen Doug since 2015 in WV. It was great seeing him again him again last week.
  6. scfrank

Oddometer:
    We may have ran into each other. I rode some with the MSTA around 2003-08. Rode with John, Matt and Joe out of Greenville. Did some dual sports in Erwin, TN. Also knew Jim Randall, rest his soul.

Know Brick well, we’re both from Columbus, OH.
    klaviator likes this.
  7. tireatr

tireatr Let's go for a ride

Oddometer:
    Doesn’t everyone know Brick?
  8. scfrank

Oddometer:
    Yes. He has more friends than anybody I know.
    klaviator likes this.
  9. klaviator

Oddometer:
    May, 2019 at the Tellicafe.

[​IMG]
    JRowland and scfrank like this.
  10. CheapB

CheapB Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^ thanks klaviator, you just broke the thread! :lol3

:hide
    JRowland and klaviator like this.
  11. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Well, someone just needs to fix it!
    JRowland likes this.
  12. CheapB

Oddometer:
    btw, I feel like the lost sheep, I don't know Brick... sometimes I think we should have our own rally of all of the supporters of this thread. :D

We could set up headquarters at Mountain View... :dunno
  13. klaviator

Oddometer:

Set it up. I can always use an excuse for heading up to that area.

BTW, I'll be back in the area AUG 2-7 in Maggie Valley with about 30 inmates. Most of them are scooter trash so stay away unless you want to be infected with the Scooter Virus:D
  14. tireatr

tireatr Let's go for a ride

Oddometer:
    ^ There you go Cheap. A whole new marketplace, flipping scooters.
    JRowland and CheapB like this.
  15. CheapB

Oddometer:
    :lol3 I ain't skeered! Not a bad ideer?!? :beer
    JRowland and Rusty Rocket like this.
  16. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    tried to get out early and beat the storms, ran thru Sylva and down 107, picked up 281and headed out to Charleys Creek / Wolf Mountain Area, with plans to have an early lunch on the WM rock face. This was the series of loops I wanted to ride, when I finished up I’d hit the Parkway and ride over to Balsam and then home.

C6131073-3925-4543-9434-AC92895CC35B.jpeg

some of it gravel, some 2 lane.

Neddie Mtn Rd

435F3632-99E4-47B7-94D5-79B8371F7391.jpeg

1A859773-F173-45F6-B11D-A0BF2DE1F90F.jpeg

Wolf Mtn Rd

5E561537-1AD4-4E7F-889B-C7BBE4BBA8DC.jpeg

0B0FC924-DCE2-4C1C-8C91-7BC5B36BA893.jpeg

the storms were building all around, the thunder was pretty cool coming from all directions. When I left Sylva all the weather was to the north. Had a drink of water and decided to forgo lunch and skedaddle out if there since I’ve been caught in the rain every day so far. And the north 1/2 of WM Rd can be a handful with street tires, and this time it did not disappoint.

10143CDA-5F73-4F15-8869-0F9B0E0121DE.jpeg

Rode WM Rd north to Charleys Creek, down Neddie Mtn Rd again to 281 and home 5 minutes before the storm hit.
    I need a full day to explore all the connectors between 281 - 215 - 276 south of the BRP. I rode all of those back in 2014 when I first got my 1190, I remember wishing I was on a smaller bike back then. But it doesn’t look like the weather will cooperate the next few days.
    justBert, tireatr, pir8liner and 6 others like this.
  17. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    That weather was supposed to stay north of me too said the radar, cats and dogs at noon and for a while. I really like your map.
  18. AlH

AlH Long timer

Oddometer:
    That rock face is known as Horseshoe Rock.
    I've ridden Wolf Mtn Rd many times.
    Got on it once when they were logging a large area in there.
    The skidders had churned the road up good- got stuck in axle deep mud- was alone and thought I'd never get the bike out.
    There is a side dead end road, a couple of miles away, that goes to near Dill Falls in that area- was on it one day and stopped for a break at the end- all of a sudden I heard a huge crash- the sound of a VERY large tree falling in the woods..
    I thought uh-oh what if that fell across the road?! I envisioned having to call the wife- who was at the camper at Mt Pisgah CG- and telling her to go buy a chainsaw and come to lat lon XXXXXXXXX.
    Luckily it did not fall across the road- in fact never spotted it on the way out...fun times.

gratuitous pic from October 2015- not long after I got the DR650

horseshoerockDR650.jpg

Attached Files:

19. SwampyDeadHead

SwampyDeadHead Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I will be in Bryson City next week with my KLX250 to escape the Florida heat. I was up there two weeks ago and was reluctant to get too deep into the woods alone and without the In reach.

I found this thread by searching for areas to ride south of Whittier. Last time in was in BC a friendly local told me to go ride up Conley’s Creek Rd and around cowee mountain. Didn’t go up there last trip but plan to next week. If anyone wants to ride Monday through Friday I’ll be available. The wife will be working remotely from the AirBNB so I pretty much have to be gone from 8 till 5.
  20. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    well, bad timing. I’m siting on my porch in Whittier looking up at Big Laurel, which is where Conleys Creek ends up before it starts down to Franklin. It’s pretty easy gravel, the water crossings at the top aren’t a big deal. And you should have cell service since Verizon has a repeater up there on Big Laurel.

I decided earlier today to head back to Sarasota in the morning. I think the weather will get worse starting Wednesday and may be hard to even get out of the mountains. And I need to be in FL this weekend. I’d love to run around with you if I was going to be here. Be safe!