Riding North Carolina, TN and VA

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Extremenc, Jan 23, 2017.

1. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yesterday @justBert came over to my back yard. We rode through Cataloochee and over FS288.

722E3618-80AC-403F-BB9A-F9302C538E6F.jpeg

Saw my first Rattlesnake in Martha Sundquist

DAC70BE5-2F6D-4653-B929-BF2EA14FF086.jpeg

Grassy Fork

FB0A81F0-B5AF-4C3F-9BC3-102C7DBEEF96.jpeg

Bert educated me up here on the difference between big bike friendly and big bike doable. This climb (and descent) wasn’t friendly, period :lol3

The beginning of Halls Top sucks now that they “improved” it with a billion cubic yards of gravel. At the intersection of Stone Mountain Tower all was good again. Hopefully the SXS peeps and some harsh weather get it back to being fun.

F7C3BA99-3988-47D8-A121-A9CC0B449CDC.jpeg

Time was up so we jumped on I40 in Newport TN and rolled home the fast way. Sorry I took off Bert I get an itch coming through the gorge just about always. Great riding with you again :thumb
  2. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:

Yeah, I had thoughts going up to the vortac... Hmmm, would this be fun on a smaller bike? On the AT, it was don't stop, don't stop, don't stop. Fortunately that bike is a tractor and was only limited by the rider. :lol3
    blalor, CheapB, justBert and 2 others like this.
  3. JRowland

Oddometer:
    Momentum is definitely your friend on the way up and your enemy on the way down. I ate it once coming down in the past and didn’t enjoy it. Reminded me of when you lose a ski on a black diamond slope.
    blalor, strommonster, CheapB and 3 others like this.
  4. Amphib

Oddometer:
    I had to get the abs off in a hurry. Tried combining engine brake, pumping rear brake. I made it without dropping the bike... Closest I came was that exposed culvert, picked a horrendous line, but managed to throttle through. Was surprised how well the tractionator GPS did on that loose stuff.
  5. justBert

justBert Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks to @JRowland for another great day of riding! Maybe next time we do the GRAVELHALA.
    JRowland, klaviator and Amphib like this.
  6. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like some animal tracks in that rock!

7. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are strange indentations, obviously not natural. Not sure how.

A lot of partying there I think. I’m sure there’s a story.
    JRowland and motocopter like this.
  8. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Renting a Jeep and heading up October 1st thru the 4th. Just my wife and I this time. Stayed in Maggie Valley the last trip, and we're looking for somewhere new. How is Lake Lure? Any other suggestions. Mostly just a get away. Sight seeing and exploring in the Jeep is the idea of the trip. Sushi recommendations welcome.
    CheapB and Truett08 like this.
  9. JRowland

Oddometer:
    The best sush I’ve found is either Green Tea or Zen Sushi in Asheville. Zen is the budget choice, but not budget sush if you know what I’m saying.
  10. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:

lake lure, you can spend a day walking around chimmey rock
    strommonster likes this.
  11. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    Our favorite is Blue Ginger at the Tryon Equestrian Center.
    JRowland likes this.
  12. scfrank

Oddometer:
    One day is all you need in Lake Lure/Chimney Rock. Too crowded on the weekends. There are folks that live there around here.
    Boatman and bykemike like this.
  13. Robco

Robco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sake sushi off of hwy 9 heading into black mountain is also a good choice. Asheville is also full of breweries that can be explored without shifting into 4wd if your into that scene. IMG_20200905_165854789_HDR.jpg
    Amphib and JRowland like this.
  14. AlH

AlH Long timer

Oddometer:
    Plan for an extra day if you make it to the top of Chimney Rock and continue on the trail up to Hickory Nut Falls....your legs will need some recovery time. :-)
    scfrank, Amphib and JRowland like this.
  15. Amphib

Oddometer:
    Been doing a lot of work to the bike lately prepping it for my trip. Wasn't even thinking.... This was last Sunday. Did a pavement loop shakedown ride though lake lure, HWY 9, green river cove rd.....

Labor day weekend......

Holy Mother of pearl the freaking crowds. Took over 45 minutes to get through chimney rock. Everything was open and you'd never know there was a pandemic going on. An absolute zoo. The traffic was terrible everywhere. Green River cove was downright dangerous with tourists not handling the switchbacks properly. You couldn't just pull over and wait because of the volume. Trucks, rvs, rafting busses needed both lanes to make the turns.... People stopping midway because they get scared or something. I should have skipped the ride that day.

I guess it's revenue for the local business during a painful year.

+1 for green tea sushi! We love that place.
  16. tireatr

tireatr Let's go for a ride

Oddometer:
    Unless you don’t mind crowds, Any time in October I would avoid all mountain tourist spots like the plague, er I mean Covid. The only way around this is to go during the week.
    ncrambler, Amphib and Boatman like this.
  17. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:

I live a couple miles south of Lake Lure. Made the same mistake on Sunday! Lived here since 2015 and have never seen that much traffic in Chimney Rock. Usually takes 35 minutes to get the H'ville, was an hour forty five minutes on Sunday.That said... usually isn't bad after Labor Day. It'll pick up a bit for leaf season but nothing like that.
    ncrambler, tireatr and Amphib like this.
  18. Amphib

Oddometer:
    Yeah. I truly wasn't thinking. If you knew me personally at all, you'd know that I don't do crowds. :lol3

I'm the guy in the grocery store or Lowes with a full cart, gets up to the register and with long congested lines, people all up against each other, trying to keep aisles passable... I've been known to just walk away from the cart and leave. (even pre covid). I do fly because I understand the time convenience, but don't do public transport, concerts, crowded bars.... If there's a long line, I turn around and leave.

Thank goodness for the rural places around here.
  19. tireatr

tireatr Let's go for a ride

Oddometer:
    I truly believe it was a combination of the on going Covid house arrest and the beautiful weather this past weekend. I spent my time on landscaping and riding lesser known roads. When faced with the decision to ride home to Little Switzerland from Cashiers I opted to NOT to ride home through DuPont, Hendo, and Lake Lure as I would have liked to. The thought made me shudder.
    Amphib likes this.
  20. scfrank

Oddometer:
    We all should pick a day and get together at straightaway cafe. Covid screenings, of course. :evil
    CheapB, Robco, tireatr and 2 others like this.