Riding North Carolina, TN and VA

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Extremenc, Jan 23, 2017.

1. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:

worth the walk, and thats coming from a fat guy

seems like going east right before the bridge there was hotel that around back had a tiki/biker bar on the river with horse shoes

that wasn't a bad place to kill time
    scfrank likes this.
  2. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm, so maybe Lake Lure isn;t the best choice. Any other less touristy areas? We've got no real plans other than just getting out of middle GA.
  3. BaldKnob

BaldKnob I Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    Tellico Plains
  4. AlH

AlH Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lots of other places to explore- you said Oct 1-4 so at least you'll be ahead of most of the hordes of leaf peepers.
    We are gonna be camped at Linville Falls off the BRP the last 2 weeks of October- due to leaf crowds we may not go much of anywhere from there. Linville Falls itself just down the road from the campground will be a zoo.
  5. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don’t be scared off. It depends upon what you’re looking for. Lake Lure/Chimney Rock is touristy. Crowded on the weekend.

Asheville is cool, but is a city.

Hot Springs is nice. Small town. Max Patch is nearby.
    bykemike likes this.
  6. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What about lodging in or around Lake Lure?
  7. ncrambler

ncrambler Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lived here my whole life and figured out a long time ago to just stay away from the tourist areas during the season. It's just crazy sometimes. And just f*&cking dangerous.
    scfrank and Amphib like this.
  8. ncrambler

ncrambler Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is this tower (radar) on Halls Top or Stone Mountain? I'm not real familiar with that area.
  9. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:

Wow.... are you my long lost twin??
    Amphib likes this.
  10. tireatr

tireatr Let's go for a ride

Oddometer:
    That is one of the challenges of Lake Lure. Lots of houses to rent, but only a few hotels. You can Google them. Esmerelda is the nicest, but it’s also $260/night and likely more on the weekend.

If you are looking for a unique getaway with lots of Hiking and small towns, check out the Big Lynn Lodge in Little Switzerland. It’s an older motel, but clean and convenient. It’s around $120/night, but with that you get breakfast and Dinner. The food isn’t 5 star, but it’s consistently good. Some of Their rooms even overlook the valley and some long range views.
    Sonny S., scfrank and BMWbikeh like this.
  11. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    Check out Hickory Falls Guesthouse. We have had friends stay there a couple times and were happy with the accommodations and cleanliness.
  12. scfrank

Oddometer:

+1 on the Big Lynn. Great views!
    Sonny S. likes this.
  13. StevieVVet

StevieVVet Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Stayed at the Willowbrook Inn of Lake Lure a few years back. Clean and quiet. Make sure you get the side away from the road if road noise bothers you. Really low key with the key in an envelope on the door. I'd go back in a heartbeat with the Wifey.

Larkins on the Lake has good food and you can't beat the view.
    scfrank likes this.
  14. scfrank

Oddometer:
  15. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    Halls Top, Stone Mountain Tower is an in and out that goes left. Maybe halfway through Halls Top. My directions are running it from South to North.

0C9406DD-45E2-4C0F-BA8C-AD7B9BE5C55B.png
    ncrambler, Amphib and Boatman like this.
  16. tireatr

tireatr Let's go for a ride

Oddometer:
    Wow I’ve seen that sign for 20 years and never heard of anyone who stayed there but they do seem like a nice place. Was hard to google that name lol
  17. scfrank

Oddometer:
    The website looks nice.
  18. JRowland

Oddometer:
    My brother is having a bunch of friends down to Maggie for a vintage bike invitational they’re calling it. Pretty sure I’ve brought it up in this thread but not sure and it’s next week. It’s looking to be about 40 riders so far from all over the country. Quite a few are Motorcycle Cannonball alumni and it should be cool. I was asked to come up with 3 rides and lead them. We just finished pre riding 1 and 2 the past two days and I figured I’d post them up. I had parameters to meet and these fit them time wise for the audience but they’re still great rides even if the stops don’t matter for you.

#1 I called Knuckle Sandwich and it really is an ass kicker. I got to ride it with Matt Walksler (from Wheels Through Time Museum), Charlie and Billy from The American Motordrome Wall of Death, and my brother. Matt hauls ass and builds all his bikes to be as fast as they can. So for a ‘36 Knuckle his bike was fast and he can ride. Matt, Billy, and I rode #1 leaving nothing out there except scrapes on the pavement from low hanging parts. It was so much fun, I had no idea these old bikes could do what we did.

308717B7-F998-4F13-AE30-9EA5911D15AB.jpeg

Matt’s hopped up Knucklehead

71D4BC1E-C6AE-4022-B95B-370C7DD28864.jpeg

0A2D0C85-3C23-4DC0-8EC7-6688E0233A27.jpeg

Ride #2 I called Lone Wolf, why is obvious to anyone who recognizes the area. All 3 rides have some gravel, this one has Diamond Creek which also has a stream crossing and beautiful waterfall on an uphill, not exactly smooth, 3 or 4 mile stretch of gravel. The rest is pretty scenic but nice and twisty as well. No rest, I’m going to implore these people to keep their heads about them and pay attention or it may hurt.

We had water in the fuel on the ‘48 Panhead in the morning. It was amazing to me to see Billy remove most of the carb, clean the jet, and set the valve clearance in an hour (ish) on the side of the road.

817C4BD9-30E8-4527-9CD9-6F2199F145B4.jpeg

No Matt meant no shenanigans today, but it was still fun.

758E7722-41EA-4D40-9232-EA2BA27CAD6C.jpeg

This 1931 Harley VL belongs to one of the riders coming, his dad and mom will be 2 up on it. I asked my brother about the stream crossing and rougher gravel and he said they love that stuff. I’m so interested in seeing this.

8BBD190F-6EC1-4918-B1F3-F45CC699146E.jpeg

The old men were bitching about aching bones halfway through yesterday and now need a rest, so ride 3 pre run will happen Monday. I’ll try to get more pics and I’ll throw the route up. It’s called Twisted Tourist Traps and is a waterfall ride.

So here’s two good road rides based out of Maggie for anyone looking for something other than the usual suspects.

Attached Files:

dp064, CheapB, popscycle and 9 others like this.
  19. JRowland

Oddometer:
    I’m only seeing #1 so here’s #2 again just in case. These post funny with all the straight lines and that’s screwing the true mileage up too. It is what it is, both around 140 miles.

Lone Wolf

Attached Files:

dp064, klaviator, Gadawg803 and 6 others like this.
  20. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stayed at Big Lynn last year. Highly recommended !!
    dp064 and tireatr like this.