1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Riding North Carolina, TN and VA

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Extremenc, Jan 23, 2017.

1. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don’t think so, it is smaller. Maybe they use the lake as a reserve and the line feeds one of the giant pipes though?
  2. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    here’s the one on Old River Rd

53EDE777-5E7B-48BD-990F-8A08EA2CF238.jpeg
    Uke, SwampyDeadHead and JRowland like this.
  3. Ken Hooligan

Ken Hooligan aka Hooligan LT

Oddometer:
    RECOVERED 9/30

My bike was stolen last night in East AVL, keep an eye out. 2012 DRZ.

IMG_20200909_121928~2.jpg
    Uke likes this.
  4. tireatr

tireatr Let's go for a ride

Oddometer:
    Asheville has a lot of thieves. Motor bikes and pedal bikes get lifted often.

sorry this happened to you.
  5. Ken Hooligan

Oddometer:
    I've always heard that, only been here for a couple months and found out the hard way. At least it happened just after my epic trip to CO and UT and not before...
    tireatr likes this.
  6. StevieVVet

StevieVVet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Heading out to Maggie Valley NC this Saturday then on to Mammoth Cave KY. My question is my route out of MV thru Pigeon Forge is on the Blue Ridge Parkway. With all the leaf peepers and massive increase in RV's, should I slab it around this area or is the BRP still ride-able. Don't want to waste my time stuck behind a line of RV's or traffic.

Also, are many rural roads washed out. With the heavy rainfall in the area. I will be taking Route 85 below Allred, TN. The old satellite image show that road was once washed out.

Thanks for any input.
  7. tireatr

Oddometer:
    ^ unless you have extreme patience and time do NOT ride the parkway in Oct. Tues-Thursday could be better but it’ll be a leaf gawking horror for a motorcyclist.

I really like the parkway and often ride it mornings and evenings but the section between Asheville and SMNP is just crazy in the fall.
  8. StevieVVet

Oddometer:
    Any recent road wash outs. That was a real problem problem awhile back.
  9. tireatr

Oddometer:
    ^Not sure? I’ve been all over WNC recently and the roads seems pretty good.
  10. bykemike

bykemike "ready to navigate" Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not WNC but the Roanoke VA area is still closed I believe. This section has been shut down for a while and I can't seem to get a good version of why.

I've heard all kinds of crazy reasons,. Does anyone know the real deal?

The short go around is ok, but it can be congested at times.
  11. AlH

AlH Long timer

Oddometer:
    Section of BRP washed out.

https://www.wsls.com/news/local/202... Part of the Blue Ridge,Route 24 to Adney Gap.
    bykemike likes this.
  12. JRowland

Oddometer:
    That one exit of Parkway riding between Maggie and Cherokee is mostly downhill, I doubt you’ll get too jammed up there. 441 through the park however, good luck with that. Taking I40 around won’t be any quicker. The most fun way is gravel, Cove Creek Rd. to the Old Cataloochee Turnpike/Mount Sterling Rd. to TN 32 to 321. As for washouts between Maggie and Pigeon Forge none yet that I’ve encountered.
  13. StevieVVet

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the input. I guess I’ll skip breakfast till severville and hopefully get thru there early Sunday morning while they are waking up, have Bfast or going to church.
  14. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    Instead of Chimney Rock, consider Table Rock. There's a looooooooong dirt road to get there (something like 12 miles), and it's pretty hairy for most car drivers. Sports cars shouldn't attempt it (too low), a camry can do it slowly, but will still drag parts if not driven carefully, and an SUV of any type won't have a problem. The road is fun and not too technical, with some paved sections here and there in the middle, but mostly dirt. And absolutely a BLAST to ride at a decent clip. When I went the whole boone area was completely swamped with tourists, they were everywhere. Grandfather mountain's main entrance was closed to anyone except people who had made reservations, and the secondary entrances were PACKED with cars parked miles away on the street. But table rock had five cars in the parking lot. I passed two or three cars going up, but they must have stopped somewhere halfway because after my hike the parking lot still had three cars in the lot (two had left) and they appeared to be the same cars.

It's a great hike up to table rock and there are a lot of other features and trails that connect and go down into linville gorge. You could spend days hiking and camping there, and table rock is the least trafficked of all ways into linville gorge, from what I've seen.

Charles.
    eedavis and tireatr like this.
  15. Cycleruss

Cycleruss Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A big thanks to @JRoland and @justBert for showing me two days of great riding on roads that I never would have found on my own. It was a wonderful experience.
    dp064, JRowland and justBert like this.
  16. JRowland

Oddometer:
    It was great to meet you Russell, I had a great time!
    Cycleruss, dp064 and justBert like this.
  17. Ken Hooligan

Oddometer:
    Bike was recovered in Hendo today, jag offs did a lot off damage in just a few days...
  18. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. Ken Hooligan

Oddometer:
    They found it in the street, didn't catch the punks best I know.
  20. Brett Berisford

Brett Berisford Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From Ohio, I’m currently In Marion VA. My rough plan was to ride MABDR north, but western NC is very inviting. Does anyone here have suggestions or routes they would be willing to share of NW NC? Boone area, Grandfather Mt, etc- but north of Asheville- backroads and FS roads?